Grillo Climber 7 Series

Grillo Climber 7 Series

7.18, 7.13 and 7.16

See the Best Ride-On Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good machine but by no means perfect

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Kirk

Kirk

Not a bad little machine

I have a 10hp 7 series. It came with the house when I bought it. Great on hills. This model could do with more power. But still seems to get the job done. I have been mowing six acres for the last year or so. Still going ok. Four wheel drive would of helped.

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Brendan

BrendanNSW, 2450

Comfortable on Slopes - not the best finish

I use a Grillo (I believe is 7-series) - It is a good mower and performs well on the slopes (I test it out a bit) Diff locker is good to get around steep corners etc. or on slightly wet grass. But I when I do the lawn section with it - it's very inconsistent with it's cut... I have a Toro upright style mower which has a much smoother and nicer cut on lawn - but cannot handle the slopes like this one - so I alternate depending on the job at hand...

Does Most Of The Job But Can Be Disappointed

I had the grillo for 5years now mainly due to iur sloping block. I mow around 4acres. Most disappointing was speed then grass height. The cover over the blades bent so badly just through use on uneven slopes that blades hit it. Now I have also just had the throttle snap off in my hand at 90hours no warning. The chain has fallen off the wheels also.

Safe but not perfect

Works hills well - diff lock great in wet but mower is very difficult to work on and service. Some questionable workmanship our throttle lever snapped off in our hand during use ? ? After 20 hours. At 60 hours the steering arm snapped - it has not worked hard - we have 2 acres with an arcre of it steep but not rough terrain. Would expect a tougher machine for the price.

Carabella

CarabellaAdelaide

7-16 grillo

the 7-16 is a a great robust rideon mower for flat steep terrain but if you have rough terrain the wings are unforgiving and dont follow the countours. if mowing really long grass you need to lift the wings regulary to clear the cuttings. The seat is hard and after a couple of hours its hard on the body so upgrade to a suspension seat if available. Great mower for small rural acerage.the diff lock is a bonus and will get you out. make sure you check the area for stumps, rocks , dirt mounds. the people at shortcut mowers were helpfull
The diff lcok and robust engine
the wings are unforgiving and cuttings build up quickly

Just what I need

I mow almost 2 acres of brush and for 5 years I ran a toro workhorse with a 52 inch contractor cutting deck, but with sloping land in some places at almost 30 deg I never felt too comfortable. The day I rolled it forced me to look at a better/safer way.

The grillo is the safest mower I have ever driven by far. I feel in complete control at all times. I knew when I bought it that it would not leave the grass looking as pretty as the toro did but the safety factor comes first. It still cuts very well, especially the long stuff
Handles 30 degree slopes with ease, never skips a beat. value for money

natural

naturalAU

Not as good as I had expected

Empiricist
Empiricist

Tony Daley

Tony Daleyasked

Climber 7.16

Why will the cutting blades not engage when switch operated - switch illuminates?

Neil

Hi Tony, first up, the deck must be lowered from the travel position and the speed controller must not be in the park position. Assuming these basics are covered, theres a couple of wires going down to the blade clutch. Disconnect them, clean the terminals and try again. If still not working, disconnect the terminal again and using a multi meter, check if power is being sent to the clutch when u engage the switch. If yes, I guess the clutch needs repair. If no, theres a few interlock switches in the system which need to be tested, this is getting a bit complicated to troubleshoot in this forum. Good luck Tony.

Tony Daley

Tony Daleyasked

Grillo 7.16
Why will my cutting blades not engage?
Green light comes on when switch operated but blades will not engage.

Kevinasked

Climber 7.18

I have a 7.18 grillo about two and half years old now. Have to deal with some steep slopes but finding that it does not transfer enough power to the wheels even with diff lock engaged. Do not think it is the belt slipping so concerned that transmission maybe a problem. Does anyone have similar issues or thoughts?

Neil

Hi Kevin, I noticed ours did the same thing a while ago, not a big change but noticeable and I put it down the bigger tyres I had fitted to it. I just had the broken axle replaced and now it does not drive up slopes anywhere as well as it did prior to the repair and it seems to travel a slower too. I am going to talk to the dealer that replaced the axle to see what the cause might be. Will update you, the manual talks about some adjustments on the trans but I want to talk to the dealer about it first. Cheers Neil

Kevin

Thanks Neil. I have taken the mower back to the dealership, they are not too sure what the problem is but suspect something to do with the transmission. I will let you know what they advise.

Andy J
Andy J

Neil and Kevin, i have a chance to buy one but has the same problem of n power to get up slopes, Did you find an answer ? and what did it take to fix
Andrew

Get an answer from our members and Grillo representatives

Grillo Climber 7.18

Horsepower18 hp
Max Speed9 km/hr
Reverse Speed4 km/hr
Dimensions 975 x 950 x 1895 mm
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Engine / Motor