Close Comfort PC9+

Close Comfort PC9+

Most excellent invention

What more can a pensioner with no additional income want, than an air conditioner which won't cost arms, legs, and first born, to run. I received my unit yesterday, after having ordered just the day before. Setup in my bedroom was so easy. My room is small and I only share with a cat, so the personal nature of the cooling is great... he's not very fond of normal air conditioning. The unit weighs about 17Kg and even I, weak as I am, was able to lift it from its box. It rolls easily on its castors and so will be moved from room to room as I need the additional cooling.

Overnight use: it stopped cooling and the light began flashing after about 4 hours... reason being, I had the temp set too high on the unit. I turned it off, set temp to 22ºC and off it went again. Perfect. Tonight, I'll remember to set the temp a couple of degrees lower than expected overnight room temp. I also had bought the cool focus gadget to increase cool flow and that was a matter of plug'n'play, and it works beautifully.

Noise levels are not intrusive. On the highest setting, it is no noisier than my pedestal fan on 2 of 4 speeds. On low, barely noticeable. Some people may find it very noisy, it will depend on what you are used to.

I'm feeling very positive about this air conditioner. I had been researching split system and ducted and apart from the general cost + install cost, the running costs seem to be reported as quite high. For some people that doesnt matter. For me, ongoing cost is a huge issue.

I'm basing this review on one afternoon and night of use, and will update it if anything changes. I don't expect that to happen. 5 stars and highly recommended for those who don't have the budget, space, or location to have anything else.

[edit] Adding a bit more, as my review has so far not yet been published. Another day on, at 36º and the Close Comfort did not falter. I had a very comfortable afternoon.

NB: This is NOT for cooling whole rooms. Its for spot cooling only. That is, you are the spot.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
We really appreciate you sharing your valuable experience, and very glad to hear you are happy with our product! Please call (+61 8 9386 3257) or email (contact@closecomfort.com) us if you have any enquiry. Hint: To use with our bed tent product can make you feel even more comfortable during the hottest and humid summer night while cutting the already low power consumption further by about 40%!I thought about the bed tent, and then remembered that all cats have OCD and are autistic. You can't change *anything* without ructions. He would never cope with a bed tent. TBH nor would I. Its great just as it is.Don't seem to be able to update the original review so adding more comments here. This little unit was perfect for overnight in my bedroom. I mostly run it on a low fan speed, its enough for me. However, a caveat: Its not really that good for in a large loungeroom unless you are prepared to sit still in the cool zone, the whole time... not really doable. Yesterday the temp was 39ºC and whilst it worked to cool me, if I had to go to the kitchen (its an all in one with the lounge and HOT as heck) I heated up PDQ. I think the unit is perfect for the bedroom and other smaller spaces, but not in a large room which faces west. Just an FYI for those considering it.

Best option for low cost, mobile air conditioning for 1 or 2 people

The Close Comfort air conditioner does exactly what it says - and does it well, although it is important to understand that it doesn't work the same way as traditional 'whole-of-room air' conditioners.

1. The cooling works well, and the air flow & speed can be easily adjusted
2. It makes about the same amount of noise as any other portable air conditioning unit
3. It is very portable, and can be moved around very quickly and easily
4. It is compact, and takes up very little space
5. It is very cheap to run.

The key to this product's success is understanding what it can and cannot do - and how it differs from other types of air conditioning.The key difference is that it doesn't attempt to cool the whole room - only the 1 or 2 people it is pointed at, and it vents the warm air that ir produces up to the ceiling. Depending on the size of the room, the height of the ceiling, and the ventilation, this can eventually affect the heat in the parts of the room not cooled by the Close Comfort - so that, for example, if you keep it running overnight in a small room and then turn it off in the middle of the night, the room can end up feeling much hotter than it did without the air conditioning.

However, provided you keep the room in which you are using the Close Comfort, well ventilated, it won't noticeably increase the temperature of the rest of the room.

As I live in a rented house, it has been easy to move it around, although, like ALL portable air conditioners, it is too noisy for me to sleep with at night (I'm a light sleeper).

As I write this, the room I'm in is at 29C, but the Close Comfort it is keeping me nice and cool.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Well executed

Very nice to have a low energy cost aircon for the summer, plenty of piece of mind knowing you can turn it on and not spend bucket loads. An energy consumption plug is a great addition as you get even more piece of mind, I spent more on the $20 energy monitor than power in the last two months!

Know that this is a personal air conditioner, and won't be adequate for two people unless you use the igloo tent. This fit my use case and I'm very happy with it.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Anyone kindly tell me that how much it decreases temperature if running in a igloo camp/tent? And room temperature is about 40° C.
If you run it in a small enclosed space, it will still cool you down just like an ordinary air conditioner, but the hot air that is vented upwards from the unit will gradually heat up the air at the top of the space - unless you have some opening at the top of the igloo/tent to allow the hot air to escape. Without ventilation, the space will become harder to cool down after a while.

Would someone please tell me what the decibel level is for this unit? Is there a bigger unit that would cope with a larger room - say dining/lounge room? Many thanks
Db ranges from around 52 at lowest to 70 at highest fan speed. However, if you are looking for whole room cooling, this unit is not for you. As it says everywhere, its a personal cooler. It is not for room cooling. If you read our reviews, you would have the answers you needHi, Thank you for contacting Close Comfort Australia. The noise level measured at 1.5 meters away from the PC9L unit, which is the typical application distance, is 45 - 54dBA. Low Fan Speed: 45 - 47dBA, Medium Fan Speed: 47 - 49dBA, High Fan Speed: 50 - 54dBA. While using Close Comfort during sleep, we recommend switching to low fan speed and placing the unit at the foot end of the bed in order to form a cool layer of air that covers the whole body, in this scenario the unit is usually more than 1.5m away from the user`s head thus the noise level will be close to bottom end of the range. We find this decibel level is acceptable for most of our customers. Within 14 days upon receiving the product, if you are happy with the performance of the unit, you can return the product for free! (T&Cs: The product is not damaged and is in near-new condition; packaging box, foams, user manual and the remote are all in presence; transportation charge is not refundable )Thank you Close Comfort Official : ) I was wondering whether this particular unit would cope in a dining/lounge room situation or would I need a larger unit? Where isthe best place to buy a unit?

Do you need to put water or ice on it
No, it is a normal air-conditioner compressor unit, not an evaporative one. Just plug it in, and clean the filters occasionally. That's it.Hi Jane, Happy New Yeay! Close Comfort is a compressor type portable air conditioner. Our product requires neither water nor ice, even no pipe installation. Just plug in and use. best wishes, Close Comfort Team

PC9+