BlackVue DR650GW / DR650S

Paid premium but it failed to deliver

Purchased one about three years ago, and the sound recording failed after three weeks. I had the unit replaced as I refused to wait three weeks for it to be repaired. After 18 months of usage, the sound recording failed again. We got better value from a unit in my wife's car that was one third the price. Because of the cost and poor reliability, I can only give it two stars.

Hi Jarkko, we're very sorry to hear of your experience and are equally disappointed to receive a 2 star review. Have you contacted our support team for assistance? We may be able to repair this unit in house at no cost to you, but we need you to reach out to us, feel free to call us on 08 6267 5167. Thanks, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.Thank you for your reply and offer. I didn't bother to contact your support team as my previous dealing with Autobarn the retailer, was extremely frustrating, and wrongly assumed they were the contact for assistance. I will contact your support team to see if it can be repaired.Hi Jarkko, no worries, look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.

Only Dash cam to Have

Needed to be hard wired but well worth the effort. So impressed will keep it for whatever car i drive even though costly to have hardwired. Havent needed to update software after 2 years of wear. Costly to buy but so much better than cheaper dash cams. Before buying a dashcam its worthwhile doing the research. This product is worth the money.....

Thanks very much for your review :) If you ever considering upgrading your system, then please get in touch with us so we can help you out. Thanks again, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty LtdIts working fine thanks

Fantastic After Sales Service

Bought 2 Dash Cams for our cars and had them "hard wired" by an Auto Electrician, the only way to go! Both were very easy to set up once fitted, I did this on our computer (don't have a "so-called" smart phone) with ease, right global location and the settings we wanted. One camera worked perfectly on play-back but the other had a "Script Error" message that blocked the viewing screen.We contacted the main supplier's support team for help. Within less than 24 hours we received a reply and a site on how to fix it. Not being totally computer savvy, I rang the support number and the guy guided me through the update procedure which worked great. The "new" update has much clearer display and viewing and is just like you are driving the vehicle for real! The service we have received has been excellent

Hi Tassie Devil, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We hope you enjoy the security of your new dash cams. Please feel free to get in touch should you have any other questions. Best Regards BlackVue Australia 08 6267 5167

Rubbish-didn’t even last 2 years.

Considering this camera wasn’t cheap it is very disappointing that it lasted 1 year and 10 months! And the salt in the wounds is that 6 months after I bought it the warranty went from 1 year to two years. My local electronics shop now refuses to stock them because of the failure rate and how painful BlackVue Australia are to deal with. Will never buy another BlackVue.

Hi Mish, we have certain special case warranty programs in place which means you may still be covered by us at BlackVue Australia. Yes you are correct we do offer 2 years warranty on BlackVue products now, we do this through BlackVue Australia and are one of the very few dash cam brands to offer this. If the units can be repaired there are usually only minor repair costs to have the unit fixed up as well, rather than having to go and purchase a whole new dash cam system. Are you interested in getting support from BlackVue Australia, and if so can you please respond to us here or by private message? We hope we have a chance to turn this 1 star experience into a 5 star for you. :) Thank you BlackVue Australia Team.Hi Mish, just following up and checking if you have had a chance to read our reply and private messages? Thank you,Hi-would be interested to see if it can be fixed. How do I go about this? I would rather have a working BlackVue than to have to rip all the hardwired power cable setup out of my car and get another brand.

Very poor app

The app is not user friendly. Compared to much less expensive cameras this is not a good one. Camera quality is good, but if you need info from the app ie how to change passwords etc, forget about it. Mine is sitting in a draw, and I went and bought another cheaper one. much easier to use. Overall very disappointed in this camera.

