Cathay Pacific Airways

Cathay Pacific Airways

See the Best International Airlines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Expected better...

Recently flew return Melbourne to Barcelona. Haven't flown Cathay Pacific before and probably wont rush back to them again. There was nothing particularly bad about them, but everything just felt very average... apart from a very helpful gentleman at Melb who helped me with my self check-in, no other Cathay pacific employees seemed particularly friendly or enthusiastic.... Cabin crew certainly did not go out of their way to offer more than the bare minimum in service. I've always previously been offered drinks/snacks on more than one occasion during flights, but CP staff brought the drinks trolley around once, then served the meal, packed everything away and retired to the galley and were barely seen again. Even if flying Economy, I'd like to be given a little better service than that for my $2500 thanks.

DestinationBarcelona, Spain
BookingThird Party

An airline that has slipped in quality

Flew from Perth to Vancouver via Hong Kong 21 hours. Then New York to Perth via Hong Kong 24 hours flying time. Both legs in Premium Economy which just for the comfort is worth the extra money.
Great entertainment and large selection of movies etc.
The food was pretty average with the same menu as Economy although you are served first so there is always a choice.
Staff were not to be seen until food was about to be served and were never offered more drinks after the initial service. It was possible to request more by pressing the call button or going down yourself.
The rubbish was rarely cleared away so it became necessary to put it on the floor.
Having flown with Cathay before I was a little disappointed and would have to question if will fly with them again.

DestinationVancouver, BC, Canada
ClassPremium Economy

Melbourne check in counter 11.07.2019

Extremely poor service and rude customer service by the older guy at counters this morning. Do not recommend this service and avoid at all cost. Not the airline to take if you regard customer service

DestinationHong Kong
BookingThird Party

Worst customer service experience ever

Due to medical reasons, I was not able to travel in Cathay Pacific. I had travel insurance for the itinerary. My insurance company sent a mail to Cathay pacific requesting for confirmation that they have not refunded any money to me. Its been 45 days and I haven't received any response from the airlines. I called the customer service and they said they can't help me.

DestinationChennai, Tamil Nadu, India
BookingThird Party

Amazing- The best airline so far!

This time we chose this airline for my mum who travelled from Delhi to Sydney with a layover at Hong kong. The experience she had was amazing. Special thanks to Rosalle (member of cathay pacific boarding team in Sydney). What a dealing, what a way of talking and guiding. Many thanks to the Cabin crew.
Truely, incredible! I highly recommend this airline.

BookingThird Party

Great airline to fly with, superb product and service!

I recently travelled Cathay Pacific out of Hong Kong to Sydney, I used points to book the flight on Cathay's business class product, and what an amazing experience it was! The aircraft was very clean and the seat, wow! I wish I could travel like this all the time! I was able to sleep part of the trip on the lie flat bed which made the journey a lot more relaxing, I decided to select a window seat 14K at check in as I was originally assigned 18D which in one of two middle seats. The seat was very private and even though the cabin looked to be full the service was very smooth. The cabin crew were very friendly and attentive and were always present whenever I needed anything. When I arrived on board the menu and an amenity kit was there awaiting me so I could freshen up and work out what I wanted to eat for the Dinner service as well as booking in the breakfast meal. All in all I had a very pleasant flight with Cathay Pacific and when I work up the points again I am sure I will be booking once again!!

DestinationSydney Airport, International Terminal (T1), Mascot NSW, Australia
ClassBusiness Class
BookingThrough Airline

Never again

First leg of flight from Melb to HK good, did not make connecting flight was met at exit from plane with new booking departing nine hours later. Second leg HK to Tokyo was the flight from hell, 48 row plane and we were on 48 no incline on seat at all difficulty putting trays down and right next to toilets people were resting on my head plus all other body parts in my face. Return flight according to itinerary departs 19:10 when we do online check in it was departing 17:20 we were lucky we realised this as we did not have any notification about a time change so I do not know who got this wrong, airline or tour group Nexus to whom we have lodged a complain

DestinationTokyo, Japan
BookingThird Party

The Senior Customer Service at the Check-In Counter was sucked.

Being a frequent traveller domestically and internationally, I've got admit that I had never received such an impolite, appalling and abusive customer service from the Check In counter of an airline. Not to say that Japanese was famous for their superior customer service manner.

We're told that our baggages were 19 kilos over our combined baggage allowances. Well, we're over ..we're over...Nothing shall be denied about that and that's why we choose to use our Asia Miles to cover the extra weights.

But we were told that we were still about 1.5 kg over even after using our combined points of 32000. And that's why we asked that so called the Senior Customer Service Officer "[name removed]" that we had 2 people travelling and for just 1.5 kilos extra as well as a long term customer to your airline; Can you please just let us go with your leniency?

And she replied very provocatively that "No, I won't just let you go even if that was 0.01kg over". I then said "So, you just wanted give me a hard time, right?". And she said loud and clear that "Yes...so what?"

At the end, with the resistance of my spouse, I didn't go on and argue with her but repacked our luggages and took 1.5kg out of my case.

