Meg

MegGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Have to pay $700+ in fines for borrower caught speeding in my car.

Someone borrowed my car and was caught speeding twice in about 10 minutes. I have to pay the fines, which are over $700. CarNextDoor won't help. Customer service is awful. Very slow response times and it's always someone different so no one takes any responsbility

Thiha N.

Thiha N.Sydney, NSW

Worst car renting service

Very slow and unresponsive unless they want to ask for money or bills. I emailed them and call them three to four times in a week to solve my issue but no response. They did not even bother to reply my email. The worst thing is the vehicle i hired was in pretty bad condition and they did not even care about it.

SeajayMelbourne

Garbage

I joined up to car next door but beforehand had huge cars in my area and it looks like it was a really cheap and convenient. So I make my profile verified everything uploaded photos of my photo of my licences and myself and myself holding the licence and all the rest of it then looked for the same cars. None of those cars were available but much more expensive ones were that would take me over an hour to get to. Where did the local available inexpensive cars go? It would be cheaper to hire Rideshare all day.

MichaelCar Next Door

You may see fewer cars after you sign up if you indicate that you're not an experienced manual driver. We'll automatically exclude manual cars from the list of available cars.

Marius B.

Marius B.Sydney, NSW

Appalling.

Booked a car and then got locked out of app and so missed my booking and couldn't access my booked car. Have spent over an hour on hold on the phone trying to resolve this but cannot get through to anyone. Appalling customer service. Will never use this company again.

Sam Z

Sam ZGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Service was fine, have rented two trips now

Service was prompt when signing up
$150 taken as bond on first rent should be more obvious - wasn't clear until 'the last moment' - this isn't a good emotion for the renter (me)
Vehicle was as advertised
Used for running about Sydney while on trip over Easter.

Review collected in partnership with Car Next Door

Marco ASydney, NSW

Worse experience

Don't put your car for rent with @car next door. Worse customer service. They will charge you for everything and will leave you with less benefits every time they can. If you try to contact them, good luck. They will answer your call after 2 hours in the Philippines and won't know what to do. They will offer you services that they won't provide unless you pay extras (not agreed) and will promise that you will make certain amount per month that never come even close. For your own benefit, do not put your car on car next door.

Aayush Bhatta

Aayush BhattaSydney, NSW

this is awesome

thanks for easy access and payment. on time payment . easy reminder, automatic payment for the balance , super easy, thanks once again open pay. definitely recommend my friends about it. thanks

MichaelCar Next Door

Thanks for your review, Aayush! Do you have any feedback on how we could get a 5-star review?

Not worth renting through platform - borrower damage wasn't covered by their insurance

Borrower damaged car, carnextdoor wouldn't cover it because I had rented out my car too much on their platform. Very illogical customer service that took several months to get a response from.
Will recommend against friends putting their cars on the platform.

Sean P.

Sean P.

Use this company at your peril - Look at all of the negative reviews, complete shambles

Product Review, please allow 0 stars!!

Rented a van, went smoothly, found that it impacted my credit record, Michael dont bother to write we rent cars of private people, you should not be impacting people credit records.

Anyways, been trying to get the balanace out of my account for nearly 2 weeks, no repsonse from customer service, numerous emails, dont even bother to call. You cant get your money out of the app, you have to email them and request and as they dont respond, how the hell are you supposed to withdraw anything.

Do yourself a favour, use Avis, Budget, Hertz as using this compay Hurtz a Lot, STAY AWAY.

Naysrn

NaysrnSydney Surrounds, NSW

Rubbish Car And Poor Support Service

Rented a BLACK TOYOTA KLUGER 2006 with plate number YJU 10B last Saturday, it was very filthy inside and outside when picked up, totally opposite from the one advertised. Accidentally punctured rear tyre, called owner and car next door for roadside assist but NRMA denied the registration. No car jack (incomplete tools) as well. Managed to call emergency road assist and have to pay for it. At the end of the day, car next door charged us 60$ for inconvenience fee and owner 40$ for tyre replacement. (As if they do anything) I would NEVER rent with car next door again. Two thumbs down!!!

