Suzuki SV650S

• Handling
  • Suspension
SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Amazing all rounder - and don't let anyone tell you it's not fast enough

Purchased in September 2009 for A$9,000.00.

Noise Level

Great All Rounder

MANX.

MANX.asked

SV650S

Has anyone found a good method of lowering the sv?.. After a few operations on my legs combined with old age i have no hope of getting my leg over the high rear end. I dont know why all modern bikes have pillion seats 5 foot off the ground. MANX.

bigarsebear

you can visit your local shop and they will be able to give you the details on lowering , but you can also remove the pillion seat and put the cover in its place( if you dont have the cover you can buy them ) and that may lower it a bit as well.

goodie78

Lowering (if not done properly) can screw up the geometry of the bike. Would suggest trying to change leg over techniques first such as step through ( leg over main seat) and stand over (bike on stand stand on left peg). Food for thought anyway.

Jeff Eadeasked

SV650S

I am an older rider and while I like the concept of a Japanese Ducati the silly pillion seat and pillion pegs will need addressing.
My current bike is an RD400 Yamaha and it has the late 1970's seating and foot peg arrangement.
This is very suitable for cruising with my beautiful Lady.
The SV650 will need serious work in the pilion accommodation area for it to be comfortable for us older folks, has anyone caried out alterations of this type on a SV650? Jeff Eade

bigarsebear

Hi Jeff Im not sure on your age but im 50 something lol..... while i don't ride on the back of the bike I do take pillions on occasion and all of them except one very tall lass 6'1 found the position reasonably comfortable. Their is the option to recover/upholster the seat to a plusher level and there is hardware available to adjust the peg position , i guess the bike makers cant make it perfect for everyone so i think they look for a happy medium , it up to us to make it perfect .... or keep looking for a bike that is . BTW i love the RD range of bikes i owned 3 of them the 250 the 350lc and the 400 .... loved them all , But love my SV650 and sv1000 better lol. good luck with the sv650 and geting it right for your lady , because it really is a beaut wee bike . cheers Steve W

goodie78

You can still buy universal swing arm mounted pillion pegs. They look dicky but would probably be more comfortable on most roads.

Curtie

Curtieasked

SV650S

Just bought a 2001 Suzuki sv650s. I notice she dips in the front more so when braking. I believe I need to put heavier springs and oil. Any sugestions on what springs I should use? Thanks

goodie78

Heavier oil only will also affect the rebound action of the fork, so be careful. The limitation of the fork is it's lack of adjustment. Heavier springs sound like the go, as well as slightly heavier oil to compensate for the increased rebound.

It's best to take it to a suspension expert, they can match the fork to your weight (static sag) and riding ability. I'd say around $500 would get you a revalved and resprung shock as a guide.

The fork is the disappointing aspect of the SV. Many have done GSXR front end conversions and have reported good results. I don't go that hard, so can tolerate the fork as it is, mine may have had some work over the years as I find mine harsh if anything, it does dive a little initially in the stroke, but I have ridden allot worse.

bigarsebear

Hi Its all dependent on what weight you are , as you need to get springs suitable for you. their are quite a few aftermarket brands out there . I would say go play with google and see whats available in your area. Just a tip ....dont go crazy with heavy weight fork oil , just come up one grade at a time until you find one your happy with, hope this helps cheers and ride safe .

Jeff Eade

I would suggest adjusting the rear to a lower ride height to reduce the weight transfer.
Jeff