Chromagen Eternity 26

Chromagen Eternity 26

2.5

• Temperature Consistency
  • Heating Speed
  • Smells of GasYes (0) · No (2)

PJDPerth, WA

This Water Heater is Diabolical

Purchased in September 2019.

Noise Level
Household Size 2 person(s)
Smells of GasNo
Functionality
Temperature Consistency
Heating Speed

Stephen C.Wide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Chromagen Eternity are indestructible

Purchased in March 2007 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$450.00.

Noise Level
Household Size 2 person(s)
Smells of GasNo
Functionality
Temperature Consistency
Heating Speed

Had it for 10 years

Ive had the unit for 10 years now and installed 2 remotes for convenience still going strong hasn't failed touch wood thou im not sure if this has made a difference to the life span but the unit is under cover and out of the sun and rain

Purchased in September 2009.

Gas Continuous Hot Water Systems

Find out how Chromagen Eternity 26 compares to other Gas Continuous Hot Water Systems

Intermittent hot water

Have had this until for only 7 years. Started off getting hot water only intermittently. Now very rarely are we able to get hot water. I wish companies would make products to last. I could purchase one of two parts for approx. $160 but I'm not giving this company any more money. I'll replace it with a trusty Rinnai.

Date PurchasedNov 2011

Really bad machine

My house built by Metricon and I moved in for a month. In this month, it is hard to have a good hot water supply in my house. The unit will work when himself is happy. I can't have any hot water when the unit not happy. Chromagen came to check a few time and couldn't find out any problem. They refuse to replace the new unit to me. They always said is the water pressure problem but we had the third party to check and confirm no issue of water pressure. Finally, they replace the new unit to me a month later. After a few days, the new unit has the same problem again.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Gonzie

Gonzie

Reserved Judgement

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Jimbo

JimboAU

Stopped Working 6 Months In

Builder supplied T26 has stopped working 6 months after handover from Metricon, in the middle of winter!! The unit does not activate when only one tap is turned on, so we have had to turn on 2 taps on full hot water for the unit to be triggered, and sometimes even that doesn't work. Builders should stop supplying this brand if it is causing so much grief to customers.

Edit: Updated rating because Chromagen rang to say that it is the actual taps that are restricting water flow that is the problem, and not an issue with the water heater unit. Waiting to see if the builder will offer a fix to the blocked/restricted taps.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Choosy Dude

Choosy DudeSydney

Have read the negative reviews on the previous model....so far performs as it should

Yes, I have read the negative reviews on the previous model "Eternity T2X". There are plenty of good reviews elsewhere. Current model is Eternity Plus M2X (mine is M26)....so far performs as expected and does a great job. Only time will tell if the unit is well made. I note it is made in China. Old gas storage unit sprang a leak, so I needed a quick replacement - I picked it up from Bunnings while the plumber was on the way and the job was done. Kids had a hot bath that night. I will change here if I don't get a good run from it.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

9 months in and it's been leaking the whole time

Great when it works but a piece of rubbish. Builder put it in, repairman took the cover off and was showered in water......nine months in. Replaced the same day at least. Cheap Israeli made crap. Do yourself a favor and buy a Rinnai, that always worked well for us prior

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Gas Continuous Hot Water Systems

2 replacement boards in 5 years and now number 3.

My builder's plumber installed an Eternity 26 in late 2013. Since then the unit has failed twice (it would not deliver water at 55C and 26l/min and the controller constantly displayed a flashing error message) which required replacement of the computer board in the unit. It has now happened a third time and I expect the plumber to advise once again that this problem is not covered by the unit warranty.

Sam

SamMelbourne

Beware Of Chromagen Products

Tom

TomMelbourne

Won't buy again ....hope supplier can fix simply design issue.

The product is using cheap plastic flow sensor. The sensor lasts only about 2 years. Sensor will slow down and as such it may get less hot and will stop working on single tap. It needs about 5L/m to start. Please design better sensor with 2L/min start like Rheem 27. This sensor is making it useless product. Otherwise it is OK product.

Bernie.Sasked

Hi I bought a Chromagen Eternity 26 Natural gas, was wondering if anyone knows how to convert it to LPG?

