Breville Soft Top

Noisy and lasted less then 2 years

I found this kettle to be extremely noisy ,the loudest kettle Ive ever had. I bought it in 20 April 2017 and it stopped working today 24 February 2019 past the guarantee period . Not happy.I wouldl expect an expensive kettle to continue working for a reasonable period not less then two years.

Purchased in April 2017.

Noise Level

Good until the lid failed

I bought this kettle less than a year ago and it was working well until the lid no longer closed. I have temporarily used masking tape to keep it down, but it makes it fiddly to refill via the spout. It is otherwise well-made, feels robust, boils quickly and the soft ding sound is pleasant to the ear. I would consider repurchasing this brand, perhaps in a newer model.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Seems great! I've only one thing I dislike about it so far.

Seems like a great little kettle, I purchased it from Bing Lee recently from the first time I tried it ive been quite happy with my purchase.

Pros:
- Water does actually taste a lot nicer compared to what my old kettle gave.
- Very easy to view the amount of water in the kettle with the twin water level windows, thankfully they aren't sealed either, so I don't need to worry about anything that might get into the kettle getting stuck in there.
- Pouring spout is adequately large enough to fill straight from a standard faucet. (I know the kettle is designed for top filling, but it's convenient.)
- Heats water nice and quickly and also has handy safeguards for auto shutoff and boil-dry protection.
- Concealed element means nothing can get stuck under or around it, making the kettle a lot easier to clean.
- Nice loud bell to let me know when my water is heated.

Cons:
- Metal sides of the kettle do become quite hot during operation and remain hot as long as there is hot water in the kettle. - The only areas that are ok to touch are the handle and the on/off switch.

I do hope this kettle lasts a decent amount of time.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

The base of this kettle is unstable

There is a major design flaw with this kettle - the base is unstable and causes the kettle to rock around the central axis. If you look closely at the base you will see that the sides curve upward, like a spinning top. Also, the kettle does not fit securely into the base and wobbles around. It is a very strange design for a kettle base, and was probably driven by aesthetics rather than functionality or safety. It's a shame. I usually like Breville appliances, but I had to return this one to David Jones in Sydney because the instability does not feel safe. .

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Almost perfect

Solid Feel. Great Ergonomics. Handle done right, and a soft touch open. It's metal, so it's not going to split at the sprout, like previous plastic kettles have done. Looks good, feels good, and I'd spent an hour trying various kettles at a Goodguys and Harvey.. Only a 1 year Warranty..and you have to remember it's metal, so the outside gets hot. Really hot. but not the handle.. I've very pleased with it

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Okay, not great

It certainly doesn't boil water quietly, but I'm personally not fussed about that, just as long as it actually boils water, which it does. As far as boiling time is concerned, it's not really any better or worse than most kettles we've had; it's about average.

But now the things I don't like. When it finished boiling, it used to make a little 'ding' sound, which was honestly far too quiet. If you weren't in the room when it finished then you'd be hard pressed to hear it. After 12 months, though, it doesn't make any sound at all now when it finishes boiling; it just stops. Also, the plastic window is that horrible dark green colour, making it incredibly difficult to actually see where the water level is. This annoys me no end, and Breville really need to stop using that.

Look, the kettle boils water, which is useful with a kettle. But honestly, the green window alone would be enough to stop me from buying this again, or any other kettle using that. I want to be able to actually SEE where the water is without spending extra time holding it up, saying "Is that the water there?".

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Everything you need from a kettle

I bought this to replace my Sunbeam that had an element in it. I love that this Breville doesn't! Not only is it an attractive kettle for your kitchen, it is easy to keep clean (stainless steel). The pop up lid is convenient to allow the top to open to avoid getting burnt (as I did on my previous one)

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good Sturdy kettle

I have had no problems with my Breville which is 'the Soft Top Dual Kettle BKE425' like I did with my previous kettle. I got this through a reward points for free, so I can't complain if the thing gives up bit I'm sure its better than my last whiz bang model that cost $200 and lasted not even 14 months. lol This Breville 'the Soft Top Dual Kettle BKE425' is sturdy, pretty quite, a good design and does everything that its suppose to do (so far) and its quality is excellent. Its not a sophisticated kettle and its simple design is what attracted me to it as I had a previous kettle of triple the price, which was complete and utter rubbish so don't go by the price alone. Well done Breville and hopefully I can keep this kettle for boiling just water for a few more years (like at least 5+ years???) and not like some of the other rubbish kettles that are around which only lasts 12-14 months.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Bad kettle

