Breville Smart Scoop BCI600

Breville Smart Scoop BCI600

MPNs: 1837, 35903044 and BCI600

So Far Some Real Concerns

While this machine makes great tasting ice cream and frozen yogurt I've had some big issues with the machine itself after only a few months of usage. The lid won't open when its time to add the mix-ins, so you have to take the whole cover off. That wasn't such a big deal but today it made a banging sound towards the end of blending process that was actually quite disturbing. I paid $500 for this and got it directly from Breville. I frankly feel now like I got ripped off.

DatasetaSydney, NSW

Easier Said Than Done

The Breville Smart Scoop has auto features. Seriously, if you want to make good ice-cream, use the manual setting and watch the process. Your ice-cream recipes should always be analgised.

Purchased in May 2013 at David Jones Online Store for $395.00.

Ricco

RiccoPerth

Not happy

This is my third breville Ice cream maker and the one I have now has only been used 4 times and is now not completing its cycle with the paddle grinding to a halt. Can’t believe I have to go through this process yet again .For the money you pay this is unbelievable.

Purchased in May 2018 at Kitchen Warehouse WA, Malaga for $327.00.

Ian ClarkSouth East Queensland, QLD

Buy something else

I'm on my 3rd one of these all replaced under warranty. i use it about once a month and it never works, each machine has had some different issue from replacing thermostats to timers and lots of other excuses.

Purchased in January 2018 at Myer.

Steph

StephCentral Queensland, QLD

Leave it in the shop!

I bought this machine several weeks ago. I have tried to make quite a few batches of ice cream. Let me just firstly say.... I am an excellent cook and have followed the recipes properly. The machine makes a terrible grinding noise and does not make the ice cream any harder than the consistency of yogurt. Don’t waste your money on this machine.

Purchased in July 2019 at Myer Online Store for $365.00.

Shaun

ShaunMurray Region, NSW

Clunking noise and machine unable to finish cycle

In only its second use after following the recipes strictly with the manual provided we have never been able to finish an ice cream cycle. As the ice cream gets thicker the machine makes a loud clunking/knocking sound. We have to stop the machine. At first I thought it may have been the choc chips we placed in it. But have since used it 3 more times with no choc chips and trying different recipes and the clunking/knocking sounds are still happening towards the end of the cycle. So we really have never had ice cream as it cant reach the flashing squares to complete the cycle in fear of the machine blowing up.
Shaun

Purchased at Amazon Australia.

Rebecca Hearn

Rebecca HearnSouth East Queensland, QLD

Dial no longer working

It worked fine initially but now the dial is basically stuck on gelato and won’t dial up or down. And if you move to manual you can’t move back to auto unless you factory reset. Short 1 year warranty is worthless.
Disappointed

Purchased in January 2013.

Aruba Bob

Aruba BobOssian

This ice cream maker is a piece of CRAP!!!!

Tish

Tish

Freezer bowls work better in Brisbane

The machine can't cope with Brisbane summer weather, it just won't cool down enough; other freezer bowl machines work well in same conditions and faster.

The churner isn't well designed for airation; again other machines have better shaped churners making light and fluffy icecream without a buildup on the edge of the bowl.

It is very heavy.

The autodetect and keep chilled after finishing never worked very well, was easier and more reliable to just do manually and keep an eye on it.

Used 5-6 times put in cupboard for 3 months over winter and pulled it out and cooling wasn't working so got a refund.

Wouldn't repurchase as not worth it considering ice bowl machines perform better.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

peter

petersydney

Awful.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Marshall

MarshallGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

It works. It’s simple. It can produce all sorts of frozen mixtures and it (seems to be) robust.

Honest Kiwi

Honest KiwiWellington

Simply the best with no fuss!

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Sultan Kabir

Sultan KabirPerth, WA

As simple as 1..2..3.. Ice Cream

Aemae Delos Santos

Aemae Delos SantosMelbourne

Many issues and poor customer service

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Makes great ice cream until the tiny gasket gets misplaced

Somehow misplaced the tiny gasket the goes around the driveshaft and now if there is any overflow ice cream gets down into the motor slowly gunking it up. Of course I tried to find a replacement but that was futile. Will be looking at other machines in the future as it seems they don't make or throw in replacement parts that are impossible to find.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Lilys Mummy

Lilys Mummy

stopped working after the 3rd time of use - great when it actually worked though!

I bought this to eliminate excess sugar and dairy in our ice cream due to health and allergy issues. It was so awesome the first two times i used it but the 3rd time it said it was ready about 30secs after i poured the mixture in. I tried a further 2 times thinking i did something wrong but even after a walk through call with Breville it wouldnt work again. Was really disappointed considering the cost. Took it back to The Good Guys for a full refund and found out it was a common issue with this product.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Worked Once

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Sam

SamMelton

Love it!

Purchased last October and used weekly ever since. No problems at all, love the recipes that I can put my own twist on. I don't eat sugar so being able to make my own ice cream with alternatives is fantastic, now taking orders from family members. My only concern was the pre-cool was taking a long time but realised I just needed to be more patient.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
DrQwerty

DrQwertyAdelaide, SA

Solid machine, does the job

We decided to invest in one of the smart scoop machines, it is a pretty solid machine. We have used it quite a few times now over the last year and it certainly does work well. It has been good being able to make all sorts of different flavours and mixes. The recipes in the guide are a good basis, and work well. The machine is a bit noisy is prob the only main downside.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Knocking noise

Used the ice cream maker less than 10 times and the last time it made a strange knocking noise. I removed the basket - no change. I selected pre-cool - no noise.
The ice cream maker still works but it does not sound right.
Any suggestions how to address this issue?

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Paul S.

Paul S.asked

So with all these issues regarding this brand and model what has everyone change to?

Cuisinart is much more reliable than the 3 disasters I had with Breville

Dataseta

Each to their own choice. I have now recharged the condenser twice and the churn is still able to parrallel the highest setting of smooth frozen custard. That method uses less water and combines a harder heavier body which will test your motor on any machine. One thing I found out from the recharging techies is that I can pull out the motor and have the coil rewound to improve the robustness of the motor. That suggestion doesn’t change the working electronics, just the motor will have greater ability to maintain churn at heavy end of ice cream making. I don't have warrantee on my unit but I have access to good whitegoods electrical techies. The obvious issue is that people don't have good techies to look after their kitchen tools and expect nothing to break. It will break and wear out the more you use it or abuse the functional aspects of good care. I prefer not to add to the endless throwing out of broken promises and think more about extending longevity not because i’m a pursepincher, it is because we humans are creating a toxic waste dump from our laziness.

Anninha Kaori T.

Anninha Kaori T.asked

My machine all of the sudden gets very heated(the back of it is impossible to touch because it’s too hot) and the temperature starts rising.... Any ideas?

L.R.P

L.R.Pasked

The machine will now freeze. It finally does cools on the pre cool setting ... the after pushing start temp steadily climbs to never return to freezing point again

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

CategoryIce Cream Makers