Air New Zealand

Air New Zealand

See the Best International Airlines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

They lie and off load bags. Worst airline

Queenstown to Brisbane 11 August. Told all people they were moving bags around for weight yet the plane was not full. Over 50 people in line at Brisbane now complaining the bags aren’t here. Basically NZ Airlines lies to all passengers. Never ever fly this airline again.

BookingThrough Airline

Cancelled my ticket. Didn't notify me.

I was booked to fly with Air New Zealand tonight (Firm Business Class ticket from Australia to USA) but they changed me to tomorrows flight without notifying me or giving a reason. I found this out when checking in a few hours before departure. After spending 70 minutes on the phone to customer service it was obvious they simply did not care and they offered no solution. I had to buy a last minute ticket on another airline at enormous cost as I could not arrive a day late. This is the third time in two years AirNZ have done this. Never again.

DestinationUSA
ClassBusiness Class

Not very ethical

Took our money months before flight & refused to refund when one of us got very ill. Never use them again. Had well over months notice & could easily have resold tickets.

Air New Zealand Ground Crew courteous and professional

Travelled recently over the dish. Arrived at Sydney Airport very flustered and was greeted by the Air New Zealand ground crew. I was very impressed by the reception I received. In particular a young lady by the name of Kat. Was made to feel calm and special by her professional demeanour.

Do not fly Air NZ!!!!

I booked my elderly mother from WLG to SYD with special aassistance wheelchair access. I even called the airline to reconfirm as she recently underwent knee replacement surgery. I was assured that my mother would be taken care of even at the arrival destination. When she arrived to Sydney the airline staff told her that there were no wheelchairs available and that a staff member would assist her by walking alongside her to the arrivals gate. How the hell is that assisting her? She is still walking on her own which she is physically not capable of doing. When she came out my mother was visibly in physical pain and was unable to sleep or find relief that same evening. I am disgusted with this airline so unprofessional with no accountability. Never flying or booking this airline ever again. Low budget no thrills airline no better than tiger airlines

DestinationSydney NSW, Australia
BookingThrough Airline

Average airline, pretending to be more

We flew from Sydney to Wellington for the long week-end, departing Fri 7/06/19 on NZ842, and returning Mon 10/06/19 on NZ849. The Airbus 320 Neo is a nice plane, although a bit noisy. However, the service wasn't great. We had "The Works" package, which includes food, drinks and entertainment. But the better food choice was already gone long before the serving trolley reached us (rear section, but close to middle of the plane). Similar on the return flight, the beef Stroganoff was gone way before it came to us. Such a coincidence!!! Not really, beef is a more expensive product, this is probably why they load the plane with chicken. No explanations or excuses from the serving staff, just a blank stare. On the return flight my wife ordered a Pinoit Noir with the (chicken penne) meal, but she only got half a cup, as the bottle needed to be replaced. The stewardess promised to return with a new bottle, but she never came back. She passed our seats a few times, avoiding eye contact. There are also a few good things that I need to mention, but they have to do more with technology - such as entertainment system and movies selection. I used to have gold status on Air NZ, a long while back. More recently Qantas is my preferred choice of airline. And for good reasons. And based on my recent experience, next time I'll be happy to pay a bit extra and fly Qantas rather than Air NZ.

DestinationWellington, New Zealand

Replacement Airpoints Card

I have held a Air New Zealand Airpoints card for over twenty years. My card is falling to pieces, I rang Air New Zealand today and am told that they cannot post a new card to an Australian address. They Even asked if they could mail it to a NZ address. Are they going that badly or is this just very poor customer service.

Complaint!