Nick

NickSydney, NSW

Horrible customer support experience

MichaelCar Next Door

Hi Nick, I found your application. I'm so sorry that we did not approve your it. This was a clear error by our processing team. I understand if you'd rather not utilise our service, but I've gone ahead and approved your application for you.

Inconvenient

Got screwed over

Damage was done to a past rental, but they flagged this months after I’d used. The pay out price was maxed out, clearly by the owner who wanted to wanted to get some other work done. The communication with CarNextDoor was hopeless at best, with call centres having no ability to take action whilst time was ticking with unfounded payment deadlines. The worst experience I’ve ever had.

Dan

DanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Useless, wasted my time

Would not verify my account, did not give a reason. They just sent an email saying 'sorry that we can’t provide any more information or an opportunity to re-submit. Thanks again for your interest in our company. We sincerely apologise for any hassle and disappointment caused. Your trip request has been cancelled'

Don't even bother.

David

DavidSydney, NSW

The worst experience ever

Came with a taxi and couldn’t find the keys! Had to take Uber to my hotel . I called customer service she hang the phone in my face, I had to wait until the morning to speak with someone because for some reason the phone got disconnected all night long!!!

Booking Process
MichaelCar Next Door

I'm so sorry to hear that you couldn't find the car keys. Were you able to check the lockbox location in the app? I will investigate what happened with your phone calls. I will send you a direct message to get more details from you.

Review collected in partnership with Car Next Door

Sharon

SharonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Scammed by Car Next Door

In 2017 my husband's CND account was hacked. Luckily, we got on to it quickly and we weren't charged at the time. However, we just discovered that in Aug 2020 CND put an alert on our credit rating saying we owe them the money. CND are no help at all when trying to resolve it and now we're stuck with the dodgy credit rating. BEWARE of Car Next Door

Sam JSydney, NSW

Affects your credit score

Unsure as to why this appears as an enquiry on the credit file of the consumer. I haven’t applied for credit in over 2 years as I want to apply for a home loan. One week ago I tried to rent a vehicle for a day, I was rejected for an unknown reason. I contacted the head office and they failed to provide me a reason as to why I had been rejected. I checked my credit file today and saw that Car Next Door have left a Mark on my file. I’ve recently paid thousands to repair it and this has set me back.

Sam J

Regardless, I don’t understand why you should be running credit checks as you’re a car hire company? Avis, Budget etc don’t run checks on the consumer. You shouldn’t either. Ridiculous

john bris

john bris South East Queensland, QLD

Stay away from this company its a scam

Used Car Next Door on Saturday, the car was 12 or 13 years old, the car was unroadworthy, the inside was in poorer condition outside. I have contacted my bank to put stop on the charge from Car Next Door

MichaelCar Next Door

All cars are required to be roadworthy and well-maintained to be shared on Car Next Door, so if you ever find a car that's not up to scratch, let us know right away and we'll arrange to get you in another car and take that one offline.

Sania S.

Sania S.Sydney, NSW

Do NOT use them - they will charge you for damage you didn't cause

Pine L.

Pine L.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great income no support

Dail C.

Dail C.asked

Car Next Door Car Renter

I have just signed up and I found the process quick and easy. I was approved withing 30 minutes, if that. But after reading these reviews, I'm not sure I want to use the service. I think I will delete my information and account. I'm disappointed to read those reviews.

Bernard
Bernard

I won’t be using again

Damian S

Damian Sasked

Car Next Door

Dear Car Next Door . Someone need responsibly for this damaged .  We make it simple to understand this 1 picture prove my bumper no damaged pick by Samuel and Kevin ( pick up and drop by Samuel before Kevin and next day hire by kevin , pick up by Kevin ) and another picture prove damaged picture ( on trip ) by Kevin  so ??? who’s responsible? me ? Car Next Door pass the responsible on me . Request for picture , [Personal Details Removed] Damian Susantio ( 2 years member Car Next Door for owner and have 4 car to hire )

