Chescold RC1180

See the Best Portable Fridges / Freezers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Chescold? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• This 3-way fridge can run on LPG

• Very efficient on LPG (lasts for about four days on a 4kg bottle)

• Silent running

Cons

• Need to buy gas cord and regulator separately

• Reviewers often mention the need to replace their element

S.Hauck
S.HauckCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Great long term camping fridge

Gryphus
GryphusSouth East Queensland, QLD

Hard to kill!

Purchased in November 2006 at Gold Coast Camping Store for $990.00.

Great fridges

I am now on my third fridge and have never had any issues. Definitely agree they are not a touring fridge but great when you set up camp for several days. I will have cold on 240v before the trip then run on 12v in the car (swapped out the Hungarian plug for an Anderson) & then gas when camping. Tough units which have coped with barge trips to Nth Qld islands and rough 4wd'ing. A service after several years keeps them running like new.

Purchased in June 2014 at BCF Physical Store for $1,000.00.

maxwell42
maxwell42

Problems with 12v

I have a Chescold RC1180. Works fine on gas and 240v, but not on 12v. It’s in a camper trailer, Anderson plug connection. Power is getting through to our trailer as our 12v powered lights operate well. . A battery charges the separate battery in the trailer. The fridge top seems warm when we open up, but this may be just be the heat travelling through the trailer. The fridge was fully serviced 6 months ago by an expert, with no problems.
Anyone got some advice?
Max

Purchased in April 2002.

Andrew
AndrewSouth East Queensland, QLD

Perfect for Off-Grid Camping

We have had one and it works perfectly on 240v and gas, less so on 12v. Very frugal on gas - I’ve heard tell of a month on a 9kg bottle! Silent and easy to light and set up. Had to buy an aaptor separately for 12v and it basically is of use only travelling from A to B.

Date PurchasedMay 2013

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
Gary B
Gary BSouth East Queensland, QLD

240V replacement element.

I recently had the element replaced as cooling on 240V had stopped suddenly. On gas & 12V it was still ok. I live at the Gold Coast & purchased the replacement element from Dometic at Varsity Lakes. I tried to install the new element myself but that was more of a challenge than I expected so I asked an electrician friend of mine to do the work. I now have cooling again on 240V which is great!

The date purchased below is for the element. The fridge must be at least 10 years old & has been many trips including the longer outback trips.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Shane
ShaneGold Coast

Good hard wearing reliable fridge / freezer.

Date PurchasedSept 2011

Love it...would never go back to dry ice!

Have only used it once on a 6 day camping trip but it worked a treat, no issues at all. We run it for a week on 240v prior to camping to make sure all was good And for a couple of hours on gas (side note - you need to buy the gas cord and regulator separately, they don't come with the unit)
We ran it for 6 days and it didn't even use half a 9L gas bottle in temperatures of 30'c +. It kept everything frozen and even froze the milk in the fridge, we just turned it down to low and the food in the fridge stopped freezing but remained icy cold.
Would highly recommend it.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Gary
GaryPerth

Used to work great but now hopeless.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

LuckyMilesSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good product

Date PurchasedMay 2005

Not working

Plugged in to two different working 240v gpo's and tried the 12v and still nothing. I think I got a dud. Camping in two days time. Stressing now due to work times clashing with store times and it was the last one as they were on special. Will try to swap it over but a bad start so far..

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Jewel
JewelAU

Love It.

Works brilliant on gas, ,in cooler months I even turn it off over night to find everything still cold and items in freezer frozen in the morning . Great insulation, last trip I forgot the gas hose, managed for 3 days with the meat and 2 bottles of water i had frozen before leaving home. I have wrapped the outside with foil insulation for the summer months. A bit heavy to lift in and out but purchased a flat top trolley to move it around on. Had 240 volt wired into car for longer trips, run it on electricity at home.

PhilR
PhilRHunter Region, NSW

Used 4 times in 4 years and now too expensive to repair

When it was working it was great for getting large volumes of drinks cold but it stopped working on gas even though it had a good flame. Then the 240 v stopped and it's too expensive to repair. Quoted 780 to $1000 and it's only 4 years old and only used around 4 times.
My advice is don't buy this rubbish.

Read more reviews - page 2

Marty K.
Marty K.asked

I have a rc1180 its doing nothing on 240v and gas, no heat at all from element on 240 and on gas it lights up but flame is very low and facing downward is this normal for gas. Is it ready for the tip or could it be thermostat problems I've had it upside down overnight and left it upright for another 8hrs before trying it, can't see any leaks or smell any ammonia from the heat transfer unit I'm stumped it just does nothing?

Jim W.
Jim W.asked

I have a dometic F400 portable fridge freezer which I want to run inside my caravan, I would prefer to have the bottle outside and underneath the side of the van but would need to use a longer hose between 1.5 and 2m long depending on what is available. will it work effienctly with the longer lead.

Shane W.
Shane W.asked

Gas won't start

The Chescold R1180 is a dedicated fridge and freezer combo, able to be operated on 12V battery, mains electricity, or an LPG canister. It is energy efficient, particularly when run on LPG, and works in all weather conditions. It is highly portable and easy to handle. Reviewers like the Chescold R1180's tough construction and durability. People say this fridge is best for long stays, where you can set up and let it run efficiently on LPG, as its less effective on 12V.

This products 12 month warranty is comparatively less than other portable fridge/freezers.

CategoryPortable Fridges / Freezers