DJI Phantom 4

DJI Phantom 4

Advanced, Pro, Pro Plus and Standard

Phantom 4 Drone by DJI

This is a great Drone anyone can fly it, when starting out its a bit daunting, but when you realise you can hover the craft until you figure out what to do then you know that its pretty foolproof, recommend having the Apple mini 4 ipad for the display as I figured out the hard way if you dont have fast enough processor it can lose image mid air I would also recommend a sunshade for the screen. Also the DJI Go 4 software is fairly invasive nowadays they want alot of your data, there are other alternatives such as Litchi to run the Drone on instead. I would recommend this drone works great in strong winds (and I mean really strong unlike smaller drones) has proximity sensors, definately get extra battery as they only last 25mins though they are super expensive at $300 each here in NZ. biggest drawback is not anything to do with the super amazing drone, but more to do with where can you even fly one now??? there are so many limitations and permits required, just something to think about. cheers

Mavic Pro went rogue

I bought my drone 2 weeks ago and liked it until one night it developed a mind of its own and flew off. Never to be seen again. I sent the flight records to DJI along with the video “ which could clearly hear me panicking that I couldn’t control it” and they emailed me back telling me it was my fault. Apparently it went into an ATTI mode and wouldn’t respond to my commands on the remote to come back. Needless to say I can’t find it now.
I’m very disappointed as I purchased the Mavic Pro for $1000.00 in hopes that I could record my wedding with it.
In my opinion the warranty on these are a sham. I will never buy another DJI product again as I was treated like it was my fault that the drone wouldn’t respond to my remote commands and flew off never to be seen again.
I’m a real reviewer. If you want to verify let me know and I will provide contact info so we can chat.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Excellent repair service

I would like to thank DJI repair service for their prompt service on my Drone. The Drone casing had broken. DJI have replaced the casing and cleaned dust and dirt off the Drone. All this for no extra cost. I am very happy with the Phantom 4 Pro it has been an excellent investment.

Amazing drone - Crap batteries

At work we bought two phantom 4 pro's, in addition, we bought four spare batteries, giving the drones three batteries each. Out of the six batteries four were faulty! As we had the drones sitting in a store room for over six months until everyone receive training on them, all the battery warranties are now null and void. They have never been used. Over $1000 worth of batteries! I'm gobsmacked to be honest. We wrote to the corporate section of DJI and never received a response. Buyer beware...my advice DO NOT buy over the internet. Go into a store and have them demonstrate that the batteries turn on while fitted to the drone. That way you won't waste time trying to redeem warranty through the mail. Also if you do feel the need to buy them over the internet, check them upon arrival. DO NOT assume they will be working, the quality control is shocking at DJI, four out of six batteries is not a coincidence.

On the good side, with the remaining batteries we were able to do firmware updates, and fly the drones, both work flawlessly, but the startup time is significant. They are easy and safe to fly with effective GPS hold and navigation abilities. The camera is amazing, the footage is incredible, they hold well in wind with the gimble providing a steady camera shot.

It's just so disappointing that such an amazing drone is let down by the battery, in researching forums this appears to be a VERY common issue, quite frankly I was contemplating buying one for myself, but I am now reconsidering. As a very expensive private purchase I don't have the ability to absorb the cost the same way my company can, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

DJI Phantom 4 Pro (Obsidian Edition)

The P4Pro (Obsidian) is an awesome edition to the Phantom 4 range of quad copter drones. This is the same specs as the P4Pro but the colour is matt black boarding on charcoal. This is one sleek unit and flys as solidly as all other DJI Products.

This is up there as a consumer drone in the sub 2kg weight category of CASA regulations (anything over 2kg and you need to be licensed). This is not a cheap toy at around 2k!

Use your iPhone or Android smart device to connect to the controller and you're pretty much right to go after some firmware updates that usually accompany an advanced piece of flying photography kit. After all this is cutting edge technology here at your finger tips and DJI are proactive in keeping your investment flying.

Controls are easy to master and your device displays all manner of important flight information needed for really getting the most from your photography or videos, as well as safe flight, flight telemetry and flight records.

Battery life is excellent with a fully charged battery lasting 30mins in calm weather. When it is windy or you have an aggressive flying style battery life can drop to about 25mins. Still ample time to get your perfect shot in frame.

Change from normal flight mode into sport mode and get this drone flying up to 70+kph allowing you to get to the shot fast or tackle that headwind.

With the advanced "Light Bridge" connection (others use WIFI connection) you have fantastic range - but remember to always fly safe and under the CASA regulations. For instance you must be able to visually orientate the drone without binoculars, or goggles. Channel selection is done automatically (or can be done manually) and you can choose between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz to gain clearer signal stability in areas with high radio interference.

Video and photos are crisp, vibrant and can be edited in your favourite editing packages. Images are stored on the SD card that comes with the drone but you will be purchasing a larger capacity card sooner rather than later.

While you're in a buying mood also purchase an additional battery or two so you can spend more time in the air and less on the ground waiting for the battery to charge. Batteries take around an hour to charge to full capacity with the included charger.

