Apple TV

Juzzy

JuzzyQld

What’s the point

I found this streaming platform unbelievable, you pay 80 bucks a year to look at titles to rent...I mean seriously that’s like paying 80 bucks to walk in an old video store!!!
For example it would cost 180 bucks to watch all 8 seasons of Game of Thrones thru Apple TV or just 12 bucks through Binge

It’s so so much cheaper to subscribe to Netflix, Stan, Binge and Disney then you have all the same titles and don’t have to buy or rent them

What a joke

Sam

SamAU

Reliable and works well

Purchased in December 2020 at Officeworks Online store for $251.95.

Cherie

CherieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Waste of money

I downloaded onto our Samsung TV as an app, it looked like lots of great titles were on the apple tv so I was excited to watch everything. It took a while to set up and it was harder than other streaming services to set up. Once logged in, I browsed through the catalogue to find that most movies and TV shows wernt included with the subscription and I had to pay extra! What is the point of subscribing? I'm not even going to wait till the end of the trial to delete it! Waste of time!

Purchased in December 2020.

forshizzle

forshizzleGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

CAME WITH THE PHONE

Purchased in December 2020 at Apple Store Australia.

Penny H.

Penny H.Australian Capital Territory

Apple TV 4k

Don’t buy one, not worth it. Issues on a lot of tvs. We brought new HDMI cable, a converter even though the tv is 4K only 3 years old so brought another tv still doesn’t work. I think Apple has shares in tvs. Starting to think about changing my iPhone to some other brand as sick of Apple maki g everything difficult. Don’t buy apple

Purchased in September 2020 at Harvey Norman for $249.00.

Josh O.

Josh O.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Doesn't work on mac

Even though it was free with a new iPhone purchase it'd be even worse if i'd have to pay for it. Don't bother if you don't have an iPhone or iPad. You'd think Apple would be able to replicate a video streaming service similar to Netflix or Amazon but it's rubbish. Content would probably look good if it wasn't restricted to a tiny screen...Pointless.

Purchased in September 2020.

Jess

JessLondon

Worst experience I've ever had

Worst experience setting this up of any service I've ever encountered. It's put me off ever buying another apple device. Support is shocking. If you haven't begun the tedious process, save yourself hours by using something more reliable and easier to set up (netflix or Amazon prime will just work). At every turn they get you to enter mobile phone codes - 10 or so codes in a row wasn't uncommon during the tedious days it took to try and get this to work and then when it finally did the shows wouldn't stream over the wifi. They'll ask for a local credit card to prove you can watch the shows, but they fail to mention this before you buy. Not at all worth the effort, even if you get a free trial.

Purchased in August 2020.

Glenn

GlennGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Apple TV . Where does this company get off gouging customers

I have purchased movies from Apple before Apple TV . Only to find that you have to buy a subscription to Apple TV to play them.
The site offers a few movies and links to Netflix and others that you have to pay a subscription to in addition to Apple . The cheap movies that you can rent you can find on you tube for nothing .

It’s a rip off

Purchased in July 2020.

Graham Berryman

Graham BerrymanIllawarra, NSW

Incredibly impossible to set up if you're not an Apple user

Just spent hours trying to set up. If you haven't any Apple products you need to set up an Apple account, an Apple store account with credit card input and endless codes send through to a mobile. Totally not recommended. Going back into box and back to store

Purchased in July 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $280.00.

Canberra Daddy

Canberra DaddyKingston 2604, ACT

Apple TV free with iPhone is not the Apple TV box

I have the Apple TV free offer for 12 months as I bought an iPhone. Apple TV is confusing in that you can use Apple TV on your Phone, iPad and MacBook. Or you can buy a small Apple TV box for about $250 to use solely with a TV. I mostly use it on the MacBook and then connect to the TV via a HDMI cable. Confusingly, Apple TV is a mix of free shows and shows for which you need to pay. Unsure if I would continue at the end of 12 months when I would then need to pay $8.95 per month. Downloading just one paid movie per month would push this up to the same price as Netflix.

Purchased in June 2020 at Apple Online store.

MJ Tallis

MJ TallisSydney, NSW

Could not live without

Absolutely love our Apple TV, so easy to function once you get the hang of it and such smooth transitions between phone & tv and tv with any app required. We don’t even need ours connected to free to air because of the availability to all we need via apps. One stop shop!

Purchased in January 2018.

HCMcFinley

HCMcFinleyAdelaide

User-friendly and great updates from the older models

Purchased in October 2019.

