Vulcan Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Vulcan Freeloader Gas Hot Water System Questions & Answers

135L (648135) and 170L (648170)

26 questions from our users

Shaun M.

Shaun M.asked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

My 20 year old Vulcan Freeloader 300 is working fine but periodically makes rumblings sound from inside. Is it over heating, any suggestions.?

Nelz W

Nelz Wasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

I turned my system off a month ago as we went away .... now it won’t relight

Robbie

Turn the gas on and use a long lighter to light the burner

Robbie

Sometimes you need to run the gas through for a minute to purge the line

Marilyn Davis

Marilyn Davisasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

The water system is set to highest number of 7 and flame is on. However it is not heating up to boiling hot water , only water you can still put your hand under

Davo 767

Heat setting 4-5 is more than hot for me. I would suggest you contact your Rheem Service department ASAP. Rgds.

emilio c.

emilio c.asked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

i did asked a question and please don't answer at Christmas time

emilio c.

emilio c.asked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

pilot light is not lightining

Davo 767

Seems to be a fault with their ignition system. Had to call RHEEM and the man came out and replaced the whole system with a new one. Since then, perfect. Call RHEEM and see what they say. Cheers.

Hongyan Z.

Hongyan Z.asked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Hi I currently moved to a new home, the pilot I have light it up now, however still nil hot water at home, what could be the problem? Any switch ?

Robbie

Make sure the dial is between number 3 to 6. Get down and look to make sure the flame is big like a gas stove on high not just the pilot light. Try turn to setting 6/max if that does not work

Pootchy

Pootchyasked

how to light the pilot

Davo 767

Hi there, you will have to go online with the model number and then follow the guide there. Be warned, there was/is a batch with faulty ignitions. I had trouble a few months back and the Rheem man had to comer and replace/adjust pilot. Good luck. Mine was all under warranty and no probs.

Zoey H.

Zoey H.asked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

I read the reviews many problems with its pilot light, and other problems with this heater.

Robbie

I have never had a problem in 5 years with this model. Pilot light has never blown out and the unit has functioned flawlessly.

Davo 767

Hi Zoey, sorry for delay, the email went into the junk file for some reason. Strange you mention the Pilot light. After writing my review, went on holiday and turned unit onto "vacation"and when I returned could not relight the unit. The Rheem man (thank you Bob) came promptly and replaced the lighter system and had a fiddle around with the pilot and since then (4 months) it has been perfect. Hope this helps. Am still giving this HWS a high rating. Cheers

Tony C

Tony Casked

Freeloader 135L (648135)

How do I ensure that no hot water leaks when I turn off the cold water main to replace washers in a leaking hot water tap in the shower recess? The water heater is a Vulcan freeloader Gas 648135 NO. Reply to [email removed]

Regards. Tony. I rent

Quoc D

Quoc Dasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Had a 10 years old vulcan gas water, now rusted hot water keep on coming out every time i use it?

Robbie

It's rusted out in the bottom. Time to buy a new one.

Peter

Peterasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Vulcan 300 does running water turn the pilot flame back on?

Robbie

No. If the pilot is out you will need to follow the steps to re ignite it.

Davo 767

Hi Peter, NO ! There is a temp dial and recently was away for 3 weeks so turned the marker to the DOT after temp gauge 1 and this will leave the pilot ON but not reheating through the thermostat and thus saving gas for having hot water when you are not there. When I returned I moved the dial to 4 and boom (you could hear the gas igniting) and within 17 MINUTES, I had hot water again. So much so, that after a day I had to turn the dial down to 2 as the water was far too hot especially for the shower. Best $1200 I have spent in years. Hope this helps. rgds David.

Gary

Garyasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

We have a Vulcan Freeloader 300 Super 10, mains pressure gas hot water unit. It is 21 years old and has been trouble free except for the pilot light. Over this period pilot light went off about 5 times due to strong wind and after several attempts pilot would finally light up. Today the pilot went off again during strong wind and after many attempts lasting up to an hour it would not light up this time. Would anyone know what the problem might be? Does a part needs replacement? Thank you for your advice.

Pat

Hi 21 years is a great effort for your Gas Hot Water. Going by my experience from many years ago you could possibly need the thermocouple cleaned or replaced and I think it would be the latter, but either way you need a plumber. I hope this helps. Pat.

GeeCee

GeeCeeasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

We have a Vulcan 300......quite a few years old. The other day we thought we had a gas leak inside the house so turned the gas off at the meter to check if we had a leakage and which in turn shut the water heater off. We were able to re-ignite it but today for some reason, it has turned off and we cannot re-ignite it. Does the igniter needed to be replaced or is it more serious?

