Miele K 12820 SD (White)

Miele K 12820 SD (White)

See the Best Upright Fridges / Refrigerators in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Andrew L

Andrew LSouth West, WA

Disappointed, great expectations.

I have owned a Miele K12820 for the last 3 years during this time the drip tray in the back of the fridge has blocked up so many times resulting in water leaking from the inside of the fridge on to the laminated floor boards which are now ruined. Initially I had a technician out to clear the drip tray but it is ridiculous that you are expected to clear this every month or so. The handle has also been an issue and now it is just about to break. Two significant design flaws on an expensive refrigerator.

Purchased in January 2016 at retrovision for $1,799.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 6 person(s)

C DSlo

C DSloDarling Downs, QLD

Significant Disadvantage

This fridge suits all of the required purposes. Two fruit and vegetable drawers are a particularly desirable feature. Door trays could be just 1cm deeper. Greatest disappointment is that the door handle broke after a year's use. We were always careful not to pull on it roughly especially if it had just closed so it is with huge dissatisfaction I had it break off in my hand. We have a 60 year old fridge in the shed and its handle is still sturdy and working. Longevity of design not considered.

Purchased in November 2017 for $899.00.

Broken handle AGAIN

After much research Miele Was the brand For me. I love, love my Miele fridge and freezer. I love the design and function. But the handle has broken 2 times. Why do they make them out of plastic. There is so much stress on the handle and for a product that is used often why plastic. I know I can buy a new handle but they are still plastic and I know the handle will continue to break. So disappointed.

Purchased in April 2014 at JB Hi-Fi.

Household Size 3 person(s)

Dianne CollinsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Crappy handle!!!!!!

This is a fantastic fridge except for the really poor design of the handle. An item that is under so much stress should not be made of plastic...really!!!!!
MINE HAS SNAPPED and I am not happy. I really dont want to pay for another one as the replacement is the same thing...no improvement is design or manufacture.
I will see if i can improvise another solution as the Miele product is no good.

Purchased in March 2014 for $2,800.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 2 person(s)
Dianne Collins

Thankyou Miele your customer service is fantastic

Jacqui41

Jacqui41Queensland

Both handles on Miele broken in less than 4 years.

These handles are plastic, who puts plastic handles on a $4000 fridge freezer set. I would not vuy this brand again. Apparently they are made to last 20 plus years. Great so for the next 16 years I have to tug the crap out of the doors just to open them. We have to leave the doors open if we are meal prepping, or tag team and get as much as we can in or out in one go. How embarrassing we have renovated our whole kitchen around this set and now everyone laughs at us.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Handle broke and now door seal

Handle broke within 12 months and now door seal is broken. Called Miele and was told that the whole door needs to be replaced at a cost of $400 + call out fee. I was told it would not be covered under warranty. Fridge is not even 3 years old! not happy to say the least. Would not buy again!

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Jack TaylorMiele

Hi Vincent, Miele appreciates your feedback and apologises for the inconvenience. We will continue to work closely with you to ensure a resolution is met. Kind regards, Miele.

Do not buy a Miele fridge

Terrible handle design. Has broken 3 times and now it's out of warranty they won't replace the handle. Freezer pair is fine but obviously doesn't get opened as much. Very regrettable expensive purchase. Leaks as well!!!
I am left with a fridge that we have wrestle open, is an embarrassment to us and should be to Miele!

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Jack TaylorMiele

Hi Steph, Miele appreciates your feedback and apologises for the inconvenience. We can confirm the Service booking has been scheduled to assess your appliance and Miele will work closely with you to ensure a resolution is met. Kind regards, Miele.

Consumer

ConsumerAU

Better with a new handle design

We recently had the handle replaced (under warrant, great service from Miele). The new design seems much stronger and gently breaks the seal before opening the door. The fridge itself works very well, and is extremely hardwearing and easy to clean. We have the pigeon pair and they look great together. This is our first Miele and I have been very impressed by all levels of design in this fridge.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Ginga Ninja

Ginga NinjaBrisbane

Not worth it

3 month old fridge and seal was faulty. This is being fixed under warranty by replacing the door and seal as they are one unit. I expect this would be very expensive if not under warranty. Rear internal wall gets very wet and you cant store things against it. We were advised that's just how it works. Like some other reviewers we have had cheese go off with mould. I guess we are lucky as we have not yet broken a handle but sounds like it will only be a matter of time. Miele should stick to vacuum's!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Macca

Macca

Handle not fit for purpose

This is a good fridge rendered frustrating by a very inferior handle. Two handles have broken within 4 years. One was replaced under warranty and one free with a little persistence. We were told to use a two stage action and wait, to break the seal - which is unrealistic considering the fridge is used by visitors and grandkids. Also that the drain hole can ice up causing a too strong seal - which has not been a problem for us. The handle is obviously just not strong enough and Miele should admit the problem and provide a better designed one free to all. It is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
Full marks though to CustomerCare (email, not phone) who responded to email within an hour - and new handle arrived within 24 hours.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Nick

Nick

A very Low quality fridge and freezer handles.

