Close Comfort PC9+

See the Best Portable Air Conditioners in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Most excellent invention

What more can a pensioner with no additional income want, than an air conditioner which won't cost arms, legs, and first born, to run. I received my unit yesterday, after having ordered just the day before. Setup in my bedroom was so easy. My room is small and I only share with a cat, so the personal nature of the cooling is great... he's not very fond of normal air conditioning. The unit weighs about 17Kg and even I, weak as I am, was able to lift it from its box. It rolls easily on its castors and so will be moved from room to room as I need the additional cooling.

Overnight use: it stopped cooling and the light began flashing after about 4 hours... reason being, I had the temp set too high on the unit. I turned it off, set temp to 22ºC and off it went again. Perfect. Tonight, I'll remember to set the temp a couple of degrees lower than expected overnight room temp. I also had bought the cool focus gadget to increase cool flow and that was a matter of plug'n'play, and it works beautifully.

Noise levels are not intrusive. On the highest setting, it is no noisier than my pedestal fan on 2 of 4 speeds. On low, barely noticeable. Some people may find it very noisy, it will depend on what you are used to.

I'm feeling very positive about this air conditioner. I had been researching split system and ducted and apart from the general cost + install cost, the running costs seem to be reported as quite high. For some people that doesnt matter. For me, ongoing cost is a huge issue.

I'm basing this review on one afternoon and night of use, and will update it if anything changes. I don't expect that to happen. 5 stars and highly recommended for those who don't have the budget, space, or location to have anything else.

[edit] Adding a bit more, as my review has so far not yet been published. Another day on, at 36º and the Close Comfort did not falter. I had a very comfortable afternoon.

NB: This is NOT for cooling whole rooms. Its for spot cooling only. That is, you are the spot.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
We really appreciate you sharing your valuable experience, and very glad to hear you are happy with our product! Please call (+61 8 9386 3257) or email (contact@closecomfort.com) us if you have any enquiry. Hint: To use with our bed tent product can make you feel even more comfortable during the hottest and humid summer night while cutting the already low power consumption further by about 40%!I thought about the bed tent, and then remembered that all cats have OCD and are autistic. You can't change *anything* without ructions. He would never cope with a bed tent. TBH nor would I. Its great just as it is.Don't seem to be able to update the original review so adding more comments here. This little unit was perfect for overnight in my bedroom. I mostly run it on a low fan speed, its enough for me. However, a caveat: Its not really that good for in a large loungeroom unless you are prepared to sit still in the cool zone, the whole time... not really doable. Yesterday the temp was 39ºC and whilst it worked to cool me, if I had to go to the kitchen (its an all in one with the lounge and HOT as heck) I heated up PDQ. I think the unit is perfect for the bedroom and other smaller spaces, but not in a large room which faces west. Just an FYI for those considering it.

Best option for low cost, mobile air conditioning for 1 or 2 people

The Close Comfort air conditioner does exactly what it says - and does it well, although it is important to understand that it doesn't work the same way as traditional 'whole-of-room air' conditioners.

1. The cooling works well, and the air flow & speed can be easily adjusted
2. It makes about the same amount of noise as any other portable air conditioning unit
3. It is very portable, and can be moved around very quickly and easily
4. It is compact, and takes up very little space
5. It is very cheap to run.

The key to this product's success is understanding what it can and cannot do - and how it differs from other types of air conditioning.The key difference is that it doesn't attempt to cool the whole room - only the 1 or 2 people it is pointed at, and it vents the warm air that ir produces up to the ceiling. Depending on the size of the room, the height of the ceiling, and the ventilation, this can eventually affect the heat in the parts of the room not cooled by the Close Comfort - so that, for example, if you keep it running overnight in a small room and then turn it off in the middle of the night, the room can end up feeling much hotter than it did without the air conditioning.

However, provided you keep the room in which you are using the Close Comfort, well ventilated, it won't noticeably increase the temperature of the rest of the room.

As I live in a rented house, it has been easy to move it around, although, like ALL portable air conditioners, it is too noisy for me to sleep with at night (I'm a light sleeper).

As I write this, the room I'm in is at 29C, but the Close Comfort it is keeping me nice and cool.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Well executed

Very nice to have a low energy cost aircon for the summer, plenty of piece of mind knowing you can turn it on and not spend bucket loads. An energy consumption plug is a great addition as you get even more piece of mind, I spent more on the $20 energy monitor than power in the last two months!

Know that this is a personal air conditioner, and won't be adequate for two people unless you use the igloo tent. This fit my use case and I'm very happy with it.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Hi, considering this unit for our caravan instead of an under bed built in unit. We are in Qld so humid and hot in summer. We have a very large roof hatch, instead of leaving window open, would it work efficiently if we left the roof hatch open to vent out the hot air? Also, for travelling, can it be stored laying on it's side under the bed when not needed?
Yes, using it right underneath the roof hatch would certainly help vent the hot air - good idea. You could also use it outside (with an extension cable) in the evening, making it far more versatile than a built-in unit. Not sure about laying it on its side - suggest you contact the manufacturer.Hi Linda, Thank you for contacting Close Comfort! Yes, it will actually work better leaving the roof hatch open than opening the window. Due to the density difference between warm and cool air, the warm air will naturally rise to the roof area while the cool air should form a comfort zone on top of the bed just enough for a night of good sleep - this is the key concept of Close Comfort Personal Air Conditioner. Our Igloo Bed Tent production can significantly increase the cooling effect when used in combination with our AC unit. Just like all other air conditioners and portable fridges, the unit has to be in an upright position during transportation and operation. Theoretically, laying on the side during travelling can damage the refrigeration system, however, we have not yet had any record of damage due to this reason. We suggest you to store and operate the unit in an upright position. If the unit accidentally falls on its side, which does happen due to unpredictable reasons, please keep the unit in an upright position for at least two hours before the operation. For off-grid application guide, please visit our support page: ( https://www.closecomfort.com.au/pages/off-grid-power-solutions ) For more technical enquires, please contact us by email ( contact@closecomfort.com). For purchasing, please visit our online store ( www.closecomfort.com.au ). Hope you have a great day Close Comfort Team Perth, Western Australia

