Bosch HydroPower

Bosch HydroPower

10H, 13H and 16H

Worst hot water system ever

Unit is a couple years old, consistently won’t light. Have to then wait for stupid lock out or have cold shower. Can’t wait to throw it in the tip and get something that works

Purchased in September 2016.

Hi Billy, thanks for sharing your experience with us. We're disappointed to hear that you've been having issues with your unit. Please be advised to check for any flow restrictors as we recommend using taps with a flow rate of 7.5L/min and shower heads with a flow rate of 9L/min. Another possible cause for inconsistent ignition could be a gas supply issue. For further assistance with troubleshooting, please don't hesitate to contact our team at 1300 30 70 37 (toll-free) any time from 7:30am to 6pm (AEST).

Water temperature fluctuates wildly, too hot one minute, not heating water the next.

In March last year (2018) we had a failure in the heating coil in our Bosch 10P instant hot water service (after 20years of faithful service). I rang Origin Energy's replacement service (first mistake) who sent there plumber out to replace the original unit with a Bosch Hydroflo 16H instant hot water service.
We found that the hot and cold water flow couldn't be adjusted to give a comfortable shower, as our original unit had done. The mixed water temperature was either too hot or stone cold. In the warm weather when cold water inlet temperatures are up it's impossible to get a comfortable shower. A year later we are still experiencing problems. The original plumbers have been out several times and they even have had the Bosch gas fitters out to adjust the machine. At one stage they tried to tell me the flow was too low while using a flow-cup too small for the shower head. I measured the flow rate through the shower head into a 9Ltr bucket that filled in 45sec (that's 12litre/minute). Talk about spin.

Purchased in March 2018.

Noise Level
Household Size 3 person(s)
Smells of GasNo
Functionality
Temperature Consistency
Heating Speed
Hi Peter, thanks for taking the time to write a review for this unit. We are so sorry to hear about your issues with your replacement unit. The HydroPower and Pilot models are completely different units with different minimum flow rates, which does affect how they perform and will explain the change in your experience with your hot water delivery. Please be advised that as your unit is still within warranty, we can book a service call for you and work to provide comfortable hot water to you. As we cannot get your details from ProductReview's platform, please get in touch with us at 1300 30 70 37. Our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday to assist you.

Terrible, terrible, terrible

Purchased this unit in august 2018 as a replacement for our old bosch unit. We were advised by the installer that this was the one to get. We had the installation techs out four times in the first few days because it would cease to work. Despite my requests for a different unit it was inferred that the problem was user error !!!! SIx months later the unit takes ages to heat ,goes boiling hot then cold and has to be restarted several times just to get a lukewarm shower. This product has a major design fault and is clearly not fit for sale. Will be replacing as soon as finances allow. Avoid this terrible product.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Hi Len, thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please be advised to check for any flow restrictors as we recommend using taps with a flow rate of 7.5L/min and shower heads with a flow rate of 9L/min. As your unit is still within warranty, we can organise a service call for you. As we are unable to retrieve your details through ProductReview's site, we recommend you contact our team at 1300 30 70 37 any time from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday and we'll be able to arrange this for you.

Trouble from the beginning.

Unrealibile ignition of both pilot and main burner. Works today but not tomorrow or even now but not in 1 hour. Very sensitive to water pressure. Inserted inline water filter which helped in blocking the filter in the unit. Fortunately we are not entirely reliant on this heater. Reading the other reviews would incline me to replace it rather than get it serviced.

Date PurchasedMar 2000
Hi Sammy, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Please be advised to check for any flow restrictors as we recommend using taps with a flow rate of 7.5L/min and shower heads with a flow rate of 9L/min. Another possible cause could be a gas supply issue. If you'd like to discuss further, our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) to assist with troubleshooting and any further questions you may have. Our toll-free number is 1300 30 70 37.

Water waster, hot then cold

We recently moved into a rental home and cannot believe the performance of the hot water system. Although the unit is directly below the shower it may take up to 4 attempts and many litres of water for the very hot water to flow. The minute the very hot water comes through any attempt to adjust causes the shower to become cold.

The Bosch unit 16H needs to be avoided.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Hi Vicki, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We typically recommend having your unit serviced every two years by a licensed plumber, to ensure correct operation. If you'd like to be put in touch with one of our service agents or have further queries, the home owner can contact us at our toll-free number 1300 30 70 37 any time from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday.

Worst decision ever!

