Strong Rock-Box 4

Strong Rock-Box 4

See the Best Networked Media Players in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Entertainment completed

We use this everyday! Catching up on series, watching movies, documentaries.... anything you could think of is on here. Access to Netflix and YouTube as well. If something you want to watch isn’t on there there is an option to request it to be uploaded! This product has saved my sanity these Christmas holidays!!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great streaming tool

Rock box 4 is so good, you can stream all episodes of your favourite shows even latest episodes. So many movies to watch I am so happy with it. My son borrowed it for a week and decided he couldn't live without it so he got one too, and now he is very happy as well.

Could Be Better (with a hammer).

The most important point is that this is an ANDROID box and it handles like a computer rather than a standard PVR or DVD. The remote is just OK and you really need a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
It connects to the interweb via a 10/100 LAN or WiFi (b,g,n). If you don't want to connect, ANY Android box might not be for you.
There are enough apps pre-installed to find and watch online or local movies, calculate your tax, play silly games, design a house, use facebook, skype or netflix. etc. Get an account with the Google Store to get other apps to access a MASSIVE variety of paid, free, legal and not-so-legal stuff (and subscribe to a VPN).
You get four USB ports and one SD card slot to plug in your collection of home movies and it will play just about all formats, but you may need the right app. The USBs have enough guts to run a portable HDD or charge a phone.
The docs say HDDs can be FAT32 or NTFS up to 2TB, but mine will only accept FAT32, which is a pest. You need to find someone with a Mac to format it BEFORE you load it with movies. FAT32 limits you to 4GB files and shorter filenames (includes the full folder name).
To sum it up, this is a good unit for geeks like me but a terrible unit for my wife.
LATE EDIT...
I can't find ONE SINGLE app which plays ALL of the common formats.
Playing a series of shows with different formats required significant juggling between apps.
Every one of the player apps lacked something important eg pause, stop, bookmark, aspect ratio.
I don't doubt a good player exists, but I couldn't find one.
Playback was frequently skipping frames, pixelated and had out of sync audio.
The machine locked up quite a few times.
Browsing through folders to find movies is a pain in the neck, as is arranging all your app icons.
The manual helps you set it up, but not use it (like any computer).
I took it back for a refund and re-wrote this review.

Hi. What server are people using to watch stuff on Rock Box? We used to use Kodi, and I think Covenant,, now nothing seems to work.
I use apks now like cinnima titanium, typhoon,tea tv,zion.because kodi do sent always work.but I don't have rock-box now because the one I had couldn't be updated on android so nothing would work.now I have nvidia shield and firestick

when i go into HD movies click on movie the video play comes up with the google files to pick which I do then i get message can not play this video can anyone help how to get the movies to play
If you can choose another player it may play or there may be no stream for that movie.hope it's helpful but I don't know about Google files and I don't use hd moviesOk thankyou

I have apps that have stopped working. I'm wondering if anyone can help? Knows how to fix this error message. I have latest version of movies hd but it has stopped working also flix tv. These were really the only apps I have been using. Netflix works fine and so does 7 plus and 9. I had purchased the rock box with the apps on it so I'm afraid to do a factory reset in case I loose the apps. Please help me!
Your apks may need an update.I don't use rockbox now because you I can't up date it to android7.1 or the new android