Mazda BT-50

Radio Reception issues

Have a 2018 Mazda BT50. New. The radio reception is very poor quality.
This may sound like a trivial first world problem but when you spend a lot of money, do a lot of driving and experience a radio that is very poor, it annoys me every time I get in the car.
Mazda has been so poor with their service follow-ups that when I buy a new vehicle next year, probably go back to Toyota. Just sick of it and the poor service.

Badge1
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great car until disaster struck

2012 BT50. Optioned up and paid $50,000. Always a good, robust car to drive until last week. 144,000KMs and 6 years down the track the engine seized. Mazda service guys say - new engine - $25,000 + $3,000 labour. Obviously I am out of warranty - and looks as though my servicing averages 14,000KMs instead of the recommended 10,000KM. That said, should an engine just seize like that? The oil was at the right level - first thing I checked. So how does this happen? The Mazda tech told me they see this too often - the oil pump is stuffed, so plenty of oil but not being circulated. He also told me that no amount of servicing would prevent a sudden failure of such a critical component. Never heard a thing from Mazda - disappointing and feel let down. I get after 6 years things may start to go wrong - but to write the care off?? We are a Mazda family, and I'm sure their product is as good as anyone else's - but the communication was nil from the manufacturer so it has taken away my trust in the Mazda brand. A quick thumbs up for the dealer though. The car was towed to Brookvale Mazda - I didn't buy the car there, didn't get it serviced there - but they looked after me really well. I believe I am/was owed an explanation from Mazda as to how a car worth $25,000 one day is worthless the next.

Purchased for $50,000.00.

Bad
Bad
TransmissionManual

My daily

Use it for work mostly. But some off-road 4x4 as well. Handles well stock but lift is needed because of low clearance.I would recommend getting a good set of MT/AT for off-road conditions, lesson I learnt. I've had it serviced its whole life and up to 330000k still going strong

BadgeSDX
Date PurchasedOct 2009

Cars fine tows well with 21.6 van

Use car every day get to work tow boat caravan 2.8 tone find fine except for the fuel filter leaking after 4 to 5000 ks has happened twice replace filter and fine why does this happen use ryco fillters and have done on all my cars never had issues like this before has anyone else???

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Drive4WD

2016 XT 4x4 C/Chas Auto. Has had it's problems but running well now.

Daily driver. Tradie. City car also used for long distance driving, towing 13ft off road van, dirt/ gravel roads in high range. Never been in low range. Serviced every 10000km, Reviewed at 40000km.
The morning after picking it up from the dealer it was returned on the back of a flat tray with a faulty EGR valve.
Repaired that day and sent back home. At 17000km while towing new caravan on first trip car engine shutdown without warning. No warning lights. Towed to nearest dealer 300km away. Can't fix. Towed another 1000km with caravan to original dealer in Melbourne. Fuel pump destroyed. Mazda had to replace full fuel system, pump, injectors etc. Told it is was a known design fault and should of been rectified years ago.
Mazda sorted it 2 weeks later. $17000 repair job under warranty.
No issues since then.
Fuel economy. 15L/100km towing. 14L/100km around town with tools loaded.
Just did 6000km round trip not towing, unloaded with 2 people and got it down to 12km/100km.
Has bull-bar and BFG all terrains so expect higher consumption.
Would I buy another one?

CabSingle Cab
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Love my Ute

This is my daily drive and my getaway vehicle. Great for running around town with the kids and easy to reverse park. Also great as a weekend adventure vehicle. Use the car daily and have never had a problem. Good on diesel and a real dream to drive. I would recommend.

BadgeGT
Date PurchasedOct 2018
Drive4WD

Engine to be replaced with D max

Had 2 2014 model BT 50. replaced a manual transmission at 60,000 klms under warranty. Advised to never tow in 5th gear! On the other BT 50 engine died when the egr cooler failed and let water into the intake, terminal! Now told by a Mazda tech to install an oil catch can to prevent oil and exhaust gas into the intake to prolong engine life. It's legal too. A Mazda tech advised me that there are many issues with the BT 50 engine and in late 2019 Mazda will replace their engine with the D Max!!!!!

