Janome My Excel 3018 (MW18)

Janome My Excel 3018 (MW18)

4.5

• Safety
  • Thick Fabric Performance
Vickj

VickjMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

This machine lives up to its reviews

I researched before buying, the Brother from Spotlight was useless. I did my homework & for $350 it does everything. In Australia if you buy feom from Janome website you get so many accessories. It can handle various cottons, eg sparkly, & top stitching thread which the Brother could do.

Purchased in April 2019 at Sue's Cafe & Takeaway for $350.00.

tammy.ellis.735

tammy.ellis.735South East Queensland, QLD

Best thing I ever bought

Bought this machine over 20 years ago still runs like a dream. I love the storage for all the different feet and the quick stitch guide under to top cover. I have stitched through 12 layer if denim when sewing hems handles it well. She is a beast of a machine no fabric she can't handle with the right needle and tensions. It is a heavy machine but that you can just put down to the quality of it.

Purchased at Myer for $359.00.

mynewhome35Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good little machine, value for money

Bought this machine a few years back, it goes well, got it as a second machine to take to sewing classes as it's lightweight and love the needle threader and assorted stitches. Problem is the service cost half the cost of the machine, then I needed a new foot pedal as I dropped and broke mine, and an authorised Janome dealer is asking $99 for a new foot pedal, that's a lot compared to the cost of the machine. So all I can say is it's a good little machine, as long as it doesn't need parts or service.

Purchased in August 2015.

Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Find out how Janome My Excel 3018 (MW18) compares to other Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Steve W.

Steve W.South East Queensland, QLD

Don't bother they're crap

After my wife owning one of these for 25+ years.
We took it to see about getting it serviced, the bloke said it could be expensive due to it's age. Based on this she purchase a new one.
What a pile of crap it is. Very clangy and gathers under the stitch and bobbin will only half fill. (The old one still runs so smooth)
The shop didn't want to know us after getting our money, he says it's a user issue.
She now goes to a sewing group, there are a number of very experienced sewers there and all say no it's the machine, Take it back.
She has now said she will never purchase another Janome.

Purchased in December 2018 at Allcraft sewing Tweed Heads.

Bought a used one from an opshop. Love the thing!

I have no idea how old this Janome is, nor do I know if the previous owner loved or abused it, but I have had it for almost 7 years now. It was stored in a homemade outdoor shed for the past year and it was with trepidation that I took it out today to sew. There were mouldy spots on the machine, most of which I removed with a rag. Then....she sewed beautifully!! I might just have it serviced now.

Purchased in January 2013 at A second hand shop for $45.00.

maur

maur

So far so excellent

I do alterations, on average 10 per week plus sew my own clothes and make dolls and bears. My last machine went for 43 years so it is a tad early for me to say if this machine is a stayer, it has another 42.5 years to go. So far it has done all that i have asked of it. Sews layers of denim just as easily as chiffon so that is good. Some drawbacks, do not like stitching for the buttonholes, the screw on plate is difficult to get to and i can foresee that the dial for changing stitches will not last. Plus side, not computerised.

Date PurchasedSept 2018
Missy Moo

Missy MooPerth, WA

23 years old and hasn't missed a beat!!!

Date PurchasedJan 1997
Grams2

Grams2Central, SA

Best sewing machine ever made.

I bought my sewing machine about 14yrs ago. I have never had a problem with it. it gets serviced every 2 years. It has been through house moves, changing rooms, and it still never goes wrong. My mothers machine as soon as you move it the tension is out, its done this from the day she bought it. This is a perfect sewing machine that can be for a beginner to an experienced sewer.

Date PurchasedApr 2002

15 years going strong!

Date PurchasedMay 2000

mirapj

mirapjHunter Region, NSW

Great little machine

I use this machine for my smaller sewing jobs. Great for taking up jeans as it has a free arm.
Very reliable and serviced regularly I would recommend this machine to my students. It is a great machine With 18 built in stitches and does buttonholes beautifully. Another wonderful Janome product.