Had to replace my old unit which didn't even last 10 years, stupidly settled on this model. Worst decision ever!! We've nicknamed the unit Katy Perry because it's hot then it's cold. This shower either inflicts 3rd degree burns or induces hypothermia, along the way it wastes a tonne of water. How can a gas hot water system run cold when only the hot water tap is on. Will replace as soon as I can afford to.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi there, we are so sorry to hear about your experience with this unit. Please be advised that if your unit is was purchased in October last year, we will be able to arrange a service call for you as your unit would still be within warranty. Please contact our helpful team any time from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday at 1300 30 70 37 as we cannot access your contact details through ProductReview.This shouldn't be a matter of warranty, it's not a wear and tear issue, it's a shoddy design issue. It is my submission you have a poorly design, substandard product which you have NO right to sell. Imagine if all of the unhappy customers got together, all with similar complaints owing to the defective design, and lodged a complaint with the FWC or ACCC......? You owe it to your customers to rectify the issue, no matter whether it's still in warranty or not.

shocking, unreliable, waste's heaps of water

replaced old bosch that was not too bad but only lasted 10 years, new unit has been a nightmare, was told by their own techs, (no one can fix it ! that's just how they are ) I'm sick of waiting 10 minutes for it to settle down at 4.00 am every day ! will have to bite the bullet and get another brand that will do what they say it will do , will NOT buy anything that's made in China again. NO quality control !

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi Charlie, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Please be advised that if your unit is within warranty, we will be able to arrange a service call for you. Our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday at 1300 30 70 37.

Very unreliable water heater like most modern bosch products.

Main problems are the diaphragm and the hydro generator unit. The diaphragm will need regular replacement. Probably every 3 years For those who OFTEN have no hot water suspect diaphragm has a VERY small hole in it. If no hot water suspect the hydro generator unit. They are both easy to test and replace. Sure if both need replacement and you need a gas engineer to install bite the bullet and install a new not bosch unit. If repaired and setup correctly you will get constant temp hot water every time. I don't think most engineers have a clue about these heaters.

Date PurchasedJan 2010

Useless

Purchased the 10h to replace the old unit which serviced the property for well over 10 years..... this was my first mistake to believe the replacement unit would be just as reliable WRONG. Hot water only works for 20mins per day then nothing until the next day..... called the plumber who advised a faulty part was the problem and since the unit was still under warranty it was best to call Bosch.... that's when the fun really began their "authorised/trained" plumber advied there was not enough gas pressure to the unit and it was not covered by warranty and the $220 fee was payable but it was not in their work scope to fix the unit..
Bosch customer service had no idea the status of my warranty claim....... now still waiting for a resolution after weeks of no hot water.....
how can a unit work perfectly fine for 23 months and suddenly have developed external issues that prevent the unit from functioning as intended..... is it too much to ask for a unit to function as intended within the warranty period.... will never buy a Bosch again...... as for the authorised plumber apart from changing the reason for malfunction several times the lastest reason is the unit is not sufficient for the house size not sure about others but my house did not grow in the past 23 months......
Bosch honour your warranty and fix the unit...

Date PurchasedSep 2016
We’re really sorry to hear about your experience with us so far. As we cannot access your contact details through ProductReview, please fill out your details via this form: https://www.bosch-climate.com.au/customer-support/warranty-and-servicing/warranty-request-form/ and we will get in contact with you regarding your warranty claim.

Piece of Rubbish from day One!!!

Water has never been really hot,when having a bath no cold water is ever needed,have been putting up with this for two years. I have contacted Bosch on several occasions but treated rudely each time. Was told that if someone came out and something not under Warranty they would charge costs for travelling time etc.I !! Not good enough Bosch,have been told that it is not a problem of incorrect pump from the water tank. I was told by Bosch that was probably the problem.Will never buy a Bosch appliance again.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Hi Lucei, we’re so sorry to hear about your experience and troubles with this unit. As you may already know, our warranty covers all manufacturing faults. As per our warranty conditions, we are unable to provide our warranty if the issue with the unit is not a manufacturing fault. We recommend having your unit serviced every two years by a licensed plumber. If you would like to discuss further, our team can be reached at our toll-free number 1300 30 70 37 any time from 8am to 6pm during the weekday.

Installation was wrong and minimal support from Bosch when contacted with issue

Our 16H Hydroflow unit was installed just over three years ago by a Bosch certified installer. The installation manual notes that in locations where the temperature goes below 0c a valve should be installed, this was not done by the installer and three years later the heat exchanger cracked due to frost. The installer (Cowra Gas Supplies) came out and informed us that it was a right-off and wasn't under warranty (10 years on the heat exchanger) because the valve wasn't installed and that we should buy a new one from him....yea right. So I was sold a product that was not installed as per specifications by Bosch's rep and he keeps saying it is out of warranty due to the lack of a valve even though it was his fault. Four weeks later and still not resolved, lucky we have friends I can grab a shower at! If this is the state of service provided by Bosch and their representatives, it appears to be pointless.