I have been traveling between the US and Australia for 11 years every year on Qantas Airlines. I decided to go to New Zealand as somebody recommended them. My flight was on May 18 from DFW (Dallas TX) to Houston TX flight # UA282 Night at Airlines operated by a New Zealand. Then from Houston TX to NZ to Australia on flight #NZ29 and #NZ123. The flight from Dallas to Houston was delayed due to bad weather however we arrived in Houston at 9:07 PM. Our flight from Houston to New Zealand on flight #NZ29 I was not leaving Houston until 9:20 PM. I was four of us a 70-year-old man, a young couple and myself 48. We were running like crazy to our gate D 11 to catch our NZ29 flight. We got to the gate at 9:19 PM, 09’s were not cold over the pager in the airport at all. The plane had already left!!! The New Zealand staff at gate D11 really didn’t give a damn that the plane left earlier than what it was supposed to. We told him why has the plane gone we still have a minute to get on the plane where the hell is the plane you didn’t even page our names, we have just been running to catch this flight, why did you leave, why didn’t you wait for us?! you couldn’t even wait one minute for us how despicable how disgusting this is happened to me before with Qantas Airlines and let me tell you. They will wait up to seven minutes for you, and will page your name in the airport and even send security to go look for you! As I said this is not my first rodeo I’ve been doing this flight for 11 years back-and-forth with Qantas who are beyond excellent. The staff at New Zealand really didn’t give a damn and just told us go to United Airlines they have to deal with you! We walked over to United airlines they told us that New Zealand air took it upon themselves to book us on a flight two days later to Australia on May 20. United airlines told us to go back to a New Zealand that they holding our luggage and I have to get us a hotel for the next two nights. So we go back to the other side of the airport to the Air New Zealand counter and it is closed then we go back to gate D 11 where our flight was that left us behind and they were gone. We call a New Zealand on the phone seven times I have screenshots of the calls each call was between 40 minutes and 1 1/2 hours long!!! We were playing table tennis between a New Zealand and United airlines both of these airlines were blaming each other and neither of them wanted to take responsibility and did not care that the four of us would sleep in the airport for the next two days because neither one of them wanted to pay for our hotel rooms. How despicable disgusting customer service!!! This ordeal was going back-and-forth between the two airlines for 4 1/2 hours. At this point I became so distressed I just started to cry at the airport. Security work I saw me and she approached me it is now 1:30 in the morning. and where arriving Houston airport because everything is closed and nobody will help us between the two airlines. Finally the security woman took us to United gate E9. Woman there at your night it was absolutely a palled at the treatment that was happening to us she got us on the flight the next day from United airlines straight to Los Angeles straight direct to Melbourne Australia. This woman also got us taxi cab charges to the hotel room for the night and gave us $30 vouchers to use tomorrow at Houston airport. Thank God for this woman otherwise we would’ve slept two nights at Houston airport, nobody else could give a crap! I became so stressed from this and so disorientated from the stress I felt like I was having a nervous break down going between the two Airlines for 4.5 hours, absolutely despicable! Not only that I know for a fact because I’ve been doing this trip with Qantas for 11 years I can carry one carry-on and check into Bags for an international flight they charge me $360 for my second bag telling me I’m only allowed one check in bag for an international flight! I will never ever travel air New Zealand or United again ever! The two women at Houston airport that helped me are Roseland Parks security and United worked at gate E9 Claudia Harker. United staff members at the customer service desk were absolutely terrible and didn’t care!

BookingThird Party

My son has been studying in the US for the last 2 years and flown multiple times back and forth from Adelaide.
I too have flown to see my son with Air New Zealand.
Not once have either of us had a bad experience with this airline.
We have both found them to be very accommodating in every way.
I have also had to change an international flight and the customer service officer was extremely helpful and understanding.
I now would not fly to the US with any other airline as I trust them implicitly.
Thank you Air New Zealand for making my time away from my son the only thing I didn’t have to worry about.

Annie

Unreasonably overcharged by Air New Zealand

Avoid dealing with Air New Zealand
For context, I have travelled with AirNZ regularly, mainly for work, for 15 plus years and have maintained Elite status for most of that time.

Now however, i will use up my points and will then seriously consider all and any other airline for trips than fly with this devious, greedy and morally bankrupt airline whose policies and actions care nothing for the fair treatment of its customers.

The most recent, in a string of inept and financially ruinous examples of their behaviour- i had a credit for a flight which i had previously cancelled and was forced to ring AirNZ (for a booking fee of $60) because they would not let me rebook online. So, thats $60 gone for no reason other than AirNZ’s opportunism.

I was then charged well over $900 more for my flight than i could have paid, had i been able to book the exact same flight direct via the AirNZ website. This on a $2000 flight.
When enquiring about this, i was informed that AirNZ callcentre staff do not have access to the website fares.

You decide whether this is
a) true
b) fair and reasonable
or c) a blatant money gouge taking advantage of a situation engineered by the airline.

Other annoyances include the cancellation of flights with no clear reason, the so called deals where they lure you in with a cheap fare to your destination but a massively inflated fare to return home and a raft of other shonky practices not to mention AiNZ’s almost pathological inability to either depart or arrive on time. And don’t tell me that +\-15 minutes counts as on time because for a 35 minute flight, it most definitely is not.

Yes, i expect AirNZ to run a profitable airline, and yes, sometimes flights have to be cancelled due to weather, issues with the plane and so on but what i do not expect, after years of loyalty when there are numerous alternatives, is to be treated as a means to prop up your finances and ailing balance sheet.

All that said, kudos to the many flight crew who have looked after me over the years, and the employees i have been seated next to on various flights. Almost without exception, you have all been friendly, professional, understanding and a real credit to the brand.

