Stihl HS 81 R / HS 81 T

Stihl HS 81 R / HS 81 T

HS 81 R and HS 81 T

See the Best Hedge Trimmers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

After three or so weeks of continous use I would have to say I am very happy with the performance of this trimmer. I have a range of trimmers both Stihl an Husqvarna. I tend to use only two. The stihl for finer work as it is lighter and closer teeth with less power. But more than enough for what it is designed for. And the big Husky for more overgrown work as it has loads of power and cuts down very large things, for a hedge trimmer.

I would certainly recomend this hedger to another professional or even as home use if you can justify the money.
I have used one of these for a few weeks. It was a great little trimmer. It is light and nice to use.
It has an exhaust that has an adapter fasing it toward the cutting blades witch is a great idea for when you are shaping larger delicate plants.
I could not fault this machine.

If you are looking for a top quality hedge cutter look no further,if maintained correctly you will have years of trouble free service.The HS81 R model with its lower blade speed and wider teeth spacing is more suited to heavy cutting back,where as the T model is more adapted to trimming.In summary after the initial outlay you will glad you bought stihl.
Durable and highly reliable,starts with minimum fuss every time,one of the best hedgecutters on the market.I use mine all day every day,with no problems at all.
As with all Stihl products they are very expensive,especially over here in good old Blighty!This particular model is best suited for the professional user.

Excellent tool for the garden

Have had the HS81T for 8 weeks now using it 2 - 3 times a week and have found it excellent for those regular trimming jobs as they come up real neat, it makes the job easier to do, have found that also anything that fits between the blades it cuts no problems as it has plenty of power.
Have been using a Honda hedge trimmer for the past 5 years as this will probably get replaced in the future by a HS81R for those thicker cuts required.
Light, powerfull, precise with fine trimming, very well built, exhaust points away from user.
Its on the expensive side but you get what you pay for.

From a professionals standpoint, look no further than the HS81R. I can't comment on the HS81T because I haven't used it but if it's as good as the HS86T(got one of those too)it will indeed be a very refined,precise and above all tough as nails and reliable.
This hedger is tough beyond words. I know I'm a horticuluralist. About a year ago we had to trim a melaluca maze that was overgrown by over 2 mitres in most areas. We had 3 hedgers of different brands,all so refered to as "PROFESSIONAL" the only one still running after 5 days was our trusty old HS81R.Honest to god truth. The (admittedly old) husky threw a leg out of bed, nearly through the neck of a fellow employee. By the grace of god he wasn't hurt(he was holding it at shoulder height). The Shindaiwa died on the 4th day(blow coil).Top class product. Yet to see anything better
Maybe a bit more power? Why is the most powerful engine in the smallest hedger, the HS45? The 45 has way too much power for it's size.

If the blades do not engage, what can I do to troubleshoot?
I had this problem once on a cold morning. Start of with loosening all the nuts that hold the blades together a couple of turns to make sure they are not stuck or rusted together, give it some lube spray and maybe start it up and give it some low revs to see if it moves then, Stihl now have there own hedge trimmer spray called Superclean that works really well with lubricating and cleaning sap off the blades, I use it after every use. If this doesn't work I would suggest flipping the machine and taking off the silver gearbox cover to make sure the teeth on gears are not stripped,connecting pins are not broken or there is no dark burnt looking grease as this could be connecting rod seizure from lack of grease. careful if you get game and start removing connecting rods (2 of them) as they have about 20 or so small needle roller bearings in each of them. If you do find a problem in there, all parts are replaceable. Its very important that you grease the gearbox especially through the grub screw as it gets the grease in the right areas. Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Stihl HS 81 RStihl HS 81 T