Westpac Global Currency Card

See the Best Travel Money in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Big FAIL!!

I wont be getting this card again I have lost hundreds of dollars in charges so even though the AUD is more than the NZD it made no difference as the money that should have been saved was swallowed up entirely with fees!...so I will be cutting this card up and closing that account in the coming days for sure.

CurrencyNZD

Travel card blocked repeatedly

Card was blocked after a few normal transactions. Phoned to get it unblocked. Used again, then blocked. Another phone call and no explanation. Extremely inconvenient and annoying. Try a different travel card.

CurrencyZAR

Absolute rubbish!

The app doesn't work. Couldn't access my account via any device without activating my card each time with new password each time. I am so frustrated and angry that I was sold such a dud. Westpac have the wrong website on the paperwork and wasn't until I called the contact centre that I was informed the correct address to login. I have wasted so much time, including on the phone and in a branch trying to get the cards to work as they should. Even the Westpac call centre couldn't get it to activate via the app. Totally regret going to Westpac!!! I now have 2 days left before I leave for my trip and no time to get another card delivered.

Rip off, crap rates

Lost several hundreds of dollars due to crappy exchange rates! Save you money and just use a exchange service. Also money was sent to US then back to AUS took ages to receive! Crap crap crap!

CurrencyTHB
Competitive Exchange Rate No

Couldn’t even get a card without being Westpac customer

I clicked on an ad for this product when searching for travel cards online. I attempted to sign up for this at the Westpac branch in Queen Street Mall in Brisbane, as there is no way to sign up online unless you’re a customer already and have internet banking access. There was supposed to be a bonus $50 on signup, neither staff member I spoke to had heard of the promo, but quickly found it on their internal (intranet) page when prompted. I never got the card, as despite all their advertising, both staff said I had to be a Westpac customer to sign up, despite that not being a condition on either their website or in the advertisement. Staff tried to pressure me into opening a transaction account, with monthly fees associated. It’s a shame, because I actually fit the use case for this card as it has free withdrawals in Ukraine at a preferential rate.

Westpac Global Currency Card - Catch 22 Customer service

The expiry date on our Global currency card corresponded to when we were away travelling. We went to local Westpac Branch so see if the Currency Card could be issued a few week earlier than what we envisaged would occur automatically.

The branch response was "sorry cannot help, call the 1300 number". As the card is linked to my wife's customer number (although we have a joint account) she called the 1300 contact. After answering several questions regarding ID (full name, DOB email etc), then they started asking detailed questions about balances and transactions. However she could not answer these questions as our last significant use 2 years ago on previous travels, and reloads were by me ready for next trip.

She was not given opportunity to either talk to me or log onto the account on-line to get this information. Rather the customer service operator immediately suspended the account for "security reasons" as if her service request corresponded to some malicious hack attempt, and advised my wife she would need to go to the the local branch to prove her identity, un-suspend the account. Now my wife has to organise to take time off work to get to the bank. Back to square 1, (or maybe a better solution is to permanently end the loop.)

A useless piece of plastic

I have been travelling in Europe. In fact we have travelled throughout Europe for the past seven years , four months each time. We have used the Westpac normal debit and credit cards and found them to be fair..albeit the 3% charges etc . We tried the global card and to our disgust it was at a higher rate than what we were paying and still had transfer fees if it was not one of the affiliated banks. To test it...we withdrew the SAME amounts at the SAME time from the two cards...then checked the transaction statements. So the currency card is not worth it...it cost more !! In addition ..it is NOT linked to my normal Westpac accounts and sign in procedure, which in itself is a pain . Will be ripping it up.

CurrencyAUD, EUR, GBP and USD

Westpac Global Currency Card

Do not recommend this card. Dont bother and dont waste your time and money. I am a long time customer with Westpac. So was very surprised at the lack of quality and lack of service of this product.
REASONS and personal experience.
1. Westpack branch staff clearly state their unwillingness to communicate with the Global currency card staff.
2. If any issues like card is blacked, they do not notify you and when calling them they will not give you reason. You need to go to a branch to verify your identity. How is one supposed to do this when overseas. There is not alternative.
3. Cards are blocked very frequently even when there are no transactions
Even after going to the branch and getting all sorted the cards were still blocked.
4. Not a westpac owned, but a third party company providing service to westpac, operating from US. So the name is misleading.
5. Web sites different from westpac and with seperate logins.
6. Lodged a complaint and even though there are notes on the file. They have not contacted or confirmed that a complaint was lodged.
7. Oney was stuck with them for 2 months which I could not use or withdraw.

