Garmin DriveAssist

Garmin DriveAssist

51 LMT-S, 50 LMT

2.4

• Readable Number PlatesYes (75%) · No (25%)
  • Battery Life
  • Route Choice
  • GPS Location Accuracy

Grant ArmstrongGippsland, VIC

Final Follow Up

Purchased at Johnny Appleseed GPS Physical store for A$420.00.

Car ModelBMW 5 Series E39
Tellyz

TellyzPerth, WA

Mixed feelsings about this unit.

I've had this 18 months now.
What's ok.
Easy to set up, footage, connectivity, easy to install.
What's not ok.
Only months after using it it would lock up. Disconnect power and wait for battery to drain then plug in again is the only solution I've found. It does it regularly on hot days but cooler winter day as well.
Bluetooth phone calls through the unit are not very successful.
I've found Google maps to be more accurate in routes it suggests and Google maps on the phone in portrait seems to give a more suitable orientation.
It was expensive so I did expect a better quality product.

Purchased in September 2017.

Car ModelHyundai i30 PD
Wasteknot

WasteknotSydney, NSW

Failed after 4 months.

What is more annoying than a brand new and expensive device failing after only 4 months?
I purchased a Garmin DriveAssist51 in August, it was working well but it stopped functioning correctly today at 8.30am. Now it is stuck in a weird initializing loop and half a day of troubleshooting and searching online for answers have achieved ZILCH !!!! PLUS: If there is a fix out there somewhere it should not be this hard to find it!
At this point in time I would not & will not ever recommend a Garmin device to anyone.

Purchased in August 2019.

BergsMid North Coast, NSW

Very Good GPS/Dash Cam, with a few annoying short comings

Purchased in August 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$369.00.

MisterRareSteak

MisterRareSteakMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No map updates, poor routing, dangerous

Car ModelMitsubishi Challenger
Paul

PaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Cheap piece of Rubbish

Purchased in May 2018 at Ryda.com.

Readable Number PlatesNo
Car ModelMitsubishi Triton MQ

Gray McGowan

It started out perfectly...

It was wonderful when I first installed it, with great features and ease of use, including allowing subsequent updates without any problem, but now, it won't even switch on, let alone allow the updates which are apparently due.
My wife wants me to chuck it in the bin and return to the Navman DriveDuo we had previously, even though this DriveAssist 51 is/was better. I am seriously considering it...

Purchased in November 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$379.00.

Gray McGowan

Following my previous comment, the Garmin once again failed to open/switch on, so has now been replaced by another brand. Pity, as it's features were superior.

Don't trust Garmin

The Garmin 50 started out as a reasonable GPS; but then try and update the maps and it became a $50 piece of junk. The voice command feature just would not work no matter what I tried. Just said the feature was unavailable in Canada in American English. A check of the Garmin Website was a joke. There was a problem with the update a year ago, which Garmin said they would fix, but after a year it is still not working correctly. I have had several GPS over the years since it first came out, and found Garmin to be the worst, with very sad customer relations. My personal advice to anyone looking to buy a GPS, do not buy a GARMIN. The one I have is just a basic $50 piece of junk with no redeeming features. Again do not buy a GARMIN.

Corey

CoreyAspley

Serious navigation issues

I like everything about this unit (voice controlling included) except it’s ability to navigate effectively. On the first day I bought it, it sent me to a dead end less than 400m away from my home. The other two problem areas I have found is that it gives very inaccurate directions when it comes to sealed roads. If I choose to avoid unsealed roads it will still direct me to unsealed roads. This inaccuracy becomes a safety issue in my opinion and Garmin should rectify this. Also when it comes to tunnels it’s presentation of routes gets very confusing and I have found without exception that if I use the gps to direct me I will always go the wrong way. Everything else about the unit works well. I’m happy with the voice command functionality.

