Elna 1000

Elna 1000

See the Best Sewing Machines & Overlockers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Elna? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

2.5
  • Safety
  • Thick Fabric Performance
Susie BGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not for thick fabric. Super basic machine. Probably wouldn't buy again

Very basic machine. I mainly sew hems. I don't sew much anymore and only needed a machine for quick repairs. Couldn't handle seams. Needle broke and unable to raise wheel.

Purchased in April 2021 at Spotlight Retail Stores for $200.00.

Several years in and still love this machine

Purchased at Spotlight.

Sandy PSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst machine I have ever owned

The wheel loosens & the machine 'slips' constantly during sewing . If you keep stopping & starting and tightening the wheel and you can get the needle to move up and down, the stitches form perfectly. It's unusable. Totally frustrating. Awful machine. I can't get it to work for any length of time on poplin, have no idea why it's called 'heavy duty'.

I got it half price on sale. Perhaps this is why they're on sale so often?

Purchased at Spotlight Retail Stores.

Virginia L.
Virginia L.South East Queensland, QLD

When I opened to get the bobbin out the entire circular section fell out with oil pouring over my desk.

Purchased a faulty machine. Following hours unsuccessful myself I contacted store they understood that the circular section surrounding the bobbin had fallen out with oil. Told me to place machine on side as only way the parts would go back in. Did that parts went in but machine still not working and loose around bobbin holder. With difficulty I gained a refund from Spotlight.

Purchased in November 2020 at Spotlight Retail Stores for $180.00.

Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Find out how Elna 1000 compares to other Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Katka
KatkaSydney, NSW

The machine may be OK, but the instruction manual is useless

I used to have a Pfaff [made in Germany] and it lasted me almost 30 yrs. I bought Elna 1000 and realized that it is made in Thailand, not in Switzerland as it insinuates. That might be OK. But open the instruction book and you see right away it is crap. Impossible to follow the instruction, pages are misnumbered etc etc., just pure rubbish that you cannot rely on it for help if something goes wrong. I do not do so much sewing anymore as I used to, but it annoying when something goes amiss and you cannot figure out how to fix it because the instructions are useless. Never again.

Purchased in September 2018 at Spotlight Online Store for $180.00.

Happyheart
HappyheartSouth East Queensland, QLD

Issues with bottom thread can be fixed !!

The machine was great for a year then the bottom thread started to get loopy and uneven. I replaced the bobbin case and everything is great again. I use my machine allot (everyday) so apart from the bobbin casing issue, it is perfect. Only annoying thing is there is no on/off switch.

Purchased at Spotlight Retail Stores for $400.00.

Danikaanne95
Danikaanne95Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Crap sewing machine

Will never recommend this to anyone or buy this crap ever agian.It has either not stitched together my clothes properly or it tears holes into my garments causing a massive mess .Also very high maintenance so steer clear of this one!!!!
Will never buy this crap again smh.But i guess you get what you pay for!!!

Purchased in September 2016 for $300.00.

The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
Fridge and Dishwasher Awards for 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
fridge-and-dishwasher-awards-for-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
Ammar
AmmarSydney, NSW

I have to pay to get a missed instruction manual.

We got one used Elna 1000 from a friend, she misplaced the machine's manual, I e-mailed the company to get a pdf copy, they replied with instruction on how to find their dealers and buying the manual from them, what a cheap company that profit from instruction paper?!

Sewing Experience Level Beginner

Fine with simple sewing, struggles across seams

Straight stitching of two layers of fabric is fine; struggles with seams and skips with two layers of flannel.
Does not like the bobbin being low On thread, stitches unevenly.
Breaks the thread often in the feeds before it gets near the needle.
Purchased machine for a beginner quilter and started using it when she experienced numerous issues, some due to ignorance, others were the machine.
I do not recommend this machine for quilting or sewing thick fabric

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Find out how Elna 1000 compares to other Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Jol
JolCoomera

Ok if you don’t need to sew double fabric or seams

The machine sews fine if you only require to use the straight stitch , as soon as you use the other options the tension adjusts itself ??? I purchased mine only two weeks ago and when I contacted the store they told me “ your tension is too tight “ given I’ve beensewingfor over 30 years I was annoyed they thought I was stupid

Date PurchasedDec 2018
OhyeaHobart, TAS

Lean & Noisy, like a Ferret

Date PurchasedJune 2017

lilfairywren
lilfairywrenasked

I was excited to buy this machine, now with all of the horrible reviews, I'm frightened to use it...

Susie B

Please don't be concerned. It is a very basic machine so it is hard to compare it to more expensive models. I do have a problem when I sew thicker fabric but for hems and small.repairs, it has been ok. If it worries you, are you able to return the machine or exchange it for another model of machine?

Sandy P

It's just a machine. Why would you be scared to use it?

Mine's un-useable. Clutch slips mid-sewing all the time. Took it back to Spotlight for repair. Failed to address the actual fault. Got a patronising response about 'wrong needle' & 'keep machine clear of dust/oiled'. So its gathering dust. Totally waste of my money.

Aloe
Aloe

Don’t be terrified! Any mass produced machine has a percentage of failures and unfortunately with basic models people who have been disappointed are usually the ones passionate enough to review. Some people who reviewed obviously had a VERY faulty machine, but others - may not have put time into working out what they were doing wrong. I hope you have as good an experience as I have, but if you’re really put off then I think Susie B’s recommendation to see if you can exchange for another model you like the sound of is good :)

Katie
Katieasked

We have a brand new Elna 1000 machine, sewed 1 short piece of material fine, now won’t sew properly! The bottom stitch is not working, just looping & knotting up! We have followed the instructions, re threaded everything, have the same cotton on bobbin & top thread, bobbin is threaded correctly etc. but won’t sew properly????

SandyB
SandyBasked

Apart from turning the power off at the wall, is there a hidden light switch that turns the light off on this machine?

Susie B

There is a power switch on the side of the sewing machine. When it is switched on, light comes on automatically. Hope that helps and I understood the question.

Deb M
Deb M

no there is not. has NO on off switch on the machine need to turn of at the wall

CategorySewing Machines & Overlockers