VerifiedMPNs:409005, 5325 and BKE495BSS

Not particularly durable

John13
John13Perth, WA163 posts
  Top Review

Some serious materials defects and safety hazards on this kettle - it should be condemned

At the outset, I am pro-Breville as I believed that their products are better than most. But my accident with the Breville Soft Top™ Clear BKE495BSS kettle has dented my confidence in the brand wholesomely. On Saturday, the 12th June 2021, just after boiling water, the handle snapped clean off just as I was lifting the near-full kettle from the multi-directional base. As the "soft top" lid forms part of the handle mechanism, the kettle lid blew open simultaneously with boiling water flying everywhere. I really was not expecting anything like this to happen so almost dropped the kettle. During my instinctive attempt to regain my grip on the handle I received burns to my right hand and midriff area. I now see this type of breakage is common on this kettle. And due to the obvious serious materials defects and safety hazards on the Breville Soft Top™ Clear BKE495BSS kettle, it should be condemned outright. Furthermore, I am very surprised by the absence of responses by Breville - which in itself is totally unacceptable. I have looked after this kettle from day one and albeit out of warranty, this should never have happed - period. But see the pictures - Breville should take cognizance of, and ownership accordingly and therefore should address these latent defects with immediate effect.
Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
Peter.M.O.
Peter.M.O.Sydney, NSW7 posts
  Top Review

Great Kettle

I have now had the ease, and pleasure of using this appliance since Oct, 2015. I find the item to boil quickly, and quietly; with a handy unobtrusive "ding" to advise me that the kettle has finished boiling the water. It does have a cut-out timer after the boiling has ceased, but after approximately a minute you are able to once again boil water. The only item of concern would be if you have small children. The exterior wall of the kettle, as expected is scalding hot so I would suggest situating the kettle in a safe area away from little hands.

Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
Theresa Griffiths
Theresa GriffithsOxenford14 posts

Works like it should

I bought one for the inlaws for a present i loved it that much a few years later i got one when we needed a new one i love it boils great easy to clean good start button. Don't hard core clean out side as water marks rub off.
We have had ours 4 yrs now. Never skips a beat. Show details
Stewart H NZAuckland17 posts

Looks good, ready to break

Looks good. Noisy. Takes a lot of boiling before it turns off. Water level difficult to see. Lid becoming slow to open after 1 year so according to other reviews I am expecting it to break in the next year. Nice to hold fill and pour. Show details
MG Leesha6 posts

Pretty but weak

This kettle looks good and works fine until the soft open lid fails. It is the weakest link. The soft open gradually stopped working, then when trying to manually close the lid the entire mechanism mistracked and completely snapped off. So I now have a functioning kettle and a nice separately snapped lid. I could boil water if I wanted to but I would have to turn it off myself. Funny how Kambrook can make the worlds ugliest kettle for $20 and it will never die, living on in back rooms since the 90s. I have so many Breville products and this one is a pretty disappointment. Did not make it to 2 years. I expect so much more for a stainless steel product. Do yourself a favour and skip it. Show details
Liberty
LibertyBrisbane10 posts

Good until the lid failed

I bought this kettle less than a year ago and it was working well until the lid no longer closed. I have temporarily used masking tape to keep it down, but it makes it fiddly to refill via the spout. It is otherwise well-made, feels robust, boils quickly and the soft ding sound is pleasant to the ear. I would consider repurchasing this brand, perhaps in a newer model.

UltrapacIllawarra, NSW17 posts

Almost perfect

Solid Feel. Great Ergonomics. Handle done right, and a soft touch open. It's metal, so it's not going to split at the sprout, like previous plastic kettles have done. Looks good, feels good, and I'd spent an hour trying various kettles at a Goodguys and Harvey.. Only a 1 year Warranty..and you have to remember it's metal, so the outside gets hot. Really hot. but not the handle.. I've very pleased with it

Melrick
MelrickNewcastle, NSW11 posts
Wil
WilSydney, NSW48 posts

Breville Kettle Handle - broke into pieces a few days after 1 year warranty has expired

Bought Breville The Soft Top Clear Kettle Stainless Steel from Catch of the day to replace our old but still working electric kettle - Regretting it now big time! Breville kettle's handle broke into pieces when I lift it after boiling water - very dangerous. Used the old kettle for more than 10 years - Breville kettle has 1 year life span only - Disappointing - Catch only offers 1 year warranty - the manufacturer's warranty. Will never buy Breville. Catch is still selling the same model. Disappointed with Catch for selling substandard product without offering help to customers.

teddydenise
teddydeniseDarling Downs, QLD12 posts

Excellent Purchase

I love this Kettle, it does what it is supposed to do, very well. I went for the red model as it matches the rest of my appliances, but there are other colour options available. It is quite inexpensive compared to some other kettles. I highly recommend this kettle, particularly if you are looking for a stylish one on a tight budget.