Date PurchasedSept 2013
Georgiana

GeorgianaVIC, 3461

So far, so good

I will admit to being nervous about using a Janome, but so far it's very good. I'd like to update in 12 months as I have only had this machine for a week. The organisation of it is very well thought out, with the storage of tools etc on board the machine. It's nice to close it up and have no dust getting in. As it has a metal frame, it is solid and doesn't jump around like some other machines I've heard about. I've sewn denim and it was ok. My Bernina 1005 is still stronger machine for that kind of thing, and faster. I'm not used to sewing at the slower rate (I might need an industrial machine!) however, this was all I could afford.

I purchased it as a package deal with the overlocker 8002DX. Check out my review on that!

Karen

KarenDarling Downs, QLD

Lovely sturdy machine

I bought this for myself in April 2015 and used it for making dog coats. I broke 4 Singer machines before buying this and it hasn't missed a beat, even though im rough on it and break needles regularly. It hasn't lost it's tension settings, even though I be seen multiple layers of canvas and wadding. I'm now doing quilting on it and making handbags.

Perfect! Never misses a beat

I have my machine for 18 years ... And it is amazing and I have never ever had a problem. Highly recommended

fathima

fathimaSydney, NSW

i luv it!

I had this machine for 3 months now, bought this machine after reading all the reviews here ( thank you guys) I luv this machine it runs very smooth and perfect. easy to learn, very understandable manual. great machine.i even cover stitch using twin needle, but the problem with twin needle is as there is only one spool holder the threads get tangled, I think I have to buy twin spool holder for that problem.
liked everything about it
nothing wrong

I love it!!

I've had my machine for 21 years and it's never been one bit of trouble. Its going for its first service tomorrow as i noticed it was full of dust when i removed the foot plate to remove a piece of snagged thread I'm not worried, she'll be fine! I'd recommend a New Home Janome to anyone!
It is so easy to use and very reliable

Brendan7

Brendan7North West, QLD

Good to know that quality still exists

I have had my machine for about a month now and i'm impressed with it's features and it's build quality, it's easy to use and understand. it's also very strong and not all plastic construction like some brands. i would recommend the brand to anyone wanting a quality machine at the right price
inexpensive,excellent quality and well designed

Geno
Geno

I've had my Janome My Excel 18W for 20 years and it has been perfect up until today when the motor has gone and it needs replacing. Am considering replacing with the same model as it was such a good work horse.

Solid, reliable sewing beast!!

Lovely all metal body which sews like a dream. Very user friendly for advanced and beginnner sewers. I would buy this machine over and over.
Very reliable, Metal body, easy to do button holes. Love this machine.
Sometimes thread snaps (oh well)

Jennieasked

I have 2 Janome sewing machines, one was my Mothers - it is a Janome My Excel 18W bought about 30 plus years ago, mine is a My Excel 4018 bought around the same time. Which one is the better that I should keep? both are in perfect working order, how much would I get for the other one I am not keeping second hand?

mynewhome35

If they are 30 years old you wont get much for either, check the going price on ebay etc. The My Excel 18W is still a fairly recent model, and fairly robust, I'd be keeping that one of the two of them, I have one that i take to sewing class, it's a great little machine.

margaret ferguson

margaret fergusonasked

Is the janome model 4618 the older version of the m w 3018

Nanaasked

I just bought this machine this week, I'm new to sewing. I'm having 2 issues with the machine:
1. When I backstitch towards the end of my sewing, the fabric bunches up, however it doesn't have this problem when I backstitch at the start of my sewing.
2. I couldn't turn the fabric to sew gradual curves despite trying to guide the fabric with my fingers. (they're not tight curves).

I've had a cheaper model prior to this and didn't have the above both issues.

At least 2 other people owning this machine are having the same issue #1. Please help, what could the reason be due to? I'm so baffled..

mynewhome35

Check the tension, it's usually the problem.
If the fabric is held so tightly that the feed dog is unable to move the fabric, decrease the amount of pressure on the pressure foot, that's the black dial under the 'lid'
This machine is a great little workhorse.

Nana

Thank you, I'll try this, do you think this could be the possible reason behind the fabric bunching during backstitching too?
Yes, I love love my new machine and bought it largely from reading so many positive reviews here. Compared to my prior machine, this one feels like driving a BMW, so sturdy ☺️

CategorySewing Machines & Overlockers