CurrencyEUR and GBP
Competitive Exchange Rate No

Very good during the trip, the trouble came later

I am a long time Westpac customer and used the Global Currency Card for travel throughout the USA. I had no issue using the card during the trip, nor was there any issues with topping up funds along the way via the mobile app. I though it was going well. The only issue I had and it is a significant one, is that the card still had pending transactions after the trip had ended and they continue to be extremely difficult to clear.

The two major transactions that have my money held were for over AUD$2000 for hotel reservations. I paid at checkout with another card but had reserved the booking using the Global Currency Card months earlier. The hotel says that they have cleared those funds and it is being held by Westpac. Westpac Global Currency Card assistance were less than helpful and kept saying they are unable to help and I need to wait for the expiry period of the transaction, which is another month away. The hotel even asked for the bank to contact them, but the Global Currency help line said they are only an inbound call centre and cannot make external calls. They wouldn't even ask a supervisor to contact me, again stating the reason that they are only inbound calls.

The hotel said I must be dealing with a small town bank, I said hell yeah I must be.

The two solutions left for me are to wait for the expiry on the transaction or to ring the USA again and ask the hotel to send a fax to Westpac asking for the funds to be cleared. The hotel didn't believe it was their issue when I rang them the first time, so I will have to ring them again to get this to happen. I won't know if they actually do it or not and only the hotel and Westpac will know, so the funds might not be cleared after this expense and trouble anyway.

It is a shame, I was a fan of the card during its use. The help line is poor and tarnishes what would have been a good product. Be wary of pending transactions, your money is held up for some time, even if it is clear it is owed to you. The bank website says that they will act on your behalf if there is a dispute, but it turns out this is not the case with pending transactions, only actual processed transactions. The sceptic in me says that is a good thing for Westpac to have my money held like this for another month.

Final verdict, good in theory, just let down by the help line and policies that do not look after the customer. Now I'm off to make overseas calls again.

DONT. Just dont.

18months in i will explain why tonight i ditched it. I will also share what to use instead.

1. Its bloody terrible. A card managed by the credit union association not Westpac. While its now integrated with Wpac online and updates in real time it sucks. Real bad. Read on.
2. A separate login and dodgy app that doesnt always equal the website
3. Really really expensive. If you use a westpac partner atm its free but thats rare.
4. They continually block one or other card.
5.Support is farked. Its appalling. They have twice block the card because they lost links to the card and we didnt know the exact foreign value of a puchase. Their solution required us to walk into a branch. While away. Yep. NO OTHER OPTION
6.. They have twice decided transactions are fraud but were not. But dont contact you.

Here is the better alternative learned.
ING ORANGE....They pay atm any foreign transaction fees and all atm fees if you deposit 1k in the month before and make 5 withdrawls or card payments. This month we saved $48 and that is just train fares paid online

CurrencyEUR and USD

Not good

Travelled to USA. Card worked fine for transferring funds from my westpac account and into USD. Issue is 30 days for hotel pre auth to clear. The hotel advised and then sent clearance details, but the amount is still pending. Questioned why this 30 day period isn't written in the PDS or anywhere for that fact. They said it's the merchants terms, not theirs. What a load of crap. It's almost $2000 Aud of my money just sitting... Where?
Not to mention, when I bought the card there was a $50 cash back offer. I've just found out you don't get that cash until 6 to 8 weeks after the promo ends. So won't see it until August at least.
My advice..stay away from the gimmicks and use your own bankcard OS + cash.
Oh and charged up to 9 dollars for transaction withdrawals in Las Vegas.

CurrencyUSD
Competitive Exchange Rate Yes

Horrible Customer Service!!

Traveled to Chile and opted for this card as it promised no fees.
In actual fact, I was charged CLP6,600 (AUD1 = approx CLD485) everytime I debited from the supposedly fee-free partner bank, SCOTIABANK.
It was cheaper to use Banco Estado (CLP4,900).
But that's besides the point.
As soon as I withdrew, on my first day, I contacted the bank and told them I w being overcharged, the customer service woman was soooo rude, questioned me and told me that it was hard to believe because it had never happened before. That no one had ever called with such a problem. I explained that I had just arrived and the last thing I wanted to be doing was go out of my way, in a foreign country to contact a call centre. Unbelievable!!
I asked her to reconfirm which bank I should use, she told me that it was on the website, after I had explained that I'd just arrived and was at a phone booth without internet.
She kept sighing.
It was just a horrible service.
I told her I was in Chile for a family tragedy and she didn't care. She was agitated and when I asked to speak to a manager, there was no one available.

Extremely disappointed and very out of character for a westpac staff. I've been a customer for 32 Yrs and have never had this treatment.

I will simply never use this service again.

The best way to use your money whilst travelling

I purchased a card on Monday afternoon so I could pay for things whilst I am on holidays anywhere in Australia or Overseas since it is more secure and I don't need to worry about being scammed.

