Volkswagen Amarok

• Comfort
Jarryd

JarrydMelbourne

Beast

Picked up my Amarok Canyon, amazing limited edition model. Constant 4 wheel drive makes you feel like your sitting on a hovering couch. Very smooth and solid Ute. It was expensive but worth it in the end, VW has not let down. Technology wise it’s due for an upgrade, interior on the other hand is probably the best in all dual cabs available to purchase.

Purchased in January 2020 at Volkswagen Dealers.

Year2020
Cheesed off21

Cheesed off21South East Queensland, QLD

Very roomy

Purchased in June 2015 for A$38,000.00.

Udo F.

Udo F.Mid North Coast, NSW

Starter motor failure on 2017 V6 Amarok Ultimate

Purchased in March 2017 for A$73.00.

Amanda

Amanda

Faulty dpf filter & stress lone cracks on headlights and fog lights

Purchased in June 2018 at Volkswagen Dealers for A$60,000.00.

2014 mechatronics warning

My car has recently been towed to Volkswagen aftwr it got stuck in 6th gear while driving with no warning. I have been told the issue is the mechatronics. It is a 2014 model. I know there was a recall in 2013. Volkswagen service centres suggestion was pay for a new transmission as well because they coudnt tell if that needed replacing so instead of a potential $20,000 bill just replace the transmission?!. Otherwise pay $6600 for the mechatronics and possibly then pay for a transmission totally $20,000 which the car isn't worth!!!! It's not an old car and having had these issues in the model before mine. Not happy as I now have a car that doesn't drive.

Keith

KeithSydney, NSW

Love my V6 VW Amarok BUT!!

Love my Amarok, but just recently the engine malfunction light came on and the Ute went into limp mode. I called my local VW dealer and they advised not to drive it until it was inspected, unfortunately they couldn’t get it into the workshop for 3 weeks. So I called VW Liverpool NSW and they got booked in within 2 days. Then my Emissions control light also came on. And I could hear a knock. On inspection they couldn’t do a normal reset on the emissions and had to call Germany. They couldn’t reset and advised to replace. The knock was my oil pump which also needed replacing. It will take over 4 weeks to get the parts and fix. The Ute is the V6 and is one year old.

Purchased in February 2019.

Peter

PeterGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

VW selling faulty unsafe cars

I have purchased the VW Amarok Ultimate V6. I have been driving for almost 2 years and without warning the engine loses power goes into limp mode and needs to be towed. After almost 2 years VW does not have a fix and refuses to do anything about it. I have been in near accident because of the power loss as a truck almost ran into me. I have since found out that VW knew about the faults with these vehicles and continues to sell them. Quite disappointing considering that someone was killed on the Monash freeway because their car lost power.

Purchased in September 2017.

Dawn

DawnPerth, WA

The best car for around town and out in the bush

I love my Amarok.This is my second one in 7 years.The first one I bought in 2012.It is so economical and smooth to drive.Have been on several out back journeys over many dirt roads and never had a problem.I have now bought the new V6 model and I think it is even smoother and still as economical.
I don't think I would ever drive another car after having these.

Purchased in April 2019.

John

JohnSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best Ute I've Owned

I've owned a Hilux, BT50 & Colorado and the Amarok is hands down the best ute I've owned. It's currently only done 45,000 km's but never missed a beat and haven't had any issues. I've had it serviced at Volkswagen and very happy with the customer service and the fixed priced servicing.

Purchased in March 2016.

Year2016

Andrew Murdoch

Andrew MurdochSouth West, WA

Any one had front seat trouble????

Purchased in November 2017 for A$48,000.00.

Josh

JoshSouth East Queensland, QLD

Well appointed, great to drive.

Purchased in June 2018 at Volkswagen Commercial Centre for A$69,834.00.

Don S.

Don S.South East Queensland, QLD

On my second Amarok

Purchased in January 2019 at Keystar Volkswagen for A$65,000.00.

Year2019
Danley

DanleySouth East Queensland, QLD

Avoid Petrol Amaroks like if it was the Flu

Purchased in August 2017.