Stephen C.

Opps, this is a tricky one, the LPG jets are smaller because the gas pressure is higher, it can be done but it is not easy to get at the jets and replace them in a water heater these days because of the design. Best option is to change it for a LPG model

Bernie.S

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

PJDasked

Why is my M26 so terrible? I took handover of my new home in September 2019 and almost straight away I started having problems with the hot water boiler, firstly it takes ages to get hot wasting litres and litres of water, then when it gets hot it's lovely and hot and then all of a sudden it goes cold, and the only way to get hot water again is to turn off, leave it off for a few seconds then turn back on. This can happen 3 times during my shower, I'm stood there with my hair covered in shampoo with the cold water coming through, it also happens frequently when I run the kitchen sink to wash the dishes, this is totally unacceptable for a brand new boiler. It's like living back in the olden days. I contacted my builder who in turn contacted the only service agent in WA, they sent a plumber who had me turn my taps on whilst he did some tests, he said everything was fine. But surprise surprise!!! It's still happening, this time I contacted the service agent myself who promised to call me, the plumber called me instead over 10 days ago, still no progress!! So I contacted Chromagen directly and told them my thoughts on their diabolical hot water heater, they allegedly have sent a priority works order to the same service agent 4 days ago and I'm still waiting. This surely cannot be right? I think since September (8 months) I have been very patient, but my patience are wearing very thin now. I have had countless different hot water systems in the numerous properties where I've lived but I have never ever had a system so bad as this M26 hot water heater. I am coming to the end of my tether and I really do need advice on what I can do next. I thank you in anticipation of any help and advice. Mrs Dent

Kiren

Im no tech but given i have used a very old bosch boiler previously... if you are trying to mix cold and hot water to get the right temp that could happen because the cold water will dominate over the hot because of higher pressure in the pimp line... I have a remote set up in both kitchen and shower i set the temp i need and just run the hot water without trying to mix it with cold... I dont know if you have that but it may help with your problem... If you do then i could only say that the boiler is faulty or there is a gas leak for it to turn out
I hope ive covered everything without being miss understood im trying to explain everything in a niceway

PJD

Hi Kiren, thank you for your reply. Our taps are mixer taps not separate hot & cold taps, when I run the kitchen tap it is turned as far to the left as it will go (ie to the red) before I turn it on fully to run hot water to wash the dishes, it takes ages to get hot but the plumber said that’s pretty normal given the distance from the boiler (I get this) it then gets lovely and hot, I put the plug in and then mid flow it turns cold, I then turn the tap off, wait a few seconds then the process begins again, it usually takes this scenario to fill the kitchen sink most days. In the shower we have the mixer tap set at a particular position before we turn it on, the majority of the time it’s ok but then it will do exactly the same as the kitchen but when it happens in the shower it can take up to 3 tries to get it back to hot. As you can imagine this is extremely frustrating when one is stood there covered in soap suds/shampoo waiting for hot water to come back. It happens at the laundry sink too. I’m just sick and tired of it. My last instantaneous water heater was a Rinnai, we had the same style of mixer taps but had never experienced anything like this. I’ve had the other gas boilers with tanks, had electric immersion heaters and gas instantaneous ones in the UK all over a 49 year period but never had this problem. With hindsight I would have requested the builder not use this brand but I assumed it would be fine because that is what he uses. How stupid was I? I get the feeling this problem will never be solved, Chromogen told me they would raise a priority order to the service agent as a goodwill gesture!!!!! Surely after only 8 months I should expect it to be covered given that it is not working for the purpose it is meant for. When I read the information about this particular water heater on the Chromogen website it sounds amazing, less water wastage, quick hot water, constant hot water etc etc.... well in my case and by the look of the many dissatisfied customers who have written their reviews about their experience with this brand this is certainly not the case.

Ian

Ianasked

how to increase the temperature

Kiren

There is a manual stuck on the inside of the front panel once unscrewed and you have to play with the switches shown otherwise you can buy the inside the house temp control units which are better and have it set to from 37c to 55c by one degree increments

Get an answer from our members and Chromagen representatives