1.0 from 1 review

See the Best Ceiling Fans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Multiple failures of Martec DLS1344W with both Premier and Duo Remote Kits

I had an electrician install 5 Martec DLS1344W Lifestyle Ceiling Fans with Premier remote kits and 2 of the 5 remote transmitter units failed within days. Martec forwarded 2 new Premier remote kits and the electrician swapped out the faulty ones. I was not easy to get Martec to honor the replacement of these, but eventually they agreed.

In a second premises, an electrician installed 3 Martec DLS1344W Lifestyle Ceiling Fans, this time with Martec Duo remote kits, and was to install 3 additional fans purchased with Martec Duo remote kits, however before this occurred one Duo Remote wall unit of the original 3 failed. We tried all 3 "spare" ones which were to be used in the other fans once installed (first setting the code to match that of the installed failed Duo wall unit)- ALL 3 of the "spare" units were tried on ALL 3 of the installed fans (resetting the code to match that of the installed fan in each room) - None of the 3 worked at all.

The retailer, Lighting Illusions were very helpful and told me that they had stock of 3 Duo units and would get all 3 to my closest store. I collected these one at a time, tried each of the 3, and NONE of the 3 worked on any of the fans.

On contacting Martec, they advised me that the Duo remotes were no longer produced and therefore refused to honor any warranty on these - basically telling me that since they could not supply the Duo units any more, they could not or WOULD NOT do anything at all, so I was on my own.

I took the case off the failed unit (since these are only battery operated) and was horrified to find that it had a manufacture date indicating it was 5 years old at purchase. I then checked the other units and manufacture dates were just as old, or older. In this process I could also identify that the manufacture and assembly quality was extremely poor, where soldering displayed poor workmanship (crystallized joints), the solder flux had not been cleaned off (as should have been done), the battery supplied was tested (found to be below voltage so part discharged at purchase - I purchased and tried new batteries), the battery did not fit properly and the push buttons stuck as often as not. The original working units are more trouble than they are worth because of the manufacturing defects mentioned. I actually have to push on the battery to get the buttons to respond as a result of the poor fitment of the battery in the battery holder.

Absolutely the first time I have ever known of electronic devices "aging to failure on the shelf" as the built-in obsolescence feature!

See all Martec Lifestyle Series reviews