Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

See the Best Utes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Keith

KeithSydney, NSW

Love my V6 VW Amarok BUT!!

Love my Amarok, but just recently the engine malfunction light came on and the Ute went into limp mode. I called my local VW dealer and they advised not to drive it until it was inspected, unfortunately they couldn’t get it into the workshop for 3 weeks. So I called VW Liverpool NSW and they got booked in within 2 days. Then my Emissions control light also came on. And I could hear a knock. On inspection they couldn’t do a normal reset on the emissions and had to call Germany. They couldn’t reset and advised to replace. The knock was my oil pump which also needed replacing. It will take over 4 weeks to get the parts and fix. The Ute is the V6 and is one year old.

Purchased in February 2019.

Peter

PeterGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

VW selling faulty unsafe cars

I have purchased the VW Amarok Ultimate V6. I have been driving for almost 2 years and without warning the engine loses power goes into limp mode and needs to be towed. After almost 2 years VW does not have a fix and refuses to do anything about it. I have been in near accident because of the power loss as a truck almost ran into me. I have since found out that VW knew about the faults with these vehicles and continues to sell them. Quite disappointing considering that someone was killed on the Monash freeway because their car lost power.

Purchased in September 2017.

Year2017

DawnPerth, WA

The best car for around town and out in the bush

I love my Amarok.This is my second one in 7 years.The first one I bought in 2012.It is so economical and smooth to drive.Have been on several out back journeys over many dirt roads and never had a problem.I have now bought the new V6 model and I think it is even smoother and still as economical.
I don't think I would ever drive another car after having these.

Purchased in April 2019.

John

JohnSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best Ute I've Owned

I've owned a Hilux, BT50 & Colorado and the Amarok is hands down the best ute I've owned. It's currently only done 45,000 km's but never missed a beat and haven't had any issues. I've had it serviced at Volkswagen and very happy with the customer service and the fixed priced servicing.

Purchased in March 2016.

Year2016

Andrew Murdoch

Andrew MurdochSouth West, WA

Any one had front seat trouble????

Purchased in November 2017 for $48,000.00.

Year2017

Josh

JoshSouth East Queensland, QLD

Well appointed, great to drive.

Purchased in June 2018 at Volkswagen Commercial Centre for $69,834.00.

Don S.

Don S.South East Queensland, QLD

On my second Amarok

Purchased in January 2019 at Keystar Volkswagen for $65,000.00.

Year2019

Danley

DanleySouth East Queensland, QLD

Avoid Petrol Amaroks like if it was the Flu

Purchased in August 2017.

BoughtUsed
Year2012
Phil777

Phil777

2018 2L TDI gutless and jittery

Bought a demo Amarok and have had it for about a month. Interior and appointments are great, but the engine is really quite gutless and fusses about through the gears. Economy is good though larger diesels are getting about the same.. (Thinking of the Navara diesel)
The ride is my biggest beef. It feels like my old 1999 Jeep (that's not a compliment). It's very very hard and you will feel every tiny bump in the road. My son who has a Pajero was lost for words and didn't want to bag dad's new ride too much, but I could tell he was shocked.
Do your home work and test drive a few different dual cabs first.

Purchased in February 2019 at Wangara VW.

Year2019
Graeme

GraemeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great vehicle but with some frustrating features

I use my Amarok every day for general use and pick ups and deliveries, it also tows a 2850 kg caravan quite regularly, runs very well but I think the dealers servicing is vastly over priced.
When I replaced the timing belt the dealer said I should also replace the water pump (at around 105000 km)
I have driven millions of km and never had to replace a pump other than some seals on a 1952 model car in the 1970's so I thought this was over the top.
Brakes are good and the handling is excellent
I have driven this ute 162000 km since purchase and until recently had VW dealer servicing but their servicing prices have sent me to a local workshop at about 1/3rd of the dealers charges.

Purchased in May 2015 for $55,000.00.

Year2014

The perfect work vehicle

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Awesome Drive. Excellent fuel economy.

