MPN: 35903044

Leave it in the shop!

I bought this machine several weeks ago. I have tried to make quite a few batches of ice cream. Let me just firstly say.... I am an excellent cook and have followed the recipes properly. The machine makes a terrible grinding noise and does not make the ice cream any harder than the consistency of yogurt. Don’t waste your money on this machine.

Purchased in July 2019 at Myer Online Store for $365.00.

Clunking noise and machine unable to finish cycle

In only its second use after following the recipes strictly with the manual provided we have never been able to finish an ice cream cycle. As the ice cream gets thicker the machine makes a loud clunking/knocking sound. We have to stop the machine. At first I thought it may have been the choc chips we placed in it. But have since used it 3 more times with no choc chips and trying different recipes and the clunking/knocking sounds are still happening towards the end of the cycle. So we really have never had ice cream as it cant reach the flashing squares to complete the cycle in fear of the machine blowing up.
Shaun

Purchased at Amazon Australia.

Dial no longer working

It worked fine initially but now the dial is basically stuck on gelato and won’t dial up or down. And if you move to manual you can’t move back to auto unless you factory reset. Short 1 year warranty is worthless.
Disappointed

Purchased in January 2013.

This ice cream maker is a piece of CRAP!!!!

I spend 7 months in Aruba per year and thought this would be the perfect thing. When they shipped it to Indiana, my wife told me it says: Do not turn upside down. Plus she said it won't fit in a suitcase so I decided to leave this at home in Indiana and but one in Aruba. The one I bought in Aruba was 3 times smaller than this one but there is no compressor. You put the bowl in the freezer and the bowl is twice as big as this one. So in 20 minutes, you have great ice cream in Aruba. I told my Daughter last night we need to try this one out. Its got its own compressor so we should have ice cream in no time flat. WRONG!!! She said the temp keeps getting warmer and after 30 min its was still soup so she shut it down. Now I tried it today and its the same deal. I pre cool it but the led says 57 degrees. Now I read reviews and it says it could take 1 to 3 hours to get a qt and a half of ice cream. That is INSANE!! This piece of crap needs to get thrown off a bridge. I am very dissatisfied with this and will NEVER buy from this company again. I will take double the ice cream in 20 minutes. Just keep the bowl in the freezer. Thanks Breville. You just lost another customer!!!!! Aruba Bob arubabobsnorkeling.com

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Freezer bowls work better in Brisbane

The machine can't cope with Brisbane summer weather, it just won't cool down enough; other freezer bowl machines work well in same conditions and faster.

The churner isn't well designed for airation; again other machines have better shaped churners making light and fluffy icecream without a buildup on the edge of the bowl.

It is very heavy.

The autodetect and keep chilled after finishing never worked very well, was easier and more reliable to just do manually and keep an eye on it.

Used 5-6 times put in cupboard for 3 months over winter and pulled it out and cooling wasn't working so got a refund.

Wouldn't repurchase as not worth it considering ice bowl machines perform better.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Awful.

I've used domestic and commercial ice cream machines for 40 years. There's not much to making a good one; they are basically a freezer compressor and a mechanical churn. Breville in this case has decided to make a pretty version, all chrome and electronics. Unfortunately, the performance is woeful. After 3 hours - yes 3 hours - of churning, the machine finally reached the maximum hardness setting and switched off. Unfortunately the mixture was still the consistency of pouring cream. Not "ice cream" consistency at all.

I don't remember ever buying such a poorly-performing appliance. My 30yo Simac 1600 does a much better job in less than a third of the time. The Breville is going back to the store first thing tomorrow.

Update: I had selected to postpone this review to give Breville a chance to resolve the issue. But after reading the other replies by Breville to issues with this machine I don't see the point. It's simply an expensive dud.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

It works. It’s simple. It can produce all sorts of frozen mixtures and it (seems to be) robust.

Caveat 1: I’ve only had it for 2 months so I can’t really comment on longevity but the other Breville items (espresso machine and waffle maker) in this range have been excellent.

Caveat 2:It isn’t cheap, but then it is basically a tiny freezer with all the complexities of one.

Caveat 3:As it stirs the mixture constantly while freezing it, it can only produce something around “soft serve” density for immediate consumption. If you want harder then you need to decant and place in your freezer.

This was originally bought on impulse. Like the waffle maker, it was intended to value-add to the kitchen, not to pay for itself by replacing existing purchases. However we have found that it has displaced most of our ice cream purchases and now (unexpectedly) anticipate that it will have paid for itself over around 2 years (the espresso machine used with Aldi coffee beans paid for itself in 6 months).

