AS-Motor AS 940 Sherpa 4WD

AS-Motor AS 940 Sherpa 4WD

MPN: AS940
See the Best Ride-On Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for AS Motor? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Slashes through overgrown grass and weeds

• Remains stable on steeper slopes

• Robust motor

• Product is used
  • Hill / Slope Performance
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Turning

Linda B.
Linda B.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Love, Love this mower!

I live on very hilly terain and love this mower. If it wasn't for Sherp (affectionally named) I would have had to leave my property years ago. It has enough grunt to pull a trailer loaded with wood up a steep hill and carry a small tank for spraying herbicides. I could go on and on about this fabulous mower but you get my thoughts. Sherpas and German technology rock!

Purchased in March 2016.

AS940 Sherpa

Purchased in July 2020.

Geert
GeertMid North Coast, NSW

German engineering at it's best

Purchased in December 2018.

Steve T.
Steve T.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

AS940 Sherpa

Had the AS940 for a year and covered 50hrs. Have slopes of 26 degrees in parts and this mower deals with it no problem. About to have its 50hr service with no issues to report. Bought the mower from Valley Pumps in East Gippsland who were extremely helpful. Was able to try one on their land before purchasing which convinced me that it was the right product for me

Purchased in October 2019.

AndrewGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

AS Motor Sherpa 940 4WD Is Capable

Borrowed and tested neighbors’ Grillo and Razorback 4WD (AWD), finally decided to purchase AS Motor Sherpa 940 4WD, My property is quite hilly, have been using Greenfield MKII with diff lock in the past two decades, struggling on certain areas... this Sherpa 940 is capable to cut blackberries and small tee trees on the hills, and thick/tough grass in muddy areas behind leaking dams... very satisfied with its outstanding manufacturing quality!

Purchased in November 2020 for $18,000.00.

Russell
RussellSouth East Queensland, QLD

Unbelievable machine

I purchased my Sherpa from Steep Terrain Mowing and Slashing and Glen supplied very good and informative service. He came to my property and gave me a demonstration of the Sherpa AS940 XL and after that demo I was sold on how good the machine really is. Just coming up to 40hrs of operation and cant fault the machine. I've got some pretty steep terrain that hadn't been cut for several years and the Sherpa handled it without any issues at all. Would recommend to anyone wanting a 4WD machine.

Purchased in March 2020.

NigeRichmond-Tweed, NSW

2yrs on Good but with issues - Part 2

Purchased in February 2018 at Chincogan Mowers and Small Engines Mullumbimby for $17,000.00.

Ash F
Ash FWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Incredible machine

We purchased our Sherpa from Glen at Steep Terrain mowing and slashing, First of Glens customer service is the best I've experienced in a long time. Secondly this machine is almost unstoppable From thick Green grass over one meter tall to lantana bushes twice the size of the mower it eats it all with out hesitation. Our property is very very step and the Sherpa continues to surprise us in its ability's which we are pushing to the limit! We have rolled the machine twice on incredibly steep areas both times with out a scratch on us or the robust machine all we had to do was roll it upright fire it up and away it goes again.

Purchased in February 2019.

Wes R
Wes RSouth East Queensland, QLD

Oh what a feeling

My Sherpa AS 940 XL has only done 27 hours but i am amazed at what it will do. I live on a very undulating 40 acre property that has not been slashed in over 2 years and this machine is doing a unbelieveable job, i keep driving it into thicker and thicker growth and wondering what will stop it, have stalled it a couple of times on very large thick clumps of tall grass but that was me just going too fast. I thing it is an awesome machine.
I live at Delaneys Creek QLD and our local Sherpa dealer Glen Stewart Just lives up the road how convenient, i found Glen to be very Honest and Trustworthly

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Find out how AS-Motor AS 940 Sherpa 4WD compares to other Ride-On Mowers

When the going gets tough - call a Sherpa!

Our Sherpa 940 XL has done about 70 hours of work now, in tough conditions. It is a genuine workhorse, which doesn't take a backwards step. All steel construction - no plastic. The Sherpa feels safe and comfortable on our steep terrain (Mt Mee, Qld). We are very happy to recommend the service, reliability and courtesy of local Sherpa dealer Glen Stewart of Delaneys Creek Qld.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
ScottiemcNSW, 2484

What a workhorse!

