Mazda BT-50

See the Best Utes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Excellent solid dual cab 4x4

We bought our 2009 model (manual) with 104,000 ks on it in 2013. We've since done another 170,000 ks without incident.

It came loaded with everything we wanted (canopy, bullbar, hd roofrack, cruise control, drawers) and we've added plenty of weight with tools, spares, second battery and solar panel and we consistently get under 10lt per 100 ks highway use.

We add Chemtech Diesel additive every fill. This helps keep the fuel system clean and we've had zero issues with injectors/pumps etc. Pays for itself in extra milage too.

We've towed a fairly heavy camper trailer around Oz and with it behind we average 12lt per 100 ks. That's across all road surfaces (and some non-road).

We love the car and look after it properly.

Purchased in December 2013 for $23,000.00.

Year2009

fuel consumption whilst towing

dpf (diesel particulate filter) i owned 2013 bt 50 xtr and tow a 3 ton caravan to darwin and back home to victoria each year so happy was i that when i returned home last year i upgrade to a new 2018 sept build gt bt50 i have a scan guage and one setting on scan guage measures g e t (gas exhaust temperature) not towing every 80 k,s the g e t rises from 300 degrees celcius to 600 c and burns for 17 k,s about 1.6 litres of diesel is injected into cylinder on exhaust stroke and burns the particultes (soot) that are trapped in the dpf whilst towing however the burns happen more regular and i noted 3 burns every 115k,s this is unbelievable as it wastes about 4.5 litres of diesel every 100 k,s my older bt 50 would average around 17litres per 100 whereas my new bt50 average this year to darwin was 22litres per 100 k,s i used an extra 200 litres of fuel for the same journey the worst with head winds 24 litres per 100 k,s the best 19 litres per 100 k,s with tail wind when i purchased vehicle i was told consumption would be the same as my old bt 50. not towing old vehicle 9.2 litres per 100 k,s new vehicle 13 litres per 100 k,s driven the same same accessories same tyres The new vehicle is fitted the same as previous vehicle same accessories etc if i knew what i know now 8 months ago i would have kept my old vehicle. from late 2016 all diesel vehicles coming in to australia have to comply with euro 5 emissions and that will kill the dominence of the diesel car used for towing. so in the future what will we use to tow i warn everyone too think intensly if your worried about fuel economy on what to purchase i can assure you dont purchase a mazda or ford ranger as i have spoken to ranger owners and they are wasting about the same fuel as the mazda they have the same engine and transmission only slightly different computer settings

Purchased in November 2018 at berwick mazda for $55,000.00.

fuel consumption

my previous car was 2013 3.2 bt 50 after 120,000 k,s i was so happy i traded in for a new bt 50 sept 2018 build at home in country victoria old car 8.7 to 9.2 litres per 100 k,s new car 12.4 to 13.5 litres per 100 i have scan guage fitted one of the guages has g e t (gas exhaust temperature) setting this is the only way you know when a regen or burn is occuring in dpf (diesel particulate filter) in this vehicle. this occurs around every 80k,s then a burn occurs for around 17 k,s i know this because the g e t are around 300 degrees celcius and then they rise up to 600 degrees celcius . i tow a 3 ton caravan to darwin each year and i usually average around 17 litres per 100 k,s 14 litres with tail wind and 19 litres with head wind however this year with new vehicle i averaged 22 litrs per 100 k,s 24 litres head wind and 19 litres tail wind. new car has the exact accessories as old car bullbar canopy etc same weight towing same caravan however i kept a close eye on scan guage after a burn lasting 15 k,s it would travel around 25 to 30 k,s and then another burn would occur so every 40-45 k,s there would be a complete cycle around 3 burns every 110-115 k,s at about 1.6 litres of diesel would get injected each burn into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke and the unburnt diesel gets caught in the dpf and burns the diesel particulates (soot) trapped in the filter stopping every one from getting cancer this year i used an extra 200 litres of fuel to arrive at the same destination of the last 10 years i can warn people that are concious of fuel economy dont buy a mazda bt 50 or ford ranger as the 2 have identical motors and transmissions only difference is slightly different computer settings and i have spoken to ranger owners and they too are using excessive fuel the sales people assured me when i purchased new car that the fuel economy was the same even on the front windscreen the fuel usage was the same as in 2013 when i purchased my first bt 50. the days of using diesels to tow caravans and heavy trailers are coming to an end since late 2016 all diesel cars coming in to australia have to comply with euro 5 emissions

Purchased in November 2018 at Berwick Motor Group for $55,000.00.