TransmissionManual
BoughtUsed
Year2012
Phil777

Phil777

2018 2L TDI gutless and jittery

Bought a demo Amarok and have had it for about a month. Interior and appointments are great, but the engine is really quite gutless and fusses about through the gears. Economy is good though larger diesels are getting about the same.. (Thinking of the Navara diesel)
The ride is my biggest beef. It feels like my old 1999 Jeep (that's not a compliment). It's very very hard and you will feel every tiny bump in the road. My son who has a Pajero was lost for words and didn't want to bag dad's new ride too much, but I could tell he was shocked.
Do your home work and test drive a few different dual cabs first.

Purchased in February 2019 at Wangara VW.

Year2019
Graeme

GraemeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great vehicle but with some frustrating features

I use my Amarok every day for general use and pick ups and deliveries, it also tows a 2850 kg caravan quite regularly, runs very well but I think the dealers servicing is vastly over priced.
When I replaced the timing belt the dealer said I should also replace the water pump (at around 105000 km)
I have driven millions of km and never had to replace a pump other than some seals on a 1952 model car in the 1970's so I thought this was over the top.
Brakes are good and the handling is excellent
I have driven this ute 162000 km since purchase and until recently had VW dealer servicing but their servicing prices have sent me to a local workshop at about 1/3rd of the dealers charges.

Purchased in May 2015 for A$55,000.00.

The perfect work vehicle

BodyCab Chassis
LineHighline
Date PurchasedMay 2016

Awesome Drive. Excellent fuel economy.

BadgeVolkswagen

Long Miles

Techicnal Smart Practical poor

Had the Amarock V6 for 14 months, brought new travelled 70 000klm

The Good points
Carries 1 ton easily and tows 3.5 ton easily in all conditions. The Amarock is very good towing better than our 100 series with better power and fuel economy both empty and loaded.

The Down side
Twice the pipe going onto the inlet manifold has come off the second time on a trip to the tip of Cape York, engine went into limp mode, vehicle was drien from Jardine ferry to Coen without airfilter. Now we have oil leaking out the inlet pipe near the turbo VW says there is within the vehicle's operating conditions. Panels are made out of harden cheese. The vehicle is made very cheaply I don't recommended them

Purchased for A$53,000.00.

Scott and Eliza M

Scott and Eliza MMittagong

great truck

Has exceeded our expectations. Purchased new in Dec 2017 and now with almost 30k on the clock. Paid a great price even though we thought it would be much more expensive beibg a VW. Handles way better than expected and hauls without fuss. Can not do without our first dual cab ute and already planning our next.

LineCore Edition

LineTrendline
Date PurchasedJun 2018

andy s.asked

Amarok

I have bought a new highline black edition VW amarok (my20) 3 weeks ago and decided to upgrade the car with new wheels/rims/lift kit from autocraze in Sydney. As soon as the job was finished, the car developed a quite loud knocking sound coming from the front left wheel area. The noise only occurs under acceleration (not coasting or braking) and gets faster with rpm. The guys at autocraze have now spent 2 days pulling everything they touched off, reinstalling the car as factory and have been unable to identify the problem and can’t see any signs of damage. The car looks a million $ and is brand new but now sounds like a 20yo paddock basher. It is booked in to have VW see if they can identify the cause but wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

grant
grant

you've probably done a CV as the lift kit changes the angle of the front driveshafts, and will need a new CV joint. If you put the lift back on make sure you do a diff-drop at the same time (quite inexpensive.)

andy s.

Thanks Grant, much appreciated! I ended up having to go back to VW to get the issue diagnosed for autocraze who came back with that diagnosis exactly. Pretty disappointing that a 4wd specialist wasn't able to pick that up themselves... Now my only concern is if there has been damage to the CV joint that I may not see for a while, but will likely present itself at the worst possible time (ie in the middle of nowhere!) No visible damage to the CV joint boot but I would be amazed if the sound it made hasn't affected something somewhere!

Roelof B.

Roelof B.asked

Amarok

2.0 biturbo 4motion auto .. sometimes when I accelerate quick from first gear it cuts completely and then continues. Any ideas?

Brendan W.

Brendan W.asked

Amarok

Has anyone got problems with headlight and parker globes blowing?
I've done 53,000 kms and have replaced 5 globes. 2019 V6 amarok.

Other Utes