VerifiedMPN:ALT18B

Dwayne
DwayneDarling Downs, QLD58 posts
  Top Review

I am converted

Much like many who find themselves purchasing battery-powered gardening tools, I was sceptical that I would be converted to the idea of batteries over fuel. The very first moment I used this, I was immediately converted. I was tossing up between this and the 58v AEG and purchased the 18v trimmer not only because it is cheaper, but gives me access to the 18v battery ecosystem of AEG tools. I also purchased an 18v blower which is a marvel in itself.

The build quality of the AEG line trimmer was impressive. I have long believed that battery-powered line trimmers (especially a straight shaft like this one) would never have the power or longevity of petrol-powered whipper snipper. I will happily admit that I was wrong. If anything, I have fun trimming the grass again, knowing I don't have to mix fuel and oil, prime, choke and pull a rope and hope it starts.

If you are on the fence or hesitant that this won't do the job, it's normal to have these doubts if petrol is all you have ever known. But, trust me, battery tools are the way of the future, and this is cutting edge tech (sorry, had to throw that pun in). The batteries take no time to charge up, and I love the charger that comes with the non-skin version, it's sturdy and looks professional.

Because the head supports 2.4mm line, get yourself some decent heavy-duty 2.4mm razor line, which will cut through anything. I have not encountered anything that this won't cut through, no slow down or issues of any kind. Somehow, this line trimmer seems to have more power than my petrol whipper snipper did, which is an impressive feat in itself.

My experience was plug-and-play. I took it out of the box, put it together and could use it right away. The head had some decent 2.4mm line in there already. This is the ultimate suburban line trimmer, and AEG tools seem to be well-made, and the battery lasts forever.

Purchased in at Bunnings Warehouse for $399.

• Product is used: Weekly
  • Grass Type: Short grass, Tall grass and Thick, heavy grass or weeds
Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
Ragnar
RagnarSydney, NSW8 posts
  Top Review

Disappointing quality and customer service

Not impressed. I also have a light petrol Stihl and a heavier Husqvarna trimmer, but bought the AEG for the simplicity of battery operation.

The User Manual is an Ikea-style "guess what the diagram means". An insult to the customers- it costs peanuts to write a proper manual for a global company like AEG.

After 14 (30 minute) uses on my 1/4 acre residential block in Sydney, I found the central bump core of the line spool had worn out so it no longer worked properly. The plastic has the toughness of liquorice when used on path edging. Replacement part from AEG? Sorry, not in stock . How about Bunnings where I bought it? - sorry not in stock, but sure, submit a request and we'll get back to you on if and when we can supply you with one, one day.

I'm sold on the battery concept, but recommend you get a better brand from a mower shop where they at least carry spare parts and can service the equipment.

Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
dylansouthcott23
dylansouthcott23Mid North Coast, NSW

Just received

I just got a ALT18B aeg line trimmer and it seems as though the pins that hold the shaft in aren’t lined up correctly, has anyone had a similar issue? Show details
kass
kassRichmond-Tweed, NSW6 posts

I love this!

I used to hate whipper snippering. The noise, the drama of getting the flippin thing to start. Hated it. So I bought the AEG battery whipper snipper..and I love it! Put the battery in and press the trigger. That's it. Battery is good for our suburban block. Power is good enough for edging and reasonably long grass. Only quibble is that a shoulder strap is not included but it only took 10min to make one. Best thing I've bought for ages. Show details
IanQueensland5 posts

Joe bloggsSouth East Queensland, QLD126 posts
Greg
GregIllawarra, NSW

Poor Battery Life

I have three batteries. 1 showed full charge but cut out after 10 seconds of use. AShort time later the second stopped charging. The 3rd battery is only lasting less than half the time. These batteries are over $300 and I expected to get more than 2 years with occasional use. Lucky I got the extended warranty. Show details
Toby
TobyHunter Region, NSW3 posts

Garbage

Quite,light
50ms
Overheats and kills battery very quickly
Stopped spinning after a few goes
Garbage, also bought a drill and started squilling after drilling a few holes will never buy aeg against, used to be good but build quality has gone down the drain Show details
Ric K.
Ric K.2 posts

AEG ALT18B line Trimmer (OUTSTANDING)

Another quality product from the guys at AEG , stacks of power, I have half an acre with a large front and rear lawn gets through it effortlessly, , its balanced well , with 2 speeds ,its light and very easy to control, as a tradie I use AEG tools at work, but I am now a AEG garden tool convert Jet blower next , well done guys great trimmer. Ric . Show details
HS C.
HS C.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC2 posts

It does the job, battery drain fast, and worst is no body strap making my lower back pain. Not good for tall Aussies

The AEG people try to save the cost of a body strap then sell you more straps afterwards. I I am 6 foot tall and my lower back pain started to complain after did my average lawn. We paid the market value, using our own labour, then take the painkiller. What a wonderful DIY marketing system.  Show details
glenn65ens
glenn65ensSouth East Queensland, QLD5 posts

ros
rosVictoria

it is a disaster,

I purchased from Bunnings, sold as a better product
Barely cut the grass, cord seemed to be the problem, tried to change it and the instructions are pathetic.
Hope Bunnings will let me retun it
Really upset as I waste so much time and energy
 Show details
Tim
TimNewcastle24 posts

Quite good

Only used it a few times but pretty powerful. Probably not quite as powerful as my old ryobi petrol weed wasp but without the hassle of fuel leakage and occasional starting problems. Much quieter too! It is a little heavy and I might remove the second part of the cowelling to allow better access to tight spots. Battery only part discharged in my small medium yard. Overall pretty happy with it. Show details

Jan K
Jan K

I have found the ALT 18b whipper snipper bump feed stop to be very soft, it has worn through after only a few hrs use, it seems AEG do not supply this part separately.
Very disappointing as machine is fantastic otherwise

Khan T.
Khan T.

AEG alt18b how to replace the bump
Feeder

Steven C.

ALT 18B line trimmer, keep cutting out, after 1-2 minutes in use. (Battery was fully charged and properly inserted?

Features:

• The AEG ALT18B whipper snipper uses a lithium-ion battery, helping you power through all your gardening with little effort.
  • A straight and split shaft design lets you use the same engine to power other attachments, like a lawn edger.
  • The machine is 3.7kg, making it a relatively lightweight option that can make covering larger areas that much easier.
  • It’s 97 decibels when running, making the noise level comparable to being inside a nightclub.
  • This whipper snipper will cost you $299, which includes a 6 year warranty.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the AEG ALT18B was comfortable to use and easy to maintain.
  • They also appreciated the long lasting battery, and said it helped them get through their gardening tasks without needing to constantly recharge.
  • The whipper snipper is quiet for the level of power it has, according to reviewers.
  • Reviewers praised the quality of the machine, saying that it was very durable.
CategoryBattery Whipper Snippers