Travelex

Travelex

See the Best Travel Money in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Terrible Exchange rate - rip off!

Travelex is a total rip off. Their exchange rate for Fijian dollars was 1.19 when you can get 1.42 at the bank. They also charge a $87 commission charge for ripping you off. Just don't bother with them! Thumbs down for Travelex.

Competitive Exchange Rate No

Cheating.

Wanted to exchange foreign currency into $AU. The rate advertised was 1.58. The lady on the counter gave me much less to a much smaller rate. When I confronted her she refused to name the rate she exchanged the currency. There is no small orint or disclaimer that they pay much less than the advertised rate. She tried to cheat on me. This is highly illegal. This is for Casuarina branch in Darwin. Issue reported.

CurrencyEUR
Competitive Exchange Rate No

Great products, rates and service

Recently went on a trip to Italy for four weeks and decided to try an alternative to bank travel cards due to the exchange rates being so low. Tried Travelex, ended up with nearly 100 Euro more than my bank quoted, staff provided great service and even gave me advise on how to avoid fees using the left over funds on the card when I got home. Would happily use them again.

CurrencyEUR
Competitive Exchange Rate Yes

Travelex online

Best rates are online but you have to use BPay - fee free or Credit card - may charge. Only problem is you cannot specify the denominations they just provide a mix.

Foreign Cash delivered to my home on wrong day

I ordered my Foreign currency, for my holiday, and chose to have it delivered to my home. It was free delivery on orders over $1,000 value, or $10 for under $1,000.

The order systems allows you to select a specific day for delivery, and say it would be between 9 and 5 on that day.
I selected the day I wanted, as I knew I would be home that day. I chose Friday 6th April.

On Wednesday the 4th April it was delivered. Two days early. Better than being late I suppose, but it was not on the specified day that we were told it would arrive.
The order system actually specifies for us to be home on THAT particular day. It was lucky I was actually in for this delivery.

I didn't need to prove my ID, it could have been given to anyone in my house. As it is only my wife and I, it wasn't a problem. When ordering I had to submit a copy of my ID, so they could confirm on delivery.

Other than that, the money was right, and the rate was agreed before I paid, so no complaints on the rate.

All in all, a better system than getting the money at the bank, and a better FX rate too.

But they should deliver on the day. I am not sure what they would do if I wasn't in. Would they have returned on the correct day, the Friday, or left it at the post office, and made me travel to collect it, instead of getting the Home Delivery service I chose.