BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

See the Best Enduro Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Fred

FredMelbourne

Best bike I have ever owned!

I purchased a 2017 R1200GS Rallye Low in June 2017 (delivered August 2017) from Southbank Motorcycles, as an upgrade to the R1200R. I was familiar with the motor, but wanted more wind protection and different accessories, as my riding has gone more towards touring. I don't go off road, but the GS is a very capable touring bike and so much lighter than a RT.
The bike is now accessorised, has done 11,000km in just under a year and has not missed a beat.
Despite all the horror stories out there, it is a great bike and I would purchase it again.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Lou

LouTasmania

A perfect bike made better than before.

This is my 3rd BMW GS motorcycle I purchased new. I travelled to Melbourne to purchase it and paid cash. The dealer offered and instant $2,000 off the retail price. I travelled to Ballarat, & Leeton before returning to the dealer for it's first service. No cost at all!! On the Spirit to get home & the bike has remained completely problem free. It loves dirt roads as I do. It's a bit heavy to take in the trees and over steep terrain but for the cruising and back road riding I do, it's perfect for me. 2 up, great. I love my new BMW and could not fault it at all.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Morgan

Morgan

Amazing Versitility and a Dam Good Bike!

Date PurchasedApr 2017
gas

gas

Class leader - maybe not Off-Road!

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Daz

Daz

325,000 k's and still strong

Date PurchasedJun 2008

pb848

pb848

The only bike to have

5 years on and still going like cut snake!

Andy1969

Andy1969

Versatile all-rounder

I am 6'6" tall, so this bike is great for me!

I love the flexibility, being able to tour bitumen and dirt roads. I've even ridden in through rough bush track on dual-purpose tyres.

You can load up a heap of gear and do some big distances. Others may criticise the weight, but with smaller bikes you can't carry as much, and it won't be as comfortable. Horses for courses - this is a bike to ride around Australia on.

The twin cam motor is a vast improvement over the 2009 model (much to the annoyance of a mate who has a 2009 GSA). Lively motor and fantastic sounding exhaust.
magic engine and exhaust note!
accessory prices

FipsyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

• Selected Review

Go anywhere - Almost!

Gus14
Gus14

Really good review and helpful. Thanks.

ian crocker
ian crocker

I agree with everything you wrote,i recently rode around oz a lot of off rode on a gsa, its a fantastic bike..

OK

B.M.W won,t admit there could be anything wrong with there bikes or there computer/technicians . Has anyone had similiar problems
good on the road and forest tracks,but nothing to heavy
2009 model Had problems with the engine labouring when under load,e.g your in 3rd and open the throttle going up a hill the engine labours and is pinking . B.M.W say its o.k !

frankD

frankDAU

Bad

Electrical system (EWS) immobilisation activates requiring dealer contact. Risk of bike not starting anytime, anywhere is a constant concern and limits the freedom this bike is built for.
Everything mentioned in all other positive reviews
Electrical system not reliable.

TC55
TC55

The best bike ever built
Good because you can carry stuff like a truck.
Good for trips
Good on petrol

engine pinging under load especially with petrol 95 from BP or CALTEX. I tried with 98 octane from mobil and is way better

Your right there what you say about the pinging under load using a lower octain , I have a 2009 GS/A , and always try to run it on the highest octane as they run so much better , and get better fuel economy .

Ride safe .

Mick Malone

Mick Maloneasked

How many km out tank of fuel

Battleaxeasked

Hi Guys I currently own a R1200RT. It is a awesome ride on a highway. ... but i stay in town now and the bike is really like a bus. Im planning to tour Australia for 6 months in January. I am thinking to switch over to a GS1200. But will it tow a trailer as good as my trusty RT. Is the ride also comfy like a RT. Has anyone rode both and can tell me what they think. Cheers

Older_Rider

Depending on the model of course, it is basically the same engine so....if you want to tow a trailer, nothing much will change except the setup.

Yes, I have owned both and they they largely do what they are designed to do. The RT is a great mile muncher as long as it is bitumen predominately.

I had a GSA and rode it across Russia and Europe and found it to be absolutely ideal in everything except mud. It carries the world easily and is pretty happy on dirt tracks, tight terrain and autobahns.

In hindsight, the GSA just gave me more options but it was a bit harder for my wife to get onto.

Go with the GSA for trekking around AUS!

Fipsy

I haven't ridden the RT before, but I'd say you're basically running the same machine between your legs, so little difference in towing is likely. The bottom line is if you plan to go off-road or not (i.e. more than compact dry dirt roads). I'm 6"2, and use a screen extender, along with an AirHawk seat for longer touring, and I'm comfy all day. Having said that, I mostly ride my GSA off-road (probably in places a 1200 has no right to be!).
Off-road option? Definitely the GS/A
Sealed/easy dirt option? Either

Keep in mind, the GSA will chew through rear knobby tires pretty quick(about 4-6K kms, depending on riding style/surfaces), so if you're only allowing for 'occasional' off-road, then stick with an 80-20 tyre for the range (Heidenau Scouts are worth a look too). Given you'll be towing, I expect you'll have a reasonable budget for rear tyres anyway.

Perhaps figure you're itinerary/destinations first, then decide what bike you'll need. Otherwise, just go straight for the GS/A and that way you'll have more options. Having done a lot of outback travel myself, I'd definitely go the GSA...........absolutely!

Battleaxe

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the valuable comments. I know the motor is the same........ i was actually referring to the weight and menouvering of the bike itself . But i get the picture it is a great bike. I would definitely take the GSA for a test ride. Will let you know what I think. Cheers

André

Andréasked

planning a trip in Simpson désert with a 1200gsa, have soft sand experience with motorcycle half this size but never with a 1200! how this truck respond to soft sand dunes? do y ou need to reduce tyre pressure ?

Fipsy

If you are planning to do the French line Rd, you'll be cresting hundreds of soft chewed up sand dunes. I've seen legends like Miles Davis and Darryl Beattie struggle with this big bike on that sort of stuff - and that's without luggage! Honestly, I think it would be an extremely difficult challenge, especially in 35degree heat, trying to ride it though that kind of stuff. If you had a backup vehicle, (to carry your luggage), and at least one other person ready to lift you out of the softer sand where you've dug in, then go for it!! Go to my YouTube site (search for 'gonescratchin') - the last video uploaded shows me dug in to the rear hub on the beach, and that's on sand much firmer than you'll be dealing with. (In case the link works, go here - http://youtu.be/cRe8xzLb5T8). I don't drop my tyre pressures below about 23psi, to protect the rims of such a heavy bike.

Older_Rider

Hi Andre, go with a lighter bike is the short answer. The 1200GSA is a handful to keep picking up. On the bright side you could become really good at lifting the bike up or just take a lot of friends to help.
I am wrestling with the same concern on a trip across the desert next year!

Older_Rider

Andre, almost forgot, yes you will need to drop the pressure to about 20lbs so take a pump!

Get an answer from our members and BMW representatives

CategoryEnduro Bikes