The biggest surprise is that you don’t have to make “real” ice cream using eggs and par-cooking (although that does produce a delicious result). You can make a quick-and-easy “gelato” in around 20 minutes by simply mixing your favourite (mix of?) fruit juice(s) with a small amount of cream (or I now use full-cream milk powder). Or run the juice through a blender with some frozen fruit then add milk powder. Or part-way through the freezing process the maker will tell you to add anything you want – so add the fruit/chocolate etc now. Twenty minutes later and you have a delicious “gelato”.

My daughter has made “healthy” mixtures omitting the cream/milk powder and using various alternative “milks” (almond, rice, coconut etc). These lack the texture of gelato – more like a hard slushie - but presumably are healthier.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Simply the best with no fuss!

After a brief unsuccessful experience with a Cuisinart ICE-21 ice-cream churn I upgraded to the Breville BC1600 ice cream maker.
Wow is all I can say – this makes ice-cream and sorbets as I expected. Simply using cream, milk, sugar and flavourings with no other additives makes old fashioned ice-cream. I’ve now used this several times a week for 5 months and it hasn’t missed a beat. Vanilla, coffee and licorice ice-creams are our favourites, along with berry sorbets.

My basic ice-cream recipe – slowly beat together 300ml cream, 180ml whole milk, 1/2 cup castor sugar, pinch salt plus
1. a tablespoon (or 1.5 tbsp) real vanilla syrup, OR
2. a tablespoon (or 1.5 tbsp) licorice molasses – add 2 tbsp chopped licorice at add-ins prompt for extra texture OR
3. a tablespoon (or 1.5 tbsp) strong freeze dried coffee with 15% ground coffee

Pour carefully into the churn and let the Breville do the rest. Makes about 1 ll. Best enjoyed after freezing for a couple of hours.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

As simple as 1..2..3.. Ice Cream

After a long research on various ice cream products in the market place (although not too many choice), I finally settled with the Breville Smart Scoop BCI600 which I bought from David Jones (during a sale). First day in its operation "Mango Ice Cream", I can't believe the texture, creaminess and the flavor it held together. Much much better than any ice cream's I've ever had. This one has the compressor within which helps keeping the temperature and saves you the hassle of freezing the mix prior. The process takes between 45-60 mins excluding the making of the mix itself, but its completely worth it once you hear the chime of the end process. I will recommend to anyone who is looking to buy an ice cream maker for this summer or later. Although there is an alternative of Cuisinart, I believe the Breville Smart Scoop BCI600 is no less comparatively.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Many issues and poor customer service

Followed the recipes, they didn't work for me, always icy ice creams and just wasted so much ingredients. Instead asked my chef friend how to make ice cream, he told me I have to cook the cream and then put it in the ice cream maker.
Ice cream turned out amazing.
1stly, they sent me a scratched machine, looking like it was a reject one. So had to wait along time for them to replace it. Then had issues with my Ice cream machine, they told me they'll call back to redirect to the right people. Called another 2 times the next week. Eventually redirected me to breville representatives, that would fix it. I couldn't be bothered. I just prayed each time that it won't stuff up, which worked or I left the machine for a couple of days and it'll be ok.

Problem: I put the mix in, would stop after 5 mins saying that its ice cream when it's not finish at all.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Makes great ice cream until the tiny gasket gets misplaced

Somehow misplaced the tiny gasket the goes around the driveshaft and now if there is any overflow ice cream gets down into the motor slowly gunking it up. Of course I tried to find a replacement but that was futile. Will be looking at other machines in the future as it seems they don't make or throw in replacement parts that are impossible to find.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

stopped working after the 3rd time of use - great when it actually worked though!

I bought this to eliminate excess sugar and dairy in our ice cream due to health and allergy issues. It was so awesome the first two times i used it but the 3rd time it said it was ready about 30secs after i poured the mixture in. I tried a further 2 times thinking i did something wrong but even after a walk through call with Breville it wouldnt work again. Was really disappointed considering the cost. Took it back to The Good Guys for a full refund and found out it was a common issue with this product.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Worked Once

I was very excited about my purchase until it failed on the second batch. It just shows as completed about 20 seconds after it starts. I called Breville support and it seems that the only option I have is to mail it back to where i purchased it for a replacement or refund (should take 3-4 weeks) to take it to a local repairer (over 4 weeks). I think the person at Breville Support was having a bad day as the experience was not positive. I visited the local repaired who advised that this is not the first case of this issue.

Perhaps others are having more luck with this ice cream maker. Perhaps I should have purchased this from a local retailer to ensure a faster return in the case of failure. But for me, this was a poor experience.

Note: I have about 10 other Breville kitchen appliances and never has a problem with these.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Love it!

