Garmin DriveAssist

Garmin DriveAssist

51 LMT-S and 50 LMT

See the Best Dash Cams in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

MisterRareSteakMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No map updates, poor routing, dangerous

Readable Number PlatesYes
Car ModelMitsubishi Challenger

Paul

PaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Cheap piece of Rubbish

Purchased in May 2018 at Ryda.com.

Readable Number PlatesNo
Car ModelMitsubishi Triton MQ (2015-Present)
Battery Life

It started out perfectly...

It was wonderful when I first installed it, with great features and ease of use, including allowing subsequent updates without any problem, but now, it won't even switch on, let alone allow the updates which are apparently due.
My wife wants me to chuck it in the bin and return to the Navman DriveDuo we had previously, even though this DriveAssist 51 is/was better. I am seriously considering it...

Purchased in November 2018 at Harvey Norman for $379.00.

Don't trust Garmin

The Garmin 50 started out as a reasonable GPS; but then try and update the maps and it became a $50 piece of junk. The voice command feature just would not work no matter what I tried. Just said the feature was unavailable in Canada in American English. A check of the Garmin Website was a joke. There was a problem with the update a year ago, which Garmin said they would fix, but after a year it is still not working correctly. I have had several GPS over the years since it first came out, and found Garmin to be the worst, with very sad customer relations. My personal advice to anyone looking to buy a GPS, do not buy a GARMIN. The one I have is just a basic $50 piece of junk with no redeeming features. Again do not buy a GARMIN.

Corey

CoreyAspley

Serious navigation issues

I like everything about this unit (voice controlling included) except it’s ability to navigate effectively. On the first day I bought it, it sent me to a dead end less than 400m away from my home. The other two problem areas I have found is that it gives very inaccurate directions when it comes to sealed roads. If I choose to avoid unsealed roads it will still direct me to unsealed roads. This inaccuracy becomes a safety issue in my opinion and Garmin should rectify this. Also when it comes to tunnels it’s presentation of routes gets very confusing and I have found without exception that if I use the gps to direct me I will always go the wrong way. Everything else about the unit works well. I’m happy with the voice command functionality.

BrianNewcastle, New South Wales

Great Unit

Great unit. Can't fault it except now I see it $80 cheaper than I bought it 2 weeks ago at the same store. DOH!
A couple of annoying features that can be turned off. Great screen image and volume. Camera is also moveable so no problem placing it just about anywhere on the windscreen. Also phone works better than the bluetooth on the radio without a voice delay as with the radio. Very happy with this product 51LMT-S.

mcalexy2k

mcalexy2kSydney, NSW

Good GPS with some oppertunities to improve

Greg P

Greg PPerth WA

Inaccurate maps

The biggest problem is that despite maintaining updates, the maps are horribly inaccurate. It is very frustrating getting instructions that youhave no confidence in. Errors mainly in the route choice. It is a problem in old established road networks, not just recent changes. I will go back to a Tomtom prod t.

Do Not buy this

I bought this pricey model because of the extra features like blue tooth working with the phone. However, this feature did not work very well. When I called Garmin they sent me a refurbished model even though I just bought the new one. Then the refurbished one worked worse than the original one.

Nuts

NutsMelbourne

Terrible unit!

Jonno

JonnoMelbourne

Fast and accurate unit with crispy screen and cam inc forward collision warning

PezMurray Bridge, South Australia

A bit disappointing

steveOmacsydney

Good clear unit with dash camera

Bergs

Bergsasked

I've had my Garmin Drive Assist 51 now for a couple of months, One question I have to ask is how do you get the unit's GPS to navigate by landmarks, as well as streets? For example How do you get the unit to say "In 100 metres, turn left at the church into Smith Street", instead of just "In 100 metres turn left into Smith Street"?

Is there a setting in the Device you can change? I have the unit linked to my phone and I have downloaded the Garmin Smart Phone link app.

Mark B
TAREE NSW

MisterRareSteak

There is no setting for this (that I could find), it will sometimes decide to navigate by landmarks and sometimes street names. I think it depends on how prominent it things the landmark is.

George Reilly

George Reillyasked

DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

Why is my GTM-25 cable not compatible? This would only leave the (expensive) option of using my cell phone to get my ‘free’ traffic updates.
Thank you for your assistance to sort this out satisfactorily.
Regards
George

CTAasked

DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

My device keeps on SWITCHING ON and OFF continuously for about 10-15mins almost every morning; then tells me UPDATE OK before I can use.
This is very frustrating especially when I need to navigate to an unfamiliar destination in the morning.
Any HELP will be very much appreciated?

Brian

what update does it mention? Check on pc for map and software updates. If this fails you can reset to factory defaults and if you still have issues contact Garmin.

Thanx Brian, will try that

Get an answer from our members and Garmin representatives

Garmin DriveAssist 50 LMT
  • Discontinued

Garmin DriveAssist 50 LMT

Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

CategoryDash Cams and GPS Navigation SystemsDash Cams and GPS Navigation Systems
Screen Size 5"
Channels 1
FeaturesAutomatic Incident Detection (G-sensor), Bluetooth, Forward Collision Warning, GPS, Lane Departure Warning, Motion Detection, Smartphone App, Voice Control and Wi-Fi
Battery life30 minutes
Display Resolution 480x272 pixels
Free Map UpdatesYes
Battery Life0 hours
Weight191.4 kg
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)