P.S. Engineering is not a reason to give customers for cancelling a flight. Engineering is what gets the plane in the air in the first place

Business class joke

Before booking business class, take a look at the cabin layout. You are effectively facing the people across the aisle ! Economy has more privacy ! And also be aware that unless you are a gold member, a business class ticket does not get you in to a lounge prior to a business class domestic partner airline connection. I'm posting this to help others as it is hard to find this out at the time of booking. On the positive side the help centre helpfully and efficiently confirmed the lack of lounge access at Houston (and everywhere else it seems)

DestinationDetroit, MI, USA
ClassBusiness Class
BookingThird Party

Portable cot not included as baby item

Only pram, stroller and car seats are allowed as free items when you travel with baby. I got official response from Air NZ that portable cot is not free baby item. I never had any problem with other airlines about bringing portable cot. How can they call themselves "Family Friendly"? Very disappointed!

DestinationAuckland, New Zealand
BookingThrough Airline

AIR NZ website info needs updating - Customer Service operators needs extensive training - Worthless Airpoints program

I rang the 132476 number from sydney after seeing the following on their website:

"Star Alliance flights
Your Airpoints Dollars could take you further than you expect with the ability to spend your Airpoints Dollars on a range of reward tickets for flights with our Star Alliance partners. Use your Airpoints Dollars to book Star Alliance airline flights by calling our Air New Zealand contact centre. A limited number of these reward tickets are available on each flight, so it pays to book early. "

I called their contact centre as the reference above clearly indicates "to book Star Alliance airline flights by calling our Air New Zealand contact centre" which means it cannot book this online which is fair but the whole problem started from here - I was put on hold 2 times and the conversation including holding time lasted 49 minutes and 25 seconds. During this time, operator put me on hold twice as she needed to discuss with her manager. Apparently "airpoints" can only be used for Air New Zealand flights or if used on Star Alliance flight it has to originate from New Zealand.

Operator/Team member clearly had no clue on how Star Alliance and Code Share flights work. I had recently redeemed Velocity points to fly from Singapore to Vietnam with Silk Air/Singapore Airlines and I did all of these online. This flight booking originated from Singapore and Velocity Rewards points (Virgin Airlines Frequent Flyer) were used to purchase a Singapore airlines flights.

Not only that Air NZ is so behind their time but their website needs to be looked at by their management.

The bottom line is, "airpoints" is worthless unless you want to fly with Air NZ with strict restriction in claiming points on Star Alliance flight. I felt sorry for the operator/team member that I spoke to as I clearly took my frustration on her but the Manager did not even bother to offer her or his assistance after I was being put on hold twice on the issue.

The last time I flown with air nz was about 5 years ago and will be flying with them business class at easter - what was I thinking? With frequent flyer program such as airpoints,don't bother.

We have all seen the hype by Air New Zealand - they will be cutting fares to regional cities! Yippie!

For years with generally little or no competition from a competing airline, Air New Zealand have been able to "subsidise" their international routes, to be competitive, all to the detriment of regional N.Z cities

The day after the announcement by the CEO on National T.V we booked two tickets to fly Nelson - Auckland and return in July 2019. We thought we'd get a competitive deal for a change for these two flights. How wrong we were...

Having found the appropriate flights we went through the online booking process (which is cumbersome and loaded with headings offering car hire, hotel accommodation et-al) only to find the fare shown on the initial screen was considerably inflated by additional charges.

These were for A) using a credit card to pay, and the best part; B) we had to pay for a seat! (There was no standing option offered which we would have done for a short flight), of course the government were in on the act with GST on the accumulated total. The effect of all this was the cost went from NZ$ 274.78 to NZ$ 352.00 (an increase on the advertised fare of just on 20%)

Looking at the scenario of a contract...The offer was to carry us from Nelson to Auckland and return on specific days on specific flights - cost quoted was NZ$ 274.78; begrudgingly we accepted that proposition; however after an agreement was made - Air New Zealand then added other costs. This is a very deceitful and dishonest game they play, as they have an almost total monopoly and we the mugs i.e. their customers/passengers, are force to accept this dishonesty! This says a lot about this budget Airline charging premium prices!

Use someone else or another mode of travel if you possibly can to travel in New Zealand.

Up grade not value for money

We recently paid for a "one-up" upgrade between Sydney and Auckland. The plane was a rental, but there was nothing wrong with our comfort in flight. It was the service that was not up to Air NZ reputation. It was slow, and at times non-existent, the toilets were dirty, even though it was a short flight and the plane was not busy. Meal delivery was slow as was a top up on our drinks. I was offered a top up and I was still drinking my first glass, when a did require a little more, the steward was not to be found. Food was nice. Really would think twice before paying for an upgrade on our next flight in May

DestinationAuckland, New Zealand

Not happy!!!!!