Not worth it

When you already own a expensive smart tv. Apple TV not worth it when it provides all the same services the tv provides for free or you already pay for

MortishiaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Not just another PVR

Andy Vee

Andy VeeSydney, NSW

Awesome product

Awesome product. Was so easy to connect and set up. My family loves the ease of watching their videos, photos and streaming content from their phones and iPad onto our tv. Netflix and Stan even works better than running it through our smart tv. Great product!

Purchased in January 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $249.00.

eminiko

eminiko

fantastic, very happy with it!

great response time, fantastic 4k display, very happy with it but highly recommend to use a good quality cdmi cable r you will not experience the 4k resolution in full.

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman for $109.00.

Melissa S.

Melissa S.Perth, WA

Love it

Replaces a lot of products in my house, i use it for everything. Its not a regretful purchase and i would look into buying an upgraded one when i need to

Chris N.

Chris N.

Perfect for Apple-based family!

We originally purchased one for the lounge room and loved the product so much we purchased another one for the bedroom. It is great as my entire family have iPhones, so we all use our phones as the TV remotes as it automatically turns our TVs on and off. We watch all live TV (i.e. ABC Kids, 7, 9 and 10) through the apps but mainly use Netflix and Stan. When we want to share something from our iPhones, iPads or MacBooks we just AirPlay to the TVs.

Purchased in November 2018.

Dan S

Dan SMurray Region, NSW

Get rid of your old 3rd Generation Apple TVs now!

I have just sold two of our old 3rd gen Apple TVs and upgraded to the Generation 4 models, and couldn't be happier. The vast selection of Apps is impressive. I am especially happy to see Plex there too so I can watch my own movie collection rather than what is added to iTunes.
I don't have difficulty with the new remote, but the simplicity of the previous design with the brushed aluminium is missed.
Buying this version now from Apple will also give you 12 months free of Apple TV+ when it launches in November, so get rid of your obsolescent Gen 3 Apple TVs while the second hand demand is still there! I bought an Apple refurbished one and saved $40

Purchased in September 2019 at Apple Online store for $179.00.

stan2017

stan2017Sydney

Could be a lot better

Pros:
Small, powerful, reliable streaming, it does 4K images.
Voice control makes life a lot easier for example "resume xyz" will start where it left off for series xyz, no need to remember season, episode number, or exactly where you stopped last time when watching a particular episode.
Cons:
Expensive
It's setup to steer you away from free to air to paid alternatives. For example, sometimes when I ask siri to play an ABC or SBS program, it will present me with paid versions of the same thing, or even totally irrelevant paid programs.
It does not allow sound decoding passthrough, so the decoding is whatever Apple TV decides, not necessarily the originally intended optimum sound.

Purchased in May 2019 at Apple Physical store for $249.00.

Peter T.

Peter T.asked

TV 4th Generation (2015)

Do 4th and 5th gen have USB access to play home libraries?
Pierre

Black Thumb Downasked

TV

I purchased the Apple 4K TV (23/03/20) specifically to get KAYO.
The Apple 4K TV cost me $249.00 & after I set it up, updated the firmware and got into the app store it lists every other app in the known universe but not KAYO. Why would this be happening?

Mortishia

Hi, Kayo is available but you need to physically download the app. Go to the ‘app’ icon ‘A’ click, then go to apps, click, search Kayo, usually on first line. Click, then follow instructions- Get - sign in with your Apple ID. All should be good then. Hope this helps.

Black Thumb Down

Hi, yes i finally found out what was wrong. When apple tv goes through its auto setup. It chooses Australia for your location, & you enter your address, state etc. But even though apple 4k tv sets everything up for the Aus region, it does not give you Aus content.
Once I worked that out & changed the content setting kayo appeared.
Thanks for your input, i do appreciate it.

Rocky road

Rocky roadasked

TV

do I need to buy a 4k Apple TV for the Apple TV

Compare all 5 Apple TV
CategoryNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media Players
ConnectivityWi-Fi, Ethernet and BluetoothWi-Fi, Ethernet and BluetoothWi-Fi, Ethernet and BluetoothWi-Fi, Ethernet and Bluetooth
ProtocolsAirplayAirplay
Height35mm35mm23mm28mm
Width98mm98mm98mm197mm
USB Ports1
Release dateOct 2015Sept 2013Mar 2007
Replaced byApple TV 5th Generation - 4k (2017)Apple TV 4th Generation (2015)Apple TV 2nd Generation (2011)
Compare all 5 Apple TV