Suzuki SV650

See the Best Sport Touring Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

A very competent All Rounder in a good compact size

There have been many reviews written of this model, all of which have rated the bike as excellent, so this is written after 10 months of ownership from new. The best "commercial" review I have read is "The Bike Show" by Mat Durrans who rated the SV 9.5/10. The .5 deduction was for seat comfort - more of that later.
A review by The "Missendon Flier" mentions only one criticism that I can remember " A flimsy side stand"
To this day, I have no idea what he was referring to - it is a standard dimension Suzuki side stand which I have never had issue with at all.
I use this bike for country road (heaps of cornering), as a general runabout and touring.
Since owning the bike I have fitted it with a Givi small front screen and Hepco and Becker side city panniers and a Corbin seat.
In terms of lightness, sharp steering, performance in all conditions, the bike is simply superb and in reality is all the bike that many people would need.
The engine is turbine smooth and will cruise on any speed you want with no stress and mostly under 5000 rpm. With overtaking at highway speeds I have not so far had to change down to 5th - simply roll on the throttle and go - it has the power and torque to do it comfortably.
Economy wise I can comfortably get 300 - 320 km range in most conditions out of the 14.5L tank using 95 or 98 RON fuel.
Both fuel gauge and range displays are typically a little pessimistic.
The instrument display whilst seeming a little crowded at first actually becomes very easy to read quickly and is one of the best I have seen. The display can be easily read in sunny and night conditions and the standard mode displays no info that is not useful. Full marks.
There is no centre stand, although I believe that SW Motech make one in Europe but not available here to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn't bother. I have found fitting cotton reels and using a rear stand perfect for doing chain maintenance duties. The bike is so light that this is no chore.
Seat Comfort: the standard seat is wide and hard and slopes towards the tank. I found it uncomfortable on anything other than short trips and soon put a sheepskin pad on it which made longer trips bearable.
I have since fitted a Corbin Gunfighter seat which has been the answer and has been thought out very well ergonomically - no more pressure spots around the thighs. They are not cheap here, but for me represented better value than changing the exhaust and still accommodates a pillion easily.
Does it tour? It certainly does that very well and with the side panniers and an Andy Strapz rear bag has been great on long weekend trips away. Suspension is good (not top shelf) and long trips have left me in good physical shape. Last trip was 550km in one day and I felt fine after it. Wind turbulence is almost non existent.
If you carry a pillion regularly on long trips then from an overall comfort point of view (for the pillion), then the Vstrom 650 would be a better bet with its longer wheel base and long travel suspension and the same great engine (I used to own one)
My other bike is a BMW R1150R, which is a superb long distance tourer and brilliant pillion machine and by comparison, the SV650 is not in the same league, but not shamed either.
I have quickly appreciated the compact size and light weight of the SV - much easier to manoeuvre around and get in to tight spaces and the substantial engine performance is an eye opener.
Highly recommended.

Purchased in August 2018.

Noise Level
Fuel Efficiency
Gear Shifting
Handling
Suspension

Come on guys! I don't believe it's only the girls who LOVE these things!

