Doesn't actually boil water!!

Bought this kettle a couple of years ago for my wife who loves a good cup of tea. We have a lot of Breville products and have always been very happy with them so didn't hesitate to fork out close to $200 for this kettle as I figured it'd be a good investment. Boy was I wrong!!

First issue it does boil water anymore!! We turn it on and it starts to sound like its heating the water then it beeps like its finished and turn off but the water is still cold. Press the button again and it starts to boiled again.. Repeat this process 3 to 5 times and we eventually get a hot cuppa some 15 mins later

Second issue the plastic ring in the lid has cracked due to heat from the steam generated. From a top of the range $200 kettle. Come on Breville this just isn't good enough.

Third issue. The kettle just randomly starts beeping like its turning off and on. This can go on for a very long time - basically as long as you can stand it and get up and unplug the kettle for the wall.

Extremely disappointed in this kettle. It's out of warranty and like everything we don't have the receipt anymore so just wanted to let everyone know not to waste their money on this item.

Lift your game breville. You can do much better than this!!

Purchased in March 2016 at The Good Guys.

Variable temperature control

We received this kettle as a warranty replacement to a prior Breville temperature select model (BKE720BS).
This model is quieter & heats faster than our previous kettle.
It’s easy to both fill & see the water quantity.
I like how you can select the desired water temperature directly from the five option control panel.
I didn’t read the above reviews & unfortunately don’t hold my breath that this will last beyond x2 years.

Purchased in July 2019 at Myer Retail Stores.

Noise Level

Great features but doesn't last

After having this kettle for eight months the seal on the lid cracked then the lid fell apart. I love the features and the different temperature settings but the durability is very poor. I did make a warranty claim and that was handled magificently, but it was too late I have purchased what I hope is a more durable kettle. Base on this I am unable to recomend it. I now have a spare kettle.

Purchased in October 2018 at Aussie PC Shop.com for $50.00.

Doesn't last - Don't waste your money

This kettle has lasted less than 2 years. It either switches off before boiling or boils continuously and doesn't switch off. Disappointing and not worth the money. Would not recommend.

Purchased in July 2017 at Noel Leeming Physical store for $70.00.

Don't buy

Yes purchased this kettle in 2014. One week before replacement warranty it stopped working. Luckily myer replaced it, so that was 2016. Now two months after warranty has finished the replacement has stopped working. Seems they only last two years. Will not buy a breville again. It's a shame most end up in land fill. Lift your game breville. Just not good enough.

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Don’t waste your cash

Started playing up after 12 months and now (18months old) won’t work at all. Started failing to heat to desired temperature, now will not heat at all. Turns itself off and on, beeps incessantly and is a complete waste of cash and bench space. Save your cash and just buy a normal kettle!!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Don’t bother buying it.

This is the second kettle. The first one I thought was good for ages and then it started to not turn off. Just kept boiling. I bought another about 3/4 months ago and now this is doing the same thing. So annoyed that this is happening. Not buying a breville kettle again.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

If only you could give 0 stars!

If there was ever a time to invoke Derryn Hinch, it’s for this kettle- shame!!! This was my second one to replace the previous one which stopped working and after a less than easy return process with Breville (think walking over broken glass), this one has lasted - 6 months:(
This has to be the most overpriced, useless piece of junk I have bought ever! Will not be going back for a third - have chucked it in the bin and will go with another brand...

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Very expensive kettle that should last longer than 15 months !

Very expensive kettle I bought around 15 months ago, died today 3 months after the warranty run out. I am sure these modern day appliances have a self destruct mechanism built in place timed to die just after the warranty expires. This kettle, which I paid around $130 for, started out fine for the first 6 months or so making temperature specific brews, although it is a very LOUD kettle which we noticed straight away. The errors started with it turning off at random times, not turning on at all, the lid cracked last month and it has blown several surge safe power boards. Today I walked into the kitchen to find it had boiled dry, not turned itself off, so I filled it up and turned it back on and watched it continue to boil without turning off which is very dangerous. Never buying Breville again !! Back to the old spare Bellini BTK615 which still works fine after several years operation, it does struggle to turn off at 100 deg so I just set it at 90 and it's shuts off no worries, but that description is for a different review ;)

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Don't buy this kettle

Disappointing for such an expensive kettle. Started to play up (turning off, beeping for no reason), just before the 2yr warranty was up. Contacted Breville was advised to take it to it's repair agent, I didn't as had read here that the repair agent will give you a new base and after a short the faults will repeat themselves. I had bought their previous model had no issues, ran for years, really disappointed in this model. What happened Breville?

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Go for a basic kettle or use the stove. Does not perform for the purpose it was built.

This kettle is very temperamental, it works sometimes. On black tea it boils furiously lid popping up, steam every where. Other times it then stops after 3 seconds. Have to pull out the cord, change settings for it to work. Making tea everyday is an adventure.
Breville you're giving yourself a bad name. People will wake up one day and stop using appliances if they are only built only to be replaced.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Great when it works but stopped working after a day

Got the kettle home and had a few cups of tea at the various settings and perfect! The following day went to make a coffee and it was lukewarm. It keeps turning itself off before it even gets hot! Have to take it back to try and return under warranty, not happy!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Best kettle we have owned

Excellent to be able to select desired temperature.

80 degrees for green tea is perfect doesn't burn the tea which gives a bitter tea.

The keep warm feature is also great.

Can't flaw it, it's perfect for what we want, would never go back to a dumb kettle after this.