Hi Luko, Sorry to hear you have been having troubles with your BlackVue Dash Camera. As the leading dash camera brand in Australia we take pride in ensuring all our customers are able to use the camera successfully. To change the password on the WiFi is a simple process, you are welcome to contact our full time support team to guide you through this. I have also included the instructions on the link below if you prefer. https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/en-us/articles/222403147-How-to-change-reset-the-dashcam-s-Wi-Fi-SSID-password- Alternatively your retailer should be able to facilitate if your are struggling to use the camera. Feel free to get in touch if you have any other questions. Best Regards, James BlackVue Australia 08 6267 5167Hi Luko, Just touching base to see if you have had chance to reset your password? We are here full time to help with any questions you might have. Best Regards, BlackVue Australia 08 6267 5167

Avoid

I wouldn’t recommend this camera at all, it’s been nothing but trouble. The WiFi connection is hopeless, it only works if you sit in the car right next to the unit. So it’s pointless. It takes several attempts to login once you do get the WiFi connection, the unit keeps saying “wrong password” even though it is the right password that has been saved on my phone from the previous log in. Contacted BlackVue and was told to download the new firmware, which is a complicated process with little instruction. That changed nothing. Issue remains. The camera also interferes with my cars DAB radio making it pretty much impossible to listen to the radio at all because it keeps dropping out. I have put noise suppression choke ferrite core clips on the cables which didn’t help either. To watch a video back takes ages to download when watching on your phone, but does work well if you can be bothered removing the card to plug into your computer. I also got the power pack for constant recording. The motion detection is a load of rubbish, I have the settings on the lowest possible detection and it just constantly records. So in the garage at night with zero movement the camera just keeps making new files with nothing happening. It should only start recording and create a new file once some movement is detected. So if I did have an accident I’d have about a day to get the vision before it would be recorded over with files containing nothing. I would expect these issues from a cheap $100 camera but not from a expensive “top of the line” camera like this. Would definitely NOT recommend.

Hi Brendon, Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your BlackVue dash cam. All the issues you have raised sound like they can be resolved: 1. The WiFi signal is designed to be short range to conserve power and maximize run times. If you wish to connect to the camera away whilst you're away from the car, this can be done through the BlackVue Cloud typically by connecting the camera to a mobile LTE dongle that can be kept in the car. If you have troubles connecting to the camera whilst in close proximity try resetting the "network settings" on your phone, this generally resolves connection issues however outside signals can also interfere such as multiple networks in the area. 2. DAB Radio interference can happen if the coax cable or if the front or rear camera is too close the radio antenna. Whilst shielding is built in to the cable, the cable size also has to be taken in to account for easy installation. Longer cables are available from any BlackVue retailer if the cable needs to re run to avoid the interference. 3. The motion detection feature is triggered by any movement within either scope of view. This also includes immobilizer lights which can cause the symptoms you describe. Please feel free to get in touch with our support team so we can facilitate with your camera set up and ensure your camera is performing as desired. Look forward to hearing from you. James BlackVue Australia 08 6267 5167 Mon-Fri 09.00-17.00 AWSTHi Brendon, Just touching base to see if you have had any joy resolving the problems you were experiencing? Our support team haven't heard from you, feel free to get in touch if you would like any help. Best Regards, JamesHey James, unfortunately I haven’t. Understand your point about WiFi range. Even when I’m connected to the wifi the camera keeps saying “WiFi hotspot unavailable”. I’ll try the phone settings reset. Does the motion detection have the same view/range as the camera view? The 2 lights that flash on the front doors aren’t in view and are angled out the door, so they shouldn’t be setting it off. I also bought the battery pack that apparently turns the camera off before it runs the battery flat, this wasn’t the case. My new cars battery was completely dead. So this expensive project keeps getting worse.s The support team are only open when I’m at work.

An excellent quality basic dash cam

I have found that the quality of the video is 5-star during the day and 4-star at night - even the audio is good quality. It is quick and simple to set up, and is 12 Volt powered so there are not transformers to mount and / or possibly fail. It is a pretty basic unit - no screen / WiFi / bluetooth / GPS (optional extra) but the low price reflects this.