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Drive4WD

Are all Alpine head units as bad as this?

No probs with the vehicle... as such,
but,

My New BT50 has an Alpine X208AU fitted as standard.

From day one No AM radio reception (we live in the bush)
Reversing camera image fuzzy and ghosting...

On the second day – no reversing camera.

One month later-
- no volume controls (from either front panel or steering wheel.)
- android auto wont work.

Q. I there a dedicated forum for this junk?

Date PurchasedNov 2018

could be better

After having owned a 2013 BT-50 freestyler in which I did over 200k with the only problem being the EGR cooler springing a leak , I purchased a new 2018 model. The first thing you notice is that nothing much has changed in the 5 yrs between models. The exception is the Alpine in car system. Really not good enough as surely things have progressed in that time but nothing has changed. One big change is the fuel economy which is poor compared to our previous models. The early models averaged 8.4 ltr/100k while this one does 11.4 or over 200k per tank less. Not happy. the Alpine system worked great initially but 6 mths on it has all sorts of problems and can not complete even basic things like making voice or text by voice command. Mazda is stumped and keeps telling me to re-install the app on my phone which I have done several times. The standard tyres are still rubbish if not down right dangerous in the wet. Though still a good ute it is living in the past as far as mod cons go. Needs a update for sure and the next ute is going to be a Ranger

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Poor fuel economy

I have approached Mazda on this poor fuel economy issue. I have the answer. It's the DPF. Diesel particulate filter. The stats in their website and everywhere else are false! I have also contacted ACCC. This is a clear case of false advertising. They claim the vehicle does 9.7l per 100 urban and 9.3l per 100 on highway. Rubbish! Your lucky if you get 11klm per 100. I just drove to Sydney, empty tank at 700ks. 100ks less than my last BT-50. More importantly, these false tests are generated by our government. Anyone interested in starting a class action lawsuit? I am. Paid 48 K for nothing. You now get better fuel economy out of a petrol vehicle and the fuel is cheaper.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

whats all the moaning

Bought a 4k traveled demo in Sept 2016, ( this made me nervous), read ups about transmission issues ( this makes me nervous) All terrain tyres, bull bar, roof racks- cage and canopy, snorkel ( fuel economy made me nervous) - all up now 70,000 Ks - so far only issue is the clock occasionally ( 1 out of 20 times after vehicle is started) reads the wrong time - stiff s*#* - not going to lose a days car use at the service center for that. The upshot on economy- is my 84K round daily commute ( of 18k suburbs n lights etc and 66k of freeway at 110k per hour) pulls approx. 9.4L per hundred ( computer says 9.0), which is good for a car this size and power with those restance bits added? ( you want 7s and 8s buy ya mums car) - this fully loded car often ( probably 15 times per year) pulls our 1.4 tonne camper through bush ( moderate 4x4 tracks) along hilly sand tracks and along beaches - ( last trip central coast to North of coffs- offroad into and onto beaches - home via hat head national park point plomer through to port macquarie off road and beaches) - computer says 12.5L per hundred ks ( probably 13 but all good towing) - No ute is really that "car like" as the manufactures advertise - they are ALL stiff supension bouncy banging tonka trucks around rutty corners and over potholes--however in straight line cruising this BT is like the long distance comfort kilometer eater-almost Prado like-big heavy - smooth n secure touring! offroad She burbles down low like a grunting lion over obsticals--heaps of fun big giant "different looking" vehicle ( slap a bull bar on the grinning grille)--Mazda ssheduled servicing since i had it ( although still couldn be bothered mentioning the clock)--great vehicle - would reccomend no probs--last word is ALL brands of these production vehicles have inherit issues that appear randomly in a production batch, Toyota DPFs / Ford un-even suspension and the list goes on- so far I have been luck and Mazda service (central coast has been outstanding) if the tranmission does play up -I can only hope its within warranty- so far I have certainly put the vehicle through what it was built for and nothin is busted yet!-- so I worry no more about transmission failures - whats the point!-- nor the damn clock--I traded a hilux , loved it, I dig the look of the Ranger ( best looker on the ute market) - at $8000 and $9,500 cheaper - I love the BeasTy 50

