Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

Volkswagen Amarok 2H (2011-Present)

Any one had front seat trouble????

Highway driving 99% of the time and is my work managment vehicle
Drivers seat material and padding is breaking down. The way I get in and out is the same as the service manager at the dealer ship. I am 1790 mm tall and weigh 102 KGs
Done about 55000 when the seat material started to show problems. Now the seat base foam is showing with material gap of about 50 mm. VW stated on first visit re this problem that it was outside influences or some such rubbish.
Had it looked at by the dealership again last week, so time will tell wether they come to the party or not
Done 65500 now and the seat is NOT satisfactory. Vehicle cost $46/$47000.
Don't intend to sell the vehicle but this cosmetic problem would knock big dollars off.
Basically rest of vehicle is fine and I enjoy driving it

Purchased in November 2017 for $48,000.00.

Year2,017
Comfort

Well appointed, great to drive.

2018 V6 TDi 550 Highline

Purchased new from Gold Coast Volkswagen Commercial Centre

Had the following added by the dealer (included in my price below)
VW Towbar
VW Soft Tonneau
VW Custom Nappa Leather with custom embroidery
VW Rubber floor mats
ARB Colour coded Sahara bar
ARB fitted safari snorkel
ARB fitted Warn Zeon 10k Winch
ARB Bushranger light bar

Fitted after pickup by others (excluded in my price below)
Bilstein/HSR suspension lift and upgrade - $1500
Prevent Oil catch can - $300
Stedi LED - $150
Dometic 75L dual zone fridge on slide - $1500

I’ve done a couple of trips to Fraser Island in this and have loved it, aside from this, it is my daily commute and I cannot fault it’s on and off road handing and performance. (Off road is capable, but it is no jacked up land cruiser or patrol with massive clearances etc)

On road it handles like a car. The AWD system keeps it stuck to the bitumen in wet or dry conditions and the automatic 8 speed gearbox gives it plenty of up and go behind the 165kw engine.

Off the beaten track it is a surefooted vehicle. It is capable to handle anything you can throw at it without its clearances being an issue. It is however limited with the 8sp auto that doesn’t have a low range (the manual version of the V6 is just about to hit our shores if not already here)

The Satnav system with apple CarPlay is amazing. Everything seems to work perfectly and it is an ease to drive either using CarPlay or Bluetooth for access to your phone.

The 18 inch rims on the Highline limit Tyre choices if you are wanting to go larger.

The suspension is limited to a 40mm lift in the front with the IFS. The CV’s are rather short and I believe CV angle here is the biggest contributing factor. There are some diff drop kits available which I think have now been adapted to include the V6 model which I think can help get you up to about 50 mm of lift.

The CANBUS system is daunting. If you like to add your own electrical installations, be prepared to do a lot of research as just cutting into wires isn’t the same as it was on older vehicles to power things. This being said, there is a lot of information on forums and Facebook groups out there if you need it.

It is a great vehicle and should be included in any test drive regime for anyone seeking a new dual cab Ute. I am just about to hit 15,000km in mine and head in for its first service.

Purchased in June 2018 at Volkswagen Commercial Centre for $69,834.00.

Year2,018

On my second Amarok

Had a four cylinder manual Amarok for a few years. Was and still is a great vehicle. Towed a 2.5t boat on trailer no problems. Auto may be a different story reading some reviews here / power wise / feel etc. Upgraded to a 580 v6. Test drove some other makes such as new Triton for the better tech and much better price, however the build quality and road manners in the others were not the same. Triton felt nervous on the road with bad body roll which concerned me towing a heavy load. The leather was already ripped and felt thin, minimal room in the back and my head hit the roof in the rear. It also felt under powered (even though it has more power then my four cylinder Amarok. The Hilux felt very rough. Agree with some other reviews the suspension on my four cylinder was quite hard. The newer v6 is feels softer and it had the hardest suspension compared to Ranger's and Navara's I often ride in. A great towing and highway vehicle. Yes overpriced compared to others, and it should have some more tech like the ranger or like other cars in the VW range. However after driving the Ranger, Triton and Hilux, my old Amarok had a better stance on the road and was more comfortable (for me) and much better build quality, hence why I bought another. If you tow and or do highway work and like a bigger cabin, I highly recommend the Amarok. If you have rear passengers and are more safety conscious , other makes do have rear airbags which is often a concern that the Amarok is lacking. VW servicing is always quite expensive so I use a normal mechanic around the corner. The Navara and Tritons all round viewing for parking would be more handy if you do more city driving and your ute is your normally shopping vehicle.

Purchased in January 2019 at Keystar Volkswagen for $65,000.00.

