Kogan Portable Air Conditioner

Does the job very well

Purchased this portable unit last summer and we have used it in our large master bedroom and out in our closed in patio. It does the job very well & helps us to sleep better at nights. Pretty good considering we are in Perth and it gets pretty hot! Didn't want to review it until we had used it enough to give an honest appraisal. Happy so far.

Room Type Large Bedroom and Living/Dining Area

Not as good as i thought

The cooling and dehumidifying on this works rather well but the heating not so much. I run at a very low body temperature and never owned an aircon before. I can see why the person sold it as their place is bigger than mine. My place is small but no way to close off the long hallway to the bedroom so i can get better heat. A metre from the aircon its cold as outside so i have to sit right next to it or put a blanket on myself on the couch

Purchased in April 2018 at eBay for $150.00.

Home Insulation Level Not sure
Room Type Living/Dining Area
Hi, thank you for letting us know about your experience. We are sorry that you have been disappointed with your order. We take the quality of our products very seriously and your feedback has been passed onto the relevant team for investigation. If you have not already and you have any questions or concerns about your products, please contact our Help Desk for technical and warranty assistance here: https://www.kogan.com/au/help/.thanks yes i wanted to ask but since its a discontinued product it wasnt listed on your site to ask about. i thought am i not using it properly. i have a very small apartment and this is the first aircon. i did install it thru the front door as i have double doors. the pipe goes thru there

Works Well

During summer, its pretty much ON all the time. So it copes well with high demand and extended usage. I am decently satisfied with the performance. I keeps my room relatively good during extreme summer as long as it is ON all the time. It can be loud at times so It can be annoying at night. During winter I use it as a fan which works well too.

Purchased in February 2018 at Kogan.com for $299.00.

The WORST Portable Air Conditioner I have ever owned

I bought this in December 2018 and within 3 weeks i was getting a constant "FL" error, regardless of the fact EVERYTIME i went to empty the unit, there has either been NO water or at best a few ml.

Here we are 5 months down the track and I am still having the same issue, i have tried to contact Kogan customer service, which have either not replied or followed up to any of my inquiries, i have provided them a video of the issue which again was taken at 3:00am.

I can only recommend that you do not purchase this Portable Air Conditioner unless you like being woken up at 3:00am every morning or 2:00am or 1:00am with the piece of junk flashing the "FL" error despite there being no water in the reservoir.

I have had the air conditioner on the "Fan" setting and still had the same issue 2 minutes into it being on, i have had the heat setting running for 10 minutes to hopefully dry out or defrost the compressor and it still happens.

**Additional Information:** Kogan was given 48 hours to respond to this review, I have received no contact from them. Very disappointing, will most likely be the last time i buy from Kogan.

Purchased in December 2018 for $599.00.

Room Type Small Bedroom
Hi, thank you for letting us know about your experience. We are sorry that you have been disappointed by your interactions with our Help Desk. We take the timeliness and quality of our Customer Service very seriously and your feedback has been passed onto the relevant team for investigation. Please continue to respond to the emails you have been receiving from our Help Desk, and we will be happy to assist you in resolving this issue.

great unit but broke

bought it 2 yrs ago and sold as we got ducted .
the swing broke within a week of buying it but did not affect the unit working it cooled real well and was not too loud besides when it turned on and off .

Purchased in January 2016 for $499.00.

Room Type Small Bedroom
Hi Brad, thank you for letting us know about your experience. We are sorry to hear that your item's swing function broke. We take the quality of our products very seriously and your feedback has been passed onto the relevant team for investigation. If you have not already and you have any questions or concerns about your products, please contact our Help Desk for technical and warranty assistance here: https://www.kogan.com/au/help/

Waste of money

Water cooling component keeps breaking down and continually gets blocked even though it was cleaned regularly. It now only works as a very expensive fan as it cost a few hundred dollars and works no better than a twenty dollar pedestal fan

Purchased in September 2018 for $200.00.

Room Type Living/Dining Area
Hi Leanne, thank you for letting us know about your experience. We are sorry that you have been disappointed with your item. We take the quality of our products very seriously and your feedback has been passed onto the relevant team for investigation. If you have not already and you have any questions or concerns about your products, please contact our Help Desk for technical and warranty assistance here: https://www.kogan.com/au/help/we returned the product after 1 to 2 days of use and a new one was sent . the same problem happened after a few days. Obviously this product has a faulty component which should be investigated.

It’s just OK

It does the job for a 6m x 6m room.
It’s quite noisey compared to other units I have owned.
The WIFI smart remote is not very intuitive at all and the manual supplied is for another unit.
It does work but it’s not the best out there, yet again for $399 you get what you pay for.

Purchased in February 2019 for $399.00.