One thing I really love about it is the tiny size - it hides up behind my rear vision mirror and is almost invisible from inside unless you know where to look. Naturally, because of its small size, it does not have a screen - you have to remove the SD card to view the footage. This is a price I was prepared to pay for discreetness (although I believe the newer versions have WiFi to overcome this).

As others have mentioned, I sometimes get the 'Format SD Card' warning for what seems like no reason - if it happens, I unplug the power for that trip. On the next trip I will plug the power back in and the problem has generally gone away.

This dash cam is not all things to all people, but it certainly ticks boxes for a basic, front facing, excellent quality dash cam. If all you need is excellent quality video without all of the bells and whistles, at a good price, I would highly recommend it.

Hi Andrew, Thanks for taking the time to leave your review, we're really glad to hear how happy you are. I will point out that he "Check SD Card" message normally means it has detected a bad sector on the card and should be formatted, but make sure to save any important footage first. Thanks again, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.

Avoid this unit.

The dash cam worked very well for a while then stopped working without any warning. Changing the SD card, rebooting, downloading and installing firmware are all complicated and time consuming. Theres a constant “invalid settings” warning. I’ll be looking to get my money back and get a more reliable dash cam.

Hi Beachman, sorry to hear your camera has stopped working. Have you been able to contact the BlackVue Australia support team to see if we can help? We can facilitate with the correct firmware installation if required. I'm not sure what the"invalid settings" warning is, as the camera does not have this announcement. However from your comments it seems like the incorrect firmware has been applied to the camera, this will produce one of the following announcements: "firmware version is invalid" "firmware information is different" "dash cam model error" Keeping the firmware up to date ensures the camera will perform as specified and will be able to communicate with your smart phone as and when the phone is upgraded. Please feel free to get in touch if you would like us to help. Best Regards, BlackVue Australia 08 6267 5167

Expensive Popular Camera and Pretty Reliable

I bought this about 12 months ago when I picked up my new car got it installed a week later after picking up the car, the camera was all setup and functioning a few months later upgraded the SD card to the black box 128gb card. All working for about 8 months then the battery seem to be an issue because it was not holding the settings would of have to reset the camera once a month due to time and date was incorrect. I went back to the dealer to get it assessed been advised it just needed a firmware update. The camera was up to date prior, didn’t believe it and got in contact with Auto black box and they had for it replaced with a new one. I would of given it a lower rating but auto blackbox restored my faith in reliability of blackvue brand. I was at first upset as I bought the latest dash cam and a month later the newer edition came out and couldn’t return it.

Hi Vincent, thank you for taking the time to review your camera and overall experience with our company. I'm sorry to hear you initially had issues however it's great to know our team was able to resolve your issue and restore your faith in our brand and our company. As for the new models, believe it not we only received about a weeks notice that it was being released as well, we were equally surprised. Thanks again and please do not hesitate to get in contact if you have any questions. Regards, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.Just wanted to touch base the camera is now have been replaced 4 times already and the guys say it was being returned as a good gesture of will as they said i only get 1 year warranty. but i thought the consumer law gives me 2 years. i still occasionally get the check SD card error and when i unplug the cam and plug it back in 10-15 mins it works again!! i really wish i can retract my post and change this to a 1 star as what service is this and i clearly thing the model i got is a dud!!!Hi Vincent, sorry to hear of the issues you have been having, but I have reviewed the emails between yourself and our support team, and to be fair the service you are receiving is far from being described as a dud. If you are having further issues, then please get in touch with us so we can resolve them for you. As for the consumer 2 year warranty you mentioned, this is not the case, but we are still happy to offer any support, no matter the issue or time frame. Furthermore, if your retailer is not willing to offer you support, then please let us know so we can address this with them directly, we always encourage our retailers to offer the best after sales support to our customers. Regards, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.