Pat

You don`t mention how old, it could just need the Thermocouple replaced you would need to ask a plumber to have a look.

Lora

Loraasked

Freeloader 170L (648170)

I have a fairly new hot water system 170 litre vulcan freeloader on gas n it keeps on running out of hot water after 2 showers. Why?

Robbie

Take the bottom cover off and check what number it's set to. 3 will only barely give you two hot showers. Adjust to number 5 or 6 for winter and 3 for summer.

Pat

I was going to say the same, except I have mine between 2- 3 and I have plenty hot water and it`s the middle of winter, in the summer I have mine on 2. My thoughts are if your water is scalding hot you are wasting money because you then have to add cold water to use it, more money down the drain as they say.

1. Make sure you have a Water Saver Shower Head. It may be a simple matter of too much Hot Water flowing down the drain. 2. Make sure your Thermostat is not too High where the recovery is taking too long to reach the Temperature set-up. 3. Avoid having "Baths"on a daily basis. They use horrendous amount of Hot Water. 4. Stop family members from singing very long songs or Arias (Opera) in the Showers.
Richard Boudville 5th Oct 2018 Perth.

BJS

BJSasked

Freeloader 170L (648170)

my sisters natural gas vulcan hot water storage unit keeps going out . should it be a thermostat problem? It is not leaking any water even though it is an old unit . I have an older unit on a farm working just fine .

Pat

Hey BJS It could be the Thermocouple ( not sure about the spelling ) on my very first Vulcan I actually replaced this part twice over a 14 year period, I think it is something to do with the pilot light firing up. I hope this helps.

Ronasked

Freeloader 170L (648170)

After having turned off the water supply for some other maintenance, then turned it back again, we get cold water service throughout the house but no water at all from the Vulcan hot water system, Is there an automatic water cut off in the system?

Robbie

Hi there. Make sure the water tap is fully open and check that the flame is on underneath by putting your head right down under the control knob. You can see the flame from underneath.

Ron

Thank you, all is well now. We discovered that the incoming supply of water to the unit had been cut, It has now been restored and the unit is back to good normal working order.

Thank you for your help.

Pat

As far as I know there is only one tap to turn the hot water off beside the unit, make sure your pilot light is lit.

Geoffasked

Freeloader 135L (648135)

My Vulcan 135lt gas mains pressure HWS shuts off the flame before the water is really hot. I suspect it needs a new thermostat. Can I replace it myself?

The 'Servicing' of storage HWS Thermostats etc. should only be done by Licensed Plumbers. It is not for the Home Hobbyist or D.I.Y handyman. There are rubber diapragms which may need replacing.

jack

jackasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Hot water is very slow to flow,Before it was fast.Please any help?

First of all, I'm not a Licensed Plumber. You may however TRY 1) Check Inlet is fully OPEN? .... 2) Check if the Inlet Turn-Off Valve may be a Reduction Valve? It may be FAULTY, and changing it is approx. $32.45 ; Mine has an R.M.C. (Non-Return Isolating Valve) with a Black Knob. ... 3) Check that your Hot Water Relief Valve (Mounted atop the Tank which has a Lever you can ease up to clear build-up of water CRUST. When you lift this Lever, hot water should GUSH out from the copper pipe attached to it. Take care the water may be quite HOT. Good Luck.

Sam

Samasked

Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Could anybody explain to me why the hot water in my tank is hot but no hot water running out of taps it is a valcan exterier hot water 170L?

Sal
Sal

having the same problem and cant see how mike replied....how did you solve this?

Kira

Kiraasked

Freeloader 135L (648135)

Does the Vulcan 4star use a gas bottle or through the normal gas that the oven would use? we have just moved into a new home and really need a shower.never used gas hot water before and can't even smell gas!!hope you can help

l57b
l57b

Please check with a licensed plumber but I think for us, I don't see any gas bottle so I assume it is through the normal gas that the oven would use. You might also want to phone Vulcan, as they would probably be able to confirm.

Niki J
Niki J

Hi there. As 157b said, you should go to a licensed gas plumber, but our Vulcan cylinder ran on gas and we only had gas bottles (no plumbed gas to our suburb). Unfortunately, although the cook top used gas (and we loved it!), the actual oven was electric. All our hot water ran off the gas and was brilliant. Only once ran out in about 13 years and that was with lots of visitors. Stick with it if you can!

Get an answer from our members and Vulcan representatives