Travelex Cash Passport

See the Best Travel Money in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

You would be better off using your usual bank card

All this company does is add fees onto each transaction. They prompt you to join however, do not give you an opportunity to read the PDS. So you do not know what you are signing up for. FEES FEES FEES. Shame on you Heritage Bank.

CurrencyAUD and NZD
Competitive Exchange Rate No

Defaulted to AUD to double dip on fees + bad exchange rate to withdraw

I used the Travelex card while in Greece which uses euros and I had only euros loaded onto the card. I noticed that some merchant machines would ask whether I would like to pay in AUD or EUR. I didn't have AUD on the card and I was in Europe so I don't know why that was even an option. To make things worse, the default was set to AUD.... ?????!!!!! Unfortunately at one retailer I was charged in AUD, they pressed enter for me without asking me or even looking at it themselves. I lost money because of a terrible exchange rate, and was also charged a currency conversion fee on top of that. So a 56euro transaction ended up costing me approximately an extra $10-15 for no reason other than reconverting my money and fees.
Coming back, the only way to get your money out of the card is through Travelex which has a really bad exchange rate, and charges a $10 fee to withdraw the money. I wasn't aware of this and should've withdrawn all my money overseas and converted it elsewhere. Not happy.

CurrencyEUR
Competitive Exchange Rate Yes

Useless product.

Had a credit of AUD3059 when I left home, converted approx half to Euro. Every merchant in Europe where I tried to use the card and every Euro ATM rejected the card. Travelex admitted the card was NOT faulty as I was able to complete a single transaction of AUD293 in Singapore. So, $3059 - $293 =$2766. Cash out value? AUD2384. Loss = AUD382. Nearly 14% fees on a pre loaded card!! Pure greed. These guys are fortunate not to have faced the Australian Banking Royal Commission, because this is worse than any credit card fees I have ever paid. When you see 84% of scores are 1 star, you be the judge of this product and company. Customer service took 45 mins to resolve nothing.

CurrencyEUR

Usury At The Worst

Putting money on the card is easy. Getting money off the card, or switching to a different currency, is an enormous loss. I put US$1500 dollars on the card, and then needed to convert the currency. I lost $241.05 in the transaction. Travelex Customer Service just shrugged. 18% for clicking two buttons. Note that if this was done in person at a Travelex kiosk, there is no fee for over US$1,000 in currency exchange. This is a terrible product, designed for Travelex to rob you rather than a convenient way to pay when traveling.

CurrencyCAD and USD
Competitive Exchange Rate No

Total ripoff!!! Avoid< avoid<avoid!!!

We put in $400 Australian dollars, and spent less that $10 on the card. We were told today that we will be getting $289 back. I am beyond angry. Noone told me that I would lose 25% of my money by using this card. They tell you it is the safest option for travelling. Don't fear losing your money while travelling. The real robbers that you need to worry about ... are Travelex!!! Never again!!! Credit cards only, from now on!

Rip off

Be aware of the terrible exchange rate to transfer your money off the card. I opened an account and four hours later transferred the money off, because I decided to go with a Commbank travel card instead, and lost just over AUD$900. At no point was this highlighted to me and I was unable to find any information regarding exchange rates, for this action, in their policy. Customer service was unhelpful. I will never recommend this travel card to anyone.

Competitive Exchange Rate No

Don't use this if you want an easy holiday

Travelled to Japan through Malaysia; rarely was this card accepted. Tried PIN, different accounts (credit/debit etc), signing etc etc; it just wouldn't process and the business ended up saying they didn't accept.
Struggled to get cash out. Got a larger amount out twice in 10 days (AUD200); every other time we tried it wouldn't work or gave us just AUD10 per day.
Made our holiday stressful and difficult.

CurrencyJPY

Steal your money

Never again will I use these cards, money left over after the holiday, download it into my bank account which states it will be $354.00, receive the money and it’s $315, call up and told the $354 is just a figure, so basically they can just take what they want of your money

Never use Travelex

I went to The Majestic Hotel Anaheim in L.A where when checking in the guest presents their credit card to place $100 on hold for any accidentials in case they need to cover for any damage as per many other hotels do this, if no charges are taken out the hotel releases the funds at checkout, Travelex however does not release the funds until 30 days after, luckly on this ocacion it was a small deposit and I did not use the Travelex for other hotels where the deposits where over $500 this can place lot of restrains & stress on your overseas holidays specially when travelling across the U.S.A, i am still waiting for my money & a responce from Travelex after providing a letter from the Accounts Manager from the Majestic Hotel indicating to release funds as they do not intend to withhold any funds.

I am disgusted about this and will never use Travelex again and stick to using my bank travelcard options as I was fortunate to take this card aswell, another thing about Travelex Global if you want to transfer money from your normal day to day account is another nightmare good luck with that getting your money instantly does not happen, like i said stay away from this Mob.

Avoid this company do not use!!!

I checked the Exchange rates online - and proceeded to exchange my money
After receiving my money, it didn’t seem right - I looked at the receipt and the exchange rate wasn’t the same - when I questioned this they said the online rate is a “guide” and they can set their exchange at whatever they want
I exchanged $500 and got ripped off $89 aus compared to ANY other company for exchanging money
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY !!!