ALL THE SEARCHES SHOW THAT THE REAR CAMERA IS TERRIBLE

I have a fleet of cars, and one Blackvue 650 2 ch, nothing but issues from day on, cable to rear renewed, rear camera stopped no power now, multiple issues with the upgrades, and cloud etc,
I think the rear camera is better than the front on video, but it never works, so thats in the bin.
No more Blackvue for me.

Hi annoyed, We're sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your DR650-2CH, we certainly can understand your frustration. I hope you've had a chance to email us at support@blackvue.com.au so that we can give you the right assistance and provide you with the customer service you require. Unfortunately with all electronic products there is a chance of failure. The front camera should be providing better picture than the rear, it is possible your front camera has a sensor fault. Nevertheless, please get in contact with our support team and we'd like to be able to help you out as best as we can. Thank you. Regards, Caleb BlackVue Australia

Not worth the money

Purchased this unit 18 months ago. Had it fitted by an auto electrician complete with the power magic pro. This unit worked well for the first 6 months but then came daily issues, ranging from, loss of audio, no recordings, turning on and off at random times. Seriously every couple of weeks something would go wrong. I contacted blackvue support and with there assistance via email over a 6 month period, it was diagnosed as having a broken NAND memory??
Anyhow since it was outside the warranty period they were not prepared to fix it at there cost.
Not happy with the product, will be removing and throwing in the bin over the weekend.
Save your money.

Hi Blue, Thank you for the review and your honesty. I'm not sure if you have been in contact with us, BlackVue Australia, but we definitely would have been able to help regarding your issues. In situations like this we like to provide you with 5 star customer service, as it is a strong foundation of BlackVue and our principles. I hope you can contact us on support@blackvue.com.au and speak with our support team, who should be able to assist you. Please let us know if we can assist further. Regards, Caleb BlackVue Australia

Customer Service from Autoblackbox WA (Aust Supplier)

In a previous review in regards to the BlackVue cameras, we had problems with reliability and problems with SD cards.
Tom from Auto BlackBox contacted me personally to discuss the problems.
After sending items back I was kept informed. I would note the DR650GW dual camera, 64gb card, tinted lens were the items sent.
Although the DR650GW was just over 2 years old the expectation from me is that I should get more than 2 years usage. The rear camera lens ended up being replaced, 64gb card (Blackvue) was also replaced (less than 12 months old which was a previous replacement) and the tinted lens cover which had started crazing was also replaced.
In a previous post, I also indicated cards should last more than 12 months due to the cost. Auto BlackBox also supplied a spare 32gb Blackvue card at no cost so thanks for that.
I would say the customer service was excellent from Tom and also Chaim.
As it stands we now disconnect all cameras at night or when the cars aren't being used when parked at home to help with the SD cards lasting longer.
We also carry a spare SD card in our cars (Driving School Cars) so if we have a "card issue" (card saying please check SD card) we can simply swap the card over to maintain the cameras operating whilst on driving lessons.
After using these cameras for a few years overall they work quite well but you do need to monitor your SD cards. By that, I mean regularly view the videos on a computer to ensure they are recording properly and the time zones don't change and there is no disruption to continuous recording. Broken recordings can mean you may need a new card. (Card formatting and checking firmware should be checked first)
Due to having dual cameras, the cards can rewrite quite quickly (when set at higher resolution) so a larger capacity card should be used especially if you leave your car in public car park. (Magic Pro required for operation when engine not running or parked for long period)
It's a shame they don't have a pivot so the camera can be turned to the sides when needed rather than fixed straight ahead or behind and maybe a "time-lapse" recording for parking as some other brands do.
At least it's good to see that the customer service is great and resolved our issues.
Well done to Autoblackboz in WA.
Geoff
Penrith Driving School

Hi Geoff, Thanks for taking the time to update your review and your recent experience with our company. While somethings are out of our control, we certainly pride ourselves in the way we offer customer support and I'm very glad to hear hat Tom and the team were able to resolve your issues. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any further questions or require further support. Best Regards, BlackVue Australia