Purchased last October and used weekly ever since. No problems at all, love the recipes that I can put my own twist on. I don't eat sugar so being able to make my own ice cream with alternatives is fantastic, now taking orders from family members. My only concern was the pre-cool was taking a long time but realised I just needed to be more patient.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Solid machine, does the job

We decided to invest in one of the smart scoop machines, it is a pretty solid machine. We have used it quite a few times now over the last year and it certainly does work well. It has been good being able to make all sorts of different flavours and mixes. The recipes in the guide are a good basis, and work well. The machine is a bit noisy is prob the only main downside.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Knocking noise

Used the ice cream maker less than 10 times and the last time it made a strange knocking noise. I removed the basket - no change. I selected pre-cool - no noise.
The ice cream maker still works but it does not sound right.
Any suggestions how to address this issue?

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Mmmmmmmm Just The Best

Bought the Breville Smart Scoop a couple of days ago and so far have made Lemon Sorbet and Vanilla ice cream. Wow. Just a fantastic machine. So easy to use and clean. Recipes and user manual are simply explained. Wasn't sure what quality we would get but were very surprised at just how good it is. Can't wait to make more using different ingredients. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone who loves Ice Cream, Gelato and Sorbet.

Dial not working

Only used 4 times now dial not working not happy ..very expensive for breaking already with no real use poor quality for large cost . I was excited to make my own healthy ice cream and frozen youghurt only made 4 ice creams cannot change dial to make youghurt . I see many others have a dial problem to

Date PurchasedDec 2015
This would be uncommon for the model, your excitement was rightly & safely placed in this product and our brand with hopes of quality and happiness which we sincerely work to achieve in all categories. We would like to promptly address and resolve the experience you have had thus far, please reach out to Breville Support at your earliest convenience. We can be reached via phone, 1300 139 798 or online, https://www.breville.com.au/ask-usThank you for your response. I took liberty in emailing already as I saw the email address. I am just hoping gor a response.I have received a reply only 24 hrs after my post by Breville. This is fantastic service.I am not sure of the outcome yet as I have replied with the model numbers as requested.

Worked great for a while...

I bought this ice cream maker just before Xmas. The ice cream was fantastic for the first few goes. Now it seems to keep stopping after a few minutes and claim it's ready. We can't get it to go for longer than a few minutes at a time, so the texture is never right. I have no idea why it worked so well for a short while, then suddenly went funny. I normally am a great fan of Breville products, but this one is very disappointing.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Very Disappointed

Even after reading the many negative reviews of this product we purchased the Ice Cream maker from JB Hi-Fi yesterday with much excitement. We were really looking forward to the upgrade from the manual unit we've had for a while. We expected that the negative thread of comments were because customers with negative experiences are more likely to leave comments.

Even after two hours of churning, the unit had not lowered below room temperature. The Pre-Cool feature did nothing (make some noises for 15 minutes or so then beeped and said it was ready at 30C).

Calling Breville was a waste of time, the support agent knew nothing of this unit and wanted to walk through the manual (we knew more about it than they did).

It's clear there is a widespread problem with this unit that has not been addressed as there are other people on this thread with the same issue. Its also clear that the after sales support is not adequate. I do not recommend purchasing this product or any other Breville product.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Have had for a week and used three times. Each time the machine gets progressively noisier around the sorbet coldness level. Eventually it stops churning all together. So it never fully completes the cycle. Thinking I need to return.
Makes sense that it might get noisier as the contents thickens but if it’s not completing the cycle then it may need checking... although from sorbet to ice cream is only a short time...does it chime to say it’s done or does it just stop and not say that it’s finished...It just stops churning and never chimes. I rang Breville and they gave me a reference number and said to return to retailer and exchange for a new one - which I have done. Cross fingers new one works when I trial this weekend!

When the button to keep ice cream cold is pressed, power turns off after a few minutes. Anyone have this same issue?
This is not something we would expect from the Breville® Smart Scoop™. Have you contacted our consumer support team for troubleshooting and assistance with this?

We have the BCI600 smart scoop ice cream machine which we bought several months ago. Suddenly the temperature display is stuck at 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). The ice cream maker still cools down and freezes the ice cream and the machine still dings when it’s time to add the mixture, and when it’s finished churning. But the temperature display stays at the 50 degrees celcius, never changing. any ideas?
If it’s under warranty get it fixed ASAP. Mines out of warranty and the digital display has basically stopped responding. It still freezes and churns but you can’t adjust the settings or display. You have to eyeball it for “doneness”. Seems to be a common fault - breville should take responsibility for this since it’s so common. But sadly they won’t. So get it fixed quick, while the warranty still applies.

CategoryIce Cream Makers