CurrencyAUD
Competitive Exchange Rate Yes

Unable to use as EFT card in Chile

Have used Westpac Global cards in a few overseas destinations with no problems. However just recently in Chile found the card would NEVER work in EFT machines. No problem withdrawing cash at ATMs though, (This also applied in trying to use QANTAS cash card too). So had to resort to paying larger amounts such as accommodations and car rental on a standard credit card (with the associated foreign exchange fees). Suggest if you're travelling in Chile to make sure you have a few payment options available.

Amazing

Was hesitant to use this card due to all the bad reviews. It was amazing!! I used it over 4 weeks in the US, Mexico and Canada. Instead of transferring all of my money in one hit I just topped it up when I needed to and the money went over straight away. No problems with the APP. Most places I had to sign. Getting money out of an atm was easy using a Bank of America machine there was no fees. As I was only left with a couple of $$ left on my card I didn’t have to worry about transferring back to Australian dollars that way I didn’t lose money. Deffantly recommend using this overseas!!

Pathetic

A useless piece of plastic backed by a disgraceful, rigid support mechanism that sends you around in circles. At the recommendation of our bank, Westpac, we organised this card for our son to take on an overseas excursion in Italy, Slovenia and Croatia. We filled in paperwork to allow us access to the card to manage it from Australia but we are now informed that it was rejected but we were not advised at the time. He used it once, in Dubai, but now all transactions are being rejected yet the card shows as active on the online account access. We went into a bank branch but they say it is a separate department and has to be done over the phone directly with the Westpac Global Currency Card department, over the phone the GCC department recite the standard list of responses and say that they can only deal with our son but if we go into a branch they can do more, there is not ability for them to even tell us if there is an issue with the card. I tried phone support through my account, proving who I am, they can seen his accounts on our system, can see the card but can not offer any assistance other than to contact GCC. They want a child on a bus tour moving through Europe to ring them and sort out a card issue, we have all dealt with bank service and know how that goes. I would recommend anyone considering this product to find some other product, any other product.

What a joke

Used Global Card to pay for onboard purchases on cruise. Did not know it would take 30 days for the pre authorisation amount to be credited back to card after total account had been paid. Unable to use MY MONEY for 30days. Westpac can't or won't tell me why it takes 30days to get back. It must be coming on foot. Hello there at Westpac it is 2018. Computers are in use everywhere. Will be cancelling card the day the refund arrives. Be aware don't use on a cruise.

Avoid at all costs

- Withdrawing money takes 10 days via bank transfer (although deposits are, unsurprisingly, instant)
- Customer support takes ~2 minutes to get through due to a pre-recorded PDS playback
- A payment dispute required me to FAX a handwritten form to a FAX NUMBER (this is 2018..). After two weeks - no contact - form had not been received. Emailed the PDF to an inbox - received an automated reply saying "this inbox is not manned". Customer service notified it could be 90 days to resolve issue. Received another email saying "It's going to take another 90 days". Still pending confirmation of funds release.

This is hands down the worst experience I have ever had with a product or service in my lifetime. Upon researching, the currency card is actually managed by Cuscal and the customer service is outsourced. No idea why Westpac offers this given the damage to their brand - and the previous product reviews.

I beg you, don't put yourself through it...

Horrible - Customer service whilst overseas was a joke

Chose card as first time in Cambodia and existing Westpac customer. First time using tried to withdraw US $190. ATM did not disperse funds. Went to local bank and they advised call Westpac. Looked at app and appeared money had been reversed so considered all was fine. Next day showed money deducted. Called Westpac and was advised to complete form and fax to them. Ok so someone is a loyal customer calls abouts small amount and told to fill a form and fax? This is hopeless in 2018 to fill in a form and fax when in a 3rd world country. I withdrew rest of money in card and used normal card rest of trip with no dramas. Would not waste my time with this card again. Will stick to own normal card for future trips. Will be interesting to see how long takes to get money back. Also be aware you have to withdraw money from card you cannot transfer unused funds back to your account.

DO NOT get this card if you are travelling to Hawaii

As an existing customer of Westpac and for the convenience, I chose to get a Westpac Global Currency Card to use in New York and Hawaii. I had no issues withdrawing money from affiliated ATM’s in New York But when I arrived in Honolulu there was not one affiliated ATM that I could withdraw money from without being slugged a free of $3.50 USD at the ATM then another $2.00 USD was also charged to my card.
I know that I should have checked before I decided to get this card and will do next time I need to decide which travel card is more suited to my needs.
DO NOT GET THIS TRAVEL CARD IF YOU PLAN TO TRAVEL TO HONOLULU. As at October 2018 when I visited Hawaii there was not one affiliated ATM...........if you choose this card, be prepared to pay excessive fees.