Good, but not cheap

This is not actually what I wanted. I wanted one with a screen because I have a Bull motor body on the back and it would be good to be able to see what is directly behind me as I am driving.
Ultimately the rear camera was the clincher for getting this unit over any other, it was the only one in Australia at the time with an all weather rear camera. I also opted for the BlackVue SD card, they are expensive but I watched a Youtube reviewer who had issues with a non BlackVue SD card so I figured I would forego that pain and get one straight from the start. The stupid pricing on the SD card is what prompted me to give 4 stars, not 5.
There were a couple of issues in the first month or so, that ended up being caused by the SD card failing.
Claiming warranty was totaly painless though. Black box in Perth were a pleasure to deal with.
The front camera is unobtrusive and it has performed well since a firmware update in March.
I do like that it will record while parked too.

Hi Sibron, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad that you're were happy with your new dash cam and your after sales experience was up to standard. We understand that high end SD cards are more expensive than their generic counter parts. This is due to the specific standards recommended by the manufacturer to ensure the most reliable footage is captured in a stable format. Although Generic SD cards may work for the short term they typically cycle through their write-cycles very quickly rendering the card and therefore the camera useless. To ensure your camera works to its optimal performance we recommend MLC High Endurance SD cards. If you have any other questions regarding your dash cam, feel free to get in touch with our support team. Best Regards, BlackVue Australia

Not happy

I purchased the 650GW 2ch some time ago. I was fine for about 13 months then the SD card problem started. I tried various SD cards including the one from Blackvue. I kept getting the "Please check the SD card" message. I'd re format the card once a week and kept getting the error message. I disconnected the rear camera and the problem stopped. I payed for a 2ch dash cam but I've ended up with a 1 channel cam. Never again will i buy a Blackvue dash cam.

Hi Micheal, Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with you dash camera system. Have you tried contacting our support team to get the issue resolved? We can't work out from your review if you have contacted us for support, tried a new BlackVue SD card or the 13 month old original? Unfortunately SD cards are a consumable item and have a finite number of write cycles. As recommended in the instructions BlackVue only recommend the use of genuine BlackVue MLC Endurance SD cards as not all SD cards are compatible - in any case we would like the opportunity to try and resolve the issue you have been having and investigate why the retailer has not offered to help you. Please feel free to get in touch with our support team to find a solution, as a premium dash cam brand we like to offer premium after sales service. We look forward to hearing from you. Best Regards, BlackVue Australia 08 9267 5167Hi Micheal, just touching base to see if you have had a chance to contact our support team so we can help you out? If not, please reach out to us so we can help. We look forward to hearing from you. Best Regards, BlackVue Australia 08 9267 5167

How Service should be

I am the owner of two BlackVue dashcams. Had an intermittent issue and cannot recommend the Australian distributor of these cameras highly enough. This is what SERVICE should be like! Both in quality of service, as well as going way beyond the proverbial mile to resolve the problem, but also in terms of response (next day delivery to Gold Coast from Perth!!!). Unheard of these days. The assistance given even beyond the warranty period and the friendly help deserves more than the 5 stars that I can give them. Especially as the issue was NOT the camera, but my own due to the proximity of the rear view mirror bracket! Much appreciated for all your help and friendly service, and thank you especially to Chaim of the support team at AutoBlackBox.com

motion sensor warnings are flooding in post firmware upgrade

Hi,

Today I upgraded the firmware of my dashcam.

Post the upgrade, the sensor warnings are flooding in despite the fact that I have put the impact sensor to 20. I have tried multiple numbers ranging from 20 to 100 and not seen a change. Surely I can't set it to too low so wonder what the ideal number.

Has anyone seen this issue?

regards,
JB

Can’t trust this camera, I purchased it to safe guard any claims against me in an accident. It has f

How many words does it take to let you know that I feel very dissatisfied with the purchase of this unreliable dash cam, I thought I was buying the best but maybe a cheap one would have served better. It is obviously a bad unit as you have discontinued it that’s the best thing for it.

