Bankwest Qantas Platinum Mastercard

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
Card TypeMastercard
BenefitsComplimentary Travel Insurance, No Foreign Transaction Fee, Reduced First Year Annual Fee and Sign-Up Bonus Points Offer
Minimum Credit Limit $3,000
Rewards ProgramQantas Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 0.75 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 0.75 points per $1 spent on your first $2500 on eligible purchases per month

• 0.3 points per $1 after the first $2500 spent on eligible purchases per month

There is no cap on earn rate.

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay and Google Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate20.49% p.a.
Annual Fee$80 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
Interest Free Period 44 days
Cash Advance Rate21.99% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus Receive 50,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months of card approval.
Reduced First Year Annual Fee $80.00

Dispute processing is best called as an imaginary solution. Terrible customer services.

I have been using bank west Qantas platinum for years. Each time I got dispute, they are slower than a snail, and they made it so complicated with useless form. In 2018, the form can NOT be filled in on the computer, it would not allow you to write complete details, as it only allows very limited words. Has to be print it (wasting the trees/wasting earth/wasting time) then re-scan it. Worse is the first dispute was so SLOW, I think would be 80 years old when it resolved (I was 38 years old), so I ended up solving the issues but making multiple calls with the seller. I won, and I got my money back. So, Bankwest has never solved any scam-dispute, I was told that I will have to wait 8 weeks to get my recent dispute answers.
I do not know why Bankwest customer service is so SLOW (what are you doing really?). It only takes minutes to call anywhere in world. If Bankwest customer service really do their job without having to waste time telling customer that it NEEDS 8 weeks, they would have solved it quicker in less than 2 weeks.
God knows what would happen with my current dispute. I now wonder if it was worth paying $160 a year when the credit card used overseas will only let you down losing money. THERE IS SIMPLY NO PROTECTION OR HELP from this bank. It is all lies, and sucking users dry.
I am going to look for a better and more reliable credit card provider asap. It is so annoying and the only reason I am using this credit card is to benefit from the Qantas point and no overseas fees. But, I just got scammed, a clearly approved refund never turned up, and Bankwest customer services will need to sit their bottom minimal 8 weeks before they really make the call.
I hope an honest credit card provider to be born soon, I will run, and leave Bankwest credit card in seconds.
I am giving them a chance to solve my dispute 8 weeks. Should they not, you will not have me as your customer ever again.

Btw, if your customer services work better and quicker, they will look prettier, and healthier. Clearly your customer services like to sit down long time to wait for the set timelines of disputes. It has been years and you still need 8 weeks to process a simple and honest dispute. SO, Bankwest never improve at all.

Rates and Fees
Rewards
Online Experience
Application Process
Card Start DateApril 2017
Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Great All-Round Card for Overseas Travellers

The card has an annual fee of $160, it earns half a Qantas Frequent Flyer point per dollar spent on it, and has no foreign exchange fees, and has very good complimentary Travel Insurance through Allianz.

So, if one goes overseas on vacation and spends $5333 on car hire, hotels and other things, the saving in foreign exchange fees typically charged by other credit cards will pay for the annual fee of the card.

Also, if one goes on significant overseas trips and one spends $500 on the card for the trip, one gets complimentary Travel Insurance from Allianz, which will at least pay for the annual fee of the card, but more likley pay for the annual fee of the card many times over on long trips, relative to buying a policy direct from Allianz.

And if one spends $32,000 on the card on eligible purchases, one will get 16,000 Qantas points, which is equivalent to the annual fee of the card. Though one has to be a member of Qantas Frequent Flyers to get the points, and membership costs $89.50 to join. Or one can go and join Qantas cash, and get free membership to Qantas Frequent Flyers. The latter method is obviously the way to go.

I like Allianz travel insurance, as they paid us out twice last year without any problem on another card through which we had complimentary Travel Insurance, with the same type policy. Also, for an additional premium, Allianz cover people with various pre-existing medical conditions that other complimentary credit card travel insurers reject.

So for people who do a significant bit of overseas vacationing in any year, this card should really be given some consideration. It covers all bases.
Regards.

Bankwest scores own goal!

By reducing the credit period from 55 days to 44 and by reducing Qantas points from .75 per dollar to .5 on this card. Sadly coming back to the field as the Woolworths Qantas card did when it doubled the cost of the card and halved the point value last year.

Excellent credit card.

This is an excellent credit card from the best Bank in Australia. It has a very good 0.75 Qantas frequent flyer points per dollar spent with no cap, it has free travel insurance and it has no foreign transaction fees, which is great for both online shopping and shopping overseas when traveling.

But the best thing about this Bankwest card is their Australian call centres with very helpful staff. I highly recommend this card to anyone needing a good Qantas credit card.