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Good, but have had some issues

The car is good to drive with plenty of power. We bought it to carry a slide on camper which it does with ease although we did upgrade the suspension system . Unfortunately it did get stuck in 4wd which took the dealership 4 weeks to fix and prevented us from using it for a planned trip around Australia. No one could tell us when it would be fixed, so we took off with our old 2001 Rodeo! Anyway, the problem was solved , after a new instrument cluster and Power console were fitted. The car just less than three years old with only 17000 km on clock , it was all done under warranty , do can't really complain . Mazda and dealership handled everything well , but was very annoying and frustrating. We just hope that from here on in we have no further large problems. We have been told to do oil changes in two stages. Don't drain it out all at once. Also apparently automatics have a problem when towing heavy loads. They overheat. Also, as with all these newer vehicles, you are unable to use low range on hard surfaces, when you want to move a large trailer around your yard which is frustrating. And the electric high low range solenoids appear to be problematic across all brands

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Drive4WD

I wouldnt say the best, but its not the worst.

Before I write this, you must know I drove every dual cab except for the RAM 2500 and the Ford Fseries

So I use my BT for getting to offroad camping sites saying that I have taken it on some serious tracks with the only change is a set of AT tyres. Everything else is stock.

For all those haters about fuel, stop putting your foot down and you will get good fuel economy.
I can drive any 4w4 and get bad fuel economy including the BT.
Most of these dual cabs are designed that if the turbo kicks in then change, I get an average around 8.8-9.4ltrs/100klms around town and down to 7.7-8.3.
Saying that I change at approx 1.7-2000rpm.
If you want to go fast go buy a Jeep SRT V8 petrol.
These 4w4s arent made for speed unless you want to chew fuel.

Thats the fuel conversation. You can agree with me or disagree, I dont really care. I know I get good fuel economy the way I drive. Saying that if I want to go fast I ride my bike.

As for the ride on the road of the BT its not the greatest like a sedan but its better than most of the other dual cabs. Get it offroad and its very smooth, Ive had it cruising on dirt tracks at 100kms/hr with no issue but must say that Ive had it in 4H to keep it stable. Its been through the Brindabellas (4w4 tracks) with no issue and had tyre pressures down to 18-20psi depending on how accurate the tyre gauge is, pick the right path and your all good.

I wanted something bigger than the normal Triton/Hilux size and the BT with the Amarok and Ranger are the biggest Dual Cabs except for the 79series. Saying that the BT was the best priced out of all of them.
The tray has plenty of room and the kids love the room in the back seats, I must say the Navara was the only one with A/C in the back and the Amarok was very comfy as well.

Ive got the manual gearbox and yes 6speed going through gears is annoying, so I miss every second gear usually but when off-road its great.

My pet hate in this car is the trip computer it has that stupid stick where the speedo is to check everything and the radio isnt the greatest, but they have upgraded that in the new series BT.

I came from driving Wagons, ie Patrols, Pajeros as well Ive had a Triton, Navara, Hilux and 75s LC.

The reason I bought the BT was because I wanted a tray to carry my camping gear and to then pick up wood from mates farms for fires. I wanted the 5cyl 3.2 for the powe and not to rev the hell out of a 4cyl 2ltr something, (the only 4w4 I drove that had better fuel economy with the same sort of power was the Navara but i feel the gearbox would die pretty quickly with all that power and the duramax clutch which I must say died in my Patrol after 40K+ and I know a lot more people had the same issues.)

Overall Ive had no issues with it (touch wood) coming from driving a Patrol as my last 4w4 I would say I trust the strength of the Patrol with everything, I just dont have the trust in the BT yet, saying that, Ive only done 12000klms in 4months. If I had the money I would buy the Toyota 79s LC GXL for its V8Turbo and its strength.

