4Chescold RC1180

4.1

35 reviews · Statistics

77% · 275 · 14%

This 3-way fridge can run on LPG
Very efficient on LPG (lasts for about four days on a 4kg bottle)
Silent running
Need to buy gas cord and regulator separately
Reviewers often mention the need to replace their element
Brand Manager for Chescold? Claim your listing.
See the Best Portable Fridges / Freezers in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Andrew M.
Andrew M.

amazing fridge

i bough one of the green chestcold 39 litre fridges in around 1995 i have had it plugged into 240 volts or gas when the power goes out and it has been running non stop for that time i have never had even one issue with the fridge i think people are a bit harsh on the reviews on these fridges i can recommend to do four things to have trouble free operation of them 1 level them 2 keep the back clean so they can breath 3 start them up on gas get the element hot before turning on to 240 volts 4 remember they are gas fridges with no compressor with a 12 volt and 240 option not the other way around they are good quality awesome fridges when used the right way. Show details
W GreenNSWMid North Coast, NSW2 posts

Tops any Gas operated fridge

Having owned an RC1180 since 2006, this box has continued to defy all challenges..admittedly it has been strictly utilised as a gas fridge.. thus, I highly recommend it… Show details
David B.QLDSouth East Queensland, QLD13 posts

25 years + and still going strong!!

Purchased in the late 1990's and serviced once in that time ($150), this (Chescold grey) unit is a throwback to when camping gear was made to last.
Runs on gas, 240v and 12v and whilst uses a bit too high amps on 12v, its performance on gas a
makes it the best camping fridge ever owned.
My Evakool TMDZ-50 and G75 Glacier cost similar $$ comparatively but their quality is poor and backup service non-existent. Show details
nevereveragain
nevereveragainbrisbane26 posts

Bullet Proof Fridge

i have owned my fridge for 15 years and only had gas issues ,never swap and go ,always refill and shake your bottle upside down before using ,a real shame they stopped making them as i,d buy another .bullet proof never have to chase the sun ,just set and forget Show details
S.Hauck
S.HauckVICCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Gryphus
GryphusQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts

Rob
Rob

Great fridges

I am now on my third fridge and have never had any issues. Definitely agree they are not a touring fridge but great when you set up camp for several days. I will have cold on 240v before the trip then run on 12v in the car (swapped out the Hungarian plug for an Anderson) & then gas when camping. Tough units which have coped with barge trips to Nth Qld islands and rough 4wd'ing. A service after several years keeps them running like new. Show details
maxwell42
maxwell423 posts

Problems with 12v

I have a Chescold RC1180. Works fine on gas and 240v, but not on 12v. It’s in a camper trailer, Anderson plug connection. Power is getting through to our trailer as our 12v powered lights operate well. . A battery charges the separate battery in the trailer. The fridge top seems warm when we open up, but this may be just be the heat travelling through the trailer. The fridge was fully serviced 6 months ago by an expert, with no problems.
Anyone got some advice?
Max Show details
Andrew
AndrewQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD20 posts

Perfect for Off-Grid Camping

We have had one and it works perfectly on 240v and gas, less so on 12v. Very frugal on gas - I’ve heard tell of a month on a 9kg bottle! Silent and easy to light and set up. Had to buy an aaptor separately for 12v and it basically is of use only travelling from A to B.

Gary B
Gary BQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD10 posts

240V replacement element

I recently had the element replaced as cooling on 240V had stopped suddenly. On gas & 12V it was still ok. I live at the Gold Coast & purchased the replacement element from Dometic at Varsity Lakes. I tried to install the new element myself but that was more of a challenge than I expected so I asked an electrician friend of mine to do the work. I now have cooling again on 240V which is great!

The date purchased below is for the element. The fridge must be at least 10 years old & has been many trips including the longer outback trips.

Shane
ShaneGold Coast47 posts

Angwilbuf
AngwilbufAU6 posts

Love it...would never go back to dry ice!

Have only used it once on a 6 day camping trip but it worked a treat, no issues at all. We run it for a week on 240v prior to camping to make sure all was good And for a couple of hours on gas (side note - you need to buy the gas cord and regulator separately, they don't come with the unit)

We ran it for 6 days and it didn't even use half a 9L gas bottle in temperatures of 30'c +. It kept everything frozen and even froze the milk in the fridge, we just turned it down to low and the food in the fridge stopped freezing but remained icy cold.

Would highly recommend it.

Gary

How many litres

50L

Janine L.
Janine L.

I have an old chescold (1995) 3 way fridge in my camper. I am trying to remove it in readiness for a new one. How do I remove it from the gas line.?I have disconnected the gas bottle from outside but cannot remove the Piece that goes into back of fridge. Should I be looking to remove from here? I am only a newbie to all this so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Steve W
Steve W

Hi Guys
I have had an Rc1180 for some time it still works well although I have never had the need to run the unit on 12volt. I have an MUX with a rear mounted 12volt outlet do I need to leave the red end on the adaptor or take it off to run the fridge in the car,

Look forward to your response
Cheers Steve

David B.

Can't help with that one, just be careful when using in the car with the engine off as these fridges pull 7-8 amps and will flatten your battery real fast.

The Chescold R1180 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, able to be operated on 12V battery, mains electricity, or an LPG canister. It is energy efficient, particularly when run on LPG, and works in all weather conditions. It is highly portable and easy to handle. Reviewers like the Chescold R1180's tough construction and durability. People say this fridge is best for long stays, where you can set up and let it run efficiently on LPG, as its less effective on 12V.

This products 12 month warranty is comparatively less than other portable fridge/freezers.

CategoryPortable Fridges / Freezers
Price (RRP) $999
Type Dedicated Fridge + Freezer Combo
Capacity50L
Power SourceCar (Cigarette Lighter), Gas and Wall Outlet
FeaturesRemovable compartment divider
Construction MaterialPlastic

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Chescold? Claim your listing.
Bushman Original SC35-52