Kettle lasted 2 years and has since died. Don't waste your money on expensive kettles like this one!! Have since bought a cheap one from K Mart which boils the water just as efficiently. Will never buy another expensive kettle to simply boil water, better off saving my money on something else.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Breville Kettle Handle - broke into pieces a few days after 1 year warranty has expired

Bought Breville The Soft Top Clear Kettle Stainless Steel from Catch of the day to replace our old but still working electric kettle - Regretting it now big time! Breville kettle's handle broke into pieces when I lift it after boiling water - very dangerous. Used the old kettle for more than 10 years - Breville kettle has 1 year life span only - Disappointing - Catch only offers 1 year warranty - the manufacturer's warranty. Will never buy Breville. Catch is still selling the same model. Disappointed with Catch for selling substandard product without offering help to customers.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Quiet brilliant kettle

Love this kettle . Quiet, boils very quickly love the soft close of the lid easy to see the water level! Plus I have bought the toaster to match. Love the colour. Very appealing. Easy to use. . Good service at the good guys where I bought it from. It was more expensive than I would normally pay but I now see why after using it daily

Re design needed

We bought this Luxe (BKE735) kettle and matching blueberry-Granita toaster from the Good Guys at Aspley..
Kettle needs redesign as Water level viewing impossible without opening top.
Opening the top can be problematic, as a recently boiled kettle gives a steam bath to your hand.
Love the Colour blueberry, beautiful.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

I love ii!

I bought this kettle and matching (blue) toaster to replace two !! leaking Morphy Richards kettles. I love my new kettle it boils and a little bell tinkles and it doesn’t leak, I like the way the lid slowly opens, and unlike some other reviews, I can read the water level window - what more could you ask for from a kettle?

Love this kettle

Absolutely love my new kettle. Its very quiet and boils extremely quickly. Best kettle i have had to date. I bought the licorice colour and as the title says it certainly looks lux in my kitchen. It is on the expensive side but im loving how super quick it boils and looks.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Excellent Purchase

I love this Kettle, it does what it is supposed to do, very well. I went for the red model as it matches the rest of my appliances, but there are other colour options available. It is quite inexpensive compared to some other kettles. I highly recommend this kettle, particularly if you are looking for a stylish one on a tight budget.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Sorry I bought one, never again for this brand.

The kettle looks good, that's it. It is seriously noisy, too heavy, hard to see the water level. The most serious issue was the taste of burnt plastic, similar to the water taste from a new garden hose. We boiled it 15 times to be sure but the taste still persisted. The retailer believed the no BPA and defended it. We wanted a refund but the Breville rep refused. We just could not drink from it. The extra hundred dollars is not worth it for a slow opening lid. The mechanism is complex plastic and all inside the kettle. This did not perform to our expectations. We have replaced it with a Delongi and no problems straight away as it is all stainless, no plastic.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Nice looking but that is all,

Quit heavy.
You have to lift the kettle to eye level to check the water level trough the side glass.
The see trough lid is useless, as soon the water get warm it fogs up an you can see trough it any more.
A big design fault is that when you open the lid the condensation from the inside of the lid, drips partly into the lid open and close mechanism , partly along the handle into the switch, the rest of the water runs along the side on to base.
There are (drain) holes in the base to let the water drip on the bench, table or were ever.
We been told we used the kettle wrongly, we have to wait with refilling till the condensation on the inside of the lid is dried up. Whit the lid closed that can take three days or maybe longer.
This appliance should be taken of the shelf !!

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Good but noisy

This is a good kettle but very noisy as it heats up and boils. We have a plastic version of the brand at work and it seems to be quieter perhaps because it is plastic rather than steel? We've noticed it seems to boil for a long time before switching off as well. However, it is well made, looks good and is easy to use and clean. It is cordless and the water gauge on the side lets you know how much is in the jug without having to open the lid.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Functional, boils the water, however it can be improved.

This is an OK Kettle. It boils the water, so I can't complain. However, it is very difficult to see the waterline through the glass panel. Every time I want to boil some water I have to open the lid and check how much water is in the kettle. This does severely impinge on the functionality of the object, rendering the glass panel useless.

On a more positive note, the soft-opening top is nice, in addition to the sound it makes when the water is boiled.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Best of the Best

This kettle is quick boiling, stunningly stylish, easy to clean and fill, out performs my previous Dualit Kettles by miles. I would never go back to any other brand. The cord was way too long so an electrician shortened it so that it can sit by the dedicated power point and can't be moved near sink and running water.

Date PurchasedMar 2017