But with such a cold blooded customer service from that Japanese Senior Customer Services "[name removed]". I would definitely not be flying on CX again for my 4 times regular travel to Tokyo per year and another other destinations globally as well from now on.

DestinationTokyo, Japan

Tall People Need Not Apply - Not Enough Leg Room For Safe Travel

Head and Leg room is an issue for tall people. As my husband is 2m tall (6ft 6in) we tried to book early to get extra leg room but were advised that it would cost a considerable amount extra. We were unsuccessful in getting a preferred seat during online early checkin. Do wheelchair passengers or people with babies have to pay more for the extra legroom seats?
He had his legs spread apart and knee between front seats (see photo) and was unable to move for many hours. When the passenger in the seat in front reclined his seat it crushed his kneecap.
He is currently waiting on an ultrasound as his d-dimer is elevated indicating a possible DVT. Airlines are well aware of the dangers of DVT. Complications of a DVT are Pulmonary Embolism and death can and does occur.
Cathay Pacific's response was that they were sorry we weren't happy and hope that we have a better experience next time.
There is no way in the world I will travel with cathay pacific again.

DestinationHong Kong
BookingThird Party

Appalling Service by a Subpar Airline!

Unfortunately there is not a lot of nice things to say about Cathay Pacific but I will start with the pros:

Pros:
- Leg room was ok
- Hotel provided on missed connection was very nice (Expect missed connections!!)

Now lets get started with the cons and the reasons I will never fly with this Airline again:

Cons:
- Every single flight we had with Cathay was delayed, whilst some were due to weather and outside of their control, we can't believe that 4 delayed flights and 2 missed connections were all outside of there control and suspect over-scheduling and poor management must be at play as we were amongst many people with the same story.
- Staff were extremely rude and had zero care-factor; most staff we dealt with about our continuous delays and missed connections actually laughed at our situation whilst some just looked at you in disgust. Meal service was extremely slow and when you did get your meal it was slammed onto your table and then the empty tray would remain with you for an inordinate amount of time. After the brief meal interaction, don't expect to see the staff again!
- When we arrived in Hong Kong after a delayed flight, approximately half the flight were about to miss connections and whilst Cathay had several hours to prepare for the inundation of passengers, they only assigned half a dozen members of staff to deal with it, resulting in further delays and further bad service.
- We were promised by staff in Hong Kong that we would be met in Sydney at the gate by a Cathay representative to rush us through to our second domestic connection (we were meant to fly direct, however our first missed connection changed that plan) and would not need to collect our bags (we were dubious about this information given our interactions up till this point). As expected, the only person at the gate in Sydney was an extremely rude lady who was dealing with priority passengers and looked at me in disgust (literally) when I politely asked if she was here to rush us through to our connection; We had no such service and missed yet another connection, also the information about our bags going straight through was incorrect and we had to pick them up.

We had high expectations of Cathay Pacific and it is such a shame that they were the only negative thing about our holiday, I would much rather pay a bit more for an Airline that has customer service skills and I would warn any potential Cathay customers to expect delayed flights and expect really poor customer service if you do decide to gamble with this Airline.

Avoid Cathay Pacific on long-haul flights

If you are a diabetic please don't choose Cathay Pacific for long-haul flights.
Me and my husband chose to fly Hong Kong to JFK in December 2018 with Cathay Pacific.
They offer you a meal at the start of the flight, the next meal is served after more than 13 hours into the flight.
On the menu they say that there are cup noodles and other junk food which you can make avail of in between. Not even a drink is served during these 13 hours!

They knows how to torture and insult their customers

Tried to give us some physical conforms, My husband and me spent $15,690 for a business class return ticket - the economy class would be only $5,000. but I have paid extra $10,000 brought extra mantel and physical stress for 9 hour 45 Mins on boarding, we were socking, we have to literally seat next to the toilets. My arm can reach to the door of the toilet while I were seating in my seat, i were closer to the toilet than to the TV.
Both toilet door were facing to the seats of me and my husband. the toilet doors have fully occupy my left side and the right side of my husband's seat.
There were 38 passages in the business class with 3 toilets, if every one uses toilet 4 times during 9 hours and 45 mins fly, and each time 8 mins; that means each toilet will be used 5 times per hour, and it will be occupied 40 mins every hour.
While I was trying to eat my appetizer, the toilet door were opened 6 times, and an old lady - who was accompanied by a nurse, had to keep the toilet door wide open - god knows how long it had been opened.
I knew it was likely i would vomit, so I had to move myself to the economy class ....

I was told by number of crew members, they have been consistently submit customers complaint to the head office but the airline doesn't care about this, they just try to sale much space as possible, although they have acknowledged that 2 seat should never exist.

Today, I have received a letter from the Customer Relations Executive of this airline,
WOW, Great, they offer me USD50 in service vouchers with 9 conditions of use!!!!!

After the above review, I have found a common Australian Business Traveler Avoid 11D and 11G While many travellers like to be at the very front of the cabin, this is perhaps the worst place to be on Cathay Pacific’s A350-1000. Firstly, a big flashing ‘avoid these seats at all costs’ sign should be hung over 11D and 11G. Due to a very questionable decision by Cathay Pacific’s cabin layout team, seats 11D and 11G are next to the two business class toilets at the front of the cabin.

