Engel MT35

Engel MT35

MT35F, MT35FP

3.6

Unreliable 12v power lead

I bought an Engel MT-V35F fridge one month ago. One of the cigarette lighter plug's clips bent outwards the first time I plugged it in because it was not seating against the plug's casing properly. The local Engel service centre told me they can't look at it until next year. Engel Australia arrogantly implied that I damaged the plug (by inserting into the cigarette lighter receptacle!?) and told me to buy another plug because they only cost $26! When I protested, the person that I spoke with at Engel grudgingly told me if I can be bothered with the hassle of going through the warranty process they will replace the plug under warranty. Engel refrigerators used to be a "Legend in Reliability' but ‘nothing lasts forever’.

Purchased in November 2020 at BCF Physical Store.

Dave S

Dave S

Awesome Fridge

Purchased an Engel fridge from BCF Blacktown and have been very pleased so far with its operation. Fits into my Subaru Forester XT Wagon with room to spare.
The fridge cools down really quickly and has an internal indent in the lid to accomodate taller bottles.
The customer service at BCF was superbe and the salesman was knowledgable and very helpful.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Excellent fridge/freezer

Have had this unit for 8 years. Never missed a beat. I am single & retired. I travel over 50% of the year and its big enough and it's current draw is quite low. I plug it into the car circuit when I am travelling and I have a 70w solar panel into a deep cycle 65AHr battery for 1 to 2 day stops.

Portable Fridges / Freezers

Find out how Engel MT35 compares to other Portable Fridges / Freezers

Duncan CameronSydney, NSW

240v Power Supply failed

Bad

I have had nothing but trouble with my Engel fridge. I purchased at 30litre model while travelling OZ and within 2 months I had to send it for a warranty repair. The fridge then failed 6 mths after repair. Engel then sent me a replacement unit and now 2 years later I have to throw it away because the compressor and power supply have given up. It is going to cost me the same to repair as it is to replace with a new one. Buy something else.
Good solid construction with lots of accessories.
Poor reliability and expensive to repair.

kenken
kenken

I got 2 x engel 20ltr fridge It fail twice under warrany then 6 years later had to replace.the other one fail needs to be replaced or repaired @ $600.00 not happy!!!!!

puncec

puncec

We used to have one of these for about 3yrs and never had any trouble at all (apart from the annoying thing about the lid - which has been changed in the latest models anyway I believe). It worked great in the car to get the cold food back home (2hr drive to do a big fortnightly shop). Ended up selling it with the car. Had a 40Lt after that and now we are upgrading to a 60Ltr so will let you know how it goes after a few months.
Nothing beats an Engel as they say. It functions well. Never experienced any problems with it.
The lid can be a pain to put back on when taking it completely off the hinge for me anyway (didn't worry my partner though).

angler

angler

Can cope with being beaten around on the back of a ute, will fit in the boot of a falcon.
Tuff as nail, minium power consumption, able to take all Australia conditions, easy to use controls, great range of accessories, two piece 12v tip has a screw in connection for rought condition to stop it rattling out.
Should have gone the 40Ltr for the little bit of extra space.

Wes R

Wes Rasked

MT35

I have an engel MT35-G4-S it runs fine on 240v fridge or freezer but when I use it in the Landcruiser, dual batteries etc, it stops green light on, a slight hum and not getting cold at all, read on line about a possible jammed piston in the push pull electro magnetic compressor, after thumping fridge vigorously it started working again, runs fine on house hold power or when fitted in vehicle on 12 volt BUT when I drive anywhere it jams up again. Have done this several times and can't figure out why, this unit is 11 years old but has only started doing this in the last 4 months, its done a lot of travelling, Tanami, Gibb River, Plenty etc. Can someone Help Please

peter W.

peter W.asked

MT35

I have two mt35 engels and a much older engel. The older one works fine and one of the mt35 works fine, but the newer of the mt35 takes 4 times to start the unit and is very noisy. I am travelling around Aust and in Ipswich Qld at the moment. I took it back to BCF where I brought it. They told me to take it to a Engel repair agent. He had it for a few days and his response was Engel Aust told him that it is a power saving setup. I live in a mobile home and it is very annoying to listen to the fridge try to start up on the forth attempt. Is this an isolated problem or other owners had similar problems. I have got to the stage of ditching it and buying a Waeco or similar. I wait for your reply,thanks. Peter Williams

Tiny
Tiny

Hi Peter, I don't have any experience with later models. I'd sell it to someone who wants one for the back of a ute and buy something else. Perhaps you could try to return it to BCF as it is not fit for the purpose it was purchased for. Sorry I don't have a better answer. regards, Tiny

Toni

Toniasked

MT35

What size solar panel would I need to run the Engel MT35?

john
john

Hi and sorry for taking so long to reply at the moment I have 2 Engel 40lt and 2 deep cycle batteries and my solar panel is a big house one 170x1000 12v 300 watts and had a canvas cover made up to put it in side when Finnish not heavy and my power need is endless . so going for a smaller one may be more since for most of us and for lugging it around . But for me long term travelling around its better for me . So the Engel fridge is the best in my view and has low power consumption and reliable abilities over price yes but if u wont u pay so it seem . I have 2 Engel MR40F Eclipse Fridge Freezer so I have one as a freezer and one for soft food and the way I see it if one dose stop working well I have one left and don't have to panic and not be the mercy of a repairman most of us buy one big fridge and if that stops well your in trouble .

Compare both Engel MT35
CategoryPortable Fridges / FreezersPortable Fridges / Freezers
Price (RRP) A$1,199.00A$1,299.00
Type Dedicated Fridge + Freezer ComboDedicated Fridge + Freezer Combo
Capacity32L32L
Can Capacity44 Cans
Power SourceCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall OutletCar (Cigarette Lighter) and Wall Outlet
FeaturesDigital Display Panel and Interior LightDigital Display Panel
Weight21 kg21 kg
Dimensions 408 x 648 x 364 mm408 x 648 x 364 mm
Construction MaterialSteelSteel
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateSep 2005Sep 2005