Toyota HiLux MK8.I (2015-Present)

Toyota HiLux MK8.I (2015-Present)

Not regretting for buying a Hilux

Bought 2018 Workmate double cab 2.7 l petrol as a new car.

Done close to 500 km now.

Good side:

1. Surprisingly quiet cabin when driving at 60 kph as a Ute.
2. Simple to operate, basic functions just fine to me.
3. If not looking back, I would feel like driving a SUV.

Not so good side:

1. When Rev up, it’s bit noisy. But at 60kph speed, rev is down about 1300 rpm, very quiet driving.
2. On highway cruising at 100kph, rev is at 1900 rpm, feel the rear wheel drive bit noisy. But I suppose I am comparing with my old Territory.

Few feed back:

1. I found Eco mode is useless, I use Power mode all the time that is more responsive.

2. Tyre pressure: book suggests 35 psi front, 42 psi rear. I tried on highway with empty tray, too hard to my brain. I changed to 34 front, 38 rear, feel just right around city trips.

Purchased in May 2019 for $30,990.00.

Year2018

Basic but dependable

We've purchased about 4 Hiluxes recently, as well as Volkswagen Amaroks, Ford Rangers, Holden Colorado, Nissan Navara.
The Toyota Hilux is a safe choice. It has the same vices as any other crew cab ute (basic, bumpy, wheezy) but is generally inoffensive to own.
Volkswagen Amarok is probably the best, Ford Ranger also very good but a bit truck-like. Navaras are cheap, crappy and gutless - whether they have a Nissan or Benz badge, same car haha.
Toyota Hilux is a bit gutless but does the job. (diesel automatic 4x4 crew cab completely empty). Fuel economy is also not very good, 11L/100km on the highway, empty tub, torneau cover, driver only - not good. They need an engine like my Kia Sorento haha, 20% more power and 20% less fuel.
Biggest difference with Toyota Hilux is the resale value; selling any other car before it's paid off will mean you're out of pocket after paying out the loan, but selling a Hilux you've have change left over.
The difference is NOT reliability; our utes are all general use construction supervision vehicles, and out of about 20 utes owned in the last 5 years, the only problems have been with Toyotas, their engines and DPF filter / exhaust problems. A friend had the latest Hilux SR5 (2017) and just out of warranty it packed up costing him thousands of dollars.

Purchased in September 2018 for $49,000.00.

Year2018

Great vehicle

Done 55k,serviced on time by myself,never had any problems. I drive my hilux every day, usually 10 kms to work and back,no dpf issues ever. In saying that i do use the correct dpf oil at services and have minimal idle times. Have never had any driveline clunking i have read about either.I see people believe theres a fuel gauge problem, because they can only get 60 liters in the tank once the low fuel light is on.Isn't this simply a early warning system meaning fuel level is getting low and it will need filling in the next 100 200 kms?Unlike my previous new ute which had many problems from the first month i owned it until i traded it with auto trans problems at 90k ,this hilux was cheaper to buy and much more reliable than the ranger

Purchased in July 2016 for $53,000.00.

Year2016

Poor fuel usage

I purchased a 2017 hilux SR with automatic transmission. Bought this vehicle brand new. It is used as a farm vehicle and on the open highway. Have had all its services done on time at the dealership. I am relatively happy with it. I have done 40k now and have had no mechanical issues with it. From new it has had a higher fuel usage than I expected. Around
13L/100km. Can get around 11.7 on a long run with no load. I have complained to the dealer about it. Their computer says there's nothing wrong with it.
On the highway when doing 110km/h it mostly stays in 5th gear. Only changes to 6th gear going downhill. Seems like the motor is under powered. If I can get the high fuel usage problem solved I would rate it 5 stars.

Purchased in December 2017 at Toyota Dealers for $51,000.00.

Year2017

A little love lost

Loved it when I first got it. Good on highway, good on fuel (diesel). Regular services under warranty. Then the letter came about the first of three recalls and then it became a headache.

Purchased in November 2016 for $38,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2016

Lies lies lies

Fourth brand new hilux in a row. While farming I swore by them but since changing to 4x2’s in city life I’m ready to try competitors. The problem boiling my urine currently is the fuel gauge dilemma going on two years now. There has been one dealer fix and just had the toyota factory “fix”. My fuel tank is now meant to have 12 litres of fuel remaining when the fuel light comes on but I still have 20 litres before the needle rapidly goes to empty. Toyota’s lied to me again and I expect far more from this car GIANT!
I bought a motor vehicle with an 80 litre fuel tank. I got a motor vehicle with an 80litre fuel tank but with a fuel gauge that only works for 60 or so litres of it. Very dangerous to have an unreliable fuel gauge on long runs. And toyota has the audacity to say the original design was safety related so that people wouldn’t run out of fuel. No toyota you will be sued when someone dies in remote 40 degree heat running blind on the last 1/4 or so of the tank! We have the right to use our entire tank copacity and you have the obligation to see that we can, safely!

If I took my vehicle to any local garage and said work out a way to give me a functional fuel gauge, they would work out a way to give me a functional fuel gauge. But Toyota are mentally incapable of doing so.

