Sunbeam KE8850

Sunbeam KE8850

MPN: KE8850R

GOOD DESIGN WINNER??? Sunbeam stainless steel Marc Newson kettle, but overpriced crap.

Purchased in July 2019 at trading site.

Noise Level

Hi Colin Smythe K,
Sorry to hear. All I can say is I will pass the feedback on.

Colin Smythe K.

PS after a couple of months of use in a fairly dark corner of the kitchen, the lid has noticeably faded / whitened. So it's barely even cute anymore. That will teach me. hehe. eugh.

Matt

MattIllawarra, NSW

Kettle stopped after 2.5 years. I am disappointed.

We like the kettle for its look and design however our stopped working after 2.5 years. After closer inspection, I believe the design of the pin connector which takes the full force every time you use it (full of water) has started to wobble and therefore it only heats if we hold the kettle slightly up and on a slight angle. Considering the value of these kettle (RRP), Im still wondering if it may be better to buy a cheap Kmart kettle if the assumed life expectancy is only 2-3 years. I am disappointed.

Purchased in February 2017.

Noise Level

Hi Matt,
So sorry to hear this. Please be assured your feedback has been passed on to our product team. Kind Regards, Sunbeam.

RhysGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Most poorly designed kettle I have ever owned.

I paid $199 for a kettle that doesn't even have a water level gauge, is so heavy that its hard to tell if its empty or full, and the lid is so impossible to remove that if you wrangle with it while there is still hot water inside, you're likely to be scolded with water, and within 12 months of owning it, it started leaking.
Aren't i stupid. I really got duped by Sunbeam on this one, they must be laughing up there in their boardroom, saying we can't believe people are paying $199 for this!
I have a $9 Kmart kettle for camping that has a water gauge and automatic pop up lid... Come on Sunbeam, its not hard. As for Mr Newson, whoever he is, I feel he may have chosen the wrong field, if he can't master designing a functional kettle.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Rhys, so sorry to hear you are disappointed with the design of this kettle and it has started leaking. Please contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 after the New Year break and we will be happy to assist further.

Jill Langtree

Jill Langtree

Marc Newson Kettle

What a gorgeous green and silver kettle
Couldn't resist the design and colours.
It's so different than the others on the my.
Strong construction. Nifty design and handle.
Just love it so much.
The metal base of kettle won't tarnish or flake like my old one.
Clean looking and great shape.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Thanks again Jill!

Sharon

SharonMelbourne

Lever problem with kettle

Bought the matching toaster and kettle June 2017 for a birthday gift for my son. Being a Marc Newson fan he was delighted but the lever on kettle has recently snapped off. Cannot be repaired. Very expensive kettle for lever to snap of. Most disappointing for money that was spent. Unfortunately I no longer have receipt as bought more than 12 months ago so unable return to store, cannot purchase another in Red or at same price as no longer available.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

sunbeam kettle leaking

Got given matching sunbeam kettle/ toaster .. as brought the sunbeam mixer myself 4 mths ago now leaking but have no receipt so not happy .. alway have sunbeam ..and see other people having the same troubles .. so hoping can return it to replace it Harvey Norman Ararat & don’t have the same problem

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Flawed design - hand gets burnt if you hold the handle in the wrong place.

The handle is awkward - if you hold it in the wrong place (but where you would normally grab the handle for ease of use) it is burning hot - as are the sides of the kettle. The lid is hard to remove and it has no water gauge. The lid over heats. I wouldn’t recommend this kettle at any price. Particularly not for children or elderly to hold.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Imperfection at its worst!!

I purchased 2 sets of kettle and toaster to match 1 month ago. First kettle malfunctioned at "on/off switch" 3 weeks ago. Second kettle malfunctioned in same place last night. Extremely poor quality for an expensive item. My previous Sunbeam kettle lasted me for over 15 years. I am extremely disappointed with this purchase and equally inconvenienced.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Very disappointing

Had a Morphy Richards that leaked around the water gauge so bought this Sunbeam just over 12 months ago (of course Warranty is 12 months) just started full blown leaking through the base electrics what happened to quality products when you pay these prices you should expect some decent product.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

TomPerth, WA

Quality is very bad

I bought one kettle two weeks ago, I think the quality is not good. I like the design, the handle and the indicate light. When I bought the new one, I found there was a steel ball noise from inside, so I swap another one. Two weeks later, I press button was broken. I want to refund this kettle. The lid is hard to remove and no water level indicate.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Prickle

Prickle

Not Happy

I bought this kettle as it was different however I found the lid difficult to remove and the base not sturdy enough for the size of the kettle
The one thing i did like was the indicator light when the kettle was boiling
After only twelve months use I decided to replace the kettle with a more user friendly, different brand kettle

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Sunbeam Marc Newson Kettle KE8850 Disappointed

I love the retro design, the colour and it pours well. However as the lid is difficult to remove I simply fill through the spout. I am now used to the fact that it doesn't have a level indicator but not good for when the kids use it. The main problem is that I pressed down the on switch and it snapped off. I will be returning the product as I have only had it for 6 weeks. Such a shame.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

John

JohnPerth, WA

Lid is very hard to get off

This is the second kettle ,the first could not get lid off,very dangerous when hot the first kettle was taken back for this reason,and this replacement,is going the same way ,lid is getting hard to get off hope this kettle is not the same,no level indicators so if you fill by the spout ,you don't know how much water is in,very disappointed with this product

Date PurchasedMar 2016

DedbnyMelbourne

Sunbeam KE8850 blue kettle

After alot of time we can say the following.
It works, but there are a number of design flaws. The thing was dinted to the sides. The logos come off. The lids hard to get off. Handle seems to be in odd position for when pouring, not really that natural.

Does work though, just not worth the money. Unfortunatley. Dont recommend it.

Boils alot of water quickly.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Dedbny

Also now after 14 months and minimal use the switch seems broken. Waiting for Sunbeam reply as its a bit of a joke to spend that much money for it to be faulty after that time.

Dedbny

No issues with replacement kettle so far. Myer currently now have it for sale at a more realistic price point. $69.00. Not $199 RR.

LizInner City Sydney, NSW

Should be a great design hit, but, sadly it's a design miss.

Lacks a water gauge that can be seen without taking off the lid, and taking off the lid is not that easy. It's also quite heavy. Would not recommend this kettle for older people who have trouble with lids etc. Looks good, pours well and the colours are great, but I'd expect a lot more attention to detail from a top designer.

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Brendan K.Sunbeam
Liz

Thanks. It's a real shame, I bought it for my mother online, and she doesn't like it at all - for the reasons stated. I really didn't expect those design flaws.