Just 4 months out of 2 year warranty, cast iron handle snapped off, cost $179.00 visit fee only without replacing the handle which the technician did not have despite giving them a full description of the part. plus the cost of the handle $144.00 which will be send to me to replace it myself otherwise fees will apply. A product big time waste of money, I wish I read reviews before buying. now I'm spending money I haven't got.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Wendy

WendyTHIRLMERE

Good Fridge but poor/weak handle design.

Excellent fridge, very quiet, easy to clean and trouble free until May 2017, when the handle unexpectedly snapped off. Not at all happy when Miele's response was that I was not opening the fridge correctly by releasing the seal slowly, before opening the door. This has caused undue stress on the bracket. I'm sorry but that is just unrealistic!

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Michelle

MichelleGladstone

Heaps of room.

Keeps the temperature at a good level. Easy to clean. Heaps of room. Makes a few little funny sounds that take a bit to get used to. However you can't put things in front of the fan which everyone does because it looks like an empty spot but makes the temperature heat up.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

plodder

plodderMelbourne

Great fridge - crap handles

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Repeated broken handle on fridge now the freezer

The fridge and Freezers were purchased together 4 yrs ago. Very happy with both units in every area except the door handles. We have had to replace the fridge handle 3 times and now the freezer handle has broken. Worried we were to rough. Agent replacing the handle told us it was a common fault and he has replaced multiple handles. The handles are made of an alloy that becomes weak and cracks. Miele did replace 1st two handles however now on our own as out of warrantee and the handles cost over $130.00 each. Ouch!!!

Date PurchasedJan 2013
Robert5757

Robert5757Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

The best of the Best

My old fridge-freezer died of old age. I already had a stand=alone Freezer (different brand). My Miele is superb, All food seems to keep much better than before. Vegetables keep particularly well
Price? Surprisingly this fridge was no more expensive than many other Premium Brands on the market. It is completely silent which, initially, was a bit disconcerting for with previous refrigerators you could always tell when they switched to Defrost and, over time, when just operating.
I would recommend this fridge to all

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Same problem 2nd time round

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Grumpy Wife

Grumpy Wife

What a Disappointment!

We bought Fridge/Freezer Water dripping from fridge/not draining within fridge is an ongoing problem. The handle has split on the edge of the fridge - poor design. Our pair are differing shades of white - we were advised they are made at different factories. Suggested we (at our own expense) have them sprayed in enamel that matches.

Style_Meets_Emotion

Style_Meets_EmotionSydney, NSW

Exemplary partner to the Miele FN 12827 S, Reliable, great looking, and perfect!

farmgirl

farmgirlAU

the most beautiful fridge/freezer combo

Consumer

Consumerasked

I am having trouble with water not draining away through the little drain yet I can't seem to reach anything that may be blocking it...any ideas? Have tried to use a straw.

Joe

Joeasked

My refrigerator is 5y old. I had this kind of noises since the beginning but recently they became much more loud.
One noise is kind of LOUD BANG - as if somebody hit the refrigerator body with a hammer. Initially it was not as loud. When I made inquiry with the Miele service they said that it is nothing wrong. Maybe it is not but because it has became rather too loud I am concerned.
The other noise that is more noticeable than earlier is the noise as if it was a fluid bubbling into a container.
Anybody has any comment on these noises? Should I contact Miele specialists?
Joe

Hi Joe

Bubbling is normal, usually the coolant shuffling about. Our has always made some dripping noises et cetera, as the back wall defrosts and water runs down the hole and out to the container on the compressor to evaporate. Usually louder banging sounds are metal pipes expanding and/or contracting slightly. However a really loud bang could indicate an issue. As it would be even past its extended warranty if bought, as long as it's still working, I wouldn't worry.
Cheers

Jeanaasked

Fridge door pops open about 20 seconds after you close it. What do I have to do to fix it?

Hi Jeana,

Can you explain a bit more? It should only open by pulling the handle, or is you handle sticking then "popping" which pops the fridge door open?

Cheers
Josh

Jeana

There was a broken plastic clip in bottom door hinge jamming the door. From memory part 14 in diagram of door.

Get an answer from our members and Miele representatives

CategoryUpright Fridges / Refrigerators