BMW K1200GT

BMW K1200GT

DonSydney

ROAD RUNNER...

I recently purchased my K 1200 GT... It is a big motorbike with a big heart... Very comfortable, plenty of space for touring away... Rides beautiful, shaft drive is a bit of the new (louder) thing for me (compared to my previous Japanese HONDA VFR800). But, CRUISE CONTROL is a god given... Set it and "relax" your wrist... Great Cruising. Maintenance and parts are a bit on the pricey side, but nothing comes free these days... Maintain regular servicing intervals and Reliability is known, I traced the mechanic that was servicing for the previous owner, and these machines easily go over 100K kilometres, 130K plus... Yes Cruise Control is a God Given, brings the heaven on earth...

Date PurchasedApr 2017
    Bundy

BundySouth East Queensland, QLD

Typical of BMW

Mark L

Mark LBrisbane

Been my Partner for 5 Years

I bought my K1200GT 2nd hand with 63000km on the clock. It now has 126000km - all of them touring. If it wasn't any good, I would have changed it in 6 months. The only modification is Suburban Engineering bar risers as I was leaning into the bars a bit too much for my middle age and an Autocomm system with UHF. This seems to be a common extra for people my height 5'9" ish. The bike is riden hard, and shod with Metzelers or Michelins and has never given me a heart start moment. A large but very nimble bikecomfortabe from sunup to almost sundown.
    Will continue to own BMW K bikes and leave the Mean Streak for the straight roads and around town running.

Touring Bikes

Find out how BMW K1200GT compares to other Touring Bikes

Good

Overall this is a first class touring bike - a little large for everyday commuting but with an unsurpassed level of comfort and style.

I've put 2500 kilometres on one with mixed city/country riding and love it.
    Comfort, reliability. Excellent performance and handling and brakes are v good (especially with ABS) Good weather protection
    Expensive - exhaust & Cd player eats into pannier space

mattrulzheapz

mattrulzheapz

Bad

fairly good but i dont advise in getting one.
    Nice fast and their is a fair bit of room compared to other motorcycles.
    bad things about it would have to be that the paint jobs that come custom made are absolutely pathetic.

Edgar Vieraasked

Would it be wise to purchase a 2003 GT model with 50k miles on it for everyday commute? What issues need to be addressed, in terms of maintenance? Are the Passenger pegs low enough for the pillion? Thanks

Don

I love my 2008, especially because it has the factory fitted cruise control. However For a daily commute i would probably look for something lighter, and my highest preference would be to have definitely the cruise control (proper one).
    it is quite heavy and bulky To my liking. Maintenance wise, check if the clutch makes funny or too hard clank noise. It may need repair and it may be quite costly.
    Pegs in my experience are not an issue, the bike is well designed, however be aware that (i believe) the seat is relatively wide and you don’t want the pegs too low...
    Other than that they are german made, and i would be more looking into the “boxers”. they were used To copers bikes for a reason...

Edgar Viera

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, Don. It’s just that my wife is having issues with her right knee Every time she rides as a pillion with me. I currently have 2011 Suzuki GSX 1250 FA (Bandit in the rest of the world) that use every day for work. I absolutely love my bike but I love more when she accompanies me. In the past, I’ve had good experience with the BMW R1100RT and thought acquiring one, but, I don’t like having to manhandle it in everyday stop and go traffic in Miami. I thought the K1200 would be easier. I’m looking to replace my bike and not have two since I don’t have a garage or extra space to keep it. Ithought the k1200 of doing that double duty of daily driver and weekend bike. Thanks in advance and all the best in this year for you and your family. Regards.

Get an answer from our members and BMW representatives