Breville the Soft Top Clear BKE495

Good until the lid failed

I bought this kettle less than a year ago and it was working well until the lid no longer closed. I have temporarily used masking tape to keep it down, but it makes it fiddly to refill via the spout. It is otherwise well-made, feels robust, boils quickly and the soft ding sound is pleasant to the ear. I would consider repurchasing this brand, perhaps in a newer model.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Almost perfect

Solid Feel. Great Ergonomics. Handle done right, and a soft touch open. It's metal, so it's not going to split at the sprout, like previous plastic kettles have done. Looks good, feels good, and I'd spent an hour trying various kettles at a Goodguys and Harvey.. Only a 1 year Warranty..and you have to remember it's metal, so the outside gets hot. Really hot. but not the handle.. I've very pleased with it

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Okay, not great

It certainly doesn't boil water quietly, but I'm personally not fussed about that, just as long as it actually boils water, which it does. As far as boiling time is concerned, it's not really any better or worse than most kettles we've had; it's about average.

But now the things I don't like. When it finished boiling, it used to make a little 'ding' sound, which was honestly far too quiet. If you weren't in the room when it finished then you'd be hard pressed to hear it. After 12 months, though, it doesn't make any sound at all now when it finishes boiling; it just stops. Also, the plastic window is that horrible dark green colour, making it incredibly difficult to actually see where the water level is. This annoys me no end, and Breville really need to stop using that.

Look, the kettle boils water, which is useful with a kettle. But honestly, the green window alone would be enough to stop me from buying this again, or any other kettle using that. I want to be able to actually SEE where the water is without spending extra time holding it up, saying "Is that the water there?".

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Breville Kettle Handle - broke into pieces a few days after 1 year warranty has expired

Bought Breville The Soft Top Clear Kettle Stainless Steel from Catch of the day to replace our old but still working electric kettle - Regretting it now big time! Breville kettle's handle broke into pieces when I lift it after boiling water - very dangerous. Used the old kettle for more than 10 years - Breville kettle has 1 year life span only - Disappointing - Catch only offers 1 year warranty - the manufacturer's warranty. Will never buy Breville. Catch is still selling the same model. Disappointed with Catch for selling substandard product without offering help to customers.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Excellent Purchase

I love this Kettle, it does what it is supposed to do, very well. I went for the red model as it matches the rest of my appliances, but there are other colour options available. It is quite inexpensive compared to some other kettles. I highly recommend this kettle, particularly if you are looking for a stylish one on a tight budget.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Noisy noisy noisy

If you want to wake the whole house this kettle is for you. Horrible kettle, sounds like a spaceship taking off. Will be returning to the shop for a full refund. This day and age there should be no need for such noise from a modern kettle. Buyer beware do your research

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great Kettle

This has been a great kettle ! Very easy to use, looks great, soft "bing" sound when water comes to the boil (doesn't wake other family members). Easy to fill with water from the tap and clear water level marking. Handle is sturdy but comfortable to hold when pouring water. Would definitely purchase again ! Thanks Breville.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

safety issue

i got my first breville kettle on november 2016 and got issue with it (it kept boiling the wate and didn't automatic turn off). I had returned and exchanged for another one and now this one doing the same thing. it's really wasting time to go back and forth to return it. i felt really annoy.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Very loud.

I have just bought this kettle from jb hi fi as I thought I can never go wrong with breville. But after buying this kettle I got very frustrated with this brand. It makes very loud noise during boiling the water and takes longer comparison to my old kambrook kettle.
I won't recommend this to anyone. Not good product from breville at that high price.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Rajni - if you have the receipt please return to the place of purchase for refund. Thanks, the Breville teamI have lost my reciept and i had paid some amount by jb gift card and rest by credit card. So I'm not sure if I can return now.

Terrible kettle don't buy it

I Had this kettle for a total of 2 days. It didn't shut off when it boiled and blew the circuit breaker for the whole house. It was relatively noisy boiling and I spent a considerable amount of time researching what kettle was good and Breville is usually a very reliable product. I was Totally disappointed.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi S.Lou - we hope you were easily able to return this kettle to the place of purchase. The Breville teamYes they accepted it with no questions thank you

Great kettle and still runnning

Bought it 2 years ago, it has been great but loud. Now it is starting to leak from the seal when boiling and pouring. I do notice that sometimes it keeps on going even the water is boil and this really scares me if it will explode. When this happens, the handle is really hot, and it scalded my hand the first few times it happen. Now just need to use precaution when using it. But then again, it last for very long time!

