Aucma Ice Cream Maker

Aucma Ice Cream Maker

1.0 from 1 review

See the Best Ice Cream Makers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Save up and buy a real one

I used this El Cheapo machine to dip my toes in to the water of ice cream making.

The appliance is composed of a chiller bowl (which must be left in the freezer overnight in preparation), a lid to with a spout hole to add ingredients while churning, a motor and a mixer paddle which scrapes off the icecream mixure as it begins to freeze on the freezer bowl walls.

Given the price I didn't expect it to be an excellent product, but right from the get-go, it had issues. The first batch we made was a recipe included with the machine and it was still liquid after half an hour churning in the freezer bowl (it was supposed to take 20 minutes).

When the machine behaved, it was satisfactory; I made at least two batches which were issue-free (cherry and rum-cherry-chocolate), but even those had an icy texture which made me want to revert to the creaminess of store-bought ice cream.

On several occasions the weak motor just wasn't strong enough to mix the mixture and would sit stagnant while the mixture froze on the super-chilled walls, compounding the issue. On these occasions, loud clicking and cracking noises came from the machine, which I believe was the motor-to-paddle joint protesting. So we had to remove the ice cream mixture from the bowl and proceed the old fashioned way.

I have seen this machine and its similar model, SU-568 go for $10 to $40 but, knowing what I do now, I wouldn't want it if it was free. The seller gave me a full refund and said I could keep the product. But it went in the bin as soon as our dealings were complete.

I have now bought a second hand Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and will write a review on that after a couple more batches. But so far it easily beats the Aucma as the texture was infinitely better and the icy texture was nowhere to be found; just creamy, delightful, professional Cookies and Cream ice cream. Yay!

Date PurchasedNov 2018