Breville Kettle & Toaster BKT500

Perfect for 1-2 people. Compact, convenient.

Where can I get another one - or something similar?
Had ours for about 5 years and the kettle on/off switch cracked and broke so we will get rid of it for safety.
Likes:
- two common-use appliances on one cord was a surprisingly practical and convenient way to use less power points in the kitchen
- 1L jug was the perfect size for two and faster (thus cheaper) to boil for those who fill the kettle even if only need one cup
- compact size really helped in a limited space kitchen
Dislikes:
- wish it had lasted longer
- doesn’t seem to be in production any more

Date PurchasedJun 2014

I loved it, and I had two, but both lids stopped functioning too.

I had one in our gooseneck and one in our small kitchen. The both functioned fine. However the lid from the one in the house stopped clicking shut so we had to put something heavy on it to make it boil. Shortly after the lid from the one in the gooseneck (lesser used) also stopped shutting. We did get a few good years out of it though and I can't find anything else similar to it that only required the one cord.

Date PurchasedJun 2011

Great I want another one!

Purchased this nearly 6-8 years ago and still going strong! I want another one for our boat having limited bench space in the galley. Anyone seen anything similar? The only thing that doesn't work is the light when you start the jug. Fantastic idea for two appliances with only one cord.

Date PurchasedMar 2009

Mal-functioning lid Breville Combo Kettle BKT500

Have had this combo for over 6 years. Purchased when I down-sized to a house with very small kitchen and used constantly, the lid opener died about a year ago. Breville no help - discontinued product; couldn't find another, online or in out-of-way electrical stores where I hoped to come across long-held stock, during which time I prised the lid open. Asked my handy bro-in-law to make a stainless swivelling clip (secured by a stainless screw) on outer rim at top of kettle and situated opposite the lid spring and handle. Out of action for about 3 days, during which he cleaned gunk from the opener spring, and cut and fitted a swivel clip he made from a piece of off-cut stainless of same gauge as kettle body. Back in business! It is a shame Breville did not persevere with this model, and spend a little to adapt it to eliminate the problems. I thought a lot about the 2-in-1 risk before purchasing, but took the chance because it was a perfect size for my situation; am sure that, with modifications to address the short-comings (lid opener/spring) it would still be an attractive purchase for many people.

Compact, classy and works perfectly

The Breville Kettle/Toaster combo frees up valuable kitchen bench space and its flat aluminium finish looks classy as well. We've had ours for 3 years now and it still works and looks as good as new. The kettle has an easy to remove filter and is very easy to clean and de-scale.

Hi Irate - thanks for your comments. The Breville team

Great idea but not when it breaks.

The kettle lid/release catch broke after two years. Unfortunately that means a new kettle and a new toaster. I have learned my lesson about combos which is: great idea but expensive when they go wrong as all the units must be replaced. Breville does not, will not, can not repair. My advise is stay well clear of this combo. Rather invest in separate items from a manufacturer who backs its products with service.

Perfect kettle and toaster

I bought this kettle 6 years ago and love it. It's compact design means I can keep it out all the time in my small kitchen. I hope it continues to work for more years to come as I haven't seen them sold in shops for a while now. Would highly recommend it.

Lids keep breaking!

I have had two of these and I was very happy with the first one so when the lid broke I replaced the jug with a new one but now the lid on the second jug has also broken, not good enough!!

Great till it breaks!

Perfect combination, around twelve months old - it now trips the safety switch if I use the toaster. Very disappointing.

Perfect for small kitchens

We bought this kettle/toaster combo 5 years ago & has been perfect for our Kitchen as we don't have a lot of bench space. We've had no problems until now, where the lid of the kettle and the button to start the kettle is playing up. I will probably replace with the same item. My only concern when i originally purchased is that if one component stops working (which in my case the kettle) then the other component (toaster) that still works fine goes to waste. The size is probably not suited to large families... with visitors i'd often need to boil the kettle more than once as it doesn't hold a lot of water, also it's only a 2 slice toaster. The kettle is also quite loud and with new 'quiet boil' kettles on the market it would be good to see this item updated to have this feature.
Compact design
Kettle: Broken lid / start button. Loud to boil.

Love it!

I have a small kitchen so this has been an ideal space saver. Very efficient and I haven't had any trouble with it so far. Purchased it about 3 years ago. Love the compact, simple design and safety features. Would even consider buying another one in case these go out of stock!
Efficient, compact space saver

What a shame Breville has discontinued this item. I've had mine for over 6 years now and still going strong. :)

Excellent but short performance

The lid on mine packed up too and now the toaster has an electrical fault. It's 4 years old and I expected longer than that. It's a great size for a couple and used to toast perfectly from frozen or fresh bread. I will buy another if I can find one.
Great size for a couple, perfect toast
Lid broke after 3 years the toaster triggered safety switch 6 months later

This is a great space saving combo for the small unit or family. Only two toasts and fairly small kettle. The toaster and kettle work together if required. The lid to mine has just packed up after three years. Probably not worth fixing so I will be buying another one.
Size, good styling.
Three years use - don't really know if that is good or not.