4G Mobile Broadband, 5G Mobile Broadband
See the Best Mobile Broadband Providers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Optus? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Paul
PaulSydney, NSW

Unreliable

Worked well for a week then the modem would drop out from 5G to 4G then nothing. When it drops out out you need to reset the modem which works sometimes but not always. When it did have a tower, it was maximum signal strength, as the tower was only 200m away. Great when working (800mbps) but that means nothing when it’s so unreliable despite being direct line of sight and 200m from the tower.

Tony C
Tony CSydney, NSW

The worst internet provider I have ever come across

crabus
crabusHunter Region, NSW

Stopped providing 5G in my area

We signed up for 5G Home Internet nearly a year ago when it was available and advertised in our area, and it stopped working 2 days ago. We checked the map, and it seems like it's just not available here anymore! Customer service is non existent, it's almost impossible to get hold of anyone, and when you get through to someone, they bounce you around as you always land on the wrong department, or on some incompetent person. Appalling service, p[pathetic company.

forghetto
forghettoSydney, NSW

AWESOME

Mobile Broadband Providers

Find out how Optus Wireless Broadband compares to other Mobile Broadband Providers

John K
John KSydney, NSW

So very variable. From good to terrible

Had Optus cable broadband for more than a decade - was generally very good. Forced to change when cable killed went to 4G. Have tower across the road but still bad

Josh M.
Josh M.Sydney, NSW

Constant dropouts even while mobile phone stays connected

I've been using Optus 4g for about a years without issue but with only a 500gb download limit I switched to this 5g plan to get unlimited. This has been the worst mistake I could make during the lockdown in Sydney.

I live in Chippendale and get great signal on 2 mobile phones with optus but this router just disconnects every 5 minutes and apparently this modem requires a restart when it loses signal. The technical support team are blaming the maintenance on the tower, as though that's a good enough response. Why would maintenance on a tower make my modem turn off but not disconnect me from my phone internet?

I'll be avoiding Optus as much as possible from now on after how difficult the whole Optus team have made this.

Adam
AdamSydney, NSW

A $90 Pee Month Disappointment

We live in Roselands NSW. After ADSL2+ was discontinued in January 2021, we chose Optus 5g at $90 a month.

It has been a complete and utter disappointment. The tower is only 150 metres away. The signal from the supplied Nokia modem barely penetrates the upper level of a two story house, despite the modem being tuned and located on the upper level. Little effective signal on the ground floor. Time and time again we’ve been forced to watch free to air TV due to low signal strength.

Do yourself a favour; don’t waste your time with Optus 5g mobile broadband. A $90 a month failed experiment.

Top Internet & Mobile Phone Service Providers in 2020!

Wendy Z.22 Nov 2019
top-internet-mobile-phone-service-providers-in-2020
edwin c.
edwin c.Sydney, NSW

No accountability

Hal
HalSydney, NSW

terrible internet’s connection

5G signal is very weak and no one from optus team is will help. I have a case manager that won’t ring back, this has been going on for a month

Euan
EuanSydney, NSW

Very poor upload speeds

I signed up to Optus 5G this week (luckily with a one month trial). I have good 5G connection - the lights are green on the router. My download speed varies from 90-360Mbps. My upload speed varies from 0.25-1.8Mbps. That is not a typo. According to the Optus 5G team "we can't guarantee upload speeds". My vodafone mobile gets upload speeds of 15MBps (i ran the test at the same time). My Telstra 4GX would typically get 18-30Mbps upload speeds (but there is an outage, 8 days and counting) which is why i trialed the Optus. It will be going back.

Broseph24
Broseph24Sydney, NSW

Constant connection dropouts

5G home internet using the Nokia modem provided by Optus. Currently living in Kingsgrove NSW.
Initial setup and connection was ok but noticed first couple of months having it (signed up Feb 2021) I regularly have to restart the modem as the connection drops. The past couple of weeks I have experienced the dropouts 3-5 times a day. Each time requiring a modem reboot. I have relocated the modem several times already and hasn't resolved/improved the issue I am having. I have reported this multiple times to Optus support but always been told to either restart the modem or relocate it. Good concept but Optus 5G network is just lacking! Beware if you are thinking of purchasing.

JackyTran
JackyTranMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Trash internet

Unstable. Unreliable internet. Countless times going back to Optus chat to technicians only to be told turn off, turn on, reset, change network settings on modem. Still didnt fix anything

John K
John KSydney, NSW

The worst customer service ever - Optus needs to be shutdown

Graham
GrahamSydney, NSW

Optus 5G service home broadband service failure

I have been on Optus 5G home broadband for about 1 year and the service has been getting progressively worse, not better. The signal drops out for hours on end at all times of day and night. I keep getting told that it is because of maintenance on the tower but this is just not true. I keep getting dates from Optus regarding the maintenance completion but it makes no difference to the drop outs. I have line of site to the tower and my modem is set up in front of a window directly facing the tower. The drop outs are not caused by low signal to my modem, they are caused by the Optus technology not maintaining their 5G service. Optus 5G home broadband is a dodgy service and the Optus technicians are incapable of fixing the problem.

J9
J9North-West & West coast, TAS

Better than expected

Craig
Craigasked
4G Mobile Broadband

Huawei B818 modem and mobile broadband is extremely unreliable, sometimes it works perfectly at 40M/p/s some times 0.2m/p/s. When you plug in ethernet cable Huawei B818-completely stops working. I want to understand how to fix?

ralph.dixon.3990
ralph.dixon.3990asked

How much to buy the B818 4G WiFi Modem outright

Hi Ralph,

Optus list the B818 modem as part of a month to month plan with the price being $281 for the first month ($216 for the modem and $65 for the 200GB plan). Due to this, I would believe that $216 would be the RRP for this modem.

You might be better off calling your closest Optus store (if they're still open at all with this pandemic happening) as I have had to go to one of their stores to purchase a modem outright in the past (or in my case, a replacement modem due to dropping my old one and breaking it). I can't remember if I had to prove that I had an existing plan with them already so if you're trying to buy a modem without having a plan be sure to check that you can buy one in that situation first.

Also, if you're currently on one of the Wireless Broadband plans, there is a clause in the Critical Information Summary which says that you can't remove the SIM from your existing device so if you are looking to replace your current device with this modem be sure to check that you can do so.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Thanks,
Zach.

Kim M.
Kim M.asked

Will my 500gig role over on to the next lot if I don't use it all that month

Hi Kim,

It's probably a bit late for my reply but I'll answer nonetheless.

Data doesn't rollover, if you don't use all of your 500GB for the month, you'll still only get your standard 500GB for the next month.

Thanks,