Would never recommend this card

Card was purchased as an emergency back up for my usual travel credit card for our daughter's school trip to Hong King, UK and France
Card worked fine in Hong Kong - until it was lost.
Card was promptly cancelled by company (good customer service)
Site says that emergency replacement card is available - what they do not say is if you have 2 cards on your account and one gets lost/stolen, you are UNABLE to replace the lost/stolen card.
If second card doesn't work - tough luck

Problems started when she started using the card in the UK
This card has hidden fees for every transaction
There is no information on how to withdraw loaded currency from the card in international ATMs - being charged conversion fees for every withdrawal in UK, despite following travelex advice to NOT choose 'your local currency' option. Constantly does an $AUD to euro to pounds conversion, regardless of what withdrawal option is chosen and regardless of having GBP loaded on card. This incurs a 6% transaction conversion fee every single time she withdraws money. Card services absolutely no help. Local travelex agent no help.
Crap exchange rates
Fees charged every top up or withdrawal from account
Exchange rate for left over funds is EVEN WORSE then the load rate
Has probably cost daughter over $300 in fees/poor exchange practices - which is a lot of money for a 'fee free' card

This is not a service I would recommend again

The product is comparatively expensive, difficult to move money off in cash especially when you have a last bit of money on the card and want to use it before you close it. I have been forced to use this product due to South African restrictions on using money to travel, but it has always been a stressful, bureaucratic and expensive experience. Save yourself the stomach ulcers and find another product. Unhelpful and uninformed service staff also.

Worst Card Ever!

Absolute worst card ever. This card attracted additional fees overseas, the exchange rate was poor, atm’s didn’t recognize the card, I lost $500 in excess charges and atm mistakes and customer service was useless. Was left stranded on the last 2 days of my holiday unable to access my last $500 which I had set aside for cab fares and airport fees. Customer service could not have cared less. I never got the money back. $500 down because I chose this card.

Easily hacked, no customer service

I purchased this card due to the free WIFI attached. After 2 months of travelling, this app still has not picked up Boingo WIFI.
Fraud suspected on card, so it has been blocked.
Actual fraud was tried, so whilst the security worked, I was surprised how easily it was used.
I was not notified, so went to use my card, it was declined.
Emailed the 2 sites on travelex, one did not answer, the other said they dont deal with it,have to contact Mastercard instead.
4 emails later, was told I would receive a phone call, 36 hours following, still no phone call.
I have since phoned them, to keep e advised new card to be posted out...but I am travelling, so they cant g'tee when it will be sent.
Short version, no access to funds.
No duty of care.
No replies to emails.
No empathy shown at situation.

Experienced traveller, do I have back up plans.
This card is NO good for travelling, so dont bother.

Absolutely useless

Charged currency conversion fees when having sufficiency funds off desired currency, no help at all and hidden fees that no other travel cards have. Would give 0 stars if I could.

Not worth having

Could not get money from an ATM when we were overseas because the card had expired even though we still had Euros on it.
Travelex agencies in Europe would not assist telling us that we had to go to the store we originally purchased the card from. We have just spent nearly 2 hours with the Travelex agent in Frankston today trying to close our account and getting our money out. The agent (who was helpful and patient) was making numerous calls to Melbourne and overseas because our money had just disappeared. (We finally got the money) While the agents customer service can't be faulted the whole Travelex Cash Passport system is utter rubbish. Never again!

AWFUL

Useless card, hidden fees, had trouble reloading, had trouble getting an actual balance, emailed for help no response, phoned and even less help, App was useless, could maybe open in 1 in 20 times I tried, and then I get slugged more fees after my trip to withdraw the balance, that was "unavailable" while I was overseas. Never ever again, waste of time effort and money, could have just taken my Anz Visa overseas, and it would have cost me less in fees, with much less hassle.

Might as well pour money down the drain

I received this card as a gift, and had trouble activating the card. Call centre was extremely unhelpful and ended up hanging up and figuring it out by myself. Additionally, I have been loading money on but apparantley the lowest you can load on is $100 so I have literally LOST all of the money I have loaded on because it has been less than 100$.

Poor

Was advised by the school to obtain on for sons trip. Poor exchange rates. App wont work for a 14 year old and the phone help was clueless. I suggest look elsewhere.

Stay away from this card - it is full of hidden fee's

We made the mistake of taking this card with us on a trip to Spain. We were told there were no fee's to access our money from ATM's or elsewhere. It sounded great. It wasn't. The first time we withdrew money out of an ATM we were slugged a huge 100 Euro 'currency conversion fee'. When we checked the account we realised that every time we used the card we were were charged this 'conversion fee'. We emailed Travelex asking for help and an explanation, it took 4 days for a response and the response was an automated email response saying they couldn't help. Stay away from this card unless you want added stress to your holiday and your hard earned money disappearing in fees.

Hi can I change my pass number ,as we have forgot it . Regards Leonard Davis
No I do not believe it is possible to change your PIN. You will need to contact Travelex to resolve your issue

What happens if you still have Euro dollars on your card on return to Australia can you get your money back?
You can withdraw any amounts back off your card into your bank account but you get a really crappy exchange rate. Better off withdrawing as much as you can before returning and changing it at a local currency placeThankyou appreciatedAs far as I understand, you can get your money back but only after very poor conversion rates to the local currency are applied. Also, if you do not use your card but you have money on it, they take out some fee for non-use and if you are not aware of this, you go to check your balance and it is much less than it used to be because of these fees being applied. It is definitely all one way (and not for the customer!).

I have just loaded money onto the card and am trying to get it back without using the card as I have just seen the reviews. Does anyone who has been through the system have any hints to avoid fees?
If you have loaded foreign currency they will charge you to convert it back and we paid over $85 above the exchange rate conversion on just over $1000.00 SGD. It might work out cheaper to use the card, but we couldn't use our card so can't guarantee that.Travelex or Master card could have refunded back the sale, because the card did not work, customer can not use it when they needed to use it. this way the customer could have not loose money to exchange it back.

CategoryTravel Money