MPN: K12820SDCS

• Internal Layout

Very disappointed with top brand!

Water pools in the fridge regularly. Has leaked and swollen kitchen cabinet nearby. Freezes some items while others aren’t cold enough. If anything touches the back wall it pools water. We’ve always been very careful with handles as they looked bad design and cheap.....and now tonight it broke!!! And approx. $300 to replace! We thought the layout and design was good. We are very disappointed with performance. I’ll not be recommending.

Purchased at Brisbane Appliance Sales for $1,000.00.

Household Size3 person(s)
Markus D.

Markus D.South East Queensland, QLD

The worst appliance we have ever purchased

Firstly, as reported by other people the handle breaks after 2 years and has to be replaced. We are 4 years in now and now the door rubbers have all perished and fallen apart. But worst of all, this fridge has a serious water issue. It has leaked water out the back, and over a few years ha completely destroyed our bamboo flooring. It’s going to coast thousands to replace. Complete disaster.

Purchased in December 2016.

Rosie

RosiePerth, WA

Great fridge/freezer

So happy with the design (easy “cleanability”) and quality of our upright fridge/freezer combination.
Like others have mentioned, we did have an issue with one door handle. It deteriorated and eventually broke. But, even six years after purchase, Miele replaced at no cost to us.
I note that the new handle is more robust and so assume this issue has been addressed and should not deter anyone from making a purchase of this otherwise fabulous appliance.

Purchased at Harvey Norman.

Upright Fridges / Refrigerators

Find out how Miele K 12820 SD EDT/CS (Stainless Steel) compares to other Upright Fridges / Refrigerators

I thought Miele was a quality brand but it seems it sources parts from the cheapest supplier

After a couple of years of domestic use the door handle broke off. The handle is poorly designed and constructed of cheap, thin cast metal. I replaced the door handle and this replacement handle has also now broken in the same place, despite careful use. A new handle is $250+. If you are thinking of buying Miele, add about $80 per year for handles to the running cost of Miele when comparing brands brands to buy. I am extremely disappointed as our Miele dishwashers have all been good.

Purchased in December 2013.

Bruce
Bruce

DamoCanberra 2600, ACT

Broken handle, split seal....terrible design from a quality brand

We have the Miele fridge freezer combo. As with a lot of other reviews of this product, the handle on the fridge has snapped. Not happy as this is an expensive fridge/freezer combo and meant to be a quality brand.

To add to this, due to the broken handle and obviously having to open the fridge still, the seal in the fridge now has a split and also needs to be replaced.

I would hesitate to purchase another Miele product.

Purchased at The Good Guys.

Damo

Email sent with all information as requested.

Unhappy gal

Unhappy galSouth East Queensland, QLD

Lemon

Fridge freezer pigeon pair
Handles have been replaced.
Constantly fills with water regardless of how much I clean
Doors are covered in rust spots
Fridge seals broken
So disappointed
Recommendations for replacement seals?
Food goes off too fast
Never buy Miele again☹️

Purchased in April 2015 at David Jones Retail Stores for $4,598.00.

Nd

NdPerth, WA

Buyer beware !

This fridge freezer pigeon pair is an absolute waste of money. DO NOT BUY ! Our handle broke soon after warranty and a with many others we were told it would cost around $200 to replace. The seal has cracked and it constantly leaks as it requires you to manually unblock the drain hole ! Complete disappointment! We had a Miele dishwasher and washing machine but those too ended up not lasting longer than 5 years. We will be steering clear of all Miele products hence forth.

Purchased at The Good Guys.

JoannaPerth, WA

So disappointed - handles broken

Out entire kitchen is fitted Exclusively with Miele products. It was quite an investment to make but we thought it would be a good long term decision, unfortunately the fridge freezer combo has not lived up to expectations. First the fridge handle broke and now the freezer handle. I can’t justify the $217 (each!) replacement cost especially as I’m now on unpaid maternity leave.

Joanna

Hi Daniel, thanks very much for your prompt response, after emailing you as suggested, I have since followed up two times by email and still no phone call?

Miele representativeMiele

Hi Joanna, I'm sorry you've not heard back from our team, I've sent a follow up to our team. It can take 7 - 10 business days for our team to get in contact, and we do apologise for the delay. Kind regards, Daniel.

TotalCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Great fridge BUT Handle snapped off

This is the 2nd handle that has snapped on our fridge freezer combo. It looks as though the metal is too thin. Our replacement handle for our freezer was a slightly different design but over $200 direct from Miele. I would hesitate to purchase another fridge had I known this was a problem I think the fridge is fine otherwise.

Purchased in June 2016.

Total

Just an update Miele contacted me via phone today to offer a replacement handle free of charge. I feel that this is good customer service to fix a problem without hesitation. So well done Miele!!