Year2,019

Avoid Petrol Amaroks like if it was the Flu

I got my 2012 Amarok TSI300 from a dealership, it only had 34,000 ks on the clock and was used for a foreman truck

I would use my truck to go to and from work with maybe a trip to Gold Coast for a weekend. This was only used for road driving, never taken off road,

I would make sure the warranty was in check by servicing it on time and checking oil and tyre pressure every Monday.

It was a great truck how ever 6 months ago I had my first issue, I was driving back from work when I noticed that there was no power coming from the engine, I pulled over and check my oil and nothing had seemed to be out of place, I had a mobile mechanic check and he said that there was no pressure coming from cylinder 1.

I had the truck towed to the dealership where they stayed that the warranty had just expired (of course it did) so I was left to pay $4600 out of my own pocket to get it fixed, after that she was good and driving like day 1,

Than less than 4 months later cylinder 2 and 3 lost all compression as well as the fuel ejectors while I was driving back from GC so that’s $6500 for that service,

Purchased in August 2017.

BoughtUsed
Year2,012

2018 2L TDI gutless and jittery

Bought a demo Amarok and have had it for about a month. Interior and appointments are great, but the engine is really quite gutless and fusses about through the gears. Economy is good though larger diesels are getting about the same.. (Thinking of the Navara diesel)
The ride is my biggest beef. It feels like my old 1999 Jeep (that's not a compliment). It's very very hard and you will feel every tiny bump in the road. My son who has a Pajero was lost for words and didn't want to bag dad's new ride too much, but I could tell he was shocked.
Do your home work and test drive a few different dual cabs first.

Purchased in February 2019 at Wangara VW.

Year2,019
Comfort

Great vehicle but with some frustrating features

I use my Amarok every day for general use and pick ups and deliveries, it also tows a 2850 kg caravan quite regularly, runs very well but I think the dealers servicing is vastly over priced.
When I replaced the timing belt the dealer said I should also replace the water pump (at around 105000 km)
I have driven millions of km and never had to replace a pump other than some seals on a 1952 model car in the 1970's so I thought this was over the top.
Brakes are good and the handling is excellent
I have driven this ute 162000 km since purchase and until recently had VW dealer servicing but their servicing prices have sent me to a local workshop at about 1/3rd of the dealers charges.

Purchased in May 2015 for $55,000.00.

Year2,014

The perfect work vehicle

It is criminal that the Amarok is rated only mid 3s currently. Amarok is in my view the perfect work vehicle in Australia. As a 1 tonne ute it avoids FBT. It is car like to drive. It is quiet but powerful when needed. Passing is easy. It is also minimally bumpy to drive. I have the full time four-wheel drive 2 l Highline and routinely get 9 litres for 100 km or slightly less. That's amazing for what it is. The auto is almost always in 8 gear and just purrs along at low RPM.

If you read the reviews the only really negative criticism is that the rear seats don't have the same safety features as most of the other utes now but if 90% of the time you are using it as a daily driver and for work trips it's not a big issue really. If you have a collision realistically unless you run into a vehicle with similar mass it will not really factor into it that much. In any case hopefully they rectify that in the future model update. The seamless four-wheel drive always on is a factor that increases the safety have a most other utes anyway. It is fantastic on wet or icy roads. In the few times I've taken it off road in a minor way it is also seamless. You don't need a low range with this gearbox.

The hands-free is excellent and the sound system pretty good. The only issue is integration with my Galaxy 9 note phone and fix is 2 remove the phone from Bluetooth and set it up again which if you're travelling for 3 to 5 hours is a pain but acceptable. The GPS works great better than Google Maps for the most part.

The tray is huge and has served me very well for tip runs for the occasional transferring of loads between branches.

There are a lot of little nice touches with the auto wipers the one touch electric windows the cruise control the useful dash that gives you fuel economy range speed e t c.

Australia is pretty wasteful requiring 1 tonne trucks to evade fringe benefits tax. If they had any sense they would also extend that to electric vehicles and hybrids but the next best thing is a really efficient diesel like the Amarok. I understand the 2 wheel drive models are even more efficient at about 7.5 l per hundred kilometres.

It's pretty cool being able to conduct business on the phone as you drive in comfort and arrive at your destination six hours later relatively well-rested considering.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Awesome Drive. Excellent fuel economy.

I have a 2011 TDI 2.0ltr biturbo manual Amarok with 200K km and is a pleasure to drive just like most VW are

Positives:
* Great fuel economy ( was getting 950km off a full tank doing freeway driving with correct tires)
* Comfortable and smooth to drive on road with light steering ( drives like a car)
*manual is great off road with most base model having diff lock and lots of extras you find in top of the range other car models
* low end taking off abit slow but after 3rd 4th gear it takes off and also top end it has abit of power after 100km . Even at 150km speed u feel safe behind the whee
Overall an awesome ute to drive daily
Negatives:
* must keep to service manuals recommendations to the tee
*expensive to maintain and god forbid something major happens
* faulty trailer plugs craps the light electrics

Besides that if im getting 950 km off a full tank and others are getting 500km -650km well i saved enough money in fuel to compensate for high maintenance prices.

