Klipsch R-115SW

Klipsch R-115SW

5.0 from 1 review

See the Best Speakers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Big, Beautiful and Refined

Background:

Over the period of a year I worked on building a 7.2 surround sound theatre set of speakers.

After a great deal of research, I settled on the Klipsch brand. I first got the centre and two side speakers. I then got the two rear speakers and then the front two floor standing speakers.

Once I had them all tuned in via my Onkyo AV receiver I could detect the two Yahama 10 inch sub woofers were not in sync with the Klipsch speakers. They just sounded too buzzy/boomy. I needed something more refined, could go the distance and would not need replacing for a long time, if ever.

I read about the Klipsch Reference sub woofers and compared to specs on the varying sizes, 10 inch, 12 inch and 15 inch. Everything about the 15 inch R-115SW said coverage, class and quality of sound.

Two R-115SW's in Opposing Corners

I got two R-115 SWs and positioned them in the front left and rear right corners and then re-tuned all my speakers again. Result - Totally unbelievable:

- Gone is the constant hum
- Gone is the pitchy booming sound
- Gone is the disjointed soundstage

Here is:

- Perfect harmonisation with all the other Klipsch speakers
- Perfect, tight and clear base delivery
- Perfect impact only and when required
- Total lack of unnecessary base levels (silent when not required)

Hearing and Feeling:

The bass that is delivered goes from sudden environmental pressures of a gunshot, to perfectly clear and concise hum and rumble of a car engine or future jet engine of a Star Wars cruiser, to sound you can only feel but not actually hear.

This sub woofer has the range of 18 Hz to 125 Hz, with a maximum output of 122dB. The sub woofer is capable of 400 watts continuous power output or 800 watts peak power output.

Big Does Not Always Mean Loud:

The Klipsch R-115SW is capable of heart pound, wall-shaking sound but the funny thing about this misconception: is that this speaker delivers the right frequency of base only when it is required. loud sound is mostly covered in all the other speakers, especially the centre, followed by the two front speakers.

The sub woofers deliver the lower end frequencies when they are called for and not before. Once the sub woofer is correctly tuned in: it simply blends in with all the other speakers, delivering a much more rounded, grounded and anchored sound stage.

These speakers act like feather weights, gracefully filling the air with that orchestrated sound and then punch you on the chin like a monstrous heavy weight. This speaker is nimble and exactly refined, with thin, fine streams of sound and in an instant can hit you with so much throughput; it leaves you feeling as if you were really next to John Wick, when he fired the machine gun at the bad guys.

Summary:

The Klipsch R-115 SW is a very big, heavy unit (34.2 Kg) that sits imposingly in the corner.

It doesn't say much unless it is supposed to. When it speaks; you know it, you hear it and the message of that sound is loud and clear. If you don't hear it call: you will certainly feel it.

If I were to rate it out of 100. I could only give it 100. I cannot find a fault.

Final Word:

Way beyond all expectations.