I upgraded from my Phantom 3 Standard drone (also reviewed here). The upgrade price is steep but then this is the top of the line in the Phantom Range. Buy with confidence, learn to fly in control safely and view your world from above. The view is amazing.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Very bad company,be warned,don't buy off DJI.

It's not until you buy any DJI product that you see they sell you a product that has many flaws or issues,you then spend weeks to find out what's wrong with the drone to try to fix it,I had to send my phantom 4 it get fixed twice now, but when you go to the DJI forum there are thousands of people all saying they have a issue with there drone, many thousands needing help with a very, very expensive product that they sell with many things wrong,they had a bad up date that caused most people to get things wrong with there drones,it will take me to long to say about how bad DJI is,you will regret buying a very,very expensive product,DJI over charge for what the product really is,I can only tell you I've seen so much wrong with DJI the drones are a big rip off,you will see if you buy one,thanks for your time

Date PurchasedMay 2016

As good as the higher models

If you obey all the standard procedures with owning a Phantom You will never run into any major problems. About half way through 2017, DJI introduced a software update on the Phantom 4. This update enabled the Phantom 4 to have all the functionality of the most recent drones, with all the flight modes of the Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic Pro, Without the extra obstacle avoidance sensors obviously. This drone is no longer sold from DJI but you can pick it up online, refurbished, for $900 that's what i did. Nobody would have thought the drone was refurbished unless they were told. DO NOT TRY TO BRING DRONES ON A CRUISE SHIP, found that out the hard way. I have not run into any issues that require me to contact support services so I have nothing to say about that. Unfortunately Australian UAV laws make it almost impossible to actually use the drone unless you're in a remote location. (unless you are 30 meters away from a road, 30m away from people including the pilot, not able to look upon someone else's property or possessions including cars, you have permission from whoever owns the land and you use none of the intelligent flight functions and you don't look at the FPV screen.) Ensure you land the drone BEFORE the battery reaches critical or it will begin to land itself wherever it is (remember don't panic if this happens.) DO NOT use cheap micro SD cards in the phantom, it will never work. All and all, I will be using this drone as far into the future as I can because I wouldn't ask for any other.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Dji phantom 4 advanced product and warranty fail!

I ordered a Phantom 4 advanced off Amazon. After some good product research I decided the Phantom would be a good addition, considering my other equipment is older and does not have the features the Phantom claims to bring to the table.

I received it on August 16th 2017. I had a few minor issues, but nothing that I didn't expect.

On Aug 28th 7.5 mins into a flight it flipped up side down and fell out of the air. Perfectly upside down into a dirt field, breaking the shell, gimbal, and forcing dirt into the motors. Upon research I have discovered this is refered to as the flip of death in the DJI world and as it turns out not uncommon. At the time it happened I wasn't too upset, drones are a complex device and stuff happens. I had never seen anything like this so a bit shocked but was thankful I didn't fall on something of value. I was confident DJI would just replace it considering it's age and the circumstance.

I received a case number that came with a packing slip, great didn't have to pay shipping. When DJI received it, the repair team assested it and decided I should pay for the repair. Saying it was operator error. I was quick to contest that decision considering there is nothing for miles that is as tall as the height it fell from. I was told it would be reassed. I was also told it would take 48 hours. 1 week passed by with nothing so I called in and spoke to a manager who stated that they would try to deal with it promptly.

Today, 1 day short of 2 weeks I call in again and I am told I need to sync my flight logs for a proper evaluation. Which I was under the impression the logs were accessible from the unit it self.

This is where I start to get aggravated, and here's why:

- It's fairly obvious the first decision was made without the flight logs, which you would think would play a major role from a warranty perspective especially when accusing one of OPERATOR ERROR. All this technology and they base their decision on a hunch?

- They have proven they have the ability to send an invoice at the speed of light, but if they need something from me to help resolve my case they choose to wait for me to call in to inform me.

In the end regardless of the out come I can not have drones that routinely fall out of the sky working for me. If DJI would have demonstrated any need to do right by me I would be a bit more tolerable, but clearly not the case. I just want my money back. Product and service fail!

CANT FLY IT!!!!

I've had the new P4P for a week now, when you start it up first time you are forced into a firmware upgrade. Since my first flight the drone shakes and wobbles badly, so photos are blurred and video is useless. I've re-calibrated IMU and Compass dozens of times without success. I've now been told I need to wait for the next firmware update for a POSSIBLE fix!!! I've checked online forums and there are hundreds of people experiencing the same problem. Meanwhile I need the drone for my photography work, so I'm losing money. I upgraded from the older P3P and that was an awesome drone and I'm really sorry to have sold it. The P4P is a lemon. Dont buy it!!!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

DJI PHANTOM 4 PRO Firmware Issues Cause Drone To Malfunction & Hit Water - Now Dead!!