Don’t bother fixing

Known to have injector issues at any time, but particularly after 180,000 kms.
If your engine light comes on, pull over. Even if the vehicle seems to still be driving fine, the ECG can tell that you have a troublesome injector.
Don’t listen to the mechanic/dealership if they say to only replace the one faulty injector: replace them all.
...
If, like me, you only replaced the faulty injector, be prepared for the next issue to be a different injector to stick and over-fuel your engine, consequently referred to as a “blown-up engine”.
Expected damages will include bottom-end bearings and bent valves.
Don’t listen to the mechanic/dealership if they tell you the bottom-end is fine, and
Don’t allow the mechanic/dealership repair only the top-end of the motor.
...
If, like me, you trust the dealership when they say that replacing the bent valves is all that is required,
Do not allow the mechanic/dealership to re-use the same heater-hoses and thermostat.
...
If, like me, you were unaware that the mechanic/dealership routinely re-uses the old heater hoses and thermostat, be prepared for your next issue to be a leaking hose or faulty thermostat, and possibly even a blown-up motor with bottom-end damage.

Do not expect the mechanic/dealership OR Mazda to provide any support for the wasted time and money.

Purchased in May 2016 for $14,000.00.

Year2008

Floor falling apart

Bought a new freestyle bt50 and noticed the vinyl flooring warping, Mazda Darwin told me there’s no point replacing it as they are all a faulty batch and would just be as bad as the original, seriously what an answer

Purchased in April 2019 at Mazda Dealers for $41,000.00.

Interior Design

Mazda BT50 - Problems from day one !

Mazda BT50 nothing but problems from day one!
This has included the car being delivered with a dent in the bonnet (that ever other person except Mazda can see) , tailgate badge not straight, ongoing issues with the gear box even after being replaced under warranty , driveline vibrations that was fixed under warranty, DPF regen problems, leaking rear main fixed under warranty, leaking rear axel seal fix under warranty.
I have never had so much trouble with a vehicle and is the worst purchase to date.
I will never buy a Mazda again.

Purchased in August 2016.

Year2016

BT50 and service

Purchased 8 months ago. Painful purchase and information by sales and company conflicting. Purchases new and also new Mazda canopy. Canopy leaks and was told...you need to expect a canopy leaks. Um...no! They are to keep things dry and secure. Did not just leak...flooded and wet all camping equipment. They siliconed and what a mess. Still leaks. Was told to find the leak and let them know. Sorry that's not how srrvice works. Siliconed again. Still leaks. So found it myself which is no where near the 2 different siliconed areas. They will now hear about it at service time. I have spoken to others and been advised...no my canopy does not leak. Dear me Mazda. Improve your service.

Purchased in August 2018 at Mazda Dealers.

Comfort

Poor fuel consumption. I feel ripped off

2018 Xt with a dpf filter. Use my car for work. I actually love the car. I am just extremely disappointed with the fuel consumption. 13.7 L/100 around town I’m actually scared to do the math at the bowser because I no it will be higher then it states on the dash. Has anyone had any luck at the dealer sorting out a solution? False advertising!!!!!!!

Purchased in January 2019 for $37,000.00.

No support from Mazda Just an$8000.00 quote to fix Be very aware

My2017 BT50 has a blocked DPF at 87,000 kilometres . Went to Mazda they said I must have got a bad tank of fuel . They said the cost was round $8000.00 to repair . I only use BP fuel travel country miles (no City ) driving at all . Most trips are around 250 k each time . I find this appalling that this is not covered under warranty . This is my 16th Mazda and my last . I have since found out that Mazda have replaced some of these BUT BUT BUT only if you have had all your services done by a Mazda Dealer . That stinks as there is no Mazda dealer where I live so I get it serviced by a local mechanic .

Purchased in February 2017.

Year2017
Comfort

Fuel economy is no were near as advertised

2018 freestyle cab tray back is only averages 14-17 ltr too the 100 ks on open road and Mazda isn't interested in fixing it to advertised litres to 100 has any one had any Luck with getting it fixed with Mazda or any other company to remap DPF

Purchased in June 2018 for $50,000.00.

Comfort

The worst new vehicle I've ever purchased.

Use car for work. First tank of fuel returned about 320km. The most I've ever had is 500km for a tank (72L) and that was Sydney - Goulburn return so all freeway. On average I get 350 to 400km for 72 - 74Litres of fuel. Other owners I know get 650km around town with the same vehicle at a similar loading.

Purchased in December 2018 for $55,000.00.

Love My BT-50

My BT is awesome and tows easily 2500kgs. Hills where my speed dropped driving my Prado the BT-50 does effortlessly. I do a lot of off road and have optioned up and it has made the truck better then my 80 series Landcruiser.

Purchased in November 2018 at Sydney Wide Chiropractic for $46,999.00.

