Car Next Door

My go-to car rental!

Car Next Door has become my go-to car rental in the city. It's so easy to collect and return, and the price tends to be so much cheaper than going elsewhere. I've used it for both long weekend trips, as well as just a day rental for chores and have been satisfied with my experiences with all. The customer service is quick, the app is super easy to use, and the availability of cars hasn't been an issue. Would definitely recommend!

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Overseas call centre is not great

Payment was not handled well - credit was granted, I have given up chasing it. However automatic debit cant be stopped - take the funds anyway. Still waiting for representative to call me back in 24 hour period.
Vehicle booking was cancelled by the owner with no notice.

Good idea, and helpful

I have used this app for a couple of times. Really easy to use. Just need to follow instructions and you can borrow your neighbour's car. It's interesting that you can drive different cars with proper renting rate. If you want to move home or have large items, you can rent a van. For the short trips or just want to go to the beach, there is a lot of choices waiting for you.

Fantastic

Customer service was excellent. It was a bit tricky at first and I stuffed up the second hire. Luke was really good and helped me through. It is an excellent service. Everything was handled well. Both vehicles were fantastic. Just to run around really.

So helpful

I have found it all a little confusing at first - but it’s great when you do it a few times.
I use the car for work as I have gear I need to bring with me from job to job.
We own one car and sometimes we need two.

Great use of my car

I am looking at making the most of my assets and liabilities, and being a car a liability, this program finally makes it easy for any person to turn that around or minimise expenses, great option for anyone with a car.

Took some getting used to, but was actually quite easy

I've been hiring cars from CarNextDoor for a couple of years now.

Initially, I personally found the process very awkward and cumbersome as it relies very much on being comfortable using one's smartphone in several different ways. Booking the car ... receiving notifications (such as where the car is parked) ... photographing the car before driving off and after dropping it off, etc.

However, after several hires, I finally "got it" and now the process feels very efficient, safe, and reliable.

All the cars I've hired have worked very well.

On the few occasions where I've phoned CarNextDoor for guidance, they've been very helpful.

I'm happy to recommend this service and look forward to continuing as a customer.

I love Car Next Door

Using Car Next Door cars is easy, affordable and good for the planet. I like the idea of not wasting resources. I started as an owner making my car available to my local community. Last year I moved to riding a scooter so when the weather is bad or I need to car stuff Car next Door is the perfect solution.

Excellent car sharing platform - really well executed

Car Next Door provide a service that is perfect for those of us who just need to borrow a car every now and again because the family car is being asked to go in two directions at once. Much better financially and environmentally than buying another car. So easy to use and well run.

Need to do more checks

Have used Car Next Door twice & had issues with vehicles both times. First time the van was not roadworthy (broken light, could not get van into reverse). Thought I’d give it another go & the van didn’t even start & was a rust bucket.
It’s a great idea but they somehow need to do better checking of the vehicles.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle

Ideal for my purpose.

A great service for me as at the present time I only need to use a vehicle occasionally. Car collection and delivery was stress-free. A very user friendly experience all round.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

easy, convenient car rental!

Very easy, convenient and not too expensive, good customer service. Never had a problem. The different types of cars are great for different purposes. I rented a van to move house and a small car to drive to the suburbs. Both stress free experiences.

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Great initiative, well organised and easy to use.

Flawless experiences so far. Everything they say they offer and will do, they actually DO. My wife is a long-time user and I joined to extend our options. No regrets - love it!

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Easiest Car Rental by far!

Using Car Next Door is the easiest and cheapest way to rent by far!
I've used Car Next Door 3 times in the last 3 months, and I'm very happy. I was nervous on my first attempt, but now find it really easy. I'll never go back to the traditional car hire companies after using Car next door.

Vehicle Condition
Vehicle TypeHyundai iLoad TQ-V (2008-Present)

AMAZING SERVICE

What an amazing concept! I have used this service on a couple of occasions now with ease. From the email sequence I received when signing up, to the video explainer, the entire experience was flawless.

Signing up initially was fast and easy and I was able to rent the same day I signed up.

Hats off to these guys taking a foreign concept and turning it into an easy and painless experience for the end user. Way to go team!

Website and app UX was in point too!

Received Booked Vehicle Yes

Be extra careful when you book a car with them.

Booked with them many times and never got a car as advertised:

- dirty inside/out and smelly
- terrible and unsafe car conditions
- no customer service

Extremely disappointed,I will never use their service again.

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a worse vehicle

What a service - help, easy, great vehicles - and get the one exactly you see.

Using Car Next Door was a breeze. The app is simple, the people who own the cars a friendly and helpful needed a Ute in Northcote and booked, keys in a lock box. Owner helped with a trolley - Too Good.

Great revenue stream, if you have good borrowers

If you barely use your car, and it's not particularly new (because your car will suffer minor cosmetic damage with time), I'd recommend this as a revenue stream that also helps your community.

In my experience, 90% of borrowers are respectful and provide you a hassle-free owner experience, while the other 10% may leave rubbish, cause damage (usually only minor scratches), steal your accessories, or create admin headaches (eg fines). I had one major damage case ($5k) that cause me enormous stress for a few weeks that CND eventually reimbursed, and I decided to stay on the platform.

The biggest drawback (and reason for only 4 stars) is the aforementioned and admittedly rare situation whereby borrowers are negligent in their use of your car, and either cause, or compound damage of natural wear and tear. The CND policies have a grey zone here, and how they are enforced put too much onus back on the owner. Eg it is difficult to prove that the borrower continued to drive after the radiator failed and cooked the engine; or downshifted into the wrong gear at high speed and threw a rod -- and though the policies state the borrower must prove they WEREN'T negligent, in practice CND makes the owner prove this.

If you have an eligible car that sits unused 3-4 days a week, with over 200,000km, and made before 2005 (ie it's not nice, nor new) I would totally recommend putting it on this platform to gain some extra revenue.

Mastermind System

My car makes me $250 on average based on the last 24 months stats and the car is only 20% of the time used by my self . Plus hassle free service from Car Next Door I must admit , never had an issue yet so far.

Great Idea and Good Pocket of Income

I have one car on the platform now and it serves to cover my rego and insurance pretty well. It's also a good tax saving if you know what to tell your accountant. It is sometimes unfortunate you get some bad eggs on the platform that cause your car to be in a mess but the staff are helpful and want to help. I make money so it evens out; you can't expect to make money for free. Bad eggs will exist anywhere. My car insides have seen better days before renting it on the platform but I guess it's expected. I expect renters to fully use the car after all. The platform has improved a lot and love the team there.

How can I contact the damage team? I was promised a call back, and an email back and I have been hung up on and I still have no way to talk to anyone from the damage team. I have been told they don't have a phone number!? Please help!!

Hi, what happens in the event that I hire a car and am driving out in the country and the car or rather the vehicle breaks down, do the vehicles hired, have road insurance?
Hi Arthur, there is free roadside assist from NRMA to help get the car back on the road if possible, but we recommend that you get travel insurance to cover any other costs associated with the interruption to your trip or finding alternative transport in the case of a breakdown.

I've tried to list Audi Q7 2017 which value is above $50.000 but I wasn't able to go ahead due to the value of the car been above $50.000. You will not accept card above $50.000 value? Is there any other option?
That's correct, unfortunately for insurance reasons, we can't accept cars that are valued over $50,000.