Hi everyone, I am 56 years old and have been riding motorbikes on the road since I was 18. Have owned all sorts since and continue to love the riding experience. Lately I began feeling the need to get something lighter as I am not that tall - 173 cm or 5 ft 8 in - and am not getting any stronger the older I get. I had three bikes in the shed... all Suzukis as a matter of fact, '86 GS125, '83 RG250 Gamma and a '80 GS1000G - shaft drive.
Although it is the most fun I have ever had on a road bike, I decided to let the 250 Gamma go to another enthusiast so I didn't have to deal with the ongoing 2 stroke maintenance issues associated. I have kept the 125 for sentimental reasons and now also sold the 1000 shaftie and purchased a 2005 SV650 with only 14000 Kms on the clock. (March 2019). The idea being that this would replace the BIG bike need AND the FUN bike as well. It certainly has done this. Both light AND powerful... read on...
All I can say is "What a machine!!" I know, I am talking about a whole new breed of machine to the ones mentioned but I was not ignorant to new machines before I bought this one.
After buying the SV I felt the need to make it smoother at low RPMs (it was VERY jerky and almost dangerous going around low speed corners and roundabouts) so with a bit of research I learned how to adjust the throttle position sensor correctly and now with the difference that has made, it is superb. (If you are experiencing these sort of issues with yours then send me a reply. I can point you in the right direction for advice. The issue is quite common on fuel injected models apparently)
Sure, the SV is not as smooth as the 4 cylinder bikes I have owned but this is expected and normal. What an engine! What usable torque! What a lovely sound as well! (Delkevic pipe with the baffle still IN)
Because it weighs just 165 Kg (dry) I look forward to pushing it in and out of the shed and parking it etc. rather than dreading it, and it is actually much quicker than the older but more powerful 1000 due to the power to weight ratio... 85 Kg less weight. (Pulls great wheelies too!).
Not as good for the pillion, but tell me what bike has ever been any better than the GS1000? My wife therefore simply won't go on the back as much now I guess - oh well, I have to make some sacrifices don't I?
This is definitely NOT just a girl's bike as it seems to have gained a reputation for being. (What is all this "girls" bike attitude anyway? They love bikes too don't they)? No, it is, I believe one of the very best motorbikes EVER manufactured and If I am not mistaken, in the future it will probably be remembered as one of the 10 best bikes in the history of motorbiking EVER to have been mass produced when it comes to enjoyment, performance, reliability and especially - VALUE FOR MONEY.
I simply LOVE my new machine! For legal speed riding, highways, twisties, in fact any public sealed roads, you really can't go past one of these things. Oh, and they do the standing quarter mile in around 12.5 seconds... far from gutless!
Everybody NEEDS an SV650!

Purchased in March 2019 at Private sale for $4,200.00.

Noise Level
Gear Shifting
Handling
Suspension

strong motor, reliable, fun

I bought the 2006 SV 650S with 35000 k's, Changed the tyres to Michelin PR 4's, great traction dry and wet. Had a full service and given thumbs up on a great buy. These machines require minimal maintenance, in saying that, fluid changes, chain checks, tyre pressure and this machine will run forever. The handling is exceptional and the big v twin pulls up quick. I am up to 41 500 k's now and thoroughly enjoying the ride. A good learner bike but be careful, there is a lot of power there. For an experienced rider, a lot of fun with plenty of power, great clearance.
My only negative, why don't centre stands come with bikes anymore?

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Perfect LAMS bike

We purchased a Gladius 650 about 8 years ago, it was for my boyfriend and was a great learners bike, good upright position, wasn't too small for a 100kg frame and had some get up and go to it. Also had the gear indicator lights, which is handy for a Learner. When he upgraded to a 1800 I used his bike to commute and found it very smooth and easy to handle. (female 70kgs) was quite low to the ground, so I wasn't bobbing from side to side at the lights and was overall just a really nice easy and comfortable ride. Recently picked up another Gladius new and loving it also have a kawasaki ER6nl. The Gladius is much smoother a ride. Highly recommended as a LAMS bike and as a reliable commuter.

Purchased from City West Motorcycles in Hoppers Crossing, this is approx the 4th bike we've purchased from them and will happily return. Great service and honest.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

This is my 6th motorbike and my favourite. Couldn't afford to buy or maintain a Monster, this is so close to one, but a hell of a lot easier to live with. It has huge grin factor, I am a small woman (5'1") and not much of me, but the bike is so light and forgiving that I can manage it. Put Yoshi slip ons on and now the sound is awfully naughty.
sound, grin factor, quality, power and gearbox.
front headlight a bit dated

This is a very easy bike to ride. Have just upgrated from a Honda CBR125R and I love it. Nice comfy seat and a great upright riding position.
Everything. Looks great & is easy to ride.
Nothing yet - only had for a short time