Yamaha XVZ13CT Royal Star Convertible

Yamaha XVZ13CT Royal Star Convertible

See the Best Touring Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Yamaha has converted me

When looking to replace my Kawasaki VN1500 Nomad I looked long and hard at all types of big cruisers (didn't consider Harley as they are too overpriced for me).

I narrowed it down to the Honda VTX 1800, Suzuki C109 and Kawasaki VN 2000.

All big powerful cruisers but not quite right. I stumbled in my research across the XVZ 1300. The smaller capacity turned me off until I discovered it was a V4. That really got me interested.

Fast forward I did my research and opted for a low km one owner CT version in pearl white.

The motor is superb. Mine has slip on BUB exhausts and sounds amazing. The V4 really rumbles like a V8. Sounds much better than a V twin.

Comfort is excellent, performance is exceptional and economy/range is good when not pushed.

Remember this is a big and heavy bike but for my 6'4 115 kilo frame is perfect.

I find it is easy to handle at low speeds and fast in straights. Remember this is a long distance tourer and not a sports bike. It's not a fan of the twisties.

Yamaha build quality is outstanding - period!

Before you consider a Harley Road King, Kawasaki Voyager and/or Nomad, Goldwing, Suzuki C109 strongly consider the XVZ new or used.
Excellent build, comfort and performance. V4 is music to the ears. Real road presence and often draws a crowd when parked.
Can be thirsty if pushed. Is a very big bike and may intimidate some riders.

I thought I would follow up on this review. I still have the bike and have ridden an additional 11000 kms since my review. I have had normal services and have replaced the rear tire. The bike is still going strong with no problems or faults thus far. With low Kms I expect trouble free riding for many more kms. Cheers.Further update, the bike has now been sold and I have kept my other bike .... a Harley Softail .... see my other review.Why did you sell it ? I run a VN800 classic and love the bike. But would like a bigger bike.... not too sure about the increase of MPG tho.......

A great long distance cruiser.

Have had my Convertible since 2008. It was purchased at the Ulysses AGM in Townsville, Far Nth Queensland, to replace a Kawasaki Nomad 1500. Rode 4000 km home to Victoria and loved it. Have travelled to West Australia and back, and a few other long distance interstate trips. Fuel consumption is great when not flogged. Handling is pleasant, but sharp twisties can be testing. Towing a camper trailer affects the fuel consumption (25%-30) but the bike handles the trailer with no problems. Engine sounds great (like an old s/v V8) and has heaps of power if you want to open the throttle. It is a bit heavy at slow speeds and cumbersome when moving it around in the shed.
But I love it!!!

Ideal bike for the open road, great getaway machine. Head turning looks and plenty of grunt to lead the pack.
Great bike for the country roads, great for distance touring and the Sunday cafe runs,good in the city traffic.
Heavy at slow speeds (parking etc) can be a handful on tight bends at speed

Im thinking of buying a used 2006 xvz1300 tf royal star venture with 45000 kms, do u think this is wise, Im not sure if im about to buy something is going to die on me very soon????
Hi Providing the bike has a service history then 45000 KMS is fine. A friend of mine had one with 90 000 kms and ran like a clock. These are V4 engines are strong & lazy, they tend not to work hard. Providing maintenance like oil, cooling system flush, valve adjustments etc have been done. If there are no records etc then walk away. Do your homework online like forums etc. Remember it's a buyers market at the moment, so take your time and don't rush. I have a habit of being a 'dog on heat' when it comes to bikes and cars but have now learnt to wait for the right bike/car to come along.Much appreciated I thankyou for wise advice cheers mate. Advice taken I need to slow down and not rush

I've just bought 96 Yamaha royal star 1300 cc. My question is how many kilometers would I get on 18 liters of fuel?
Hi I was averaging about 270 - 280 kms before I'd have to refill if that helps. Heavy bike, big V4 but depends on how you ride i.e. fast .... Hope that helps ....