Date PurchasedJun 2014
Hi Clementt - please call customer service for assistance as a service agent may be needed - 1300 139 798. Thanks, the Breville team

Kettle keeps boiling

We bought this kettle to replace our old leaking kettle bought from supermarket (used it for 7 years). One week to using it, we notice that the kettle keeps boiling on some occasions. We timed it once to see how long it kept boiling... 2 minutes and it was still going. This is so dangerous. We will be returning it.

Hi Sue - if you need assistance returning the kettle please contact customer service on 1300 139 798. Thanks, the Breville team

There is a safety issue of this product

I purchased it one and half year ago and used it a couple of times a day. It was broken last Friday while I was boiling the water, that even caused the main switch of the power board off. It was a terrible experience and cost us $80 to call electrician in.

great kettle still going not dead yet lol

i have had this kettle for 3 years now and still going strong. i use it a few times a day
yes the kettle does get hot like everyone else has said.
i don't know if anyone else has noticed on their kettles that the water gauge markers have worn off?

Hi Techkal - thanks for your comments The Breville team

Love to heat up water? This is this appliance for you!

I use this kettle only a few times a week (for 4 months so far), but I have only had positive experiences with it. I have not found the boiling too noisy or intrusive, and the bell that signals completion is fine. Yes the outside of the kettle gets very hot, but this is why we invented handles. It's not easy to clean the inside of the kettle, but I try to take good care of it as I wish for it to last as long as possible.

Loud but works ok.

We have a Breville coffee machine and milkshake maker which have lasted for some time so we bought this to replace our leaking Sunbeam which lasted about 1 year. This kettle is much louder. It "dings" when it has boiled which is a joke. Firstly, you can hardly hear the "ding" over the noise and secondly, it makes so much noise that it doesn't need to ding anyway. The power switch has a flimsy feel to it.
On the plus side, water goes in cold and comes out hot and it is quick to boil. The lid opens slowly so it wont flick hot water on you which is a good feature.

Great Kettle

I have now had the ease, and pleasure of using this appliance since Oct, 2015. I find the item to boil quickly, and quietly; with a handy unobtrusive "ding" to advise me that the kettle has finished boiling the water. It does have a cut-out timer after the boiling has ceased, but after approximately a minute you are able to once again boil water. The only item of concern would be if you have small children. The exterior wall of the kettle, as expected is scalding hot so I would suggest situating the kettle in a safe area away from little hands.

OK but Annoying Ding and Condensation in the Lid

Replacing another Breville kettle that had broken. A noisy as the old one but boils quickly (so can boil during TV ads).

Hate the ding which sounds when putting the kettle back on the base too and the condensation showing in the clear lid - who needs a clear lid?

Extremely noisy

Can't talk while the kettle is boiling, it's extremely loud for my liking so I will be looking for a quieter model. Everything else is fine regarding the kettle
- it's BPA free.
- soft lid open is a bonus.
- double sided water level indicators.
- small bell ding when the water is boiled.

Unreliable Starter

Whilst the kettle boils quickly and always turns off, getting it to start is a real hit and miss. Rarely will it commence boiling with the first flick of the lever. Usually it flicks back up 2-3 times before it activates. And sometimes not straight away either. There can be a up to a 5 sec delay and then it will turn off. I've tried turning the kitchen once in the base, in case contact was a problem, but to no avail. Every other Breville kitchen product we have is great, so this must be our lemon. It is less than a year old, but unfortunately I can't find the receipt, so we'll just persevere. Ggrrrr.

Where is the breville soft open kettle batch code and the offer code as I've looked everywhere on, under, around, in the booklet, even on the receipt and can't find either of these for me to register this product for warranty . The model number is BKE445 as it's not in the "select Model" option in the next question
The model I've got is BKE425 not BKE445. The batch code is on the outside of the box, however the offer code I have no idea as I received this item as a present. Kind regards, H2me

Breville Sort Top Pure bss. Recently bought this model. I cannot find out any ifno on web ( i,e. reviews). Have concerns this model may be problematic. What can you tell me about it???
Im loving this kettle. Water boils extremely quickly and it is not noisy like my previous kettles. Also looke very stylish.

Hello I have a Breville Model SK45B Kettle for a long time. This morning couldn't boil water. The base of the kettle apparently notice water sipping. Could you please help?
Sorry, can't answer technical stuffMine has being doing the same thing Have to buy another electric water kettle and I would recommend you doing the same thing The breville was leaking on the sides and now leaking towards the middle which is very dangerous so will be buying a new electronic water hot water kettle in the very near future --- i.think the good guys electronic stores sell this model but, what I would recommend is filling the kettle up to the top a few times then boil only roughly a litre or less and the kettle will likely last a whole lot longer

CategoryElectric Kettles