Apple TV

3.8

Josh O.

Josh O.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Doesn't work on mac

Even though it was free with a new iPhone purchase it'd be even worse if i'd have to pay for it. Don't bother if you don't have an iPhone or iPad. You'd think Apple would be able to replicate a video streaming service similar to Netflix or Amazon but it's rubbish. Content would probably look good if it wasn't restricted to a tiny screen...Pointless.

Purchased in September 2020.

Jess

JessLondon

Worst experience I've ever had

Worst experience setting this up of any service I've ever encountered. It's put me off ever buying another apple device. Support is shocking. If you haven't begun the tedious process, save yourself hours by using something more reliable and easier to set up (netflix or Amazon prime will just work). At every turn they get you to enter mobile phone codes - 10 or so codes in a row wasn't uncommon during the tedious days it took to try and get this to work and then when it finally did the shows wouldn't stream over the wifi. They'll ask for a local credit card to prove you can watch the shows, but they fail to mention this before you buy. Not at all worth the effort, even if you get a free trial.

Purchased in August 2020.

Glenn

GlennGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Apple TV . Where does this company get off gouging customers

I have purchased movies from Apple before Apple TV . Only to find that you have to buy a subscription to Apple TV to play them.
The site offers a few movies and links to Netflix and others that you have to pay a subscription to in addition to Apple . The cheap movies that you can rent you can find on you tube for nothing .

It’s a rip off

Purchased in July 2020.

Graham Berryman

Graham BerrymanIllawarra, NSW

Incredibly impossible to set up if you're not an Apple user

Just spent hours trying to set up. If you haven't any Apple products you need to set up an Apple account, an Apple store account with credit card input and endless codes send through to a mobile. Totally not recommended. Going back into box and back to store

Purchased in July 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for A$280.00.

Canberra Daddy

Canberra DaddyKingston 2604, ACT

Apple TV free with iPhone is not the Apple TV box

I have the Apple TV free offer for 12 months as I bought an iPhone. Apple TV is confusing in that you can use Apple TV on your Phone, iPad and MacBook. Or you can buy a small Apple TV box for about $250 to use solely with a TV. I mostly use it on the MacBook and then connect to the TV via a HDMI cable. Confusingly, Apple TV is a mix of free shows and shows for which you need to pay. Unsure if I would continue at the end of 12 months when I would then need to pay $8.95 per month. Downloading just one paid movie per month would push this up to the same price as Netflix.

Purchased in June 2020 at Apple Online store.

MJ Tallis

MJ TallisSydney, NSW

Could not live without

Absolutely love our Apple TV, so easy to function once you get the hang of it and such smooth transitions between phone & tv and tv with any app required. We don’t even need ours connected to free to air because of the availability to all we need via apps. One stop shop!

Purchased in January 2018.

HCMcFinley

HCMcFinleyAdelaide

User-friendly and great updates from the older models

Purchased in October 2019.

Not worth it

When you already own a expensive smart tv. Apple TV not worth it when it provides all the same services the tv provides for free or you already pay for

MortishiaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Not just another PVR

Andy Vee

Andy VeeSydney, NSW

Awesome product

Awesome product. Was so easy to connect and set up. My family loves the ease of watching their videos, photos and streaming content from their phones and iPad onto our tv. Netflix and Stan even works better than running it through our smart tv. Great product!

Purchased in January 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for A$249.00.

eminiko

eminiko

fantastic, very happy with it!

great response time, fantastic 4k display, very happy with it but highly recommend to use a good quality cdmi cable r you will not experience the 4k resolution in full.

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman for A$109.00.

Melissa S.

Melissa S.Perth, WA

Love it

Replaces a lot of products in my house, i use it for everything. Its not a regretful purchase and i would look into buying an upgraded one when i need to

Chris N.

Chris N.

Perfect for Apple-based family!