Date PurchasedApr 2015
Hi Nigel, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience – we truly appreciate your feedback. Based on our understanding of the situation, this issue has since been resolved. If you have any further issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on previously established channels.

H16 junk

Ok moved in to a property that had one of these cold water heaters fitted.......... From first shower started to give problems
Had to start and stop the shower multiple times to finish shower, although sometimes it would pump out scalding water....... Not very helpful.

Then it would just refuse to light the ignition unit would fire but no pilot light.

I checked the output from the water turbine and this was within spec at 1.5v so no problem there.

So i started to investigate.
Things i have now done and unit now seems reliable.

1 used electrical cleaner on the contacts for the control module, is an oil based cleaner that dissolves oxide layer, dispels moisture and then seals out further contamination.
I plugged it on and off a few times to aid cleaning.

2. I have also removed the on/off switch from the circuit as this is next to useless in the outside environment and this was also causing a volt drop.

3. The solenoids that control the pilot and main gas supply rely on an earth return through the body of the burner and case, and as you no aluminum tends to corrode in this type of environment, so i fitted a separate earth return line back to the controller, this had a very good result burner would fire reliably every time.

4. To fix the temperature cycling hot to cold, i watched the burner in operation and it was ramping up from the slight fluctuations from my pump pressure change due to the pressure switch on the pump, but I thought it was not suppling enough heat when pressure was high, hence cold part of the shower, and as the pressure dropped off the gas didn't go low enough hence scalding water.
To fix this I installed a pressure reducer on the water input to the unit and set its pressure at my house water pumps pressure just before it cut in again.
Now i get a reliable constant flow of hot..... And it is nice and hot, hot water so i can add cold water at the mixers for the shower and the sinks to get the right temperature.

I now get a nice relaxing hot shower.

Hope this helps everyone else.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi Jon, thank you for taking the time and effort to leave a review. We are so sorry to hear about the issues you’ve experienced with this unit. We would typically recommend using a constant pressure pump as the unit itself needs constant flow and pressure to operate. As you found out, the pressure reducer you installed solved this issue as it acts as a constant pressure pump. For any further issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our helpful team any time from 8am to 6pm (AEST) during the week at 1300 30 70 37. As your unit is still under warranty, we would be able to book a service call for you.

Stay away from this

This NEW unit was installed by a Plumber on the 31st of May 2018 and the water temperature only got to 38 degrees at the shower head. So we called the Installer, they came had a look, but deemed it to be a Warranty job, so the Bosch agent Plumber came had a look and ordered a part to fix the issue. Two days later that part was replaced but still not hot enough. So a few days later the Bosch agent came and had a look, claimed that the previous agent ordered the wrong part, so he ordered the correct part to give me the hot water e.g. 50 Degrees as claimed by Bosch. Well I called Bosch and they said they will someone out to fix this useless piece of S..T. Well today is the 23rd of June, and I still don't have water which is warmer then 38 degrees. If I don't get it fixed or replaced by Wednesday the 27th of June 2018, which is four weeks with cold water from a unit and installation which cost $1288.49. I will have it pulled out and will drag Bosch trough the fair trade agency.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

easy fix for my problem

Cold mornings and lukewarm water, could only just stand the temperature when taking a shower, had to boil the electric kettle to be able to do the dish washing. Thought it might have been the caused by the exposed hot water pipes and the distance from the heater to the bathroom. Went to the expense and work by placing insulation tubing around the pipes, this lifted the temperature by a couple of degrees but still lukewarm, gave up and called local gas fitter/plumber. He was there for 15 minutes, took out the jets which were badly blocked, cleaned them and voila steaming hot water! and he only charged me 20 dollars! I had noticed I was not using much gas from my LPG gas cylinder now I know why, he said the other problem can be the water filter blocking up on the inlet pipe especially if you are not on mains supply, Hope this helps someone.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Lasted 7 years then died.

Has been getting colder for the last few years so technically only lasted 5 years before having problems. Water temperature doesn't keeps fluctuating so your constantly having to adjust between hot and cold. If you have a water save tap it doesn't even kick in to turn on the hot water so I can't get hot water out of my bathroom tap and never have been able to. Don't waste your money.