How not to treat disable pensioners

I have booked to go to England for me and my wife I have told them we will need help as we cann"t walk far and I am very clostaphobic so I booked 7 months early to get a window seat there and back. I have been told I cann"t do that until I get to the booking in stage at the airport I have done all my booking with flight centre by the way so I thought all would be ok, Cathy pacific have change my flight time out of Hong kong twice now so on the second change notice I asked them to put me on a flight the next day or even the day after witch ever was best for them and I would pay the hotel my self no worries as 23 hours for two 69 year olds was get abit much, We are stopping on the way to England so thought what the hell just one more day who cares but no Cathy pacific rejected that and told us to wait in the airport for 7 hours or pay extra for change of tickets,, they change twice and no money I want to because of there change and it costs money. NICE PEOPLE HEY,,PS Are all airlines like this as I am not a frequent flyer and not able to fly too often,,. dave. PPS,Sorry about the spelling.

Went above and beyond to find missing phone

Left my phone on the previous connecting flight, they managed to locate it with very little notice, delivered it to the gate without much fuss at all. Thanks!

poor customer service

Cathay pacific online booking system is faulty. Ground staff are not aware you have booked seats and issue you boarding passes with seats anywhere and separated from your your family. This has happened on four flights i have taken.Not sure why they bother with online seat booking when they never give you the right seats. Family got separated and we got stuck next to toilets and kitchen on two fourteen hour flights not recommended.

Very dangerous

On 27 Nov, from Hong Kong to Perth, Engine fail and trapped for 3 hours inside the plane. Waited for replaced engine. The same problem on the other day.

Terrible terrible

For me, the flight and customer service are completely separate. The flight itself was nice, roomy, good food.

The issue is that like every other airline, there were delays. Unfortunately, Cathay Pacific’s customer service is by far the worst of ANY airline I’ve ever used. They don’t automatically rebook you when your flight gets delayed, you have to wait(along with the hundreds of others on your flight) in line. I waited over 3 hours in Hong Kong not knowing what was happening. Staff were trying to get rid of some people by telling them to go somewhere else or to just wait around aimlessly. Once I did get my flight rebooked for the next day, they cheaped our and refused to pay for breakfast the next morning and scheduled my subsequent connection too tightly so we missed another flight.

Not surprisingly, they ignored my formal complaints that I went through their website. My goal is to hopefully dissuade one other person from the nightmare I experienced.

Did I mention they lost our luggage on the flight on the way to Bangkok?

Never again.

Should be called - Cathay Horrific

Seriously!! New York to Hong Kong - over 15hrs flight and you only feed us two times? We were starving and some people were asking snacks because everyone was hungry and starving. Terrible food service and NEVER again - Sorry

And then feed us twice again from Hong Kong to Melbourne which is just over 8hrs which is fair enough but you really need to give more food if it's over 15hrs - Don't be so tight with Food service!!!

Avoid their 777s

Melb Hong Kong Paris June 26 Melb to HK A380 spacious great service HK to Paris 777 was in 333 configuration good flight but both legs are long seamless transit in hk
Fco to HK in Sept on a 777 but since June they reconfigured their plane to 343 seating what a nightmare plane was completely full lots of mainland Chinese what sloba rubbish everywhere for some reason they all demand hot water so they can have their cheap noodles
Seats are tightest iv ever sat in in staff numbers are the same for extra 60 or so passengers so they are run off their feet they do what they can but its HK managements fault don't blame them
Seamless transit in HK then HK to Melb on a380
Much more room good service foods ok snacks available all nite. But extremely long legs to Europe very tiring i d avoid Cathay mainly because those dogs crammed extra seats in their 777s and the legs are too long tiring
Id recommend Thai or Singapore in future or even the Arab airlines but avoid their 777S as well

Ignored and neglected in business class and no response complaint!

We bought tickets months in advance and booked seats for our trip from Amsterdam to Phuket. Just before departure however the assigned seats for the return trip on 21 October 2018 were changed for Hong Kong-Amsterdam from Row 18 to row 20, directly behind the pantry, next to a toilet and frequently used cupboards, especially bad places for a night flight! The proximity of the pantry was not a guarantee of good service, on the contrary. On departure there was a 20 minutes delay. We had a clear view into the pantry and saw that the passengers in the "first " part of the business class were offered a second preflight drink. Not so for the part where we were sitting, we were ignored by the cabin crew throughout the entire flight. When serving the meal, I was probably the last passenger to receive my pork with cold noodles. To be clear, because we have flown several times with Cathay Pacific, I am a member of the Marco Polo Club, silver member now. This token of loyalty is apparently one-sided because upon returning home I filed a complaint and received an automated message that one of the staff members of the Customer Relations department would contact me within 10 days. This has still not happened to this date, not even to report that the handling of the complaint lasts longer, nothing. I find this an outrageous way to treat your customers.