Bernina Bernette Chicago 7

Bernina Bernette Chicago 7

See the Best Sewing Machines & Overlockers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Bernina? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Thick Fabric Performance

I purchased this machine in early 2017 and have had constant tension problems

Purchased in February 2017.

Lyn Inglish
Lyn Inglish

So far so good

Purchased in January 2020.

Noise Level

Not Happy

Despite a few lessons from vendor. I still had constant problems with the tension both upper and lower, bobbin kept popping out. Vendor kept telling me I was threading it wrong . The vendor also threaded it twice and it still played up. Then told me it was the wrong thread it was embroidery thread sold to me when I purchased the machine . I ended up trading it in for a cheaper machine but a different brand.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Nothing but issues. Majority of the stitches don’t work with any stabiliser, tensions, feet etc. con

Nothing but issues with this machine I was gifted for my 21st. I was so excited to upgrade from my $100 kids Elna. Missing screws, foot falls off, broken thread sensors, can’t see more than 4 stitches. Embroidery has NEVER worked. So disappointing and upsetting, back to my $100 elna. Stitches shown in the manual didn’t come with the actual machine. Misleading advertising.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Find out how Bernina Bernette Chicago 7 compares to other Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Kerry E
Kerry EAU

Great embroidery machine Bernina Chicago 7

I purchased my machine during the year but did not use it until later in the year I initially had some trouble with the cotton jamming but a rep from Bernina visited me in my home and sorted out the problem very quickly and it was the brand of cotton and the machine not being properly thread for the right tension. Cannot complain about the service I have had as its been excellent and for the price range I don't think you could get a better entry embroidery machine

Date PurchasedJuly 2017

only straight stitch works

Date PurchasedMar 2017

When it works it's great.

Date PurchasedSept 2016

The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
Fridge and Dishwasher Awards for 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
fridge-and-dishwasher-awards-for-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
Cathy
CathyHermanus

Yes and no!

I've tried to be positive about my Chicago 7, but now I'm fed up with it! I've done a lot of sewing and embroidery, of which most has been fine and enjoyable, but there have been continual tension issues on the embroidery. I've taken it back to the supplier at least 7 or 8 times in the year since I bought it. Initially the bobbin wasn't seated properly and the buttonhole function wasn't working. Three visits to the shop have fixed those, but the tension problems persist. Since the last visit, all my designs are puckering the material so badly that I've had to throw them away. Even the sample piece that the mechanic did himself is puckered, but he was satisfied with it! I'm really disappointed.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Great!

I have read these comments before buying the machine. I must say it was little bit difficult to learn proper usage of the machine. Every problem that people had with tension and other embroidery problems, it is all about not putting the correct needle size for the material or it is the tread not sitting well in the machine. I have this machine for about six month and I am very satisfied with both embroidery and sewing considering it is low end home machine.

Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Worst sewing machine I've owned with a lack of after sales support from Bernina

I am disappointed. I have been sewing for 30 years and I detest this machine. Tension issues, irregular stitches, threader is useless, needle does not stop at the top and and and... Oh and did I mention rude Bernina staff. Okey, just one woman, but still. Bernina blames the needle (I only use schmetz); thread (Gutermann) and fabric (mostly quilters cotton) interchangeably. Even contacted Bernina International to help. Then tried to sell it after owning it for a month and I can not even give it away! My advice: A Don't buy from Bernina, B if you feel you must, don't buy this model.

Mini Me
Mini Me

The drama continues. I sent it into the repair shop for the 2nd time, 6 weeks later I get it back. Now the bobbin winder does not stop the motor when the bobbin is full, the machine is even more broken than when I sent it in. "Well done" bernina

Sandra RG
Sandra RGCaloundra, Queensland

Bernette Chicago 7

crafty cam
crafty camPITTSBURGH

Love this little machine and all it can do.

found this machine to be a great purchase. i have done quilting, piecing, garment mending, craft sewing and embroidery work . although embroideary area is small, it does a lot mor than one would think and using free hooping techniques, it does hand towels and cloths great! i love it!

Another burnt victim
Another burnt victim

Great sewer, not so great embroider

a little painful to use in embroidery function. Bernina are less than helpful with getting back to you, sales person has not been able to help. From a general sewing purpose all fine no issues, however the embroidery section and manual is very limited with not a lot of information and being a newer machine the salespeople are also unable to assist. if you are looking at more of an embroidery machine then don't get this machine, spend the little extra and get a 100% embroider. The hoop size is also not fantastic only allowing small designs really in the largest hoop

Zimkid
ZimkidNorth Queensland, QLD

Disappointing

I have had this machine for awhile now had nothing but trouble. The first machine that arrived the had bits missing and had scrathes all over. I returned it and it was replaced with a new machine got home to us it and the buttonhole would not work, back to the shop again and sensor was replaced . Now it has been back to the agent for tension issues. Twice in 6 weeks the tension has gone and screen has dulled.Now dealing with Bernina.

Date PurchasedJune 2014