I’ve just been told that toyota technical department have said they might be able fix it but the gauge may then be unreliable at the top end of the tank. Urm...creating a new problem is not fixing it guys.

I’m within one year left of warranty so have no option but to Either take legal action or park my vehicle outside the dealer with a kind message on it...I think I’ll do that one. I have a bit of time on my hands.

Purchased in January 2017.

Year2017

Unfixable Brake squeal - buyer beware

Toyota “genuine service” have failed to stop the break squeal after 4 attempts.

For the last 32,000kms my fully optioned diesel auto sr5 with “leatherette” interior has sounded like a squealing 50 year old “sh$tbox”.

RRP on this car with my Toyota genuine upgrades was $80k (I didn’t pay $80k)

Terrible experience.

Feel like I bought an 80’s hilux rust bucket that’s been running beach tours for 30 years

Caveat emptor!

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Wow, very bumpy!

With no load in the back, the drive is just terrible. My brain is being smashed against my skull in a most aggressive manner, over roads that I know are smooth. You can feel every tiny crack, bump or crevice in the road. I have asked if there is any suspension adjustments that can be done, but it seems not (any suggestions, apart from filling the tray with concrete?) Under load, it's great and it was a bargain (only $22,000 new 2018).

Engine Size2.7L Petrol
Date PurchasedSep 2018
DriveRWD

Love the hilux, but it’s not perfect.

Love the hilux but it’s not perfect, 2016 2.8 sr5 duelcab

Pros.
-Interior is one of the best looking interior in the segment it feels up to date and it looks great comfortable enough to be in.
-Exterior, also my favourite looking ute, to me looks aggressive and beefy.
-4x4 is great and easy takleing tough courses, friendly interface to get into four wheels.
-Drivability is good on the highway and city, doesn’t have electric steering but it’s light enough and sharp enough at higher speeds.
-Towing is easy (don’t have a caravan or a boat) but have tested pulling a trailer with a commodore on top and didn’t struggle.
-Reverse camera easy to reverse park.

Cons.
-Fuel consumption is insane! (Get 550-600km range) before fuel light comes on (before dpf recall)
-DPF! Huge issue, returned to Toyota dealership 3 times for DPF recall, last recall added a DPF burn and DPF regeneration system which chews up fuel while regenerating... (500-580km range now)
-Extra power would be nice. It’s enough to do the job but tends to be sluggish at some points, (hills, highway)
-Seats aren’t the best for long drives, it is comfortable first 30 minutes but numb bum after that. Touch screen sucks so replaced it with after market system.
-extra safety features would be nice especially for the price point it’s at but doesn’t bother me to much.

Overall I’m happy with the car, I love to drive it as my daily, will be considering tuning it for better fuel eco and power.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A/C Clutch fuse/Relay 2006 Workmate

The clutch has stopped engaging and I cannot locate the magnetic clutch relay or fuse. Please help and Thank you. I have checked all other fuses and they are fine. A/C light coming on in cab but clutch not engaging. I have probably looked at the right place 50 times now but still haven't got it.

Engine Size2.7L Petrol
Date PurchasedJun 2018

Purchase of New Car Mosman Toyota

I use the Car for work and off road.
I use the car every day and I travel a lot to regional areas for work and some places don't have the roads sealed.
The car gets services at the due warranty mileage or date.
I love the car, it drives and handles all conditions.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Dust by passes Air Filter

Not so unbreakable any more. Dust particles by pass the air filter and put the vehicle in limp mode. No fix yet from Toyota

Read this article to see why.

You would think this would be a recall or and upgrade of the Air Filter unit but not yet.

Shame Toyota Shame.

BadgeRugged X
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Wheres the Warranty ?

If these bloody Hilux's are so unbreakable why do they not have a good warranty like the Holdens & Fords ie 5 years unlimited Klms. From what i have seen of them it would send Toyota broke. As these things are continually broken down. Even brand new ones go into limp mode as soon as you do a bit of dusty driving ? You see heaps of second hand ones with less than 200,000 klms on them advertised with new or rebuilt engines. Clutches always stuffed before 100,000 Klms ? Unbreakable, what a joke.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great Ute

My hilux is a 2017 6 speed manual , that hasn’t missed a beat other than a hand break adjustment. Fuel economy with 30,000 km was around 10 ltr per 100, after driving from Melbourne to Darwin and all over Kakadu and back doing over 12,000 kms fuel economy improved to 8.5ltr per hundred. This is with accessories of side steps Tjm alloy bull bar with winch dual batteries,side rails rock sliders ,Tjm rear bar ,carryboy Ute slide safari snorkel , harrop front locker.,long rang tank, dobbisons mrr suspension. Get your dpf sorted with a basic ecu flash which was done to my car after its 1000k service , it should activate every 300km or so . This motor takes around 50,000km to fully run in and loosen up.for what it worth my mates 2009 manual hilux used around 50 dollars more to fill up every time and yes we have the same size tanks.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Good Vehicle

Cant really fault this hilux and its the best hilux I have owned (have owned 4 Hilux's previously).This is a 2017 SR5 manual with a Canopy and has done 35000km. Has more power and better fuel economy than any previous hilux. Is good on fuel, averaged 8.7L/100km since new which is good as I often tow a trailer and have towed up to 3.2T. The only issue that annoys me is the DPF burn off when it idles at higher revs.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

MMM..