The BT will do nearly everything you want as long as you know what your doing.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Drive4WD

Well built and cheaper than competitors

It was a tough decision selecting a 4wd. I went with the BT-50 because it was cheaper than Hilux's/Rangers etc. and I'm very happy with my decision. Haven't had the dreaded problems of other utes.

Pros -

Powerful engine
Cabin (electronics, speakers, cup holders, upholstery etc. more like an SUV than a ute
IFS - very comfortable ride
Paintwork

Cons -
Exhaust. Had to upgrade,
Fuel economy - 10.2L/100k - could be better
Get my pants caught on the seat adjuster getting out

BadgeSDX
Date PurchasedMar 2015

Electrics

Baught this car after towing my caravan around AUS with my pajero no problems at all, bt50 chosen for more towing weight.
Air con crapped out, reversing lights don't work now and there's a delay in the gearbox when changing gears, I have a auto the car is OK but I'm not in love with it. I miss my pajero

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Heap of crap

Just a heads up on anyone thinking of buying a bt 50 / ranger automatic.Dont do it !!! I’ve bought 2 bt50 3.2 diesel autos. 2013 and 2015. At 170000 ks the 2013 blew the auto and the 2015 at 180000. Both utes always serviced on time and well maintained. Both utes approx 12 months out of warranty and Mazda just wipe they’re hands of it. What a joke. Absolute heap of S..t. Nearly $8000 out of pocket and couldn’t be more disappointed in both these utes. $40000 for a Ute that describes it as a workhorse. Probably not a bad car if you’re just doing shopping or picking up kids from school. Would never buy another one !!!

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Love it

Use for work every day, ordered heavy duty package and still had to beef up rear springs, serviced on time, no issues current, totally best car I've ever had. Only one dislike, parkers come on every time i open the door thus had to replace battery after 18 mths.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Poor economy10.8L vs 8.3L /100km

Our company has a fleet of Bt50, 4x4 that we have just replaced with 2018 model from the 2015 model. All of our 2015 models economy were between 8.3- 8.6 L/100km or around 950-1000km per 75L tank.
The new model is running 10.5- 10.8L/100km or around 700km per 75L tank. Some of our new models are up to 20,000km already so it’s not a running in problem. Very happy with the rest of the vehicle, but would great if Mazda could explain why there is a 25-30% increase of fuel use, so far service sept of local dealers haven’t been helpful on this aspect. I believe engine and running all the same as 2015 model

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Drive4WD

what a truck.....positively love it

totally in love with Mazda and my truck, HOWEVER it blew a rear seal at 10,000 Km's, fixed by Mazda, no cost, then on a trip around Australia towing the van it never made the first 5,000 Km's of it when it blew a front seal at 40,000 Km's, Oh Oh out of warranty but Mazda came to the party and replaced and repaired at no cost plus a free loan vehicle, down side is they released the oil out of my air -con and we had to finish the trip with no cooler, back home and Mazda fixed the issue once more at no charge....I've spent around $30,000 on my truck with upgrades including alloy running boards, tow pro mirrors, old man emu suspension,ARB long range tank, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, dual battery system with redarc BC-DC charging system, ARB solar panel, Mazda genuine alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, heavy tow bar, redarc remote electric brakes, 18" alloy rims with chunky rubber, draw system with fridge slide as well as an Engel fridge.....fuel economy for such a large vehicle is phenomenal averaging around 12 Ltrs Per 100 pulling an 18' van and about 7 running easy....plenty of pull up the steepest of mountains,....absolute shocker of a radio though, dont know what Mazda was thinking putting such a piece of crap like that in....all in all even with the breakdowns (2 of ) I am absolutely loving my truck and very pleased with Mazda's response

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Good Ute terrible electrics

Not a bad Ute comfy but electronics aaaaaaggggghhhh. Bcm supposedly failed due to two way, vehicle has less than 10000km constantly surges under load before two way fitted. Talked to a few other bt50 owners locally and they all say the same thing just put up with Mazda have no clue on a fix.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018