Room Type Large Bedroom
Hi Charchie, thank you for letting us know about your experience. We are sorry that you are disappointed with the product you ordered from us. Our buying team works hard to provide the best quality products at the best prices for our customers and we stand by them. If you have not already and you have any questions or concerns about your products, please contact our Help Desk for technical and warranty assistance here: https://www.kogan.com/au/help/

Pretty Good

I bought my unit the Sunday before a public holiday and it still arrived on the Thursday at lunchtime which was fantastic. That day it was 38 degrees where I live with about 90%humidity. Cooled the house significantly in 30 minutes, left it on and went out for 2 hours and came back the room was lovely and cool. A little noisy but well worth the money for the 10/15 odd days that it got to the high 30s and low 40s in my town. Should have bought it at the start of summer.

Purchased in January 2019.

Cheap brand...

Anyone who wants to buy this....please read this first. I put on this small room that could only fit a single bed and it takes till morning to cool it...its just a blower with a bit of cold air. And the noise that it makes...cant believe there is still an aircon like this one nowadays. Its like running a generator inside your room. I woke up 4 times...it should have come with an earplug. Its a cheap china made component...never going to buy from dick smith kogan again.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Oh bless The

We have this sitting up on our bench for our impractical designed rental house. We try and push its air as far as possible through our openended house with fans. It does pretty damn okay considering what we are asking it to do. And it makes cooking or having to be in the kitchen in ridiculous heat that little bit more doable. Before it wasnt even an option. We have had it on all day and the tubing seemed to eventually throw off some heat but that could well also be the outside air temperature coming in somewhat. I love that it swings its vents and i can even manually direct the vents to my choosing at any moment. We havent used the heating or remote yet. Just chilling 17degrees air.
I am very grateful for this machine. And yes it is noisy-ish. (About as noisy as you hear machines.on the outside of houses sometimes) Some days i notice it bothering me slightly but who cares if its not as hoT.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Decent for my purpose, but build quality isnt the best.

Bought the larger 4.1kw (14,000BTU) model off Kogan about 24 months ago. The 3 directional flaps which move broke down after 2 months (maybe 30 hours of usage) but I didn't deem it a big enough issue to contact Kogan about. I tried to use this to cool the lounge room which joins the kitchen which is about 35sq meters total which is more than the 30sq they advertise. Wasn't really able to feel much of a difference when i turned it on and off, so even though I used it for a bigger space than intended, I wouldn't trust it for a room as big as they rate it (30sqm).

Now I use it to cool my rear bedroom which is about 10-12 square meters. it does the job quickly for that size room. But it's very noisy compared to the in wall split system i have in the master bedroom. The sound kind of reminds me of an air compressor with ear muffs on. You get used to it, but its still loud. Like some others have mentioned the window seal is a little cheap. Would prefer it to be longer as there is about 5 inches at the top of the window that it doesnt cover.

Pros:

- cools well for a smaller room
- asthetically looks good (in my opinion)
- reasonably priced

Cons:

- Window seal isnt great
- loud for the bedroom but you get used to it. would be less of an issue in a smaller lounge room with tv noise cancelling it out etc, but definitely still noticeable.
- quality isnt great. Seems roughly build, and smaller components broke down within months.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Lovely

I didnt expect this air con to be as good as it is but it is amazing! It doesn’t take long to cool down our whole loungeroom and once everything is closed up the room gets quite cool and it’s just bliss on those super hot muggy days here in Brisbane, if you live here you know those days I’m talking about! It was easy to set up and we also duct taped the window kit to the window frame so it’s nice and secure. Other portable air cons we’ve had in the past don’t even compare to this one! It blasts cold air throughout the room instead of just one direction so everyone in different areas can feel cool instead of just the person sitting directly in front of it. Probably our best purchase this year by far. Very happy family here.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Wish we'd bought one sooner

******Edit***
Just found out that it adds $150 to our quarterly electricity bill for the summer*****

Bought this for our kid's room as it gets up to 30+ degrees in there in summer. So happy. Knew we were buying budget, but really happy with the quality. Room size is 11m2 and it cools it down well. It doesn't get icy cold but we never expected it to. The kids sleep through the noise and honestly, it's not that noisy. Read a lot of reviews stating it was too noisy but it's quite good. I've had more annoying ceiling fans than the low hum of this thing.

Haven't had it long enough to see how it impacts our electricity bill but my partner and I agree it's worth whatever to help get the kids to sleep more comfortably... and longer!! We are on a tight budget too so that means a lot to us.

If Needed a bigger room cooled, would definitely buy a bigger size but this is great for us and super easy to install.. very low drama which is a pleasant surprise.

Purchased in November 2018 at Kogan.com.

Works OK, Consumes a lot of electricity

I got the 4.1kW (14,000 BTU) unit. It works fine, not too much noise. However as soon as you switch it off the room heats up very quickly, so I need to keep it running all night. This consumes A LOT of electricity. Not worth return on investment if you ask me. The window seal kit is absolute rubbish and lets a lot of hot air in from outside.

The Air Exhaust hose gets very very hot, and because it needs to run inside the room from the aircon to the window it heats up the room. Overall, not impressed. Got rid of it after 2 month usage.

Not particularly energy efficient in relation to their size. A 4kw unit could easily cost around $1 an hour to run, which could get pricey in the summer months; add to that their limitations in cooling larger rooms and you might have an expensive disappointment on your hands.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Works well in a smaller room.