I have only had my Sherpa for about 12 hours of mowing time at this point but I am so impressed with it's grunt and ability to handle steep terrain. We have a hilly 5 acre property that my greenfield just wasn't up too. I needed something safer that could handle the extreme contours of the property. I looked at grillo's and razorbacks but feel I have definitely made the right decision with this workhorse. It's a little slower than I expected, rated at 6.2 km/h but feels slower...BUT, I certainly feel very safe heading up a steep slope, not a hiccup in power as it grinds its way forward. It also does a pretty good cutting job on the better couch lawn around the house pad. I can highly recommend this for hilly, steep properties.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Andrew R
Andrew RNE TAS

Too Good to be True

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hardyards mowing
Hardyards mowingtewantin

Hardyards Allterrain Mowing.

This mower is the ultimate of mowers goes anywhere never had an issue i mow acerage with it in sunshine coast hinterland. Im a contractor get some difficult uards check my facebook page pics. Fuel usasged is good prompt parts from interstate. Goes into areas that you cant walk inn some cases. The machine carves up saspplings best for small areas upto r4 acres.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
NEdwards
NEdwardsYarra Valley

Safe, reliable and powerful

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Climb Every Mountain

The Sherpa is versatile and resilient and is still behaving like a beast after two years of hard labour on steep terrain. This machine continues to be an indispensable asset in the maintenance of a property with difficult to access areas. Will go places no tractor would dare. Excellent after sale service provided by Reg from Valley Pumps and Irrigation Systems.

Michael S.
Michael S.asked

Anyone have any experience with the 2WD (AS920) version of this?
How does it go on slopes? I see it is a lot faster than the AS940, due to being 2WD, and given our larger block of land (part flat, part 20 degree slope) I'm wondering if the 2WD model might handle the slopes, allowing me to cut everything in a shorter period of time.

If the prices are not too much difference, it’s better to get 940 4WD

Nige

Michael, it probably depends on whether the slopes are all grassed or not. If it's lawn then probably and only when it's dry. You might think you want to go fast to get the job done more quickly but unless your block is smooth with no holes, rocks, tree roots etc then you really can't go that fast anyway otherwise you'll end up just digging the deck into the ground or snagging it on a tree root and potentially bending the deck supports underneath. Our block is hilly with dirt patches, small rocks, tree roots etc and only a 4WD will do and I take it pretty slow.

Sean Sellars
Sean Sellarsasked

Price on model AS940 Sherpa

Mark M.
Mark M.asked

What are they priced at

See all AS-Motor AS 940 Sherpa 4WD questions

Features

• 4-wheel drive offers improved traction and stability on slopes.
  • A low point of gravity makes this riding mower stable when mowing grass on inclines.
  • A cross-blade cutting system is able to cut and shred grass simultaneously, to turn it into mulch.
  • Draws upon impressive 22 horsepower.
  • Low weight compared to competitors offerings in a similar range, at 290kg.
  • Variable adjustable seat with a suspension system.
  • Rear discharge with a mulching function.
  • V-twin motor, with a fuel tank capacity of 15 litres.
  • Contains rear-wheel brakes, and an optional transport trailer and snow plow.

Points of Praise

• This Sherpa ride-on mower was praised as being so effective at getting rid of overgrown grass a metre tall, as well as lantana, other weeds and weed saplings on large rural properties up to 40 acres.
  • This ride-on mower effectively tackled slopes of up to around 40 degrees.** Reviewers loved its ability to power up slopes with no hesitation, and felt safe doing so.
  • Some reviewers reported that even after 40-50 hours of use, they didn’t have any issues to report about their Sherpa malfunctioning or experiencing difficulties with tough terrain.

** Care should always be taken when riding a mower across slopes, as there is always a chance of tilting or rolling over, however small.

CategoryRide-On Mowers
Max Speed6.2 km/hr
Dimensions 1520 x 980 x 1910 mm
Engine / Motor
Engine NameBriggs & Stratton, 44 Professional Series 8, V-Twin
Engine Type4-Stroke and OHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandBriggs & Stratton