BadgeVolkswagen
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Techicnal Smart Practical poor

I have had Toyota Landcruiser's all my life our school bus was the very first Landcruiser troop carrier, corrugated Iron sides 3 speed petrol, We were after one vehicle to replace our 2006 Cruiser ute and 100 series wagon so we purchased the latest twin cab cruiser GXL had it for 3 months and sold it, looks great but poor value for money very sad after 50 years of Toyota products. We purchased an Amarock V6 twin cab auto about 1 month ago to replace our 100 series that now has 525000klm on it and Mitsubishi twin cab.

The Good points
We doing a lot of towing, consistently towing 3.5 ton in all conditions. The Amarock tows better than the 100 series with better fuel economy both empty and loaded. Technically the car is very good, one dirt hill we would be in low range in the 100 series the Amarock did it easily with over 1000kg more than the 100 series ever had. We picked it up from the dealer put 900kg in the tray hook up the trailer 3-3.5 ton and it towed easily, with out any suspension upgrade something the new twin cab Cruiser ute will not do.

The Down side
From a practical side the Amarock has some very bad points.
1)We do alot of rural work the parking sensors drive us crazy, they can't be turned off permanently, when trying to reverse around trees and stumps they are a real distraction I have put 2 dents in the vehicle whist trying to turn off the sensors, fine in town rubbish in the bush.
2)Tray light it is an excellent idea only you have to turn the engine off before it will switch on, so when you pull up at night and want to check whats in the tray (takes up to 60 seconds) the engine has to be switched off this is rubbish
3) A pallet does fit in the tray with diffuclty, A forklift with standard forks has to skid the pallet in as it can't get close enough to place it, the tail gate dosen't drop all the way down hence the tailgate after 1 month now has a couple of dents from the forklift
4) Tie down points in the tray is dismall, 4 points on the floor of the tray, when the tray is full you can't get to them, can't tie down drums or a full load now adding our own tie down points

Aside from the above to date we are please with the vehicles performance

great truck

Has exceeded our expectations. Purchased new in Dec 2017 and now with almost 30k on the clock. Paid a great price even though we thought it would be much more expensive beibg a VW. Handles way better than expected and hauls without fuss. Can not do without our first dual cab ute and already planning our next.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

My second one and happy

This is my second amarok and I'm happy as.

I had the single cab 2x4 in South Africa a d I was very happy with it, it looked awesome and the girls loved it haha but I emigrated to Australia and I needed to sell it with a heavy heart.

When I started to live in Australia I bought a Suzuki swift that is a great car but every time I'm next to a amarok at the light I feel like a shadow of the person I used to be and I couldn't shack that feeling off well until I have in and naught one again but this time I got the auto 4 motion.
I was never a man for a automatic car but this one is awesome, let me tell you why.
Me and my mates went out on a off-road camping and it was wonderful the off-road assist and traction control really make the day fun for example at the one obstacle there was a cheve blazer fully kitted out and he got stuck on the obstacle and needed to winch him self out. When he got out he looked back and see my amarok stock standard. He started to glot to his friends about how funny this is gone me but I ignored him and take it on anyway. I was scared that every one is going to laugh at me but a swallowed my fear and overcame the hill with white knockers and all!
When I was done I turned around to get my turn to glote a bit but him and his friend was so quick in their cars and on the road I didn't even get a chance to laugh at him.

So for that I'm in love with my Ute.
The only bad thing about the amarok is, is the service agent is really in help full and expensive.
O and the v-belts do climb off on some models so just check them for wear and as soon as it show any fatigue change them.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Reliable fast for a dc and economical

What can I say, have went to Uluru and back towing a big van and was surprised how good on fuel it was. Goes great offroad. Only problem I've had is a rear main leak but the dealer fixed it straight away. Serviced every 15k and drive to work in it every day.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Largest cab on market

Family car lots of room auto nice and smooth to drive cheapest on market with fuel most comfortable to sit in for long drives 4 cyclinder real gives great power with the twin turbos And upgrade on radio with one of the best blue tooth phones in cars today

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Good to drive longevity question

300,000 kms second motor, the first motor was fixed by vw but the second I'm waiting on a response but doesn't look promising...Its had the aftermarket cover over the timing belt however the sepentine belt (only 10,000kms old) still managed to get in behind the timing cover and destroy the head..