This was able to work quite well for heating and cooling in a smaller, closed room. As you would expect, in a larger room it struggles and we have ended up using just a normal fan or heater when needed. The other issues we had is that it seems to fill up very quickly and found ourselves having to empty the tank 1-2 times a day.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

great little aircon

This unit has really surprised me, it can easily cool down a bedroom within about 30mins and is very quiet so you can sleep with it on at night, especially in summer.
This unit is easily moved around the house where and when required. I am very satisfied with this purchase.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

An Air Con That Isn't An Air Con

Very bulky and heavy to move around, even with the wheels.
The exhaust pipe is big and the window kit isn't tall enough for the window height so the sliding window is always allowing the air from outside to get in. The window kit does not fit securely into the window and can easily fall out.
I use a standard bucket to capture the water waste. It can fill up very quickly. On many occasions it has overflowed onto the carpet.
It's supposed to shut down when it reaches a set temperature but it doesn't do this. It continually stays on until you turn it off.
My electricity bill has skyrocketed during winter and summer due to using it.
In summer it struggles to cool the room when the temp gets into the 30s. I live in WA and summer temps can get up to 40 but average around 33 to 36. The digital thermometer can show 30 (as high as it goes) In the house.
It doesn't really cool the room. It just blows cold air into the room and after a few hours the room does feel cooler (colder) but as soon as you turn off the unit the room heats up again. Many a times the room has become cold and I've had to pull on the doona and this is in summer!
You need to be close to the unit to feel the cold air otherwise it barely reaches you.
It's a little noisy but not too annoying.
In winter it struggles when the house gets cold!
It seems it works ok as long as the room doesn't get too hot or cold and it doesn't have a uniform effect on the whole room. You usually have to be close to the unit to make the most of it.
It has a dehumidifier (dry) mode but surprisingly all it does is blow cold air at you but it does seem to make a humid room cold.
(Note: review appeared under my old account Rusty T)

Additional Comments - June 2018:
Have been using the heating function lately. The unit was turned off for a while. The sleep mode for heating has started working again, however, it just blows cool lukewarm air. I've had to crank the temp upto 30 degrees C just to get some heat from it. Not very reliable. Looks like its gonna cark it!!!! Useless product. The electricity bill has increased a hell of a lot.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Best thing ever bought in summer

I was initially skeptical with buying portable air conditioner as I read previously they are very noisy but I found the Kogan portable air conditioner's noise to be not as loud as I heard. Good thing about this air conditioner is that it has an auto shut off timer. It is not bad for a medium room size.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

I was expecting something noise, but this is ridiculous. The tiny water reservoir fills several time

While this unit does heat, and cool reasonably well, the noise level is insane.
I understand these are noisy, but Its impossible to consider this for residential use. I cad hear the pump through my noise cancelling headphones.
The water reservoir fills up every 2 hours, and the machine stops working until you empty it.
Consider other options!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Good Little Aircon

This saved our hides this summer. Our bedroom really cops the afternoon sun and this saved the day. It has just enough output to take the edge off the hottest days and it quite cold if you are directly in front of it. Its more like a fan that blows refrigerated air. They make more powerful models but this was cheap! It is well enough made and comes with a window kit and air hose.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

I have a KAPORAIR12GA unit. When I have it on the "Heat Mode" should the drainage tank be filling and needing drainage? [email removed]
Yes this happens from time to time. The unit did come supplied with a tube which fits over the outlet so it can drain into a larger container.

how to exit FL mode on 5.2kw partable kogan reverse ctcle
There is one plug for the water the water reservoir. That’s the one that you fill up with water usually and may have a black plug and white cap. Then you have a second white plug with a white cap usually at the very bottom of the middle part of the machine that nearly sits on the ground level. Once that is drained it should solve your issue. Took me a little investigating and two days to figure it out. But pretty sure it should be in the manual. Kind regards, Richy

HOW TO EXIT FL mode

Kogan KAPORAIR14GA (4.1kW)Kogan KAPORAIR10GA (2.9kW)Kogan KAPORAIR16MA (4.7kW)Kogan KAPORAIR12GA (3.5kW)
CategoryPortable Air ConditionersPortable Air ConditionersPortable Air ConditionersPortable Air Conditioners
Price (RRP) $799.00$599.00$999.00$749.00
Features Dehumidifying Function, On/Off Timer and Remote ControlDehumidifying Function, On/Off Timer and Remote ControlDehumidifying Function, On/Off Timer and Remote ControlDehumidifying Function, On/Off Timer and Remote Control
Cooling Capacity4.1 kW29 kW4.7 kW3.5 kW
Reverse Cycle YesNoNo
Cooling Capacity14,000 BTU10,000 BTU16,000 BTU
Weight29 kg21.5 kg38 kg
Dimensions 830 x 340 x 443 mm756 x 352 x 300 mm765 x 397 x 466 mm775 x 463 x 382 mm
Maximum Noise Level56 db56 db55 db
Max Room Size 252030
Max Room Air Flow 350 m³/h350 m³/h406 m³/h
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)1 year(s)1 year(s)

Download manual