Hello. I live in an old stone house, high ceilings. But the only outlets in my bedroom, where I'd need the conditioner, are a door to a hallway (internal), and a big open fireplace. If I pointed the venting air part of the unit to the fireplace, (so hot air could more or less travel up the chimney), would that work? And how close to the bed would the unit have to be for me to feel the benefit? Is there a way of ducting the hot air from the unit towards the chimney? And could you also explain the bed 'tent'. Thanks, Robyn
Hi Robyn. Firstly, the high ceilings will work in your favour because as the hot air rises it will take longer to fill the room if you have the unit on for a long time. Secondly, it is not possible to duct or point the vent anywhere as it only pushes the hot air upwards (unless you rig something up). However, if you can put the unit in a fireplace right under the chimney then it is likely that most of the hot air will go up the chimney. It does take a while to fill up the room with the hot air from the vent, but even then if you have the stream of cold air positioned correctly it won't be noticeable. The whole point of the unit is to blow cold air at you personally, and not try to cool the whole room. So, as long as it is cooling you down then it doesn't matter how hot the rest of the room becomes. If you're not using the tent, then you will need the unit to be within about 1 - 1.5 metres of the bed so that you receive the stream of cold air. Any further away and it won't cool you down as much. The bed tent is a complete cover, rather like the old mosquito nets that you could tuck in on all sides. It has an opening through which the unit blows cold air. I've got one but didn't use it for the simple reason that I'm a very light sleeper and the unit kept me awake. But it is well constructed and should work well.Thanks so much. That's clear.Hi Robyn, thank you for contacting Close Comfort! How are you today? An old stone house (usually poor thermal insulation) with a high ceiling is an ideal scenario for switching to Close Comfort because of our product does not rely on building insulation and not wasting your electricity bill to cool all the walls, floors and furniture. We provide a cool breeze to the user`s facial and chest area where skins are most sensitive to the cooling effect. Since you have a high ceiling, there is no need to redirect the warm air coming from the back of the unit, as the net heat released by the unit only equals to about 5 to 6 light bulbs which will not significantly raise the temperature of the room. We recommend placing the unit at the foot end of your bedding area and direct the cool air to the head board of your bed, it will form a layer of cool air which is just enough to cover the sleeper and create a comfortable micro-climate. The Igloo bed tent constrains more cool air than using the unit alone in an open space, which significantly increases the cool effect while reducing the already low power consumption further by about 40%. It stops the bug and provides better privacy, and kids love it! More Information can be found on our support page: https://www.closecomfort.com.au/pages/support or use the Youtube video link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Aup43MgYw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Wvybe9nO0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyb5FFnf7yY For purchasing, please visit our online shop: https://www.closecomfort.com.au/collections/product-and-accessories We appreciate you contacting us via Productreview.com, please call (08) 9386 3257 or email: contact@closecomfort.com to get your off-season special discount! hope you had a great day, CC Australia

Hello, I am looking to purchase this item for my personal cooling while I am using my computer in the living room. However, I am concerned about the hot air generated which may affect other people in other zones of the living room. I would place it near the side of the room where there are windows/doors, but I am still worried whether they will feel a rise in temperature. Please kindly advise. Thank you.
I don't think there's a firm answer for your question. How others are affected in the room will be affected by the beginning ambient, I think. I know thats true of mine, kept in the bedroom I can't keep it at a window, so it backs to the hallway through an open bedroom door. The temp in the room will increase 2-5ºC, depending on the start. I recall reading somewhere that someone managed to have a curtain drop over hers, at the back of the rear vent (so front vent was facing her, and the room, and rear vent was venting to an open window. Something like that might work for you. This machine is never going to cool an entire room, in case you were hopeful.It will depend on the room size, ceiling height and ventilation. As the hot air vented by the Close Comfort rises, it will heat the layers of air nearest the ceiling and over time the layer of heated air will come down, unless there is adequate ventilation. The other people in the room won't feel the temperature rise until the room fills up from the ceiling downwards, which may take some time if it is a larger room. To me, the key is ventilation. Since it is a personal unit, and works best when it is close to you, you can open all the doors and windows without losing the cooling effect.Hi Simon, Thank you for contacting Close Comfort! It depends on the size of the room and ventilation condition, more importantly, the position of the unit relative to the window and the door. While the unit is exhausting cool air and hot air at the same time, the net heat released into the room is about 300W, which equals to 5 to 6 traditional light bulbs. If you can arrange the unit as close as possible to a window or a door to allow most of that warmth escaping, then the room temperature change should be minimized. We encourage you to try our product and see if it suits your condition. If the outcome if not satisfied you can return the product back within 14 days and only share the shipping cost, we will refund you the rest. (T&Cs: Making sure you keep all packaging materials and accessories comes with the product for at least 14 days to get a full product refund) Please send an email to contact@closecomfort.com if you have more inquiries. We hope you had a great day!

CategoryPortable Air Conditioners