Janome My Excel 3018 (MW18)

Janome My Excel 3018 (MW18)

Bought a used one from an opshop. Love the thing!

I have no idea how old this Janome is, nor do I know if the previous owner loved or abused it, but I have had it for almost 7 years now. It was stored in a homemade outdoor shed for the past year and it was with trepidation that I took it out today to sew. There were mouldy spots on the machine, most of which I removed with a rag. Then....she sewed beautifully!! I might just have it serviced now.

Purchased in January 2013 at A second hand shop for $45.00.

Safety
Thick Fabric Performance
Sewing Experience Level Advanced

So far so excellent

I do alterations, on average 10 per week plus sew my own clothes and make dolls and bears. My last machine went for 43 years so it is a tad early for me to say if this machine is a stayer, it has another 42.5 years to go. So far it has done all that i have asked of it. Sews layers of denim just as easily as chiffon so that is good. Some drawbacks, do not like stitching for the buttonholes, the screw on plate is difficult to get to and i can foresee that the dial for changing stitches will not last. Plus side, not computerised.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

23 years old and hasn't missed a beat!!!

Sorry the drop down menu does allow me to set a purchase date of 1994!

This machine is AMAZING! I love it and nothing has gone wrong with it. Well a couple of little things, but nothing that a service (which includes a good clean) can't fix. So if your machine is skipping a stitch, or you have to push too hard to get it to go in reverse, or the needle doesn't re-centre after doing a zig zag, it just needs a service. I've been doing a lot of sewing (making quilts) over the past 2 years, and I've very sadly grown out of it. I need a bigger machine to get my quilts through, so I am going to purchase a memory craft (Janome).... TERRIFIED!!!! I hope it proves to be as good as my MyExcel.

Thank you Janome!

(oh, yes it cost $599 in 1994, about the same price 23 year later!!!)

Date PurchasedJan 1997

Best sewing machine ever made.

I bought my sewing machine about 14yrs ago. I have never had a problem with it. it gets serviced every 2 years. It has been through house moves, changing rooms, and it still never goes wrong. My mothers machine as soon as you move it the tension is out, its done this from the day she bought it. This is a perfect sewing machine that can be for a beginner to an experienced sewer.

Date PurchasedApr 2002

15 years going strong!

I have had this machine for over 15 years... I have seen everything from muslin to vinyl. It struggled a little with the vinyl, but with the right size needle it ran fine. It was my first machine, and I found it user friendly and easy to learn on. It is very straight forward to maintain and resolve typical problems. Admittedly I have only put it in for a service twice and it us due for a third, but it has ran fine for five years before needing a service and it hasn't needed parts replaced in all the time I have owned it. Heavier fabrics or thickly folded layers will need the stitches hand turned to avoid breaking the needle. Recently I started teaching a group of novices to see, and the donated machines are cheap or very old. They make me appreciate my Janome so much more. The compartments work to keep everything neat, the dip to hold the thread means that the spool doesn't jump off the machine or get tangled around the spool holder. It should come with a brush and two screwdrivers that are perfect to keep the machine clean.

Date PurchasedMay 2000

Great little machine

I use this machine for my smaller sewing jobs. Great for taking up jeans as it has a free arm.
Very reliable and serviced regularly I would recommend this machine to my students. It is a great machine With 18 built in stitches and does buttonholes beautifully. Another wonderful Janome product.

Date PurchasedSep 2013

So far, so good

I will admit to being nervous about using a Janome, but so far it's very good. I'd like to update in 12 months as I have only had this machine for a week. The organisation of it is very well thought out, with the storage of tools etc on board the machine. It's nice to close it up and have no dust getting in. As it has a metal frame, it is solid and doesn't jump around like some other machines I've heard about. I've sewn denim and it was ok. My Bernina 1005 is still stronger machine for that kind of thing, and faster. I'm not used to sewing at the slower rate (I might need an industrial machine!) however, this was all I could afford.

I purchased it as a package deal with the overlocker 8002DX. Check out my review on that!

Lovely sturdy machine

I bought this for myself in April 2015 and used it for making dog coats. I broke 4 Singer machines before buying this and it hasn't missed a beat, even though im rough on it and break needles regularly. It hasn't lost it's tension settings, even though I be seen multiple layers of canvas and wadding. I'm now doing quilting on it and making handbags.

Perfect! Never misses a beat

I have my machine for 18 years ... And it is amazing and I have never ever had a problem. Highly recommended

i luv it!

I had this machine for 3 months now, bought this machine after reading all the reviews here ( thank you guys) I luv this machine it runs very smooth and perfect. easy to learn, very understandable manual. great machine.i even cover stitch using twin needle, but the problem with twin needle is as there is only one spool holder the threads get tangled, I think I have to buy twin spool holder for that problem.
liked everything about it
nothing wrong

I love it!!

I've had my machine for 21 years and it's never been one bit of trouble. Its going for its first service tomorrow as i noticed it was full of dust when i removed the foot plate to remove a piece of snagged thread I'm not worried, she'll be fine! I'd recommend a New Home Janome to anyone!
It is so easy to use and very reliable

Good to know that quality still exists

I have had my machine for about a month now and i'm impressed with it's features and it's build quality, it's easy to use and understand. it's also very strong and not all plastic construction like some brands. i would recommend the brand to anyone wanting a quality machine at the right price
inexpensive,excellent quality and well designed

I've had my Janome My Excel 18W for 20 years and it has been perfect up until today when the motor has gone and it needs replacing. Am considering replacing with the same model as it was such a good work horse.

Solid, reliable sewing beast!!

Lovely all metal body which sews like a dream. Very user friendly for advanced and beginnner sewers. I would buy this machine over and over.
Very reliable, Metal body, easy to do button holes. Love this machine.
Sometimes thread snaps (oh well)

Can anyone tell me if this machine will do buttonholes on a placket or waistband where one side or one end may be thicker than the other, due to a seam nearby? I am having trouble with my entry level Singer with this and want to upgrade. Any suggestions I would really appreciate?
if the fabric where the seam is is quiet thick then use a jeans needle and this machine should have no problem doing a buttonhole - just be aware that the buttonhole stitch on this machine is not a close one but rather open. sometimes you need to do a button hole by hand.

I have a MyExcel 18W Janome sewing machine about 6 yrs old , it has a lift up flat top sewing guide inside lid a strip of stitches printed on face of machine, corresponding numbers under stitch images ...to the right on same top panel are slides to choose stitch length and width.....I do not have an instruction booklet and the one online has dials to choose stitch changes. However, on mine, I CANNOT work out how to change the stitches, particularly from straight stitch to zig zag stitch, could you PLEASE help?
I just got one of these great old machines today and was shown how to do this by the seller, you simply just turn the smaller knob thing on the right side of the machine and that should select stitch type ;-)simply just turn the smaller knob on the right side of the machine and that should Scroll though your stitch selection. Happy sewing ;)

Is the janome HD3000 the same product as Janome MW3018?
Yes. Janome has confirmed this.

My Excel 3018 (MW18)