Brian

BrianNewcastle, New South Wales

Great Unit

Great unit. Can't fault it except now I see it $80 cheaper than I bought it 2 weeks ago at the same store. DOH!
A couple of annoying features that can be turned off. Great screen image and volume. Camera is also moveable so no problem placing it just about anywhere on the windscreen. Also phone works better than the bluetooth on the radio without a voice delay as with the radio. Very happy with this product 51LMT-S.

mcalexy2k

mcalexy2kSydney, NSW

Good GPS with some oppertunities to improve

Greg P

Greg PPerth WA

Inaccurate maps

The biggest problem is that despite maintaining updates, the maps are horribly inaccurate. It is very frustrating getting instructions that youhave no confidence in. Errors mainly in the route choice. It is a problem in old established road networks, not just recent changes. I will go back to a Tomtom prod t.

Do Not buy this

I bought this pricey model because of the extra features like blue tooth working with the phone. However, this feature did not work very well. When I called Garmin they sent me a refurbished model even though I just bought the new one. Then the refurbished one worked worse than the original one.

Nuts

NutsMelbourne

Terrible unit!

Jonno

JonnoMelbourne

Fast and accurate unit with crispy screen and cam inc forward collision warning

PezMurray Bridge, South Australia

A bit disappointing

steveOmacsydney

Good clear unit with dash camera

Ericasked

DriveAssist

DriveAssist 51 LMT-HD I've been having an ongoing problem with my screen shutting off all by itself. Sometimes it tries to reboot...gets just passed the restart info and shuts down again, and this can go on all day. Other times the screen just goes blank but I can hear the unit still functioning (moved out of lane etc.). I can unplug the unit from the vehicle power source and it tells me exterior power source disconnected and the countdown to shutdown starts. If I plug it back in the screen comes back to life until it all starts over again. Garmin support just says they've never heard of the unit just shutting down randomly.
I've ordered another battery wondering if maybe there's something wrong with the battery and the GPS isn't actually running on vehicle power but the battery and the vehicle power is just charging the battery.
Its exhausting because other than this I like this DriveAssit 51 features. Though I wish it had the estimated arrival time my older Garmin GPS has.

Eric

Oh, and I have set the screen shutoff time when on battery power to Never.

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem as you are experiencing but on my unit; it started within a few weeks after I purchased it brand new. My problem was that I live well over 100 kms from the shop I bought it at, and could not get back there. The problem kept recurring over and over; every few weeks. I contacted Johnny Appleseed in Melbourne where I purchased this piece of garbage, and all they could tell me was to bring the unit in. My problem was that I had a Heart Attack whilst this piece of trash was still under warranty and underwent a Triple By Pass. I was out of action for 8 months. I contacted the seller to say that I was incapacitated and they told me to bring it in when I was mobile again. Mine had run out of warranty by a poofteenth. I had computer techs near where I lived look at the 51 LMT and they all advised me that the software in the Garmin was corrupted. I took it back to Johnny Appleseed in Melbourne, where they too found it impossible to down load and update the software. The Brisbane Head Office of Johnny Appleseed advised me that if the Unit could not be fixed, Garmin would refund the cost of the unit or replace it without charge. Garmin however had other ideas. Garmin advised that they would NOT refund or replace the Unit, but said that they would sell me another unit. Bollocks to that. I had purchased and used 2 previous Garmin units, and this 51 LMT was by far; the worst I have ever encountered.
I since purchased Google Maps software for my iPhone 11 for $4.95, and it works a treat. I will never again buy any garmin product. Garmin is garbage! PS. My problem had nothing to do with the battery on my unit.

Cam

Camasked

DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

Why cant I use a standard USB power cable in my car. My car does not have a cigarette lighter!!!!

Bergs

I believe you need to purchasing a Garmin specific USB cable to be able to charge the GPS. You will need it because the battery only last about 30 minutes

Rhodes Petros

Rhodes Petrosasked

DriveAssist 51 LMT-S

can you capture a single photo using voice command, say in the case of a questionable action by vehicle ahead?

Bergs

Disappointingly there is no voice command available to operate the dash cam or camera. So to answer your question, no you cant'.