Suzuki SV650

• Fuel Efficiency
  • Comfort
  • Handling

dx020406AU

Tell me something that is wrong with one of these.

Bought a 2018 650X - that's the cafe version with the low bars and round headlight.
Beautiful engine and at nearly 80hp means that there aren't a lot of guys who can outride one of these.
Handling is great and so fast cornering is easy. A lot of very good bike for the money ($7400 with 6000k on it)
Checked the valve clearances which meant stripping off a bit of gear and they were good but I'm not feeling like doing the shim replacements when due - looks scary. It's a long way removed from the Moto Guzzi V7.
I rode a R E 650 Interceptor before buying this. SV is light years ahead.

Swanny199

Swanny199South East Queensland, QLD

The wolf in LAMS clothing

Purchased in April 2017 at Suzuki Dealers for $8,000.00.

JonnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

A very competent All Rounder in a good compact size

Purchased in August 2018.

Sport Touring Bikes

Find out how Suzuki SV650 compares to other Sport Touring Bikes

Graham

GrahamMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Come on guys! I don't believe it's only the girls who LOVE these things!

Purchased in March 2019 at Private sale for $4,200.00.

andyhere

andyhereAU

strong motor, reliable, fun

I bought the 2006 SV 650S with 35000 k's, Changed the tyres to Michelin PR 4's, great traction dry and wet. Had a full service and given thumbs up on a great buy. These machines require minimal maintenance, in saying that, fluid changes, chain checks, tyre pressure and this machine will run forever. The handling is exceptional and the big v twin pulls up quick. I am up to 41 500 k's now and thoroughly enjoying the ride. A good learner bike but be careful, there is a lot of power there. For an experienced rider, a lot of fun with plenty of power, great clearance.
My only negative, why don't centre stands come with bikes anymore?

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Shinigami

ShinigamiMelbourne, Victoria, 3000

Perfect LAMS bike

Date PurchasedSept 2017

This is my 6th motorbike and my favourite. Couldn't afford to buy or maintain a Monster, this is so close to one, but a hell of a lot easier to live with. It has huge grin factor, I am a small woman (5'1") and not much of me, but the bike is so light and forgiving that I can manage it. Put Yoshi slip ons on and now the sound is awfully naughty.
sound, grin factor, quality, power and gearbox.
front headlight a bit dated

ellenbrae

ellenbrae

This is a very easy bike to ride. Have just upgrated from a Honda CBR125R and I love it. Nice comfy seat and a great upright riding position.
Everything. Looks great & is easy to ride.
Nothing yet - only had for a short time

Sonya 1asked

Hi. I am looking at buying one of these but have been unable to arrange a test ride. The main thing I want to find out about is the ride quality. The riding I do is on bitumen sealed country roads which are in very poor condition and full of bumps and uneven pavement. I previously owned a Z900RS but had to sell it as the ride was too harsh for me. Any advice you may be able to offer would be appreciated.

dx020406

I think the suspension on the SV650 X (note X) is good but ride quality is a very personal thing. Ok so I get the odd hard kick when not being able to dodge some road fault but that can be the same on a lot of bikes.
You don't say what model you are actually looking at.
In the current climate where bikes are in short supply, you won't probably get a test ride. Everything that comes in, goes out quickly. Where are you? Come and ride mine. I have a lot of bikes and the SV is very impressive.

Jonno

The ride quality on my SV is probably as good as you will get out of a naked sports - I have had the suspension on mine modified for the reasons you allude to - harsh ride over poor surfaces without a lot of dampening going on.
The modifications consisted of heavier springs and shims in the front forks with fork oil change and servicing of the rear shock. Total cost around $800 and for me, has transformed the ride - excellent. It is not BMW paralever plush ride and you cannot expect it to be so given the suspension on many bikes is still fairly basic standard.
The trick with suspension modifications done by an expert is that they can set up your bike to your body weight and what you want out of the ride. Maybe you could have done that with your Z900RS instead of selling it!
If you take a standard SV650 for a test ride I doubt you will find the ride any better to your Z900 over rough roads. If the SV's more compact size and weight suits you better (as it does me) then look at getting your suspension modified to suit - you do not need to spend a heap of money to get a huge improvement.

Sonya 1

Thanks guys for the great feedback. Jonno, the suspension mods you mention are exactly what I had done to the Z900RS, and in addition, a Wilbers rear suspension unit, but I still wasn't happy with it. I don't know why the standard low budget suspension on the Yamaha R3 works for me, but I guess now that I have lucked upon something I like, I might be best to stick with that. Thanks again for your time in replying to me.

clogs of old

clogs of oldasked

Greetings,
I have a V Strom 650 A/XA ,unfortunately as I am getting old in the tooth I am looking for a SV650 which is lighter and more maneuverable than my V Strom ,I was informed that one of the SV650 bike you sit a lot higher than some other SV ,can anybody help me please

Jonno

Do not believe that is the case at all. I have also owned a VStrom and I can tell you that the seat height on the SV is much lower than that. Not sure what you mean by "some other SV" - do not believe there would be much difference between the seat height of older SV's or the current model like mine.

dx020406

The SV650 X is a retro styled (somewhat) cafe racer with drop bars. That's what I have so not even suitable.

CategorySport Touring Bikes