I was tossed up between this and the sunbeam smart one with a digital display which i thought was great but the quality of the breville just won hands down and we ended up getting a cool ice blue variant only available at harvey norman - https://www.harveynorman.com.au/breville-the-smart-kettle-ice.html

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Lean mean beeping machine

If you're in the market for a dedicated beeping machine with the added bonus of it boiling water then this is definately the device for you!!
It beeps when you turn it on, lift it up or put it back on the base, it beeps, press any button, it beeps, even after boiling water it beeps, if you like an appliance that beeps alot you will surely fall in love the Breville BKE825.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Very bad kettle I have ever used

Pick this up On special due to my old one being quite old I was happy with the look and the way blends into my Kitchen. after one year the kettle has died I will not purchase the same and look into different brands stay away. One of the Worst

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Same old faulty overpriced machine

Died just after two years. The world's most over priced piece of junk. Started to fail with random beepings till finally permanently packed up just outside warranty. If only we had read these reviews before buying it. Five words : AVOID AT ALL COSTS and you simply can't go wrong buying any other product than Breville. First time I have had a kettle die on me, and an unbelievably pricey one too.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Fails to work after about 2-3 years regular household use. Disappointing for such an expensive kettl

Save your money by not buying this kettle! Fails to work after about 2-3 years regular household use. (Disappointing for such an expensive kettle.) We have had two of these "Smart" Kettles and found that after a while the temperature mechanism or thermostat fails to boil at the specified temperature, then over-boils at 100 degrees, then fails to boil at 100 degrees selection, then finally fails to boil at any temperature setting. We suspect there is a fault (not covered by warranty) in the "Smart" base, but I frankly expect more reliability from a simple household electronic appliance. Engineered to fail regularly and predictably??

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Died 6 months past warranty

Was working fine then stopped boiling, after 18 months, seems to be the element as smart base thinks its boiling. Shame such a pricey kettle is a gimmick. Purchased the smart toaster, started failing 3 months out of warranty, think we will go back to sunbeam. The laws here seem to promote dodgy products, 12 months minimum warranty is a joke. I could make appliances out of paper mache that last longer than the minimum 12 months.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

If you're prepared to buy a new one every few years, go for it. Otherwise stay away.

We're on our third one of these (and also three of the previous version, the BKE820).
The only reason we buy these is because we drink so much green and white tea and the ability to bring the kettle to 80 or 85 degrees is great.

BUT... They repeatedly fail.
Our previous BKE820 failed numerous times and Breville refused to replace the last one, even though it was experiencing exactly the same problems. And even though we were disgusted by Breville's bad customer service, stupidly we bought the follow up BKE825. And still regret it.

1. The electrics fail.
Sometimes it turns on by itself (but doesn't start boiling). Sometimes it turns off by itself before it's finished boiling. Sometimes it goes into keep warm mode by itself. A lot of the time the kettle when it's set to 100 degrees it won't turn off. It's quite random.

2. We have also found that the temperature is inconsistent.
Sometimes 90 degrees or 95 degrees will clearly boil the water.
Almost seems to be a thermostat problem.

3. The lid also fails.
After a while it seems the button to open the lid wears and it fails to open sometimes. This is also random and I haven't been able find any way to fix this.

These are pretty much the same problems that affected the previous version of the kettle. And again Breville refused to offer a replacement now as the current one that's faulty (which was replaced under warranty) is now out of the original warranty period (of the first 825 model we purchased), even though the problems are clearly endemic to the specific product.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

After 2 years it starts to turn on and off better off to purchase a cheaper one that can last

Not reliable but looks great it works till recently it turns on and off and beeps every now and then , it can be a bit noisy , for a lot cheaper kettle you have a lot more options , hope Breville will improve the kettle and increase the warranty.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

My kettle turns on, as in the red light illuminates the on/off button, but the kettle wont boil on any of the temp settings. Any idea what is wrong and what component i need to replace?? Cheers
At Breville, our aim is to deliver innovative product and a premier consumer experience. This experience should not be occurring and may require additional troubleshooting or service. Please give us the opportunity to correct the situation by contacting our dedicated customer care team at 1300 139 798 (M-F, 8am-5pm) or at askus@breville.com.au

I just got my kettle today, I switched it on and have run it a couple of times then I moved it to another spot and now when I switch it on the keep warm button and the start/cancel button flash then turn straight off, I don’t know what I can try? Or is it a fault? Thank you.
I would return it and get it replaced under warranty.

Can you let me know the length of the warranty on this kettle? Many thanks. Sally Wright
12 months. I took mine back to Myer and they exchanged for one of my choice and I just paid the difference. I bought a Morphy Richards kettle. Simple no bells and whicStandard 1 year warranty

Breville Smart Kettle Stainless Steel (BKE825BSS)Breville Smart Kettle Ice (BKE825ICE)Breville Smart Kettle Charcoal (BKE825CHR)Breville Smart Kettle Frosting (BKE825FRO)Breville Smart Kettle Cranberry (BKE825CRN)Breville Smart Kettle Black Sesame (BKE825BKS)Breville Smart Kettle Sherbet (BKE825SH)Breville Smart Kettle Elderberry Blue (BKE825EL)
CategoryElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric Kettles
Price (RRP) $189.95$179.95$189.95
Capacity1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L
Features360° Swivel Base, BPA Free, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge
Variable Temperatures YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Construction Material Stainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless Steel
Colour / Finish Brushed Stainless SteelIce, CharcoalCharcoalFrostingCranberryBlack SesameSherbetElderberry Blue
Power2,400 W2,400 W2,400 W2,400 W2,400 W2,400 W2,400 W2,400 W
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)

Visit official website - Download manual