Upright Fridges / Refrigerators

Great fridge freezer but really poor handles

Our freezer door handle just snapped without any force, for such a great freezer fridge side by side the handles are really poorly made, a real shame considering the great quality of the fridges/freezer themselves. Considering they cost circa $220 each this is not right and should not happen

Purchased in July 2012 at Harvey Norman.

Peter Pozor

Peter PozorSouth East Queensland, QLD

We also have Handle problems. Cheap plastic fittings. German quality?.

We also have Handle problems. Cheap plastic fittings. German quality?.
Miele is an expensive product but the handles are poorly designed and cheaply made...I very much doubt we will buy a Miele product again

Purchased in April 2020 at Appliances Direct Online for $1,300.00.

PaulGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Fridge handle breakage x2

Our miele fridge has had 2 door handles break. They are priced at $217 and no excessive force was used when it snapped. We regularly clean the air pipe inside the fridge to avoid vacuum build up but it still broke! For a company who prides itself on a high quality product I'm getting really disillusioned and will probably just lever the door open with our hand from now on rather than waste another $200 + dollars on an obvious design flaw.

Plato37

Plato37Brisbane

Poor design and quality of handles.

The handle of this refrigerator has broken - this is the second occasion. It really is time that Miele got to grips with this problem. The unit otherwise operates well (apart from the necessity of continually needing to attend to the drain). In spite of the fact that the handle problem is a design issue, Miele try to extract a small fortune to fix it!

Purchased in October 2013.

jcm4101

jcm4101Perth, WA

Don't let Miele charge you for broken door handles (Australia)

Purchased in January 2013 at Harvey Norman for $2,000.00.

Household Size2 person(s)
Pauly

Pauly

Not what you expect for an expensive fridge

I purchased the fridge and freezer combo about 6 years ago. I can’t fault the freezer but the fridge has had expensive issues. The fridge cost $4000 brand new but like others have mentioned - the drain hole blocks and next thing you know there’s water all sitting under the fridge. I have also had to replace the fridge handle twice at $217 each time! Now it’s broken for the third time so we have just tried to glue and pot rivet it back together, very disappointing considering the cost of this fridge. Inside is a good layout and is easy to clean.

Purchased at RetraVision for $4,000.00.

Vin

VinSydney, NSW

Side by side fridge

I pretty much have my house full of miele appliances. But the one disappointment that's really been annoying me is the fridge handle. In 7 years I have had to replace it 3 times and after a few years the handle breaks. Literally snaps broken. I've had a Fisher and Pykle for over 20 years that got a real thrashing when my son's were growing up. It's still being used in garage/man cave. Never ever had to replace the handle. Come on Miele do something about this annoying and expensive product flaw ????

Purchased for $3,000.00.

Household Size3 person(s)

Terrible

We are normally such Miele advocates but this was such an expensive waste of money. Fridge only has several design faults. The major one is the part of the handle that pushes the door apart from the fridge has had to be duct taped to give it extra omph to allow the door to open. The second flaw is that the fridge door doesn't beep when left open for an extended time. The door doesn't close automatically like other cheaper options. This is disastrous in a holiday home fridge. Returned to a big pool of water that caused damage to cabinetry. Thirdly, the fridge creaks like its haunted. Told the retailer and they said its normal. Ask yourself when youve woken up in the night to your fridge adjusting. Save yourself money and just don't buy it.

Purchased in December 2012.

Stefan van Rooij

Hmm.. great fridge very poor handle design

I been the owner of a house full of Miele appliances bough in 2014. I love their fridge freezer combo in stainless steel, they have great temperature control, nice LED lighting awesome soft close doors on both freezer fridge. But the handle to open the fridge and freezer lets it down. I now need to replace the handle on the fridge for the second time. This is disappointing and a design defect which should be sorted by Miele.
I don't know how this design got passed the German engineers, marketing manager pressure?

Kind regards

Stefan van Rooij

Purchased in June 2014 at Heatcote in Hamilton, NZ for $3,500.00.

BeeSouth West, WA

Handle fallen off fridge

We bought this fridge/freezer pair and have had trouble with water pooling at the back of the fridge - it needs regular cleaning out to avoid it wetting the floor.
And most recently the fridge handle just fell off. I contacted Miele directly and they said they wouldn't replace it, but would organise a technician to come and inspect it - at our cost.
It is such a simple fix - the handle needs replacing however they refused to do this. So disappointed, the fridge is out of warranty but a handle shouldn't fall off under the Fair Use Policy. Won't be buying again and still am without a fridge handle.

Purchased in September 2015.

Miele representativeMiele

Hi Belinda, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. We have received your email and will be in contact as soon as possible. Kind regards, Anna.

Bee

Thanks Anna, I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from you.

nzpixi

nzpixiSydney, NSW

This fridge has been a disappointment from day 1!

Purchased in December 2010 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores - Appliances for $2,000.00.

See all Miele 405L Upright K 12820 SD Series reviews