I have flown twice with this airline. Our trip to Australia was fine...good service and friendly attendants. On our way back I asked for a drink as I wasn't feeling well and it took 3 hours and asking 4 times. I finally got it after the breakfast meal was served. The female attendant was rude and made me feel like I had inconvenienced her. I was feeling very dehydrated and just needed a glass of water but had to wait until everyone was served.

Fog delays, total debacle missed connecting flights

Mon 28 Jan 2019 internal domestic flight cancelled from New Plymouth to Auckland. A courtesy bus was engaged, bus left late, gear box stuffed, was delayed in Te Kuiti and traffic then air con packed up and were late so all international passengers missed their rescheduled flights!. No Air NZ rep was on board the bus to drive the schedule and process. A complete bogan bum-fight!. Complacent staff (particularly in New Plymouth), no proper contingency plan in place, no priority given to international travellers who should have been on a courtesy mini bus earlier to get to Auckland airport on time to check into international flights. Some travellers stayed overnight, I managed to secure an Auckland - Brisbane, then Brisbane to Sydney flight to get home. I was at New Plymouth airport at 7.00am and arrived in Sydney 11.00pm. Communication was poor, some staff helpful others could not have cared less. All passengers inconvenienced should have been upgraded to full meal/beverage packages. To top it off Qantas left my bagged in Brisbane and arrived next day in Sydney.

horrible cutomer service

Absolutely disgusted with AirNZ, I have flights booked from Brisbane to Papeete this Friday that were originally landing at 7am... now landing at 12.30am and originally departing at 9am, now departing at 2am. So I now have to book two extra nights accommodation and there were no alternative flights either day each side of my flights. AirNZ have basically said too bad, zero compensation, no free accommodation for those nights, no meal tickets... NOTHING. I don't see how an airline can change flight times so drastically and you just have to deal with it. Yes I could get a refund, but then I lose all my accommodation and no other airlines fly to Tahiti from Australia. Won't be flying with them again.

Flight cancelled

Jan 30th. Just had my flight from Tauranga to Auckland cancelled. The board said "on schedule" as we could see the luggage being removed from the plane and pilots leaving. Missed my Auckland to Manchester Emirates flight. I had allowed a 4 hour connection.
No other plane provided, they could have got one from Auckland or any other local airport. Booked me on the next day and it cost me $940 to change my Emirates booking. No compensation so have put in a very strong complaint and claimed my out of pocket expenses. Staff not helpful, announcements too late, no compensation. NOT good enough Air NZ. I have heard of lots of flights that you have cancelled. Do you ever try to provide a replacement flight.
Too much of a monopoly. Terrible customer service and no duty of care to provide the service I have paid for. Awaiting your reply to my complaint.

Worst customer service!! Avoid like the plague.

Horrible experience with Air New Zealand. Would not even recommend this company to my enemies. That's how bad this airline is. Delays. Cancelled flights. Told to upgrade seats if we wished to be seated together (pregnant wife). Advised flight was full. Get on board and the flight was empty so we paid extra $$ for no reason. Damaged luggage and no response from any complaints lodged.

Hello, we are flying from Sydney to Rarotonga via Air New Zealand. The flight is at 9.30 pm. I was wondering what meal is served. I purchased an economy with the works ticket. Thank you.

If you have a complaint about the airline who should you send it to? I was told flightcomment@airnz.co.nz by a groundstaff manager but no anwer yet
According to their website: https://airnzau.custhelp.com/app/ask?_ga=2.9486579.752093966.1513667748-243615768.1507955230#

Recently flew Gold Coast to Houston premium economy. The first leg was Gold Coast to Auckland works delux. I was 1 D and 1F was an expectant mother with toddler who she promptly sat in the reserved spare seat between us.wondering what is airnz policy on this situation? I would not go works delux again if there was a chance of this happening again.
The free seat is fair game - airlines generally like to accomodate parents with lap toddlers by offering spare seats if they can. Trust me, your experience would've truly been absolutely awful if that baby was forces to stay in poor mum's arms the whole time (hello temper tantrums!) She didn't break any rules. In other words - get over yourself and have a little compassion, it's survival mode in the air. For goodness sakes the poor woman was pregnant and flying a toddler without help! She deserves a medal!The free seat is fair game - airlines generally like to accomodate parents with lap toddlers by offering spare seats if they can. Trust me, your experience would've truly been absolutely awful if that baby was forces to stay in poor mum's arms the whole time (hello temper tantrums!) She didn't break any rules. In other words - get over yourself and have a little compassion, it's survival mode in the air. For goodness sakes the poor woman was pregnant and flying a toddler without help! She deserves a medal!Emily is wrong. It is a guaranteed empty seat so that you have a bit more room. It is not for a toddler. It should never have been used and is not 'fair game'. You don't pay extra to have a toddler seated next to you. It is Emily who feels entitled and needs to get over herself.