Brother NS-50

Brother NS-50

4.3

clutchgirl

clutchgirlGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great machine for beginner to medium experienced sewer

Overall fantastic machine. I've sewed anything on it! even my wedding dress. Had the machine for ca.5 years never had to get it serviced (but now I know machines need to be serviced 1-2 years apart, will do that from now on) Used this machine few times a week, never gave me any hassles. If there are skipped stitches its my own fault, old needle or the wrong needle for the material. I would still have it if I didn't grow out of it, my interest turned to quilting. Sold it to upgrade to a Bernina long arm machine. Great first machine for anyone at young age starting out.

Donnaim

DonnaimCanberra

Generally reliable and robust

Overall a good machine. I have had some problems with the bobbin and bobbin tension including the bobbin case moving out of position. The needle threading is great as are the special stitches including lettering. Be aware it uses a different bobbin from other brother machines requiring a trip to the specialist brother dealer when more are needed. I have also had some issues with thicker fabric but changing to a denim needle and use of the walking foot helped
    Needle threading, speed controlled automatically rather than through foot control ( foot control is also availalbe)
    Bobbin tension is temperamental

Kay Scanlan-Whittaker

Kay Scanlan-WhittakerBakewell, NT

not overly impressed. won't buy another

My machine is only 2 years old and had moderate use, and fairly regular clean. It is missing stitches, knotting up the bobbin thread especially if material is a bit thick, and making loud noise. Definately not a workhorse if you are sewing denim or a few thickness of material.

I like the needle threader (when it works), the inbuilt stitches and the one-step button hole.
    inbuilt stitches and one-step button hole.
    Either I got a lemon or it wasn't built to be a workhorse

Karen 40
    Karen 40

In the 2 yrs you've had it how many times was it serviced?

Gee for the price of these machines they should be able to sew some denim easily even if its not that often?

Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Find out how Brother NS-50 compares to other Sewing Machines & Overlockers

This machine is in my opinion the perfect all rounder. Will satisfy any budding or intermediate quilter, aswell as any crafts person. Is fantastic value for money. Jam packed full of wonderful features with quality fittings. The machine is of good weight, won't bump around when sewing but won't give you a hernia to lift. Quiet and smooth running. Very easy to thread and the drop in bobbin is great.
    Excellent value. With the ability to do letter embroidery as well as all the necessary quilting stiches. Needle up/down button is great so is the atuomatic sew button. I love this machine, just runs beautifully and quietly
    Wish it came with the same 5 year warranty that the other Brother machines had. But I doubt I will need it