Breville Smart Kettle BKE825

Irina

IrinaCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Excellent kettle

We are very happy with this kettle as we purchased it in 2010 and it served us 10 years with no issues. Buttons started playing up last year and only now 26 Dec 2020 we are replacing it as the screw finally corroded. I’m planning to buy the exact kettle again.

Purchased in September 2010 at Harvey Norman.

Greco14

Greco14Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good performance but poor durability

I love the product, it's features and the performance (speed of water boil), but the durability of the materials is poor. The stainless steel container seems to be of good quality and nicely finished, but the plastic lid and specifically the rim that holds the lid it gets cracked after many heating-cooling cycles and eventually breaks. Apart from the aesthetics, it effects the sealing, so every time water gets boiled the steam vapours are popping out of the lid. From what I'm reading others having the same problem as well so maybe this is something common. I would recommend the kettle for its quality and performance but only if you are happy to get it replaced after 2-4 years.

Purchased in December 2016 at Harvey Norman.

Justin beeper

Justin beeperPerth, WA

Oh the sweet sounds of BEEP

Purchased in May 2018 at Myer for $140.00.

Jenny

JennyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Not too smart

We just bought the smart kettle recently and was disappointed, the guy told us that we can used our google home to turn it on. And that’s why well agree to buy it. But unfortunately it only turn on and off and it doesn’t do anything or boiling. We still need to go there and push the button. Other than that, it was good for the temperature options. But yeah, we just return it and look for another Smart kettle. I think its only smart because of temperature. But using google home or alexa it’s a no no.

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $159.00.

Claire V

Claire VGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Worked for a few years then all the problems cropped up

This was a great kettle for 3 years and then it started going haywire. It will suddenly start beeping a ton until you go and move it on its base a bit. It won’t start and then you have to switch it off at the wall and it will work again. Those things were annoying but we could live with it. Then it started randomly turning off mid-boil which was more of a problem. Finally it has started to boil endlessly and that’s just dangerous. So it’s going to have to go and I definitely won’t get a Breville to replace it because for $120 I expect more than 3 years out of a kettle.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Mike P

Mike PKambah 2902, ACT

Just don't bother wasting the money

Purchased in July 2019 at Myer for $139.00.

Tim S.

Tim S.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

expensive and short lived

Only had this for about 2 years and now you press the start button it clicks and just beeps a number of times and shuts off. must be a ground fault in the jug. waste of money.

Purchased for $175.00.

Florence Cochran

Florence CochranPerth, WA

Broken twice, fault in design

Buyer beware!!

I loved this kettle when I received it as a house warming present - within warranty it stopped working maybe after 18 months. This, considering the price is not good enough.

Under warranty it was replaced - as it should have been - but within 12 months the replacement has the exact same issue. very upsetting as I am a big tea drinker and the concept is great!

Purchased in October 2019 at The Good Guys.

Works fine! Just rotate it on its base to keep the sensor contacts clean

We had all the same frustrations expressed here until I listened to my wife and applied my electrical engineering design experience to the problem.
It is well known that metal contacts carrying very low currents will oxidize or build up resistance. I believe this is what is happening to the temperature sensor contacts in the base of the Breville kettle. I cleaned the Base contacts and bingo, no more problems for several months. Repeat, clean & fixed again.
We now habitually rotate the jug on its base every time we use it and have no more problems. NB unplug the base before doing anything to it, some contacts are live at 240v.
PS cleaning water scale off the bottom of the jug reduced the noise level too.

Purchased in April 2018 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores - Appliances.

Jess B

Jess BPerth, WA

Faulty after 2 months

Even though the reviews were bad because our previous smart kettle lasted for years we decided to replace our old one the same product. Something has obviously changed. First the lid would continuously get stuck. Then one night it just starting making this electrical sound and started boiling. Then next morning none of the buttons would work and it’s completely broken. By all the reviews, this product is obviously faulty and needs to be taken off shelves!

Purchased in December 2019 at Harvey Norman for $120.00.

HonestCitizen

HonestCitizenBrisbane

Temperature control

The main reason I bought this kettle is due to the temperature control buttons. It gives me the option to boil water at 100 deg or to make green tea with 80 deg water. Perfect for tea drinkers or those who don’t like super hot water every single time they boil water. It has a keep warm function which allows the kettle to keep boiling the water when it senses it’s cooling down. I’ve had this kettle for over 3 yrs now and it’s still working. Occasionally, and only just recently, it will boil continuously and I have to hit cancel to stop it. Must be a fault with the buttons? But given I have gotten so many years from it, it doesn’t bother me. It still works fine. So I won’t replace it until it dies completely.

Purchased in March 2016 at Harvey Norman for $150.00.

waynoshaw

waynoshawGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Never Ever Buying another Breville Product Again!

Patrick

PatrickPerth, WA

Continues to Boil - Cracked Lid, No reason, not dropped!

Same as many others, it just continues to boil and the lid developed a crack for no good reason and the crack is just getting larger! Pretty poor for such an expensive kitchen appliance!

cdr

cdrGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

BKE825 Serious Fire Hazard

Of course 1 month out of warranty.
BKE825 kettle just kept boiling.
Smoke started coming out of base controller which in turn set the fire alarm off.
Very lucky alarm went off and I was near by!!
Do not Buy !!

Purchased in August 2018 at Stan Cash Brooklyn for $89.99.

Steve

Steve

Rust bucket disguised as a kettle

I have had three of these over the last few years, every single one was a warranty return.
By twelve months of use with regular cleaning using documented process in the manual, yes I rtfm, these kettles have without fail rusted between the lid and the rim of the kettle. The soft open lid has just failed this morning as well.
I am done with this product even though my current kettle is still under warranty, I can not be bothered driving to the store to exchange for the same sub standard product.
Another poor quality product off to landfill.

Purchased in November 2017.

ADJ

ADJPerth, WA

Doesn't actually boil water!!

Purchased in March 2016 at The Good Guys.

kgmgim

kgmgim

Variable temperature control

We received this kettle as a warranty replacement to a prior Breville temperature select model (BKE720BS).
This model is quieter & heats faster than our previous kettle.
It’s easy to both fill & see the water quantity.
I like how you can select the desired water temperature directly from the five option control panel.
I didn’t read the above reviews & unfortunately don’t hold my breath that this will last beyond x2 years.

Purchased in July 2019 at Myer Retail Stores.

Noise Level
rachel

rachelGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great features but doesn't last

After having this kettle for eight months the seal on the lid cracked then the lid fell apart. I love the features and the different temperature settings but the durability is very poor. I did make a warranty claim and that was handled magificently, but it was too late I have purchased what I hope is a more durable kettle. Base on this I am unable to recomend it. I now have a spare kettle.

Purchased in October 2018 at Aussie PC Shop.com for $50.00.

Dartshopper

DartshopperGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Doesn't last - Don't waste your money

This kettle has lasted less than 2 years. It either switches off before boiling or boils continuously and doesn't switch off. Disappointing and not worth the money. Would not recommend.

Purchased in July 2017 at Noel Leeming Physical store for $70.00.

Don't buy

Yes purchased this kettle in 2014. One week before replacement warranty it stopped working. Luckily myer replaced it, so that was 2016. Now two months after warranty has finished the replacement has stopped working. Seems they only last two years. Will not buy a breville again. It's a shame most end up in land fill. Lift your game breville. Just not good enough.

Date PurchasedSept 2014