I bought a cab chassis with alloy tray in late 2015 2.4 went very well however the dpf cost me three trips back to dealer before they replaced, had seat cushion replaced Im 105k?? I found seating cramped and fancy new dash with all its angles makes it feel worse. Fuel economy good 2.4 D not 2.8 D which appears to be vey thirsty. The standard tyres were awful wore out quickly and very scary in the wet even with but ride and power good and it felt like a Toyota, which I have bought every model since 1989 2wd or 4wd. I do wonder whether they are as well built or is it just a great marketing program we continue to fall for. The best certainly were the JAP produced models prior to 2004. I had a great run with those models some how I feel these are not the same. ( I sold this ute recently and bought a Triton 17K cheaper couldn't afford $48K for similar vehicle.)

Engine Size2.4
Date PurchasedOct 2015
DriveRWD

Rust problems

I bought this truck new it is the Extra cab in decuma grey, All good except for a rust problem were the front window screen meets the roof. This started at what looked like a stone chip, and local Toyota said the same . Not long after two more so called stone chips appeared on the same line but 50-70mm apart from the first one but on the same line as the first immediately above the screen . Again local Toyota and Toyota UK say they are all 3 stone chips . And they will not repair under warranty

I think the odds are remote to have 3 stones on 3 separate occasions to hit the same line not the screen . The truck was new in march 2017 and is coming up to 28000 miles. I dare not power wash the screen roof area in case any more paint rust comes off.
This is my 11th and could be me last Toyota . Shame

Badge(No Badge)
Engine Size2.4
CabExtra Cab
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Fuel Economy Issue

At first I believed the new Hilux was the best released, fully equipped with everything you would need, but after 1000km's I began to see some issues. A few small items (loose door seal, windscreen wiper motor fail) then after 10,000km's I began to notice a much larger problem. Fuel economy stats on all web pages say that you should get between 8L/100km and 9.5L/100km, however my fuel economy is at 14.5L per 100km. This is not localised to my vehicle, it's a known issue with Toyota but they don't make it public. I had my car serviced for the 10k and I asked the question "is there an issue with the fuel economy on the SR5's?" Yes, it's a real problem, we have complaints all the time. Their response is that they need to connect the car to a machine for the whole day to correct the issue. However it's not permanent. I decided to test it out as many people said that I do a lot of city driving which will be the cause, so I drove from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast and back, 220km and used over half of a tank. I got 450km from this tank. I drove from Brisbane to Tweed Heads and back a week later, I used 3 quarters of a tank, I received 440km from this tank. At one point on the highway I could see the fuel gauge moving down. I have never seen anything like this before. I have had every Hilux since 2004 and raved about them, this one I can't say I'm impressed. The lack of knowledge from Toyota themselves on the problem and considering you pay $60K for a vehicle you would think they would look at a permanent fix for this problem. I'll be doing my research next time, but I would say this is the last one for me.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Southside Toyota Brisbane is hopeless

I had my vehicle serviced on 23 Aug there. Before that day, there was smoking from the exthoust. Only 10 days later after the service, the smoke comes back again. Even the guy who called me from Toyota Australia surprised when he learned it smoked only 10 days after the service.
Don’t go to Southside Toyota, don’t buy Toyota.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Drive4WD
Spent over an hour read through, I just wondering is there a lawyer in this forum. So many problems for the new Hilux, something need to be done.

Where is the reliable proven bullet proof Hilux of yesteryear???

On the strength of the Hilux of old I bought a brand new one in Feb of this year 2018. I didn't even sit in the vehicle beforehand (Double Cab SR). In the interest of fuel efficiency and emissions it has the dreaded "Common Rail fuel system". It cannot tolerate the smallest spec of dirt, 6 micron (6 thou of a millimetre) will kill the system. Likewise the smallest droplet of water. Toyota fit a fuel filter to catch 30 micron and larger, but will not warrant against dirty fuel. The dealer tells me I can have fitted a second filter, but nothing finer than, you guessed it, 30 micron. There is a water detector in their filter, good that gives me a warning. Sorry NO, any extra filter must be before theirs!!! Why??? I had the filter fitted by ARB, fitted in half the time quoted by the Toyota dealer, and cost. The vehicle is controlled by the computer. This vehicle was bought to take me hunting in rough country. When I asked about fitting UHF radio it was suggested I use an auto electrician as Toyota might squeal warranty infringement. At this point it`s under a three year warranty but after that I`m on my own. How much faith can I have in this contraption as moisture and dust infiltrate the electronics as it inevitably does. Can I trust it in the recesses of Barrington Tops and Victoria`s High Country, I don`t think so.

BadgeSR
Engine Size2.8L Diesel
BodyTow bar; Canopy; Bull bar; Racks on Canopy and Cab. Very very expensive.
Date PurchasedFeb 2018