Apple TV 2nd Generation (2011)

Apple TV 2nd Generation (2011)

Liz D

Liz DBrisbane

A great little device, although it’s done it’s time

Apple TV ia great and versatile. Providing lots of options to watch plenty of streamed sports all at the touch of a button. Our device is starting to struggle now however, dropping out at the slightest network glitch. The control with the earlier models being so small seems to often disappear into mystery places!

Date PurchasedFeb 2011
Bob77

Bob77AU

Slow, buggy, restarts frequently, freezes and useless awful remote control.

ted12

ted12brisbane

Mixed thoughts

Networked Media Players

Find out how Apple TV 2nd Generation (2011) compares to other Networked Media Players

tuttifruttimum

tuttifruttimumAU

Has changed our lives

This little gadget has changed our lives. We now watch YouTube and itunes Movies when we like. Turned our lovely Sony Bravia into a smart TV for $100. Now we understand why our local movie rental guy sold up, he saw the future coming in this little device and those like it.

Apple rentals terrible

Apple rentals terribleMelbourne

Terrible for downloading and watching movies

Cisco

CiscoSydney, NSW

Good entertainment device. Love AirPlay

Apple TV is a great device to have for multimedia content. The remove control is easy to use, except when you have to enter text letter by letter to search for YouTube content. The iPhone remote app is good, but doesn't always work with the Apple TV. The best feature is the ability to support AirPlay, transferring images from your iDevice to your TV. Would be nice to be able to record free to air TV to the device though
AirPlay
Typing out words with standard remote, no free to air TV recording.

BBT S.

BBT S.AU

Good until you update

I am a big apple fan but apple tv has ended that, I am on my second unit as the first ATV version 1 updated itself and could not fire back up, so I thought it is getting on so I bought the 2nd generation, that worked fine again until it auto updated and will not find iTunes anymore, so I plugged it directly in to my PC and returned it to factory settings, still no good, then I read all the forums on iTunes and it seems this is common.
The time spent updating, and pulling your hair out all while the family is waiting patiently just to watch a movie on a sat night?.
Apple are loosing their mojo :-(
When it works it's good
Don't let it update or you will be sorry

Mr Green

Mr GreenNSW, 2040

A bit of a let down!

Poor movie selection

Just bought Apple TV. Technology is wonderful. Bur they're really "having a lend" on movies. Tried to rent 2 movies (Black Swan, Avatar) both released in 2009 but not available yet to rent (only to buy @ $25). Bet they are in USA. Also, poor selection of Aussie movies, but should have expected this. Sadly, not a replacement for
Technology
Poor movie selection

Andrew
Andrew

I agree my brother warned me it was a waste of money.

Don't waste your money

The concept is good, I like all the functions and the convienience of having movies at a touch of a button. But the constant loading every 5 minutes throughout the movie is so frustrating that all positives go out the window! I wouldn't bother wasting your money as a DVD is much more enjoyable!

burn1
burn1

Another ISP issue

smithywood

smithywoodqld, 4509

Love it! Never out of movies to watch!

My husband wanted this as I had no idea what it was. Got it home was easy to set up and figure out. We haven't been to a DVD store since. Love not having late fees!
Has a huge selection of movies, if you don't watch the movie straightaway you have up to 28 days to watch it and once you have watched it you can view it many times until time runs out which is 48 hours.
Depending on the type of movie they range in price (pretty much the same as a DVD rental) We run YouTube from our other apple products which go to the tv so we all can watch which is another good thing.
Hope this helps.
In expensive, small, Everything!

Alphaloc

AlphalocCanberra, Australian Capital Territory

Simple addition to the Apple home entertainment setup

Bought this to be able to use airplay from iPad 2 and stream photos from the laptop. Setup is simple though wouldn't show YouTube or vimeo until I did a software update. Wireless let's me take it to any TV in the house. Only real annoyance is entering details using the included remote and the remote messing with the laptop. remote app works with the appletv
small, simple, elegant, easy to use, wireless streaming, airplay
poor input using simple remote

Apple TV

I have just started using the apple TV and have found it to be awesome. As a novice with technology it was easy to connect follwoing the instruction guide. I enjoy the features being airplay, access to my itunes library and streaming media from my iphone and Ipad. It will also stream my pc but havent' figure that out.
Easy to install and get access from my wireless internet. Airplay capabilities. Easy connection with my wirelsss devices - iphone and ipad
Costs of purchasing or renting movies from itunes

Facebook.com/Dj.jaykaos

Facebook.com/Dj.jaykaosNSW, 2127

New apple tv

Great product. Hooks up to my amp. Can stream music and videos from my iTunes. There is a new operating system I am waiting for that will put the laptop to the tv wirelessly. Like streaming the screen. Been watching lots of tv shows and movies. Had to upgrade my Internet allowance.
The movie quality is good and does not need to buffer.
Need to pay for anything with iTunes. Put your movies into iTunes. Will save you paying.

Quality-Check

Quality-CheckGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Deesal
Deesal

shaeledesigns

shaeledesigns

Good

I have had good experiences with this product and love being able to store all my items on one device. It is an experience product but if you use Mac devices that you will love being able to link this in with everything else, computer phone, etc.
This apple TV unit is easy to use, it has great graphics and sound, the HDMI output, connects to any iTunes wirelessly and you are able to watch you tube videos.
The main unit heats up easy and the unit can get quite hot, this happens even when it is in standby mode. The cost of the unit is quite expensive for what it is. It also needs a strong wifi signal to be able to stream.

sandra_c

sandra_cQLD, 4077

DavidCarwood

DavidCarwood

geremf

geremfPerth, WA

Good

Well can't say I haven't used this little puppy when there is nothing on Pay TV, Free Tv or cinema in the week. Would like to see Apple improve their software otherwise they might get over taken by the new comers eg Boxee.
-Don't have to leave the couch to rent or buy movies or music.-Organizes all your media.-Links with itunes on other Platforms.-Great Blockbuster trailers.-Excellent Orientation of Media.
-Won't play on my HDMI projector, not enough juice:(-Downloads can be slow especially when Downloading HD titles.-Software could be enhanced to play more types of media files.

jinpatt

jinpattQLD, 4214

OK

Apple TV is a good reliable products. Good features and functionality but still limited to using Apple products and services. I still think that it is value for money and I'm pretty happy with my Apple TV. Easy to set up and use. However, movies are quite expensive to rent and buy. I don't think the price is reasonable. I am not super impress but not unhappy about it.
Value for money. Excellent product for those with home wi-fi, and iTune. Excellent storage.
Limited to apple products and services. Have to purchase movies or watch movie and listen to music through iTune.