DJI Support is nonexistent and they use consumers as guinea pigs to test their upgrades and bug fixes. So many issues don't know where to start. Very poor business ethics considering the cost of these top of the range drones.
Treat consumers like trash and will not take responsibility for their products and firmware failing. Have a read of their manuals and other documents and they will tell you where you shouldn't fly. Why own a drone if you're limited to flying in a large open field! Had nothing but erratic behaviour from this drone and DJI couldn't care less. Good luck with trying to speak to someone in Australia, as even though the number is in Melbourne, you're actually calling overseas. Support email responses very vague and often contradictory and misleading. Support emails also have spelling mistakes and poor English is used.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Fantastic drone

Amazing drone, great flight time out of the batterys and range, i have got out to 3.4km before it came home, image quality is not the best but for the price its great.
Sport mode is a lot of fun but dont use it unless you are very use to your drone.
Hope to get the phantom 5 when it comes out.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Good but looses signal much quicker than Mavic

Found the drone to be great however when we've taken both the Phantom 4 and the Mavic out the Phantom 4 drops out well before the Mavic does. Might be just my specific drone buts it's still annoying. That said the footage is brilliant and the it's super easy to control.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Long term Phantom user

Have recently sold a couple of phantom 2 drones with GoPro cams after a few years of trouble free use and recently purchased a phantom 4 about a week before the P4 Pro was released. No issues (except the High wind warning that pops up on the Go 4 app regardless of wind speed. Not a big issue, sure it will be fixed in a firmware upgrade. So impressed with video (and Image) quality with these 2 models. As a pilot I am meticulous with pre-flight checks and use the same principle. of "This aircraft is un-airworthy until proven otherwise" with UAV's.
One tip, put something red ( strip of cloth or similar )and prominent on the P4 camera protector ensuring you remove it before flight.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Reliability and Quality have no place in a sentence with DJI

DJI are really over priced pieces of garbage
Certainly not worth $3099 AUD.
The customer service is a complete joke and their quality control is non existent.
Try to get a refund out of these people...it's the blood from a stone story.
i have had 4 replacement drones sent to me.
The first was a recycled drone...that was still damaged and dji tried to pass it off as 100% brand new for the drone that had a 3 in 1 board issue.
The replacement was cracked and dirty and the screen had a dirty big scratch.

The replacement for that came with major firmware issues and 3 months later i still don't have a fully functioning drone.

They would not refund my money so i cut them a deal to send a phantom 4 pro plus after i had reported them to fair trading Australia.
Atleast they were brand new and i would not receive a broken and used drone .
They agreed and yet i still don't have a flying drone.
You would have to be kidding me???

The replacement for the replacements replacement arrived today and yep.. you guessed it ... i have firmware issues and the dji go 4 app keeps crashing right out of the box.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!

DJI ARE COMPLETE RUBBISH AND NOT WORTH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Money well spent

So far only minor hiccups - overall a wonderful experience.
Flying for fun - so far amazing results.

Only point of note- I had a sticky gimbal on opening the box. Turned out to be some adhesive from a cable was sticking to the back of the camera. This was removed by rubbing with my finger allowing the camera to correctly calibrate on setup.

I don't think I've bought anything else I've enjoyed more

If you're looking to get into the Drone world, I'd suggest you don't look at anything else than a DJI branded product. The DJI Phantom 4 is bar far the best value for money Drone on the market. It appeals to the most advanced Pilot all the way to a Novice.

I bought mine from Bing Lee Rhodes, they had a really good display of Drones and I was incredibly surprised at how much knowledge the staff had. I was even able to fly it outdoors before my purchase which was well beyond my expectation.

Drones.

The DJI Phantom 4 is the best drone on the market. Outstrips all other competitors on price, features and onboard avoidance systems. Camera and video are as good as you can get. One of the best purchases I've ever made. And it's great fun. Boys and their toys. Thankyou DJI.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Fell from the air!

Flying for the second time only, made a few flights that were just fine, and then it just turned off the propellers in the sky and went into free fall, crashing on the ground and obviously breaking.
I've only read excellent reviews on it, so I want to let everyone know that this happened! Go to DJI forum and see for yourself that it has happened to other people as well!
If you are flying yours, BE CAREFUL!!!!! Don't fly it over people! I just consider myself lucky it didn't fall on anyone's head! But very frustrated I spent so much money on something that is not reliable!
Also, don't buy it from overseas! DJI is not taking responsibility for it to have it fixed in Australia because I bought it overseas.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Probably the best Entry level drone on the market

I haven't used other drones but from what I've seen on the web, this is the best drone 2k will buy you. Any drone that uses GoPros as the camera will give you pretty distorted aerial footage. Maybe GoPro has fixed this with the Hero 5 but I'm not sure. DJI have nailed the gimbal thing and it shows in the amazingly stable footage you get with this thing.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Perfect for beginners to advanced!

The phantom 4 is my first ever drone and after an initial period of being frightened, lots of flying around my back yard (fairly large) has given me the confidence to try out of sight flying. Would strongly recommend spending a lot of time on the DJI P4 Forum for tips on flying as the manual is fairly basic and only covers the basics. YouTube also has many instructional type videos that cover flying your P4. In all, the craft has many inbuilt systems that make flying a breeze for beginners and advanced pilots alike. The camera allows for a totally different perspective to yopur photos and videos.
Cannot recommend highly enough - 10/10!

Date PurchasedJun 2016