SHIM
SHIM

Noisy noisy noisy

If you want to wake the whole house this kettle is for you. Horrible kettle, sounds like a spaceship taking off. Will be returning to the shop for a full refund. This day and age there should be no need for such noise from a modern kettle. Buyer beware do your research

BusyMum 6798
BusyMum 6798Sydney, NSW16 posts

Great Kettle

This has been a great kettle ! Very easy to use, looks great, soft "bing" sound when water comes to the boil (doesn't wake other family members). Easy to fill with water from the tap and clear water level marking. Handle is sturdy but comfortable to hold when pouring water. Would definitely purchase again ! Thanks Breville.

channy
channySydney, NSW12 posts

safety issue

i got my first breville kettle on november 2016 and got issue with it (it kept boiling the wate and didn't automatic turn off). I had returned and exchanged for another one and now this one doing the same thing. it's really wasting time to go back and forth to return it. i felt really annoy.

Rajni
RajniMelbourne4 posts

Very loud

I have just bought this kettle from jb hi fi as I thought I can never go wrong with breville. But after buying this kettle I got very frustrated with this brand. It makes very loud noise during boiling the water and takes longer comparison to my old kambrook kettle.

I won't recommend this to anyone. Not good product from breville at that high price.

Breville
Breville   DM

Hi Rajni - if you have the receipt please return to the place of purchase for refund. Thanks, the Breville team

S.Lou
S.Lou2 posts

Terrible kettle don't buy it

I Had this kettle for a total of 2 days. It didn't shut off when it boiled and blew the circuit breaker for the whole house. It was relatively noisy boiling and I spent a considerable amount of time researching what kettle was good and Breville is usually a very reliable product. I was Totally disappointed.

Breville
Breville   DM

Hi S.Lou - we hope you were easily able to return this kettle to the place of purchase. The Breville team

Anna Zaffino

Hi I have the BKE735 Soft Top Luxe kettle in the last few weeks I have noticed that the bell does not ding at all. The water boils but no bell. Also when you first turn it on it is noisier than it used to be almost like crackling sound. Can you advise at all kettle is about 1 yr old.

Stewart H NZ

Hi Anna, I suggest contacting the seller. This is a review site but the point is noted. My bell is still ringing after all these years.

localbudgie
localbudgie

I have just bought the Breville BKE 495 kettle from David Jones. I suppose it is self explanatory to use but I would like to know if the clear window gauge should be lit as it is very very difficult to see how far it has been filled. Thank you.Geri

MG Leesha

No it doesnt light up. Super annoying.

Ultrapac

Only the Button lights up.. Normally fine in a well lit kitchen area.

Rusty Jacks
Rusty Jacks

Where is the breville soft open kettle batch code and the offer code as I've looked everywhere on, under, around, in the booklet, even on the receipt and can't find either of these for me to register this product for warranty . The model number is BKE445 as it's not in the "select Model" option in the next question

John63
John63

The model I've got is BKE425 not BKE445. The batch code is on the outside of the box, however the offer code I have no idea as I received this item as a present.

Kind regards, H2me

See all Breville Clear BKE495 questions

Features:

• The Breville Clear BKE495 has dual sided, BPA-free windows to make it easy to see how much water is in your kettle.
  • It also has a soft opening lid that slowly releases steam and helps prevent hot water from splattering out.
  • Auto shut off once your water reaches its boiling point ensures that the appliance isn’t using more energy than necessary.
  • It’s made of brushed stainless steel.
  • The kettle has a 1.7L (7 cup) capacity.

What have reviewers thought of the Breville Clear BKE495 so far?

Reviewers of the Breville Clear BKE495 were mixed. Among positive reviews, users praised how easy the kettle was to clean. They also said that it boiled water quickly and quiety.

One notable point of pain that some reviewers had was with the kettle’s soft top lid, which gradually stopped working and for some, eventually snapped off. Users who noted this said that this happened within the first two years of use.

CategoryElectric Kettles