We originally purchased one for the lounge room and loved the product so much we purchased another one for the bedroom. It is great as my entire family have iPhones, so we all use our phones as the TV remotes as it automatically turns our TVs on and off. We watch all live TV (i.e. ABC Kids, 7, 9 and 10) through the apps but mainly use Netflix and Stan. When we want to share something from our iPhones, iPads or MacBooks we just AirPlay to the TVs.

Purchased in November 2018.

Dan S

Dan SMurray Region, NSW

Get rid of your old 3rd Generation Apple TVs now!

I have just sold two of our old 3rd gen Apple TVs and upgraded to the Generation 4 models, and couldn't be happier. The vast selection of Apps is impressive. I am especially happy to see Plex there too so I can watch my own movie collection rather than what is added to iTunes.
I don't have difficulty with the new remote, but the simplicity of the previous design with the brushed aluminium is missed.
Buying this version now from Apple will also give you 12 months free of Apple TV+ when it launches in November, so get rid of your obsolescent Gen 3 Apple TVs while the second hand demand is still there! I bought an Apple refurbished one and saved $40

Purchased in September 2019 at Apple Online store for A$179.00.

stan2017

stan2017Sydney

Could be a lot better

Pros:
Small, powerful, reliable streaming, it does 4K images.
Voice control makes life a lot easier for example "resume xyz" will start where it left off for series xyz, no need to remember season, episode number, or exactly where you stopped last time when watching a particular episode.
Cons:
Expensive
It's setup to steer you away from free to air to paid alternatives. For example, sometimes when I ask siri to play an ABC or SBS program, it will present me with paid versions of the same thing, or even totally irrelevant paid programs.
It does not allow sound decoding passthrough, so the decoding is whatever Apple TV decides, not necessarily the originally intended optimum sound.

Purchased in May 2019 at Apple Physical store for A$249.00.

Ben

BenHunter Region, NSW

Great for netflix

One day the Apple TV HD might be the revolution the Cupertino company promised it would be. But, for right now, it's a middling streaming video player that has a premium remote and a price tag to match.

Purchased in April 2018 at Officeworks for A$150.00.

HollyB

HollyBSouth East Queensland, QLD

Fantastic! Well worth the money!

The apple TV is unique. It is simple and easy to use. Great for a family at home or helpful for a teacher in the classroom.

The simple design is unlike any other. It is easy because the buttons are quite big and this makes it easy for any age.

Purchased in June 2019 at JB Hifi Home for A$80.00.

Pri

PriSydney, NSW

One of the best media streamers

Purchased in July 2019 at eBay for A$267.00.

Shazza5

Shazza5Mid North Coast

Almost perfect

I love what this little set top box is capable of. I love that it streams efficiently and without lag. I love that I can watch so much more on my TV now. What I do NOT love is this weird little glitch it appears to have bought with it once connected to my TV. Every 20 or so minutes it begins a process of shutting down the TV. IF this wasn’t enough, once you get the TV back on and working it is suddenly MUTE. This is such a ridiculous rigmourole to be sorting out repeatedly almost every time the Apple TV is being used. If it didn’t have this issue I would give it the highest rating, as it is otherwise awesome!

Purchased in June 2019 at Telstra for A$129.00.

Thomas B

Thomas BSydney, NSW

Update life with Updated Apple TV 4K

Apple TV 4K has been updated substantially. After numerous upgrades, the Apple TV 4K remains our top video streamer pick for the house. Apple fans let’s be honest, these are not alway the cheapest products on the market and those who don't mind paying a little extra for its advantages, delivery you a premium experience like Dolby Vision HDR.

Update after update have made this product stronger, Apple TV 4K just keeps getting better. Pay the extra for the Apple TV 4K. If you own a 4K or HDR TV you'll get an immediate benefit, and even if you don't, chances are good that your next TV will be 4K and HDR compatible.

Get out your iPhone, strap on the watch and tune in with Apple TV 4K. It’s brilliant.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bing Lee for A$209.00.