Hi Eric, Sorry to read that your experience with BlackVue has not been a positive one, we certainly would like the opportunity to inspect your camera to find out what the cause of the issue is. As for the model being discontinued, this was to make way for the newer models, just like most tech companies do with their products, it wouldn't make sense to sell two flagship models at the same time,however the DR650S is still available and fully supported :) Look forward to hearing back from you: support@blackvue.com.au Thank you, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.Hi Tom, firstly this review is for the DR650GW/2CH not the S. The camera is at Bkbox and has a fault that requires it to be returned to the factory, I have been made an offer of sorts but does not address the problems over the past 18months. The camera went into fault with a card after 3months card replaced then again approx 5months later, again 4months later. At this point I upgraded to a 128 card supplied by black box refunding cost of burnt 16 card this card burnt after about 4months. The retailer said it was beyond them and suggested I go to black box direct which I did they replaced the card which burnt up again now they say it’s a unit fault. When I purchased the camera I thought I was buying the best most reliable camera, it looks good picture quality is great.... but.....it turned out to be the opposite, I should have been given the opportunity to have my money back or a replacement free of charge before the warranty ran out. I need a camera that works as an incident can occur in seconds......yes I have a camera......but it doesn’t work......can you Tom tell me that the replacement S refurbished model offered will work and I can feel safe in case of an accident or whatever. I really would have preferred to be giving a glowing report on the camera but it really has been a very bad purchase and experience. Regards EricHi Eric, apologies for the confusion, I noticed the review subheading was titled DR650S-2CH. I have spoken with the RMA team and they have agreed to replace your current GW with an S series, at no charge of course. Hopefully this will resolve all the issues you have been having and will restore your faith in BlackVue once again - and perhaps at some stage you will feel comfortable to re-evaluate your 1 start review :) Thanks again Eric, Tom. Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.

Perfect

Good resolution and clear. Do not have overheating problem and connection are good. Wide angle. However, need to purchase it together with power magic so that things will be working very well.

Will strongly recommend this car camera to anyone who is looking for car camera, anywhere in the world

Best dash cam and best customer care

I upgraded from the 650w to the 650S 2CH.
The cameras are fantastic. Prior to upgrade, the service and actual customer care from
Auto Blackbox was exceptional.
I strongly recommend anyone experiencing technical issues to contact them for solutions and guidance first. They know the product and will have the best option for you. They truely care about their customers. I can’t recommend them enough.

A little story about the first difference i noticed in the upgraded cameras.

I had an evening meeting to attend and I arrived early. I turned the ignition off and sat in my car going through emails for about 15 minutes. I went to the meeting and when it’s finished i get back into my car and turn the ignition on, the camera turns on as usual then i hear “an impact was detected in parking mode”

I drive home and start walking around my car checking for damage. I see none.
I jump in the car and look at the footage recorded whilst i was in the meeting. Nothing.
I check the event on the camera and there I see a woman walking past the front of my car carrying a hand bag. I think, she must have hit my car with her bag. I get out and check the front of my car again but can’t see any damage. I go back inside my car and check the footage again. I notice this woman is walking towards the same building i was in. Who is she? I take a closer look and it suddenly dawns on me... it’s me.
Because i turned the ignition off and sat in my the camera went into park mode.closing my door after this registered as an impact.
Love this camera!

Hi Lidia, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Its great that you are using the parking mode feature to its full potential. Should you need any assistance in the future please get in touch with us at Auto BlackBox, one of the staff will be happy to help. Best Regards, James Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd

Perfect tools

I have this due camera for more than 2 years, and it's still perfect. I have installed 64gb as card in it and I have no issues at all.
Highly recommended. Rear and front camera. It's has nice options and I can use it with clouds as well.
All good
Thanks.

Hi Adel, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Really glad to hear how happy you are with it :) Thank you, Auto BlackBox Pty Ltd.