Drive400
BadgeTDI400
Date PurchasedOct 2012

Love it! But not again

Fantastic vehicle to drive. More comfortable to drive than the other main competitors in that market that i drove. Pretty good on fuel. Out competed a hilux and patrol when i went off roading in northern nsw. however, capped price servicing is super expensive and im apprehensive when the warranty runs out as a few items have needed to be replaced and the cost was quite high, If i had my time again i would have gone a vehicle with cheaper servicing and parts (hilux). But i still think the amaroks the best to drive.

BadgeTDI400
Date PurchasedDec 2015

Clutch blown up 65 000 ks

Never towed any thing heavy only box trailer to the tip dual clutch bad noises very expensive to replace 65
Ooo ks just a joke vw service very bad sub standard should be warranty job absolutely annoyed, if you look on the net some vehicles don't even make it to 15'ooo ks before this happens

CabSingle
DriveRWD
BadgeTDI340
Date PurchasedJun 2013

Amarok V6 Highline

I would like to share my experience about my second Volkswagen Amarok - a 2017 V6 Highline. This vehicle has now covered over 30K in eight months, a significant part of this towing our three tonne caravan. The V6 engine combined with the eight speed transmission has proven to be an amazing combination for hard work, providing effortless towing and excellent fuel consumption.
This vehicle has proved faultless, just as my previous four cylinder Amarok (50k and no warranty work). Steering, ride, cabin quietness and comfort astound me each time I drive. It is so good, one could only class it as a luxury car, not a commercial vehicle.
Fuel consumption has averaged 8.7 and 16.5 when towing. Operating/servicing costs are fair, service cost is more than a Hilux, but interval is 15,000 kilometres instead of 10,000.
My only request to Volkswagen; fit more modern safety equipment as in the least of the VW passenger cars and airbags for side/rear seat passenger protection.
Although missing some of the high tech safety equipment offered in other utilities, there are a number of safety advantages driving the V6 Amarok, such as, acceleration when passing road trains, quiet comfortable cabin, excellent ride and steering, disc braking on the rear axle and a vehicle that can tow three tonnes at posted speed limits and have vast amounts of power in reserve. It also has a unique trailer anti-sway system employed if fitted with a genuine Volkswagen tow bar and constant four wheel drive.

Ocotber 6th 2018 Update: V6 Amarok is undoubtably the best utility available in Australia.

My V6 Amarok is twelve months old being somewhat a lifetime car-buff, I can only say this is the best multipurpose vehicle ever parked in my garage. It has now covered 40,000 faultless kilometres, cruising long distances on Australia's poor highways, working around the city, towing heavy loads and enjoying the landscape with a three tonne caravan behind, the Amarok demonstrates its superiority over all other crew cab vehicles. When not towing, it is a cool sports car (leaving many performance cars behind), when cruising long distances, it morphs into a luxury sedan, quiet, comfortable and economical, when loaded with max loads the throb under the bonnet becomes more noticeable, however, the amazing V6 just gets to work - never slowing down, just drinking a little more fuel. The other astonishing thing with the Amarok is the harmony between the eight speed gearbox and the V6 engine. Cruising at maximum weight/highway speed is effectively managed in eighth gear where the "other" big towing vehicle, the V8T's never find top gear when loaded! The big Amarok just wants to be driven and enjoyed. Our VW dealer provides great personal service/back-up and VW keeps us in touch with their product advances.

BadgeTDI 550
Date PurchasedSep 2017

Best vehicle I have owned

Absolutely love the amarok, had it since new and now 3 years on. It feels like you are driving a car not a large 4x4. I have driven our work utes (hilux, ranger and navara) and they feel exactly like work utes. The amarok feels very refined all round and have not had any issues with it. Even without a low range box, the automatic gearbox was great on the beach, even in very soft and powdery sand. Also comes with an E locker standard which is very handy when four wheel driving. I would definitely buy another but I think I will hold on to mine for a very long time.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Oil consumption

The vehicle it self is a good Ute my concern is the amount of oil they use A new car should not use this amount of oil 2 litres of oil 8000k vw tell you it acceptable to use 500 ml every 1000k crap they should for a new car this is not acceptable I also have a ticking noise in motor I have in contact with dealer with no response

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Best truck on the market

After reading those bad reviews about the amarok i almost changed my mind buying one. I still bought one cause i love the look of it and its my 5th vw car i heard a lot of people extremely happy with the brand and some hate it. Is it a gamble to buy one? I m not sure but for me its a very affordable german car with no issues and every cars have problems i dont think parts are too hard to find probably not as easy as an hilux but i guess its the price to stand out in the crowd! Very happy with mine. If you like it buy it!

CabSingle