Date PurchasedJun 2012

Bosch hydrofailure

Bought this 7 years ago and has finally died. After 5 years in service the heat exchanger blew a hole allowing water to escape, Bosch covered the cost of the part but labour was at my expense. Then the water adjustment valve leaked and had to have that repaired. Unit allows fluctuated with heating the water. Cabinet is totally rusted. Updated to a rheem metro 16. When i asked about direct replacement unit for Bosch they recommended the rheem over Bosch.
Good better Bosch? Don't think so

Date PurchasedMar 2010

Moronic gnomes in Siberia would heat water faster...

Simply dreadful and unreliable and insufficient for anyone's needs.
We replaced one we had had for 13 years only to find that the new one does not work. We have not had 'hot' water for a year now and each time we get Bosch involved, it's something to do with the gas lines - or a fiddle with the ignition. It just doesn't heat the water to a normal 'hot' temperature at all, even with the water pressure turned down so that it has more time to heat. It has taken hours of time to sit around waiting for them to come and work on it and still no solution. Be aware that if you install Bosch, the gas pipes are a different diameter to other units (like the fantastic Rinnai we have at another property) so changing to a different brand is expensive because it requires re-plumbing. We are so utterly unimpressed and think that it is a terrible unit. I won't ever buy this brand again and think that we were just stupid not to get a whole new gas pipe fitted (up and over our two-storey home) as in the end it would have caused less angst and at least we would have had hot water...
Back in touch with Bosch again as I can't bear it any longer.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Hot then Cold Problem Solved

It took me two years and the cost of a new heater to sort out this problem. First 10H was becoming problematic in that the water would be hot and then suddenly cold. It didn't matter what settings were adjusted ie. flow rate, temp setting. A service man charged me $100 to tell me to put the water on the lowest flow rate and the temp on highest setting. Works ok in winter but not in summer. There was more to it than simple adjustment. I bought a new heater after a two seasons of this frustration. The problem still existed. It took some time to realise the problem was caused by a new water restricted shower rose I put in two years ago. If you want these heaters to work remove all devices that restrict water flow. This includes shower roses, aerators on kitchen spouts etc. You will solve your problem.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Will NEVER buy Bosch again.

Our water bill has doubled since changing to Bosch HydroPower. Water can sometimes take several minutes to get hot, other times water gets lukewarm then goes cold again so you wait another few minutes for water to heat up. Really annoying when you're rushing to work in the morning & you have to wait several minutes for hot water. Warranty is useless too. Plumbing & Gas Guys will charge me $150.00 call out fee & Bosch will also charge me $155.00 call out fee. Warranty is non existent, Bosch is only interested in being paid, customer service doesn't exist either

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Product has electrical fault (ghost)

The Bosch Hydropower units have poor electrical design, anyway assuming the heater is working properly, I would get it serviced for this that is <(TURN OFF GAS>), backflush water circuit, just unplug in and out water pipes and connect a hose to the outlet its easy enough to find a fitting or something, but you may need to bend the pipes around a little but do not hurt them!, the crud buildup in the pipes will reduce your efficiency like if you use it with unfiltered rain tank water you would want to clean it about every 5 years on the other hand if you have hard water as in bore water then I dont know but I think calcium buildup will be your problem. hard water clogs up everything, disassemble and clean out water inlet manifold, there is a mesh screen in there, on mine it was in bits all through the ports clogging everything up. Now if needed clean over the whole unit with compressed air to spruce it up and reduce fire hazard or if your diy then it's nice to clean things before working on them imo. Don't ask me what all that would cost!
You don't need to mess round with the gas side that's all fine.

