ZTE MF920V

ZTE MF920V

See the Best Mobile Broadband Devices in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Jason B

Jason B

Fire hazard

Worked great for 12 months. Started to notice back casing not fitting well then eventually popped off one day to reveal a swollen battery underneath. Was very hot and I imagine quite dangerous and a serious fire hazard.

Unfortunately, I havent kept the receipt so will need to purchase another modem.

Faypa

FaypaAU

ZTE MF920V MOBILE BROADBAND FROM OPTUS

I bought this modem from Kmart in December 2018 and so far it is performing as expected. I only use it intermittently as I have a NBN connection with a WiFi modem but need this when the power goes out in storms as the NBN stops working.

The battery lasts about a day and a half before it runs down then I recharge it so it isn't plugged in all the time. I haven't had to reset it and connection for 4G is good in this area so no problems there. Sometimes lately it has dropped out a couple off times so don't know it this is the modem or Optus 4G connection. I use a prepaid plan.

It connects well with the devices I use, both table and laptops.

Purchased in December 2018 at Kmart for $45.00.

Number of Connected Devices 5 devices
ISPOptus Mobile Broadband

Beau CornerstonePERTH, WA

Potential fire hazard. Monitor regularly.

Purchased in March 2018 at Big W Retail Stores for $45.00.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices

Date PurchasedAug 2017

The_Troggs

The_TroggsPreston

Good 4G WiFi

I have the optus version but unlocked so I can use it with any Australian SIM card. Its pretty good. I mostly use it on holidays or as back up when my optus home internet packs up (often). Its actually faster than my adsl2 so its a relief to use but you have to pay for the data as mobile broadband so not so cheap. It is very simple to use and works well

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Email.FSouth East Queensland, QLD

Cheap & easy

I purchased this modem to use when I moved, with intention of it being an interim measure until I got internet connected but it’s so good I’m not going to bother with cable. Set up couldnt be simpler - plug in and insert sim. Havent experienced drop outs or any problems connecting and using several devices at once. I stream a lot of TV and no problems there either. Great alternative!

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Tony

TonyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not bad but could be better

It does not have a removable battery, an LCD screen or a way to control data usage. It also is very big in comparison to other models, however at a RRP of $45 AUD its hard to complain too much as it still does have 4G.

MichSA

MichSAAdelaide

A good, sturdy modem

Tori

ToriVictoria, 3212

Excellent reception, easy to connect and a saviour when travelling

Being able to have internet on the go that is this reliable is great. We use it when travelling longer distances and on holiday, mostly for the kids but works all the same.

Boanerges

BoanergesGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

OK until it karked it

Got this on special from KMart - only $35. It worked like a charm; fast, good interface and dead easy to set up. Battery life is a bit weak but I just left it plugged in in the day and it was fine. Signal reception was excellent - better than my phone. Then after a few months it started to switch off randomly even when fully charged. After a few days of that I took it back to KMart for an exchange but they don't carry it any more. Got the money back and bought a Huawei from Woolies instead.

Suraj

Surajasked

I want to keep it connected 24 hrs, plugging it in, want to use it like normal adsl home modem. Is it okay with this model?

Email.F

Sure is - this is what I do!

Beau Cornerstone

Hi Suraj, We used to keep ours plugged in 24/7, but I am starting to unplug it when I go out to the shops etc as a safety precaution. As I understand it, the modem is supposed to charge up and then trickle charge (like a mobile phone does if you leave it plugged in). There's nothing in the instructions which suggests that you have to disconnect it after it's fully charged.

However based on our experience, if you do keep it plugged in, keep an eye on the unit. Look for signs of overheating or its battery overheating. You might notice the back cover starting to swell or split open. If you notice this, return it to where you bought it or buy another brand. We're on our third unit and this one is starting to fail too. Hubby thinks this particular brand modem may have a production fault so it doesn't switch over to trickle charge and just keeps overcharging until it overheats. My advice if you leave it plugged in 24/7, check it regularly for signs of the battery swelling and keep it away from flammable materials like papers on the desk etc.

Get an answer from our members and ZTE representatives