BadgeVolkswagen
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Long Miles

Long Miles

Techicnal Smart Practical poor

Scott and Eliza M

Scott and Eliza MMittagong

great truck

Has exceeded our expectations. Purchased new in Dec 2017 and now with almost 30k on the clock. Paid a great price even though we thought it would be much more expensive beibg a VW. Handles way better than expected and hauls without fuss. Can not do without our first dual cab ute and already planning our next.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Dickie headerson

Dickie headersonAU

My second one and happy

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Tim

Tim

Reliable fast for a dc and economical

What can I say, have went to Uluru and back towing a big van and was surprised how good on fuel it was. Goes great offroad. Only problem I've had is a rear main leak but the dealer fixed it straight away. Serviced every 15k and drive to work in it every day.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Wayne

WayneCanberra

Largest cab on market

Family car lots of room auto nice and smooth to drive cheapest on market with fuel most comfortable to sit in for long drives 4 cyclinder real gives great power with the twin turbos And upgrade on radio with one of the best blue tooth phones in cars today

Date PurchasedAug 2018

WILL

WILLADELAIDE

Good to drive longevity question

300,000 kms second motor, the first motor was fixed by vw but the second I'm waiting on a response but doesn't look promising...Its had the aftermarket cover over the timing belt however the sepentine belt (only 10,000kms old) still managed to get in behind the timing cover and destroy the head..

Drive400
BadgeTDI400
Date PurchasedOct 2012

David S

David SBrisbane

Love it! But not again

Fantastic vehicle to drive. More comfortable to drive than the other main competitors in that market that i drove. Pretty good on fuel. Out competed a hilux and patrol when i went off roading in northern nsw. however, capped price servicing is super expensive and im apprehensive when the warranty runs out as a few items have needed to be replaced and the cost was quite high, If i had my time again i would have gone a vehicle with cheaper servicing and parts (hilux). But i still think the amaroks the best to drive.

BadgeTDI400
Date PurchasedDec 2015

Clutch blown up 65 000 ks

Never towed any thing heavy only box trailer to the tip dual clutch bad noises very expensive to replace 65
Ooo ks just a joke vw service very bad sub standard should be warranty job absolutely annoyed, if you look on the net some vehicles don't even make it to 15'ooo ks before this happens

CabSingle
DriveRWD
BadgeTDI340
Date PurchasedJun 2013

Michelle K

Michelle Kasked

2018 Volkswagen Amarok TDI420 Core Plus - Purchased vehicle at 310km's April'19 it has now done 3000km's June'19 and fault light keeps coming on and gets stuck in 3rd gear and goes into limp mode. VW Service team found wire wasn't connected in the fuse box, body earth was not properly connected and body control module was replaced - this was a brand new car. After everything replaced and fixed, Volkswagen says can't find fault but the issues are still happening but now are not showing up in the history when back at Volkswagen, while VW have dismissed my issues stating nothing wrong. Has anyone else had the same issues as so disappointed with the Amarok and feel very unsafe considering the car goes into limp mode.

Frankly Speaking

Frankly Speakingasked

Can anyone make some recommendations on size and weights of caravan suitable for towing with 2 liter Amarok dual cab auto 2015. Looking at over all performance.
Thank you.

Dawn

It depends which model but with the factory towbar is 2.8 to 3 tonne.the towbar down weight is 250 kilos,depending on which towbar is fitted.
We have been towing a 2.2 tonne Kimberly Karavan for thousand of kilometres while outback and have had no problems.Averaging 15 litres per 100 kilometres.

Frankly Speaking

Frankly Speakingasked

Hi.
Love my 2 lt Highline. Just over 12 months driving it. Have not towed anything yet. Looking at a caravan for some trips. Anyone using this size auto vehicle for towing long distances? Looking at van around the 2000 kg weight. I would appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

CategoryUtes
Starting Price $39,990
TransmissionAutomatic
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypeDiesel
Max Power132kW @ 4000rpm
Max Torque420Nm @ 1750rpm
Country of ManufactureArgentina
Safety Features
  • ABS (Antilock Braking System)
  • Active Cruise Control
  • AEB (Auto Emergency Braking)
  • ISO-fix Compatible