Nilfisk GD5 Backpack

11 reviews · Statistics

45% · 56 · 55%

Product is used
  • Daily (1)
  • Several times a week (1)
Pet OwnerYes (1) · No (1)
Noise Level
Brand Manager for Nilfisk? Claim your listing.
See the Best Vacuum Cleaners in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Nilfisk GD5 Backpack11 reviews
Phill
PhillNSWHunter Region, NSW2 posts

Design fault

We had 4 of these operation in our school.
All failed because dust gets through the filters into the motors.
When heat builds up with constant use the motor suspension rubber deforms (permanently) and allows dust into the motors. This in turn cause the motor to fail.
This is a commercial vacuum. Using it for long periods shouldn't be a problem.
Regular cleaning of the bags has not helped. Motors are half the price of the unit to replace.
The motor suspension kits if you catch the issue early are in very short supply from Nilfisk.
Just shake the vacuum up and down to see if your suspension rubber has deformed.
You can feel the motor move around. Show details
Jennifer
JenniferQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

Cheap garbage - Avoid

This thing is nothing but cheap garbage. I only had mine for 7 months and not only were the straps fraying from week 2, the ridiculous power cord that always kinks broke, exposing live wires and causing sparks.

Returned and luckily got my money back, I will never, ever buy this brand again.

Trang
TrangBrisbane4 posts

Works well

It does a good job at vaccuuming dusts. This is the type that you wear on your back which I think is very convenient since you can access more areas and can move around easily. The cord is quite long as well so I was able to vaccuum my 2 story house without unplugging too many times.

Chris
Chris

cheap and nasty

We run commercial cleaning company at the moment we have approximately 45 GD5's which are light and quiet but are consistently braking down the manufacturer has been less than helpful we are slowly changing to a different brand I do not recommend this unit for commercial use only for mum and dad use

Heather M
Heather MGold Coast26 posts
Eve
EveWAPerth, WA32 posts

Great Machine

I love backpack vacuums due to the ease of operation and speed that you can around in, compared to floor machines. Nilfisk is an excellent brand and this backpack has super suction and a sturdy design. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to get the job done quickly and easily!

Mike
Mike

Lemon

I have had the GD-5 Back for about 4 years. It gets used on carpet about 1 x hour every 2 months. about 2 years ago. I too burnt out a motor. Today, it seems another one has burnt out. I really thought Nilfisk were the tops. Not so.

Mereana
MereanaMelbourne

Disappointed :(

I have had my Vacuum for only 6 weeks and the motor over heated causing the power to shut off. I took it into my local godfreys store to have it looked at and both staff members have told me that the motors can not handle the amount of work that it's doing. I clean between 5-10 homes (including my own) per week. I bought vacuum as it was recommended by salesperson. After it was repaired i was told again that the motor is likely to heat up again because the motors to small and not built to vacm more than 1 house a day. I am not happy to hear this after only having it for 6 weeks :/ Am anticipating to return it for a total refundou or exchange.

yvonne.stapleton.7
yvonne.stapleton.7WAPerth, WA

Great BackPack Vacuum!

I've had a Nilfisk GD5 BackPack for 2-3 years, and use it at home, plus as a cleaner for other people's homes. The frame on one side (that holds the shoulder strap) just snapped off last weekend, but still feel I got my money's worth on this machine. Was great to use and lightweight, and the motor was still going strong. I'm going to try a PacVac Superpro 700 BackPack next. I hate using barrel vacuums and uprights, so recommend to everyone to use a backpack machine, it's so much easier :)
Lightweight, Quieter, Reliable Machine
The plastic black frame that holds the straps could probably do with a bit of redesigning, otherwise excellent. Show reply
Reny
RenyNSWSydney, NSW26 posts
steve33
steve33tully

quality substandard

being the owner of a nilfisk back pack, when the old one packed it in i went without looking at other brands and purchased a new gd5. in the last 12 months i have replaced the brush twice ( once the swivel section broke and now the latest one has fallen to pieces), now the latest fiasco is the frame for the carry straps has broken. when i inquired about getting a relacement the dealer told me he is getting some in as they are a problem. the quality is nowhere near that of my old one.

quality