Now here's what you do to fix em, this is for a Bosch Hydropower 10H but I assume it probably applies to the other hydropower models too. Ok for those wanting more information the water flow runs the electronics @ 1.5v DC wich charges the high voltage pilot igniter but it also runs the 2 solenoids for the pilot gas circuit and that pilot circuit operates the diaphragm for the main gas valve. The thing is those 2 little solenoids are grounded through the whole unit, if you look it,s not great, so what I did was add a piece of wire say 5 amp should be heaps, now connect the wire to the fixing point for ground next to the electrical box and now connect the other end to one of the chunky screws that holds on one of the gas solenoids(DON'T REMOVE SOLENOIDS UNLESS YOUR REPLACING THEM THEY ARE VERY FRAGILE AND DON'T ABSOLUTELY DON'T UNSCREW THE SCREWS ON THE LITTLE COLORED PLASTIC BIT, That said I used the green one at the back, don't worry it wont leak gas as long as you only remove one screw but of course (>TURN OFF THE GAS<). Tighten up all the screws, again it doesnt hurt to go over the unit and check all the screws and bolts, there is one screw for calibrating the sliding knob also. And that's it turn on the gas and water and go test your brand new water heater!
More info, you can test the generator with a multimeter, just unplug it and test the voltage with the water running through it obviously. Mine was about 1.6v
You could also test the resistance of the gas solenoids with and without extra wire, etc.
Fyi there is a brass screw about half way up on the left side of the unit facing out that I use to bleed the gas line, at least that's what I use it for. Just unscrew it a bit while its trying to light you just have to flick the switch a few times until the gas comes through then screw it up again.
Also it doesn't hurt to go over everything with some soapy water in a sprayer to check for gas leaks especially if unit is old or if you can smell gas, I imagine if there was a gas leak inside the cover that would cause some issues.
Anyway you wont believe how well it works after this mod, it ALWAYS starts as long as u have gas, it will stay lit at pretty low flow levels so you can mess round with the cold tap and it wont cut out to a point, I used to just have the cover off cos I was always messing with it trying to get it to light or tuning the knobs man it drove me nuts. Now I just leave it at the mid point between my summer and winter settings.
I also disconnected the lights to help it work better but I think that's overkill. You don't really need to blast the hot tap anymore if you have enough flow it will just come on.
Oh and if you still need or want to better control the temps then get plumber to install a tempering valve. The flow control knob I just have cracked open but I think If you have not enough pressure at hot tap you could open flow more and also turn up the heat more.
P.S. my 10H was about 10yo when I serviced it.
The Wizz.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Hi we have the hot water system listed in other question. Problem is: all burners are lit and stay lit but water doesn't get hot, only lukewarm. It is fed from gas bottles. System is around 4 years old. Have checked and there doesn't seem to be any blockages. Carrie-Ann
Hi Carrie-Ann, it sounds like your unit may need a service. We generally recommend that all hot water systems are serviced at least every two years. If you require assistance in finding a Bosch approved service technician, please get in touch with our helpful team at 1300 30 70 37 and we’ll be able to find you a local solution. Our team is available from 7:30am to 6:00pm (AEST) Monday to Friday on our toll-free line.

Hi I have a Hydrow16 and sometimes the sparker won't work
Hi Michelle, next time your sparker doesn't work, we suggest trying to "restart" the system. To do this, you will need to turn off all your hot water taps and then turn one tap back on at full flow. If this does not trigger your ignition, isolate the valves at the unit for twenty seconds before re-opening and trying the steps above again. If this does not work, please get in touch with us at 1300 30 70 37 as your unit may require some servicing. Our team is available from 7:30am to 6:00pm (AEST) Monday to Friday to help troubleshoot and solve your issue.Thank you, for your prompt reply, I will try that next time it happens. regards Michelle

I bought a couple of these in 2015 for rental properties. The tenants haven't complained about the water temperature but the other day checking a water leak i notice that one of them has nearly rusted away. The other tenant confirmed that his was also rusty but I haven't checked that one. The rust is really bad, all over the unit, it looks like it won't last the year out. I'm not sure how long the warranty is or what I can do about this but surely they are meant to be outside and they were fitted by someone from the Gas Company who never said they needed cover.
Hi Molly, we’re really sorry to hear about the issue you’re having with your units. This range has a full warranty of two years for parts and labour, and further warranty of 10 years for the heat exchanger part only. The level of corrosion within the time frame you are referring to sounds extreme and not normal. Although we do not know the location of your units, installation in areas near ocean or marine environments will cause premature corrosion of surface coatings. As such, we recommend in our product literature to avoid such installations as it is not covered under warranty. If you require any further information regarding our warranty conditions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team at our toll-free line 1300 30 70 37 (we are available from 7:30am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday). We also suggest getting in contact with your gas company regarding this issue.We polished it up and put a wooden cover on it and it is ok now. We do live near the beach but the heater is on the other side of the building. Ga an company was no help.Hi Molly, thank you for clarifying the location of where your units are located. Unfortunately, the powder coated steel we use in our units can be affected by the salt content in the air of your environment. A slightly unorthodox method to slow down the corrosion would be to coat the unit in fish oil as a preventative measure. This product is typically called rust prevention/guard/treatment and will usually have fish oil in the product name. It can also be purchased from your local hardware store. As mentioned, it will not stop the rust from coming back, but it can help to slow down the corrosion. Please also be advised that due to safety concerns, we strongly recommend the removal of the wooden cover as it is a fire hazard.

HydroPower 10HHydroPower 13HHydroPower 16H