Ivan S.asked

Car Next Door Car Renter

So when I book a car with your service, it should be where it will be with 15 minutes notice right?
And if some random dude called James sends you a text message saying Please contact James for access to the garage to your phone without any mention of car next door, you expect it might be someone who should have the right to give out your phone number, like a real estate agent you work with... though they would identify themselves and how they got your number.
But that’s not how it works at CarNextDoor, right? You just give the customers phone number to the car owner and tell the car owner to sort it out for himself.
Is this how the service normally works? You’ve told me as such in an email and sent me the evidence to confirm that this is how you do business. I’d just like to know if this is standard so when/if the topic of CarNextDoor comes up in conversation, I can say , well, it works like this,... they take your money and promise you the car at the time on the day. But that’s where they step off. After that, someone will probably contact you, as they’ve been given your phone number buy CarNextDoor, and tell you who to contact about accessing some garage without identifying themselves as having something to do with car next door. This is how you do things, right?
Then, after submitting a complaint, be obviously the whole thing went belly up and there was not car available at the GPS sport with the key safe lock as advised by CarNextDoorr, but two long customer service phone calls, the first telling you to go to a building reception at Breakfree on another street to get the keys as James (who’s James?) has left the keys at reception for you. Reception is a French lady, says,..” Keys? James? I know nothing about such thing?...CarNextDoor customer service again, ... after 10 minutes on hold. Oh, were very sorry sir, that car is not available today. You’d give up with this service there and then and tell all your mates not to go near it. But you guys think you’re doing great and offer a $40 voucher for my (never going to happen) next trip.
Then I get messages from CarNextDoor today telling me I was wrong cause some random guy called James, who identified himself only as James or to contact James and no mention of the car hire of CarNextDoor had given him my mobile number outside of the system sent me messages (that you hilariously sent me screenshots of) saying contact James to access garage. Who the heck is James and what garage? I knew, James must be the loading dock manager for the building where I’m having some furniture moved tomorrow. So I contact the building manager. No worries... all going to plans.
But how did you... CarNextDoor, get from this complete mess up, that massively inconvenienced me and ended up costing me a lot of money to sort out at the last minute, how, seriously, hoooooooow, do you have the intellectual capacity to think it’s a good idea to try put the fault back on me? It is so beyond rational, never mind good customer service, it’s shocking and hilarious at the same time. How is Car Next Door going to make these random text messages without identification to car renters, light and actually explanatory. How is Car Next Door going to get an in house messaging service in place so that all messages and conversations can be tracked. And how will Car Next Door not take peoples money while providing no service? Some serious questions to answer and some serious soul searching to do. How will you, the brave consumer, try car next door, which is vaguely cheaper than a proper car hire company, be brave enough to take this chance?

Ivan S.

So the next thing that happens, I’m not agitated anymore, just so extremely ammused... I get an email out of the blue after 8PM last night, more than two weeks after the complete failed service of CarNextDoor, saying they were sorry but they had to reduce the compensation credit to my account (as if I would ever use this company again) because the owner of the car provided evidence that he told you to call someone about where and how to access the car, which is completely contrary to the protocols and so called security measures car next door uses, a complete breach of my privacy by giving out my phonenumber and then allowing car owners to randomly send instructions on how to get acces to the car without even identifying themselves as having anything to do with CarNextDoor and in anyway in fact. The text message from an unknown number I got (not from CarNextDoor) said, “Call James on this number..... to get access to the garage”. If this what car next door considers responsible behaviour from the owners of the cars and even uses the screenshots against the compensation credit they gave me which I absolutely do not want - I’ll honestly am telling as many people not to use CarNextDoor as my experience with them was so shockingly bad, I just think it’s hilarious. My proper review with the photos as proving is pending approval. I can’t wait to see how Michael at CarNextDoor will try to spin this one. Seriously, anyone considering renting, read the negative reviews, of which there are for too many to risk taking a chance, and save yourself, not only money, but a rediculous amount of frustration from a company that one can only assume is managed by completely incompetent people. A few 1 star reviews for an eBay or Amazon seller and their business is doomes. CarNextDorr has rakced up over 300 one star (terrible) reviews and keeps climbing. I had actually forgotten about the awful experience until they emailed me last night to tell my my compensatoin credit had been reduced. It’s just mind boggling and really quite hillarious at how hopeless this company is.

Get an answer from our members and Car Next Door representatives