Car Next Door

This is cheap way to hire a car, its easy to register and plenty of local options. Will continue to use CND

Customer sevice was great when ive needed it
Bond was handled well
Vehical's both met my expectations
Moving a piece of equiptment and a day trip both successful trips with no issues

Vehicle TypeFord Transit

Handy service

There is a car in the next street that I’ve used several times. My experience has been very positive. The call centre was easy to deal with and helpful. I’m not sure how cost effective this is compared to standard car rental but it’s certainly more convenient if a car is close

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Handy service to have nearby

Good price for the vehicle, condition was fairly good and was perfect for the job. The photo taking section can be a bit of a hassle (especially if raining!) but only takes a few minutes and is handy to keep track of any scratches/damages etc. Really enjoyed it, perfect for short trips and pick ups of large gumtree furniture/Bunnings/Ikea run etc.

Love car next door

The whole concept works extremely well every time. Love the idea no longer need to own a car to live on Sydney. I can use public transport sometimes and car next door at other times

Vehicle TypeToyota Yaris
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Car Next Door are AWESOME !

What a great company !. They made it easy to get set up, answered all my questions promptly and clearly and even organised a follow up call after a couple of weeks to see how it was all going and help with any questions. Mike was simply brilliant on that call and was a local guy in Sydney with some great ideas to get my car rented. 10/10 Car Next Door and Mike - you Rock.

Never use this service

This service is a scam. When picked up, the car was already filled with scratches. We were then charged $560 for the scratches that wasn't caused by us even when provided the before and after trip photos. Extremely terrible customer service that won’t listen to us and that is completely biased towards the car owners. Needless to say my family would never use their service ever again and will be taking legal action. Would give 0 stars if I could.

Excellent service in all aspects

The price was really very competitive, the vehicle was like I was expected and in general everything was so practical and easy to handle. The vehicle was used for moving some personal stuff.

Great service with a great price

It’s a great service with a great price. I have rented one car twice with a great experience. One other car was a key ‘hand over’ and the owner never showed - however Car Next Door handled the situation very well (personally I will try to stick to ‘instant keys’ now). A little hard to upload photos on the app, but a minor issue. Definitely recommend.

It was quick easy and affordable.

The process to rent a car is quick and simple. The selection and convenience are what has attracted me to use the service. This perfect for a quick getaway trip.

Vehicle TypeMini Hatch Cooper
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Most easiest way to pick a car

Easy to pick the car and even transactions are pretty clear. My experience is really good. Not too expensive. When we are in a meed we can pick a car near by.

The most convenient way to move if you don’t need a car often enough

There is a lot of options and prices around my area. The key-box system makes it easy to pick and leave. Also it adapts to any of your needs (from small economic cars, to big vans to move anything).

Vehicle Condition
Vehicle TypeHyundai iLoad TQ-V (2008-Present)

Easy, convenient and affordable

Payment was handled well, refund of deposit was quick once requested.
Easy to use, especially with the app and lockbox.
Have used a small car for day trip and a van to move. Vehicles match description.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Exactly what I’ve been looking for!

From start to finish, Car Next Door is exactly the service I need. They are beyond easy to hire through the app and it always goes smoothly! Having recently gone carless, I occasionally need a car. With Car Next Door, I’m able to hire exactly the vehicle I need (van, large sedan, even a convertible!), all without the huge expense and hassle of traveling to a hire car depot. Easy peasy!

Vehicle TypeAudi A3
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Easiest and best way to get around.

Everything about car next door has been easy and gone according to plan. From booking to picking up, using the car and dropping back. And it all happens electronically. Excellent customer service.

Vehicle TypeSmall car
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Very convenient for short trips and running errands or moving big items

Lots of options near home. Highly recommended for short distance or moving, collecting items as they also have vans. Parking in some areas could be difficult and also need to consider the cost per km plus tolls might be higher than public transport if you're one or 2 people

Vehicle TypeToyota Corolla
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Fun to drive and great to borrow

I’ve always had big dreams of driving big cars but only have ever owned little ones. With Car Next Door you get the opportunity to try something new, such as borrowing a van to haul your possessions around for a move or higher a ute for a weekend camping extravaganza.

It doesn’t matter what your needs are (as long as it’s legit) you can hire and try another ride. And you know the car is going to be maintained cause it’s someone’s pride and joy.

So get your code, buckle- up and enjoy your new (temporary) ride.

Vehicle TypeVolkswagen Multivan

Smooth and easy

Our little family have been using Car Next Door a few times and will definitely use it again! The app is simple and easy to use and prices are fair. Looking forward to our next drive!

Keep moving.

The customer service is very good so that I can call in order to generate a PIN without the use of the app. The car was fine and served its purpose. I was really annoyed because the car was not where it was supposed to be and it took me 15min to locate it that ate into my booking time.

Vehicle TypeVolkswagen Transporter
Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Quick, easy, and flexible. How the sharing economy should work!

Great service. For me, all of the app functionality has worked great. Just some getting used to the procedures (take pictures before and after / where the lockboxes are located), but once you have it down its super easy. Rates are incredibly competitive especially for around town chores.
Thought that parking / location of the cars was going to be difficult without dedicated spaces, but I haven't had any problems with that either. Keep up the great work Car Next Door!

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Easy and reliable way to hire and enjoy :)

There are very friendly and supportive. They help us multiple time.
Payment is handled very well.
Yes vehicle received as the same which is booked.
I did use the vehicle for attending family functions. and it met my needs very well.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Ive been told that Car Next Door Owners have fleets of cars ( up to thirty) that they rent. So rather than living "next door" they live elsewhere and the cars take rare inner city parking spots. Given the rather high number of renters claiming that the vehicle they hired was damaged after it was returned, is it possible that frustrated residents are systematically damaging the cars? Don't you think the owners should actually live " next door" and sign out the car on hire and return to prevent disputes about damage and to prevent fleet owners abusing the concept?
I'm sorry Simon, I have no idea. I rented a van that was close to my daughter's apartment, that was my main criteria. I left it in a 2 hour parking zone, which the owner then went to to sort out the parking. I assume that means he lived very close to the drop off point. Living in an inner city area means you regularly can't actually park very near you home.Thanks Jaysee. No doubt some owners live locally and legitimately rent there car which is fine and a good idea. Also in this instance it would be possible to inspect the car with the owner so when you left you get no unpleasant surprises which a lot of renters seem to get when damage is attributed to them. My point was about people with multiple cars leveraging the concept to the detriment of locals. Additionally most hirers are told to leave the car in areas with no parking restrictions.

How can I contact the damage team? I was promised a call back, and an email back and I have been hung up on and I still have no way to talk to anyone from the damage team. I have been told they don't have a phone number!? Please help!!

Hi, what happens in the event that I hire a car and am driving out in the country and the car or rather the vehicle breaks down, do the vehicles hired, have road insurance?
Hi Arthur, there is free roadside assist from NRMA to help get the car back on the road if possible, but we recommend that you get travel insurance to cover any other costs associated with the interruption to your trip or finding alternative transport in the case of a breakdown.