BT50 -Disappointed

I bought a Mazda BT Dual 2012 model cab early last year as a work vehicle with 180k on the clock. I use the vehicle during the week too transport workers and equipment doing about 1000km a week. The vehicle was serviced every 10k. The previous owner had issues. He replaced an inter-cooler, top turbo hose, radiator coolant line and 2 gearboxes. To Mazda's credit, they replaced the gearboxes at 80k and 160k. The current gear box was staring to clunk at 240k with only 80k since replacement. The steering box also started to rattle over corrugations. Other than these issues the BT was good to drive with adequate power for work and towing. All okay until 2 weeks ago when the turbo blew about 9pm , 30 mins south of Gunnedah. This caused the the engine to rev over 4.5k uncontrollably. this in turn destroyed the gear box and engine to blow cruising at 110km. As I came to a stop on the side of the road, the engine bay caught on fire, then second later the oil leaking under my car caught on fire, then igniting the dry grass under the BT. I tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher I carried, but it ran out before I could totally put the fire out. The remaining fire reignited the oil. Attached photos show what a Mazda BT looks like when its on fire and remains after the fire.
After some research online, I found out that the Mazda Bt's have had turbo issues. This experience has been disappointing and costly as I have not only had to buy a new work truck, but also steel tray, bull bar, two way radio, driving lights, mines compliance mechanical and lighting requirements, tool boxes, tools and personal items. I have bought a new dual cab, But not a mazda bt.
All I can say is, buyer beware.

Purchased in March 2018 for $19,000.00.

Year2012

a work car that only works for 7 years

We bought this car as a work vehicle, and for 6 years it worked however we have now spent the equivelent of its value getting it back on the road, The head cracked and had to be replaced, according to our mechanic a common occurance in 6 year old BT 50's, now we have to have the fuel pump replaced another common fault, we purched the car in 2012 and thought that it would last a lot longer before it needed any major work its done 240,000 KM this should not be a lot for a diesel motor of this age, would never buy another Mazda.

Purchased in February 2012.

Year2011

Infotainment unit

Has stopped coming on at all. Took it back 2 months ago and Mazda said they fixed. Not happy at all. No rear camera and Sat Nav as well. Need as I'm disable. If anyone has this problem please let me know. Thanks

Purchased in January 2018 for $48,000.00.

Take off slow

Hi
Well i love the BT50 very much.
It does have a downfall though, if you stick your boot into it to over take or just to take of quick you will be disappointed.
This ute goes nowhere, its like it doesnt kick back no power and no action just nothing, very dangerous if moving in front of other vehicles.

Purchased in May 2018 at Parland Mazda for $50,000.00.

BT50 - a reliable and great car

I use my BT50 to get around town on a daily basis. It is a very reliable car with not too many electronic gadgets on it so it does not distract you from driving. I use the Android Auto feature to use google maps and my music on my android phone, which is easy to use.

Purchased in August 2018.

Never again

Problem from day one and it never stopped can't mention everything can only use 30 words by 60000 drive belt went 90000 turbo went at 150000 gearbox went so don't.

Purchased in November 2015 at Rolf Mazda phillip for $50,000.00.

Year2015

Radio Reception issues

Have a 2018 Mazda BT50. New. The radio reception is very poor quality.
This may sound like a trivial first world problem but when you spend a lot of money, do a lot of driving and experience a radio that is very poor, it annoys me every time I get in the car.
Mazda has been so poor with their service follow-ups that when I buy a new vehicle next year, probably go back to Toyota. Just sick of it and the poor service.

Badge1
BodyUte
Engine Size3.2L Turbo-Diesel
CabDual Cab
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great car until disaster struck

2012 BT50. Optioned up and paid $50,000. Always a good, robust car to drive until last week. 144,000KMs and 6 years down the track the engine seized. Mazda service guys say - new engine - $25,000 + $3,000 labour. Obviously I am out of warranty - and looks as though my servicing averages 14,000KMs instead of the recommended 10,000KM. That said, should an engine just seize like that? The oil was at the right level - first thing I checked. So how does this happen? The Mazda tech told me they see this too often - the oil pump is stuffed, so plenty of oil but not being circulated. He also told me that no amount of servicing would prevent a sudden failure of such a critical component. Never heard a thing from Mazda - disappointing and feel let down. I get after 6 years things may start to go wrong - but to write the care off?? We are a Mazda family, and I'm sure their product is as good as anyone else's - but the communication was nil from the manufacturer so it has taken away my trust in the Mazda brand. A quick thumbs up for the dealer though. The car was towed to Brookvale Mazda - I didn't buy the car there, didn't get it serviced there - but they looked after me really well. I believe I am/was owed an explanation from Mazda as to how a car worth $25,000 one day is worthless the next.

Purchased in July 2012 for $50,000.00.

Year2012